[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

DIANA ROSS "WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS TIME" Release October 26

Motown is releasing Diana's Christmas album from 1994 in a new configuration on October 26. Here is the cover and the song list below it.

Name:  91qwsYxbLkL._SL1500_.jpg
Views: 4453
Size:  95.8 KB

1. Wonderful Christmastime [[Paul McCartney)

2. Sleigh Ride / Jingle Bells [[Mitchell Parish, Leroy Anderson)

3. Winter Wonderland [[Felix Bernard, Richard B. Smith)

4. It's Christmas Time [[Wintley Phipps)

5. White Christmas [[Irving Berlin)

6. Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow! [[Sammy Cahn, Jule Styne)

7. The Christmas Song [[Mel Tormé, Bob Wells)

8. Overjoyed [[Stevie Wonder)

9. Someday at Christmas [[Ron Miller, Bryan Wells)

10. What the World Needs Now [[Burt Bacharach, Hal David)

11. Amazing Grace [[John Newton)

12. His Eye Is on the Sparrow [[Civilla D. Martin)

13. Silent Night [[Franz Gruber, Josef Mohr)

14. O Holy Night [[Adolphe Adam, John Sullivan Dwight)

15. O Little Town Of Bethlehem [[Lewis H. Redner, Phillips Brooks)

16. Ave Maria [[Franz Schubert)

17. Go Tell It On The Mountain [[Unknown)

18. The First Noël [[Traditional)

19. I Heard The Bells [[H.W. Longfellow, Johnny Marks)

20. Happy Xmas [[War Is Over) [[John Lennon, Yoko Ono)

This actually looks to be a combination of both of her Christmas CDs.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    This actually looks to be a combination of both of her Christmas CDs.
    Yes, it is indeed both full CD’s. The track list is sequenced mixing the two collections, but all songs seem to be included. I remember hoping this would get a US release in 1994, 1995, 1996, etc. Amazing that it took 24 years...

Wonderful!

Thanks for finding that.

Great news! Thanks. The cover art is kinda uninspiring though. Why not feature a fabulous new photo of the diva herself? I wonder if it will be digital only or if it will receive a physical release as well?

Here is the preorder link for Amazon. Looks like it will be a physical release.

https://www.amazon.com/Wonderful-Chr...ref=mp_s_a_1_8

I was just thinking about new CDs for the Christmas season. Thanks for passing along the information.

It says that there are a new liner notes from Diana Ross, and Artwork commissioned by her. Is there a new working relationship between Diana and Motown records?

I downloaded some of these tracks for my Christmas playlist last year... Diana's versions of the more, erm, contemporary Christmas tunes, are great... "Wonderful Christmastime"... "Winter Wonderland"... "Let It Snow"... "Happy Xmas" I remember...

This is great news! The only downside is the album cover. Really? That's the best they could do?

Wonderful news. Her Xmas songs are so good. I am glad she put the 2 CDs together. However I hope this picture isn't the cover.

I took a painting featured on one of her Greatest Hits compilations and created this cover. I'd say it's far better than what's going to be used.

Name:  image1.jpg
Views: 4197
Size:  10.0 KB

I like that Brad. Now it just needs a hint of festive glitter. lol.

I'm surprised that this doesn't contain This Christmas which appears on a couple of Motown Christmas compilations. If time is a factor, I would have traded What The World Needs Now with this real Christmas song.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I'm surprised that this doesn't contain This Christmas which appears on a couple of Motown Christmas compilations. If time is a factor, I would have traded What The World Needs Now with this real Christmas song.
    I would happily trade the woeful "Ave Maria" for "This Christmas" any day even though it was recorded in 74 [[i think).
    That aside, this is a nice christmas collection and one which i will most certainly be buying.
    I actually quite like the cover as it reminds me of an old victorian christmas card. I shall slip this on as i'm icing the christmas cake and sipping a nice hot glass of mulled wine.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 09-11-2018 at 12:27 PM.

"This Christmas" that was the one I couldn't remember! Great version by Diana. Shame it's not included.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I took a painting featured on one of her Greatest Hits compilations and created this cover. I'd say it's far better than what's going to be used.

Much better! Uninspiring cover to say the least. Diane deserves better than a generic cover like that.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Me too. Love "This Christmas". What the world needs now isn't a Xmas song.

I actually like “what the world needs now”. The arrangement sounds christmasy and perfect for the holiday vibe she was going for. I agree that the cover art is not the best, but I am grateful that they decided to release a physical CD. So if I had to weigh the pros and cons I would gladly except a physical CD with a not so great cover instead of a digital release.

One of the shots of Diana from the "CHRISTMAS IN WASHINGTON" concert would have been wonderful!
    Name:  72587033.jpg
Views: 3828
Size:  70.5 KB

I actually like “what the world needs now”. The arrangement sounds christmasy and perfect for the holiday vibe she was going for. I agree that the cover art is not the best, but I am grateful that they decided to release a physical CD. So if I had to weigh the pros and cons I would gladly except a physical CD with a not so great cover instead of a digital release.
    I agree with you 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    One of the shots of Diana from the "CHRISTMAS IN WASHINGTON" concert would have been wonderful!
    Name:  72587033.jpg
Views: 3828
Size:  70.5 KB
    This is one of the few frocks Diana has worn that i don't actually like. It reminds me of something from a christmas panto i once saw. I think i would sooner have a sprig of something festive on the cover then this voluminous creation.

I’d love this on a double-vinyl release...
    Last edited by pghmusiclover; 09-13-2018 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I downloaded some of these tracks for my Christmas playlist last year... Diana's versions of the more, erm, contemporary Christmas tunes, are great... "Wonderful Christmastime"... "Winter Wonderland"... "Let It Snow"... "Happy Xmas" I remember...
    Yes, I especially love "Happy Christmas". While I always loved it, I thought her version of "Overjoyed" was out of place, but I've since changed my opinion on it. I played it a lot over the last holiday season. I imagine I'll be playing it even more this upcoming season. It's such a beautiful version.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post

Great cover Brad!

Pre-Order at importcds $10.34. Due 10/26.

https://www.importcds.com/diana-ross...e/602567893264

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    Pre-Order at importcds $10.34. Due 10/26.

https://www.importcds.com/diana-ross...e/602567893264
    Importcds is terrific! I use them all of the time for huge savings. Also, blowitoutahere.com.

great job Brad.
    to bad they didn't use any out takes from her Christmas album.
    there are 6 out takes.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    great job Brad.
    there are 6 out takes.
    This is true David, but Diana holds the rights to those songs and she hasn't been consulted about this release.

thought her 90s albums were being released with bonus tracks

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    This is true David, but Diana holds the rights to those songs and she hasn't been consulted about this release.
    I thought she commissioned the artwork for the cover and wrote new liner notes for this collection? That is what the product description on Amazon says. Seems to me she was consulted?

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I thought she commissioned the artwork for the cover and wrote new liner notes for this collection? That is what the product description on Amazon says. Seems to me she was consulted?
    I was about to say the same thing. Sounds like she was involved in this upcoming release.

strange, this cover art is lame. lackluster. I'll pass.
    I want bonus track or I am not interested, but glad it is being released for those who never got it the first time here in the US. I have seen a US release last year , I think in Target with a alt cover.

I think this is a test run for a new album/new material. If it sells well, it will set the stage for a new contract.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    great job Brad.
    there are 6 out takes.
    Davidh, are you referencing the six tracks she did that were released on the Hallmark CD, "Making Spirits Bright"? As those tracks are included on this new collection. Also, to reference your post below, I don't know about a new Target release containing her Christmas tracks from last year, however there was a collection released last year that was only available on QVC. It had only several tracks on it and was more like a sampler collection. It was sold alongside her fragrance.

Carlo
    no... there are 6 unreleased tracks from the Very Special Season collection. I have both collections on cd.
    there were plans to reissue her 90s albums with bonus tracks. but that has not happened as of yet. I was looking forward to the Take Me Higher expanded.....but maybe next year.
    I thought it was Target. it was a cd with a photo of her from Divas....also a bit lacklester

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    In that case perhaps she was consulted after all. I know she was looking at an expanded version of the Christmas album but i [[wrongly) assumed she would have included the outtakes from those sessions. Instead we have the tracks from the Hallmark album which i guess is better than nothing but not as exciting as we had hoped.

thanks Bluebrock, perhaps they will come out later,hopefully

There may be a change in cover art

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I hope so!

Good. Maybe she realized her face needs to be on the cover and not some cheap flower arrangement that looked like it came from ClipArt. That cover is comparable to the dandelion cover from Produced & Arranged by Jimmy Webb and the Supremes At Their Best cover.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I am assuming it is still coming out at the end of this week? If so, I suppose we will see very soon if the cover is the same...

I would also like a new photo of Miss Ross featured on the cover.

I think this is a test run for a new album/new material. If it sells well, it will set the stage for a new contract.
    Who knows, you may just be right. As such, i think it would be nice for Diana fans to support this release. 'Tis a shame there are no unreleased bonus songs on it as i'm sure that would influence sales.
    A recent-ish pic would have been nice, but i can live with the cover.
    I think "Overjoyed" would make for a nice christmas single... Perhaps a club mix lol.

What are the 6 unreleased tracks from these sessions?

Just a reminder that this was released today.

And they kept the same awful cover.

Available on iTunes now as well. I’ve been looking to replace my long-gone copy of AVSS for about 19 years, so I shan’t complain!

Ordered it. Had a copy years ago but left it at a relative's house.

That Hallmark CD was a disgrace.