Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    will look up the songs that were out takes

here is a list of out takes from the original Very Special Season
    1. Santa Baby
    2.Rudolph the …..
    3.what child is this
    4.joy to the world
    5.it came upon the midnight clear
    thank you Bluebrock, I finally found this info where you told me. had to have a look over breakfast and I found the info you posted some time ago.
    I am still disappointed these songs were not included in the new release.
    maybe another time

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    1. Santa Baby
    2.Rudolph the …..
    3.what child is this
    4.joy to the world
    thank you Bluebrock, I finally found this info where you told me. had to have a look over breakfast and I found the info you posted some time ago.
    maybe another time
    My pleasure David!

This is basically a budget release. It is nice to have two 1994 CDs in one place. However I don’t see any evidence that they have been remastered. As far as the graphic art work goes, no comment.

Does Diana's Christmas stuff get played overhead in the stores with Karen Carpenter and Elvis and all the rest?? ? Have to admit I've never noticed any.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Does Diana's Christmas stuff get played overhead in the stores with Karen Carpenter and Elvis and all the rest?? ? Have to admit I've never noticed any.
    In the US, I hear Diana's Xmas recordings with the Supremes quite often during the holiday season. I don't hear the 1994 recordings, probably since most of them weren't released domestically.

Her “very special season “ cd was not released in the USA. The Hallmark CD was basically sold in Hallmark card stores- that’s where I saw it by chance and purchased it. So I haven’t heard anything from either played on Radio here. I have heard her version of “this Christmas” played, and of course the “Supreme “ Christmas classics. Maybe the goal of this release is to get in on the radio play of Christmas classics during the holiday season.
    Last edited by khansperac; 10-29-2018 at 05:46 PM.

As stated above, this is actually the first release of the songs from A Very Special Season have been released in the United States. It's nice to have all the tracks in one place. I will also add This Christmas to my mp3 version of the album so all of her Christmas recordings are in one place.

They should release “it’s Christmastime” to radio. Great song. I thought the hallmark cd was a great compliment to the “very special season “ cd. Im glad the 2 were combined for this release.

I received my copy of the cd yesterday. I didn't rush to listen to it as I have all of the material already, but it still nice to have.

While the cover is rather generic, it doesn't look quite as bad as I thought it would. And there is a nice shot of Diana on the back, albeit from the VOICE OF LOVE era, but nice nonetheless. I just realized that unless I'm mistaken, this is the only Diana album besides LADY SINGS THE BLUES on which she doesn't appear on the cover.

Diana Ross Celebrates The Holidays In Style

PR NewswireNovember 1, 2018

Releasing a Classic Holiday Album: 'Wonderful Christmas Time'
    20-Track Collection Via Ross Records/UMe Available Now
    LOS ANGELES, Nov. 1, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Celebrate the holiday season with style, grace and cheer with a 20-track collection from Diana Ross, titled Wonderful Christmas Time. The album is available now on CD and all major digital platforms from Ross Records/UMe.

View photos

Celebrate the holiday season with style, grace and cheer with a 20-track collection from Diana Ross, titled Wonderful Christmas Time. The album is available now on CD and all major digital platforms from Ross Records/UMe.
    More
    "There are so many things I love about the holiday season," Ms. Ross shares in the album's liner notes. "Decorating the tree with the family, the lights, the mistletoe, having family and friends and lots of kids around with the sound of their laughter and the feeling of joy and fun … It's a happy, happy time."
    Executive produced by Ms. Ross, the collection opens with the timeless title track, "Wonderful Christmas Time." The set also includes "Winter Wonderland," "Silent Night" and "Ave Maria," plus an inspiring and poignant read on Burt Bacharach and Hal David's uplifting classic "What The World Needs Now."
    On Wonderful Christmas Time, Ms. Ross is accompanied by the London Symphony Orchestra on five stunning recordings: "Sleigh Ride / Jingle Bells," "O Little Town Of Bethlehem," "Go Tell It On The Mountain," "The First Noël," and "I Heard The Bells."
    In grand style, Ms. Ross and the Ross Family will make a special, rare appearance together on a float in the 92nd annual Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade® on November 22.
    Preorder Wonderful Christmas Time here: https://UMe.lnk.to/WonderfulChristmasTimePR
    twitter.com/DianaRoss
    instagram.com/DianaRoss
    youtube.com/DianaRossVEVO
    Diana Ross WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS TIME [CD & DIGITAL]
    Wonderful Christmastime
    Sleigh Ride / Jingle Bells
    Winter Wonderland
    It's Christmas Time
    White Christmas
    Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!
    The Christmas Song
    Overjoyed
    Someday At Christmas
    What The World Needs Now
    Amazing Grace
    His Eye Is On The Sparrow
    Silent Night
    O Holy Night
    O Little Town Of Bethlehem
    Ave Maria
    Go Tell It On The Mountain
    The First Noël
    I Heard The Bells
    Happy Xmas [[War Is Over)

View photos

[[PRNewsfoto/UMe)
    More

Cision
    More
    View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300742519.html

As happy as I am that Miss Ross has a new release and is getting some press and has the Macy's Day appearance lined up...can someone please hire her a proper social media consultant? She announced this album on her Facebook and Instagram earlier today, using a low quality blurry/pixelated-looking image of the cover art. Sheesh...

On a positive note, after reviewing many of the comments on her social media posts for this CD, it seems there are a lot of fans who were previously unaware of her 90's Christmas albums. Many seem to be purchasing this for the first time. Nice to see some buzz out there. These recordings are getting a second wind. Now we can only hope that an album of all-new original material is imminent!

So I'm not mistaken, there's nothing new on this release? Is the "What the World Needs Now" version the same as the Supremes version?

If that's the case, what a missed opportunity for Diana to release something new. I've heard a few tracks as listed above; mostly uninspired straight covers. I could barely listen to "Overjoyed" from start to finish.

And what's up with using these old photos; now and on "ILY". Diana certainly could use some updated promos.

Sorry to be so negative during the holiday season. But come on.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    So I'm not mistaken, there's nothing new on this release? Is the "What the World Needs Now" version the same as the Supremes version?

If that's the case, what a missed opportunity for Diana to release something new. I've heard a few tracks as listed above; mostly uninspired straight covers. I could barely listen to "Overjoyed" from start to finish.

And what's up with using these old photos; now and on "ILY". Diana certainly could use some updated promos.

WTWNN is a solo, '90s version, heavy on the orchestration but lush and somehow appropriate for this Christmas set.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post

"What the World Needs" is a solo version recorded in the 90s specifically for her album. I didn't get the inclusion of "Overjoyed" as a Christmas song, but the more I hear it the more I start to get it. Christmas or not, it's a gorgeous reading of one of my favorite Stevie songs. There are some other Diana Christmas songs that are high on my list of favs as well. I wouldn't consider the songs uninspired, which for me would mean that it was a lazy effort and lacked any real artistic vision. There's not a lot to them. There's no big Motown sound replication, no turning the songs into dance club numbers or Neo Soul cuts, no typical mid 90s production, etc., this is true. However, I think the beauty of Diana's voice, which is so well suited to Christmas songs, is supposed to be front and center and I think she put in some fantastic vocal performances and she didn't have to screech, scream and yell in order to do it. If you play the songs a little more, see if they start to grow on you.

what the world need now , is a newer recording, not the Supremes version.
    it was on the original release in the 90s

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    "What the World Needs" is a solo version recorded in the 90s specifically for her album. I didn't get the inclusion of "Overjoyed" as a Christmas song, but the more I hear it the more I start to get it. Christmas or not, it's a gorgeous reading of one of my favorite Stevie songs. There are some other Diana Christmas songs that are high on my list of favs as well. I wouldn't consider the songs uninspired, which for me would mean that it was a lazy effort and lacked any real artistic vision. There's not a lot to them. There's no big Motown sound replication, no turning the songs into dance club numbers or Neo Soul cuts, no typical mid 90s production, etc., this is true. However, I think the beauty of Diana's voice, which is so well suited to Christmas songs, is supposed to be front and center and I think she put in some fantastic vocal performances and she didn't have to screech, scream and yell in order to do it. If you play the songs a little more, see if they start to grow on you.
    I agree. It is a lovely CD which always gets an outing in my house each Christmas time.

i always hoped Overjoyed may have been released as a single.

i share the same sentiments as ranran. I have listened to hundreds of christmas cd's over the years and enjoyed very few. The quality that makes this offering one of my very favourite christmas albums is it's simplicity. With the exception of motown xmas compilations i generally hate the jolly holly type christmas songs that so many seem to enjoy. Here we have tasteful arrangments to mostly traditional songs given a Diana twist. There really is no need for her to play around with the melody, the songs are perfect as they are. Sony did the same thing with Babs and mixed her two christmas albums together with great results......

Got my CD today. Overall the presentation is nice. So glad to have all these songs on one CD. It’s cool that this was released on the Ross Records label and distributed by Universal/UMG. Hopefully she will continue to release music on her label through Universal.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    Got my CD today. Overall the presentation is nice. So glad to have all these songs on one CD. It’s cool that this was released on the Ross Records label and distributed by Universal/UMG. Hopefully she will continue to release music on her label through Universal.
    I got mine a few days ago. I wish I could remember which songs were on the mid 90s CD I had. I think I had the Hallmark version but wasn't into such details in those days. Regardless, I am happy to have this collection. I also bought the Johnny Cash Christmas CD on the same order. Wow...from Diana to Johnny, what a range!

if diana is going to block the out takes and bonus tracks, she will tick many fans off

if diana is going to block the out takes and bonus tracks, she will tick many fans off
    Do we know for certain that there are unreleased tracks from these sessions? Have we ever received legitimate confirmation of this, other than from a post or two made by a questionable source on this forum? I only say this because it is pretty easy for anyone to create a screen name and say, "I used to work for Diana and I have insider connections". I take any claims of that nature with a grain of salt. We have seen this happen many times before, such a fan from a few years back who said there were unreleased tracks from Ross '83 [[ie. Full Moon, Sleep With Me Tonight, etc) and he ended up swindling a bunch of fans by promising to send CD-R's with these tracks, which never happened. I don't want to outright say that someone is lying, but when I hear someone making claims from a mysterious alias, and have yet to prove exactly who they are or have yet to prove any of their claims as being true, I kindly say don't take it as gospel truth. Besides, even if there are unreleased songs, perhaps Ms Ross has never wished to release them because she feels they are very inferior or flawed in some way. Just my two cents.

The only fans that are are aware of these “unreleased tracks” are a few fans that come to this forum.

I did see a version of ROSS 83 with Sleep with Me , Full Moon ,Maybe, and Fight For It way back when but passed on it due to the price. the songs have never surfaced but the album did have 10 tracks originally ...but then not. would be nice if maybe we got a rca lost and found

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw Diana's Cd in Walmart next to John Legend's and pentatonix christmas. I grabbed 3 copies and decided what a cool Christmas gift this would make. Diana soars on "What The World Needs Now". I went back to Walmart and all of Diana's CD were gone. Bummer at $11.00 I found a treasure.

anyone know how diana Christmas cd is doing sales wise. I am hoping it does well.
    I suppose it will get some buzz after the parade,hopefully

To me, pairing Diana with the London Symphony Orchestra was a match made in heaven. I think 'Overjoyed' and 'What the world needs now..' are 2 of the most stunning tracks she has ever recorded. It's the orchestra that elevates these songs to something so beautiful, almost spiritual.

Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post
    To me, pairing Diana with the London Symphony Orchestra was a match made in heaven.... It's the orchestra that elevates these songs to something so beautiful, almost spiritual.
    Perhaps a little off the Christmas topic, but on YouTube, NilesNL69 mixed the London Symphony Orchrestra's version of Ain't No Mountain High Enough with Diana's version and to me, the result is magnificent. Lush orchrestra and Diana's voice are made for each other..

1. Santa Baby
    2.Rudolph the …..
    3.what child is this
    4.joy to the world
    maybe another time
    I thought that there were 6 songs unreleased from AVSS.

Have also wondered which she recorded 1st... Hallmark songs or AVSS ? Since they were both released the same year.

just bought a copy on Amazon..it is indeed selling, MMM..[[Motown Making Money)

actually, motown isn't credited at all, it's the parent company UM [[Universal Music which owns Motown) and the label imprint is listed as Ross Records, does that mean she acquired the masters?

Great Washington Post/ Associated Press review:

Diana Ross, “Wonderful Christmas Time” [[UMe/Ross Records)

Are you in the mood for jolly, singalong Christmas music? Diana Ross has you covered.
    Looking for something more serene, with religious tones? Diana Ross has you covered.
    Or are you looking for inspirational music that doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with the holidays? Again, Diana Ross has you covered.
    Her new Christmas album, the 20-track “Wonderful Christmas Time,” may actually have a track for every mood of the season with the exception of the bah-humbug crowd. Ross’ silky, smooth soprano takes on a wide variety of songs, from “Ave Maria” to “Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let it Snow!”
    She also goes outside the Christmas arc with songs about peace and love, like Stevie Wonder’s “Overjoyed.” While there’s something for everyone here, the downside is the lack of cohesiveness: Even though “What the World Needs Now” is given a sweeping, classical approach, to go from that to “Amazing Grace” is still a bit of head scratcher, despite a near seamless transition.
    Of course, it’s a small quibble, like complaining that you were offered too many pie options at the holiday meal. In the end, you’ll be deeply satisfied.

— Nekesa Mumbi Moody [[twitter.com/NekesaMumbi)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/music/get-in-the-holiday-mood-with-diana-ross-john-legend-more/2018/11/20/a41cd34a-ece5-11e8-8b47-bd0975fd6199_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.68 292f894415

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    actually, motown isn't credited at all, it's the parent company UM [[Universal Music which owns Motown) and the label imprint is listed as Ross Records, does that mean she acquired the masters?
    She always owned them.

I received my copy of "Wonderful Christmas Time" this morning.There is a lovely B&W photo of Diana on the inside of the CD liner, with the same photo on the back liner. Sadly no notes of any kind. However, here is the great news, Diana Ross is listed as executive producer and this is a Ross Records release under exclusive license to Universal Music Group, which could open the door to future projects!Name:  DSC09520.jpg
Views: 1289
Size:  92.7 KB

You should be able to pull out that picture, it then opens up, and that is where the liner notes are.

There is track information, but no liner notes as such, is what I meant. Still a lovely photo, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Desjardines View Post
    There is track information, but no liner notes as such, is what I meant. Still a lovely photo, though!
    There is a note from Miss Ross, which is considered the liner notes. She discusses her feelings and memories of the holidays. Unfortunately there was no additional insight provided in regards to the original project/recordings.

Still #5 R & B on the Amazon Chart and #70 Pop.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Still #5 R & B on the Amazon Chart and #70 Pop.
    Ya know...
    I had a crappy CD of this at one point and lost it.
    I am so glad it has been re-released. I've been listening for a few weeks and find this to be a great holiday CD. Happy I [[re) bought it.

curently #2 on the Amazon Soul/R&B chart and in the 40's on the full album chart ITS A HIT!!

Should make it on Billboard next week

I just bought three additional copies of "Wonderful Christmas Time" [[and two Diamond Diana Rollerballs) for stocking stuffers. Happy that the album is doing so well. I Love Diana Ross!

I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I've just discovered Wonderful Christmas Time. I am loving it. The only Christmas albums I ever bought was The Supremes' Merry Christmas in 1965 and the double album A Motown Christmas in 1973. I haven't felt a need for any others.

But Wonderful Christmas Time is a revelation. I forgot how Diana Ross's voice is perfect for Christmas. I really like the song selections and arrangements. I get her intentions for a meaningful seasonal album. The album is a rare statement of her artistic vision. And now she is topping it all off with the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade [[with her whole family) and Rockefeller Plaza Christmas Tree Lighting appearances.
    I'm not really a Christmas person but this year I have two Diana Ross's to enjoy: a Supreme and a beloved Diva.
    Last edited by lucky2012; 12-02-2018 at 11:47 AM.

it's nice to hear some Xmas music from someone other than the nonliving.

For anyone interested, the vinyl version is scheduled for September 27:

Wonderful Christmas Time [2 LP] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TLPB87G..._VgvtDbFECMFKN

It would be lovely if -- in addition to the five recorded but not released sides --the next re-release were to include the songs she recorded for her appearances in the Thanksgiving Day Parade; in that Macy's has exploited her appearances to generate interest in the parade and boost viewer ratings several times and even put her image on a float as the iconic representation of the 1970s for the 2001 holiday windows display, the store should be amenable to giving her the use of those numbers.

It was particularly disappointing and curious that the 2018 CD release did not include a recording of It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year, the song she actually performed in 2018; why promote a new CD with a song that is not included on it?

Too, the audio from her televised performance in Christmas At The White House [[during the Obama era) could be obtained and included on the next re-release.

And it would be helpful if the existing material might be remastered, as the two original individual CDs had kind of iffy, inconsistent sound quality, although I liked most of the material to one extent or another. [[Most of the repeats from the 1965 sessions were better in their first iteration, in my opinion, although it was revealing to listen to the takes from two different eras, some 30 years apart, in her life and ours.)

Quote Originally Posted by benross View Post
    It would be lovely if -- in addition to the five recorded but not released sides --the next re-release were to include the songs she recorded for her appearances in the Thanksgiving Day Parade; in that Macy's has exploited her appearances to generate interest in the parade and boost viewer ratings several times and even put her image on a float as the iconic representation of the 1970s for the 2001 holiday windows display, the store should be amenable to giving her the use of those numbers.

It was particularly disappointing and curious that the 2018 CD release did not include a recording of It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year, the song she actually performed in 2018; why promote a new CD with a song that is not included on it?

Too, the audio from her televised performance in Christmas At The White House [[during the Obama era) could be obtained and included on the next re-release.

And it would be helpful if the existing material might be remastered, as the two original individual CDs had kind of iffy, inconsistent sound quality, although I liked most of the material to one extent or another. [[Most of the repeats from the 1965 sessions were better in their first iteration, in my opinion, although it was revealing to listen to the takes from two different eras, some 30 years apart, in her life and ours.)
    There appears to be legal reasons why the canned tracks from the Very Special Season have still not seen the light of day. These issues can take years to resolve so i would not get excited about an official reason anytime soon.
    A couple of the tracks were on youtube several years ago, but have not resurfaced since so far as i know.