[REMOVE ADS]

Obama Not At Aretha's Funeral

Has it been stated why Obama didn't attend Aretha Franklin's funeral in person? [[sent a note instead). I haven't read anything one way or another about his not going.

Seems odd. She was certainly there for him!

I don't think Obama made an official statement as to why he couldn't attend. He attended McCain's funeral the next day, so perhaps it wasn't possible to attend both.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I don't think Obama made an official statement as to why he couldn't attend.
    He attended McCain's funeral the next day, so perhaps it wasn't possible to attend both.
    Bill Clinton attended both funerals.

I haven't heard it being said that Obama "couldn't" attend. [[??)

I believe Pres. Obama was at John McClain's funeral. He delivered the eulogy.

Yes that's already been discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Bill Clinton attended both funerals.

I haven't heard it being said that Obama "couldn't" attend. [[??)
    A few people attended both. Clinton, for one. I know a senator from Michigan also stated on TMZ that she would attending both.

From what I understand, McCain personally asked Obama to speak at his funeral, whenever that happened to be. So Obama was already committed to that. As Aretha's funeral had little lead time, I have no idea what Obama might have also committed to on that date, 8/31.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    As Aretha's funeral had little lead time, I have no idea what Obama might have also committed to on that date, 8/31.
    It'd be interesting to know wouldn't it.
    It must have been something very very important.

He should have been at Aretha's services. Heck! The Pope should have been at Aretha's services!

Amen!
    [[screw the pope though)

Mr. Obama had a message read during the service and that was RESPECT enough for Aretha, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Desjardines View Post
    Mr. Obama had a message read during the service and that was RESPECT enough for Aretha, in my opinion.
    Yeah he had Rev. Al Sharpton read it. Michelle Obama could have been there though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Desjardines View Post
    I'm surprised you feel that way, but you and Mr. Obama are in agreement about that.

Amen!
    [[screw the pope though)
    LOL I love the contradiction in this post Boogie

And meanwhile, The Grand Dragon of Kremlin West had the [[expected) temerity to say she "worked for [him]." AND didn't show up.

Quote Originally Posted by boogiedown View Post
    amen!
    [[screw the pope though)
    please don't say[screw]and the[pope]in the same sentence,hehehe!!

Obama was already committed to McCain's funeral because he promised him he'd deliver the eulogy. Aretha's passing came almost unexpectedly. Even with a few of us who knew she was sick or ill, we didn't know HOW sick because Aretha kept her health issues very private until it was leaked out and she was unable to control the narrative anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    And meanwhile, The Grand Dragon of Kremlin West had the [[expected) temerity to say she "worked for [him]." AND didn't show up.

I loved this especially when he starting listing things that were unique to Detroit! I almost fell out when he did that. LOL!

I couldn't help but wonder as I watched the funeral services online if the presence of
    Michael Eric Dyson had anything to do with Obama's choice to not show up. Is anyone here
    aware that he and Dr Cornell West spent the last year of Obama's presidency attacking him in the media as ruthlessly as he did Trump at times. I've enjoyed Michael Eric as a
    writer, his books on Marvin Gaye and Tupac were IMO quite good. I've also liked Dr West's work and commentary most recently in the John Coltrane doc Chasing Trane. The
    thing of it is for me is that both of them as well as Farrakhan himself in speech sometimes hit bull's eyes and sometimes spit bullshit. I don't remember ever hearing
    of Dyson reconciling with the Obamas....

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    I couldn't help but wonder as I watched the funeral services online if the presence of
    Michael Eric Dyson had anything to do with Obama's choice to not show up. Is anyone here
    aware that he and Dr Cornell West spent the last year of Obama's presidency attacking him in the media as ruthlessly as he did Trump at times. I've enjoyed Michael Eric as a
    writer, his books on Marvin Gaye and Tupac were IMO quite good. I've also liked Dr West's work and commentary most recently in the John Coltrane doc Chasing Trane. The
    thing of it is for me is that both of them as well as Farrakhan himself in speech sometimes hit bull's eyes and sometimes spit bullshit. I don't remember ever hearing
    of Dyson reconciling with the Obamas....
    Interesting. This was supposed to be about Aretha. Obama's not that small is he?

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    please don't say[screw]and the[pope]in the same sentence,hehehe!!
    yes sorry arr&bee . that could've been worded differently!

snowflake playbook: when you can't defend , deflect.

Here's Obama's letter:

a little generic??

snowflake playbook: when you can't defend , deflect.
    There you go with the racist dog whistles again. Just can’t help yourself, can you?

There you go with the racist dog whistles again. Just can’t help yourself, can you?
    More deflection. You're good.
    I have no idea what race you are , nor do I care.

If you aren't here to specifically discuss the actual topic please. move. on.

Was Mr. Gordy there???