[REMOVE ADS]

Stevie Wonder autographs......

Hello All,
    In addition to collecting Motown records, like many I collect most any memorabilia items I can afford Motown related, like the promo photos, sheet music, in-house company items, concert programs, ephemera, fan club items, etc.....

At any rate, I also have an autograph collection of Motown artists. I know that these days Stevie's "handlers" sign his autographs for him. Stevie holds the pen loosely while the handler signs the item. I do not consider these Stevie's autograph. I've researched this topic and know that sometimes Stevie used to use a finger print as his signature, as many blind people do.

Here is my question though. Does anyone know for sure that he is able to write? I've seen a couple items from the mid-60's that were supposed to be signed by him and the signatures match and are in cursive, not printed. I've not seriously considered purchasing any of these earlier signed items as I've never been able to ascertain if they could be authentic.
    Thanks for any help anyone can provide on the subject.
    Darin

Stevie can write, but his signature is nothing like those you see on those 60s publicity photos. His real signature can be seen in the booklet for SONGS IN THE KEY OF LIFE, along with a fingerprint. His signature sort of reminds me of those of young children just beginning to learn how to write.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Stevie can write, but his signature is nothing like those you see on those 60s publicity photos. His real signature can be seen in the booklet for SONGS IN THE KEY OF LIFE, along with a fingerprint. His signature sort of reminds me of those of young children just beginning to learn how to write.
    Yep. I used to stare at that shaky “STEV[E]LAND” in amazement as a kid.

https://goo.gl/images/KtQrvy
    Last edited by sansradio; 09-09-2018 at 12:25 AM.

Wow, I had never thought about this before.

Can most blind people write?

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Wow, I had never thought about this before.

Can most blind people write?
    I would think so. Most, if not all, go to school, and not only schools for the blind and/or visually impaired. One of my best friends is blind and he writes. When he has to give his signature, he has a piece of plastic with a horizontal-shaped cut-out in it. He asks someone to place the space on the line and he gives his signature.

Thanks for the replies.....must be Stevie had a secretarial signer even back then. Collecting autographs as long as I have I know it's common practice that agents signed a lot of concert type agreements as the artists usually weren't involved in that trivial aspect of business.

Below is one of the signatures I put in my "archives".....it is a contract to appear on "Where The Action Is" in '66. This particular signature matches another I've seen from the same era. I wonder who the signer was?
    Darin

Name:  Stevie Contract Close.jpg
Views: 1379
Size:  74.9 KB