[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Luther

Luther

OK, i know he has zero connection with Motown. I play this song every morning as I prepare for work, it is such an awesome song. Well, maybe the song isn't awesome, but the production is. Please listen to the the bass, the guitar, the drums, but most of all the braying horns... Masterful!!!!
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 09-17-2018 at 04:54 PM.

OH THOSE HORNS! All gone. Sad. I'm hoping someone knows what horns are!

Anyone out here like this? Let me know if anyone still likes this because I feel I'm the last guy standing.....

Horns....what happened?

Mike
    I like Luther's KoKo stuff. Have one of the Kent twofers.
    I wanted the singles CDs, and found one in my go to shop. Put it on one side as a MUST buy.
    Forgot to put it with the other CDs and left a behind duhh.
    Phoned shop next day....GONE

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    OK, i know he has zero connection with Motown. I play this song every morning as I prepare for work, it is such an awesome song. Well, maybe the song isn't awesome, but the production is.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  21.1 KB
    Actually, he had a loose connection to Motown, singing 6 songs with tracks recorded in Detroit [[2 of which he also recorded vocals in Detroit), all of which were produced by ex-Motowner, Robert Bateman, a couple of which were written by ex-Motowner, Richard "Popcorn" Wylie, and whose music was played by The Funk Brothers in 1964, with the others in 1964 and 1965.
    Here's his total Detroit production:

OK, I know he has zero connection with Motown. I play this song every morning as I prepare for work, it is such an awesome song. Well, maybe the song isn't awesome, but the production is.
    /watch?v=o3nTg5kNEeo[/video]
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  21.1 KB
    Actually, Luther Ingram had a loose connection to Motown, singing 6 songs with tracks recorded in Detroit [[2 of which he also recorded vocals in Detroit), all of which were produced by ex-Motowner, Robert Bateman, a couple of which were written by ex-Motowner, Richard "Popcorn" Wylie, and whose music was played by The Funk Brothers in 1964, with the others in 1964 and 1965.
    Here's his total Detroit production:

This was produced by Robert Bateman, arranged by Sonny Sanders, written by Popcorn Wylie, published by Brianbert Music, and recorded in Detroit, played by The Funk Brothers in 1964.
    Last edited by robb_k; 09-18-2018 at 12:48 AM.

This one was also produced by Bateman and written by Wylie. It was the original, which Jamo Thomas covered, and got the bigger hit. But this is better:

This one, by Ingram in 1965, also produced by Bateman [[but in New York), was written by Detroiter, Fred Bridges. Wilson Pickett and Bridges sang this [[all 3 produced by Bateman Bridges fully produced in Detroit, is the best)):

Well, maybe the song isn't awesome, but the production is. Please listen to the the bass, the guitar, the drums, but most of all the braying horns... Masterful!!!!
    The song is awesome. The musicianship of the time period is one of the reasons why so much of this stuff is highly regarded over the stuff coming out today. IMO the horns really do take a spotlight here. I'm a sucka for horns.

There I was thinking this thread was going to be about Luther Vandross

I only know Luther Ingram for "[[If Loving You Is Wrong) I Don't Want To Be Right". I'll check out these other cuts and get back to you guys...

I totally agree with Mike and Ran, a horn section can totally win me over in any song. I swear, you slap some horns on any old garbage and I'll probably love it.

[[Ok, I once tried getting into a full-on heavy metal band that had a horn section and I almost gave in, but had to resist.)