[REMOVE ADS]

Aretha questions.

The first post disappeared due to a site malfunction but I wanted to continue questions and comments regarding Aretha. I was behind discovering this but I recently got Aretha and The Philharmonic Orchestra. That production is just brilliant! I was hoping for more of her hits but the 14 tracks they did are just, what shall I say.....majestic! What a unique concept and it left me wanting more. I'm sure Aretha got to hear this as it was released in Nov. 2017 I believe. I have to wonder what she thought of it. This is a keeper. I also saw they did one on the Beach Boys and Roy Orbison. Nothing can compare really of the original recordings but this certainly comes close. Beautifully done.

There was a bit of controversy when this was released. I wasn't knocked out by it when I first heard it, but I wasn't against it. I've played it quite often and have come to enjoy it. In recent weeks, it has been one of the few Aretha cds that I have listened to. It reminds of the times I would see Aretha in concert backed by a full orchestra.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanj06 View Post
    The first post disappeared due to a site malfunction but I wanted to continue questions and comments regarding Aretha. I was behind discovering this but I recently got Aretha and The Philharmonic Orchestra. That production is just brilliant! I was hoping for more of her hits but the 14 tracks they did are just, what shall I say.....majestic! What a unique concept and it left me wanting more. I'm sure Aretha got to hear this as it was released in Nov. 2017 I believe. I have to wonder what she thought of it. This is a keeper. I also saw they did one on the Beach Boys and Roy Orbison. Nothing can compare really of the original recordings but this certainly comes close. Beautifully done.
    nathan I totally agree!!!! The production is absolutely wonderful and gave me renewed appreciation for all her classics. So very well done and immensely enjoyable!!!

As for wanting more, I too looked into any similar album projects with the Philharmonic Orchestra... and, besides their own classical stuff, they are mostly in the rock genre...

I also would love to know what Aretha thought of it herself. I really hope she liked it. I certainly do.

HOLD ON... look what I found...!!!!

https://www.discogs.com/The-Royal-Ph...lease/12256779

Not sure what I make of this LOL

Wow this is confusing but I think I like it...

Quote Originally Posted by pghmusiclover View Post
    I saw an interview where she had stated Stevie and Elton were going to be contributors to this project but at the end it was said it never got to materialize due to Aretha's health. It's so hard to believe she's gone. I loved her Atlantic output since 1967 through 1971 and back then the big artists were always consistent having a new single not long after the last one.

Tomato Tom 123, not too sure on those you posted but "Imagination" sounds nice. These Aretha tracks are all fascinating to hear. I'm hoping they re-release the Complete Columbia set again. $749 - $999 on ebay. No thanks.

I still don't like what they did to Angel... should've left that one alone.

Tomato Tom 123, not too sure on those you posted but "Imagination" sounds nice. These Aretha tracks are all fascinating to hear. I'm hoping they re-release the Complete Columbia set again. $749 - $999 on ebay. No thanks.
    Try this one nathan... I can definitely get into this...

The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra even get a little funky there...

The ultimate Motown track. I could listen to that in any variation. Aside from Martha's vocals I have the instrumental backing track which is just incredible. Another great version, believe it or not, is by Petula Clark. So many have covered this.

What are your favorite Atlantic singles? There were very few I didn't like but here goes.

Singles:
    1. Respect / Dr. Feelgood
    2. Baby I Love You
    3. A Natural Woman
    4. Chain Of Fools / Prove It [[How can you not?) Love that unedited version too.
    5. Since You've Been Gone / Ain't No Way
    6. Think / You Send Me
    7. See Saw
    8. The House That Jack Built / I Say A Little Prayer
    9. I Can't See Myself Leaving You
    10. Call Me
    11. Don't Play That Song
    12. You're All I Need To Get By / Pullin'
    13. Bridge Over Troubled Water [[Single edit)
    14. Spanish Harlem
    15. Rock Steady [[Da bomb!) / Oh Me Oh My
    16. Until You Come Back To Me

Forgot to mention:
    I Never Loved A Man / Do Right Woman - Do Right Man
    Last edited by nathanj06; 09-20-2018 at 11:43 AM.

What are your favorite Atlantic singles? There were very few I didn't like but here goes.

Singles:
    1. Respect / Dr. Feelgood
    2. Baby I Love You
    3. A Natural Woman
    4. Chain Of Fools / Prove It [[How can you not?) Love that unedited version too.
    5. Since You've Been Gone / Ain't No Way
    6. Think / You Send Me
    7. See Saw
    8. The House That Jack Built / I Say A Little Prayer
    9. I Can't See Myself Leaving You
    10. Call Me
    11. Don't Play That Song
    12. You're All I Need To Get By / Pullin'
    13. Bridge Over Troubled Water [[Single edit)
    14. Spanish Harlem
    15. Rock Steady [[Da bomb!) / Oh Me Oh My
    16. Until You Come Back To Me

Forgot to mention:
    I Never Loved A Man / Do Right Woman - Do Right Man
    Good question; in addition to ones you listed I'd like to add-
    1. "Lean On Me' [[B-side of "Spanish Harlem")
    2. "Angel"
    3. "All The King's Horses"/"April Fools"
    4. "Something He Can Feel"
    5. "Daydreaming"
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 09-20-2018 at 12:00 PM.

1. Angel
    2. Respect/Dr. Feelgood
    3. [[You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman
    4. I Never Loved A Man/Do Right Woman - Do Right Man
    5. Since You've Been Gone/Ain't No Way
    6. Think/You Send me
    7. I Say A Little Prayer
    8. Until You Come Back To Me
    9. Daydreamin'
    10.Rock Steady/Oh Me, Oh My

All good ones. I'm getting re-familiar with her albums from the Atlantic Collection and the next one will be Amazing Grace. I'm going to wait until the Rare & Unreleased to listen to Lean On Me and probably add it to Young, Gifted & Black on my iTunes. It's great to create your own song sequence if you want. Personally I liked the title song, "Young, Gifted & Black" and made it the opener and then "Rock Steady". I also added the non-album singles "Spanish Harlem" and "Bridge Over Troubled Water". I removed "First Snow" and "Didn't I [[Blow Your Mind This Time)" which I did not care for those especially the latter. It was wayyyyy off course and The Delphonics version was superior. For Aretha it was just a bad arrangement. Just my opinion. Over the years many albums had such odd sequencing. I know The Beatles hated what Capitol/EMI did with their album sequencing. I changed some of mine around as I "felt" they should have been. It's just a fun option we can do these days. Anyway, Aretha had some awesome B-sides and album tracks.

Tough to put a top ten. She had so many. BUT if I was forced to choose:

1.) Respect
    2.) Ain't No Way
    3.) Angel
    4.) Think
    5.) Call Me
    6.) Dr. Feelgood
    7.) Rock Steady
    8.) I Say a Little Prayer
    9.) Bridge Over Troubled Water
    10.) Natural Woman

Then the honorable mentions would be:
    1.) Mister Spain [[honestly that Hey Now Hey album is really underrated)
    2.) Oh Baby
    3.) Until You Come Back to Me
    4.) Something He Can Feel
    5.) I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You
    6.) Oh Me Oh My [[I'm a Fool for You Baby)
    7.) Walk Softly
    8.) Daydreaming
    9.) Brand New Me
    10.) Spirit in the Dark

Then add some bonus cuts:
    1.) You Send Me
    2.) The House That Jack Built
    3.) Good to Me As I Am To You
    4.) Baby I Love You
    5.) A Change Is Gonna Come
    6.) Never Let Me Go
    7.) Niki Hoeky
    8.) Today I Sang the Blues [[the Soul '69 version)
    9.) That's the Way I Feel About Cha [[Aretha and the background whooping and hollering she does gets to me)
    10.) Let It Be

...and these are just THIRTY tracks. It's HARD. I would have to make a top 100!!! That's how many great songs Aretha had. And these are JUST the Atlantic songs!!!

I had all of her Atlantic vinyl in the 80s but don't remember anything past Young, Gifted & Black. My fave albums I had when they came out were, Lady Soul, Now and Aretha's Gold. I see Quincy Jones produced her "Hey Now Hey" which I never understood that title but I'll find something about it. I wonder why they went to an outside producer for her at that point. I thought her last best work was "Let Me In Your Life" with "Until You Come Back To Me". That was a nice surprise and then finding out later it was a Stevie Wonder song.

midnightman, There wasn't a limit so you can put as many as you want. I just used singles as a guideline. She does have so many great songs, you're right.

Then you'd probably enjoy her operatic turn for Luciano P. Superb classic runs!

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    Then you'd probably enjoy her operatic turn for Luciano P. Superb classic runs!
    A truly legendary performance.