[REMOVE ADS]

Amy/Duffy Comparison

Although neither Amy Winehouse or Duffy could be considered soul, we do allow ourselves to stray off topic once in a while so I wanted to bring this subject up. Today I came across the Duffy CD in my collection that contained "Mercy," and for the first time, the similarities between her and Amy occurred to me.

Both British of course and the driving beats of their signature hits were quite similar. Yet Duffy only had the one hit in the US whereas Amy appeared poised to be a big time star if her demons had not gotten in the way.

Any thoughts on these two and why Duffy never made more of an impact in America?

Hey david, I consider both Amy and Duffy to be very soulful!! Blue-eyed soul if I've ever heard any.

Anyway, I definitely agree with you on the similarity between the two. "Mercy" is definitely in that Amy Winehouse retro-pop-soul vein. As to why Duffy didn't have continued success in the US, I don't think she really had it in the UK either! "Mercy" was her only really big hit here I think.

I would also mention Paloma Faith here... she has taken the Amy-style soul-influenced pop to much greater crossover success.
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 09-16-2018 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    As to why Duffy didn't have continued success in the US, I don't think she really had it in the UK either! "Mercy" was her only really big hit here I think.
    Ah this fool doesn't know what he’s on about...

In the UK Duffy DID have a follow-up hit, "Warwick Avenue", which is really very good...

"Mercy" got to #1, "Warwick Avenue" got to #3!
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 09-16-2018 at 07:26 PM.

Paloma Faith...

Yes please

I also have a Paloma Faith CD which I bought after hearing and liking one particular song. But right now I have no memory of what that song was. If you knew how many CDs I have in my collection, you would understand!

Thanks for the input.

Duffy pretty much killed her career in the UK at least with this advert - it's not pleasant vocally...

Quote Originally Posted by JM27 View Post
    Duffy pretty much killed her career in the UK at least with this advert - it's not pleasant vocally...

Lol... that's not a great advert...

This is the lead single from Duffy's second album Endlessly... "Well, Well, Well"... which wasn't a very big hit, but I think it's pretty good...

Apparently Duffy has taken a hiatus from recording music since then so there...

Love them both. Amy was more jazz-influenced and had a much darker outlook and sound while Duffy is more pop based and 'sunnier' - but both indeed sing in a soulful idiom. I was sad to loose Amy and look forward to more from Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Ah this fool doesn't know what he’s on about...

In the UK Duffy DID have a follow-up hit, "Warwick Avenue", which is really very good...

"Mercy" got to #1, "Warwick Avenue" got to #3!
    Hi Tom - 'Warwick' is a great cut - loved the entire lp !