[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Blinky

Blinky

Perhaps not the best sound quality but this version was created by a friend who has limited sight. Bless him

FREE BLINKY FROM THE VAULTS – NOW!

I've listened to quite a few of Baby Bullox's extended mixes and they are very good. Please extend a thank you to him!

Thanks Thommg, I will pass on your good wishes

There’s supposed to be a Blinky set in the pipeline from real gone later this year. Plus, I’m assuming some Blinky material will be included in Motown Unreleased:1968. Looking forward to both.

No date was given for BLINKY but it is in the pipeline so within next six months I imagine

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    No date was given for BLINKY but it is in the pipeline so within next six months I imagine
    I really hope so copley! it feels like we have been waiting for ages for this!!

Oh wow, I haven't listened to this song in ages. This is so fantastic!!!!!

Love it too but then I love all BLINKY's recordings. Her gospel ones are amazing.

I am curious. How did you guys first hear of this woman, Blinky? I am not real familiar with her music, but I have noticed several threads on her on the forum over the years. I may have heard some of her music, I just don't recall. Where did you guys hear her?
    Last edited by marv2; 09-09-2018 at 12:42 AM.

I first heard BLINKY way back in '68. Her initial Motown single was the classic 'I Wouldn't Change The Man He Is' [[Nickolas Ashford-Valerie Simpson).

Thank you Copley.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I am curious. How did you guys first hear of this woman, Blinky? I am familiar with her music, but I have noticed several threads on her on the forum over the years. I may have heard some of her music, I just don't recall. Where did you guys hear her?
    I became aware of Blinky through her work as the Bessie Smith-type singer young Eleanora plays religiously in the film Lady Sings the Blues. We also heard her as the female lead on the ​“Good Times” TV theme.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    I became aware of Blinky through her work as the Bessie Smith-type singer young Eleanora plays religiously in the film Lady Sings the Blues. We also heard her as the female lead on the ​“Good Times” TV theme.
    Wow, I heard both of those songs , Good Times especially. I always thought it was Janet Dubois who played Wilona.

Marv...

In addition to the above comments, Blinky was featured on the Motortown Revue Live album from 1969, singing 'I can't turn you loose' and 'I wouldn't change the man he is'.

She also recorded a duet album with Edwin Starr, 'Just We Two', 1969, around the time of his hit '25 Miles'.

One single was released: 'Oh How Happy', which just scraped into Top 100.

Think Blinky was a protege of Sammy Davis, Jr. She would open for him. They appeared on the Mike Douglas show? I didn't buy his Motown album, but have wondered if Blinky is among the faces pictured on the cover...

Marv I first heard of Blinky through her duet album with Edwin Starr. I remember looking into her and loving "I Wouldn't Change The Man He Is"!!!!! Unfortunately I don't actually own any of Blinky's music 'cause I'm still waiting for it to be released! [[I need to download that Edwin and Blinky album actually)

Apart from that I only really know her from the threads here

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    Marv...

In addition to the above comments, Blinky was featured on the Motortown Revue Live album from 1969, singing 'I can't turn you loose' and 'I wouldn't change the man he is'.

She also recorded a duet album with Edwin Starr, 'Just We Two', 1969, around the time of his hit '25 Miles'.

One single was released: 'Oh How Happy', which just scraped into Top 100.

Think Blinky was a protege of Sammy Davis, Jr. She would open for him. They appeared on the Mike Douglas show? I didn't buy his Motown album, but have wondered if Blinky is among the faces pictured on the cover...
    All of this is new information to me. I appreciate it. Thanks Wesgrandboulevard!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Marv I first heard of Blinky through her duet album with Edwin Starr. I remember looking into her and loving "I Wouldn't Change The Man He Is"!!!!! Unfortunately I don't actually own any of Blinky's music 'cause I'm still waiting for it to be released! [[I need to download that Edwin and Blinky album actually)

Apart from that I only really know her from the threads here
    Growing up, the main outlets we had to hear new music, new artists was radio and television. Every now and then you'd get the local radio playlist at the record store. I didn't know of Blinky then. I kind of remember seeing the album cover with she and Edwin Starr, but had not heard her music.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    She sounds nice and seems to be a nice lady. Thanks Lakeside.

Blinky is so lovely Marv, she's always sending me music, photos and love.

Name:  Beautiful Blinky.jpg
Views: 1807
Size:  58.6 KB

Blinky was part of a talented group that came out of Los Angeles in the early 60s. Others in the group included Darlene Love, Edna Wright, André & Sandra Crouch and Billy Preston. There were others. Someone once posted a photo here that included the entire group as teenagers.

Blinky was one of the original Cogic Singers, with Andraé Crouch, Sandra Crouch, Billy Preston, Edna Wright, Frankie Karl, and Gloria Jones.

Name:  Cogic Singers.jpg
Views: 1579
Size:  44.9 KB

Sondra 'Blinky' Williams & The COGIC'S - It's A Blessing

I'm Gonna Keep On Singing - Andrae Crouch & The Disciples @ Explo 72

Recorded in Dallas, Texas in 1972 . The Disciples include Bili Thedford, Perry Morgan, Sandra Crouch & Blinky Williams.

Hi Marv long time no speak. I first heard about Blinky through the Big Motown Hits and Hard to Find Classic CDs and loved the 'I Wouldn't Change The Man he is track and have just looked out for and CD/vinyl collections with Blinky on. I must dig out Edwin and Blinky's album I've not listened to that in ages. It be so great to hear those shelved albums of hers to get onto CD.
    Copley thanks for the Blinky Thread and love you posts

Thanks McMotown, you are most welcome This is my fav Edwin & Blinky. Hope you like it.

Hi Copley - a great track I also like their version of Ooo Baby Baby

Thanks McMotown, you are most welcome This is my fav Edwin & Blinky. Hope you like it.

Yes! Mine too copley, such a great track. I LOVE the breakdown in the middle of the song.
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 09-10-2018 at 08:11 PM.

Just looked it up and Just We Two was produced by Frank Wilson, which I didn't know. That explains why the production is so excellent

Wow! Absolutely stunning!

Just looked it up and Just We Two was produced by Frank Wilson, which I didn't know. That explains why the production is so excellent
    Tom,
    I think the album is a collection of various producers . Check out DFTMC for details.

snake you are right! For some reason discogs maintains that Frank Wilson produced all tracks: https://www.discogs.com/Edwin-Starr-...elease/1055684

Looking through DFTMC Frank [[with Billie Jean Brown) produced probably half the tracks on the LP, but Hal Davis, Deke Richards and Richard Morris also produced a track or two each.

snake you are right! For some reason discogs maintains that Frank Wilson produced all tracks: https://www.discogs.com/Edwin-Starr-...elease/1055684

Looking through DFTMC Frank [[with Billie Jean Brown) produced probably half the tracks on the LP, but Hal Davis, Deke Richards and Richard Morris also produced a track or two each.
    The original 1969 Gordy LP Artwork showed Frank Wilson as the producer, so presumably he put together the LP and included some material from other producers.

There are scans etc. at 45Worlds.

http://www.45worlds.com/vinyl/album/s945

Roger

I think her photo is on the Motown Story box set.

Blinky was one of the original Cogic Singers, with Andraé Crouch, Sandra Crouch, Billy Preston, Edna Wright, Frankie Karl, and Gloria Jones.

Name:  Cogic Singers.jpg
Views: 1579
Size:  44.9 KB
    Edna Wright who later was in Honey Cone?

Gloria Jones of Motown fame?

I had no idea.

For some reason, I also thought that Blinky was the "Sondra Williams" who recorded a gospel album for Atlantic in the early to mid-60s. I have the album but haven't played it in a long time. Does anyone recall the album I'm thinking of? Here it is. Is it in fact Blinky?

Name:  R-4515997-1472419404-7401.jpeg.jpg
Views: 1338
Size:  39.8 KB
    Last edited by kenneth; 09-11-2018 at 03:41 PM.

I think it is kenneth. Sondra Williams was Blinky's real name I believe.

I think it is kenneth. Sondra Williams was Blinky's real name I believe.
    Thank you! I wonder where the "Miss Heartaches" nickname came from.

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    The original 1969 Gordy LP Artwork showed Frank Wilson as the producer, so presumably he put together the LP and included some material from other producers.

There are scans etc. at 45Worlds.

http://www.45worlds.com/vinyl/album/s945

Roger
    Thanks Roger. So Frank was more an executive producer?

There are any news about the forthcoming double CD, I´m very curois about it and I have not enough patient, so it´s hard for me to must wait.

It´s intersting to know IMO how she sings "How long has that evening train been gone"
    I was very dissapointet about "The hunter gets captured by the game", her version lost the mystery atmospheric of the song, on the other hand you have "How you gonna keep it", it´s better than the original IMO

Indeed and 8 of them are new to me

I think this makes the chances of a dedicated Blinky CD package less likely?

But heh, I'm am not complaining.

Don't worry, it's still happening in 2019

The Second Disc mentions more to come from Blinky in their review of MU 1968

https://theseconddisc.com/2018/12/ye...omf2P_KEseuVhs

Fantastic news about Blinky. Really hope 1968 gets CD release. Especially the Tops tracks. PLEASE 💚💜💙

Quote Originally Posted by Fourtopsbiggestfan View Post
    Fantastic news about Blinky. Really hope 1968 gets CD release. Especially the Tops tracks. PLEASE ������
    I'd love a CD release too. I have a problem with MU68 [[ I have all previous MU releases).
    I usually get the Amazon download and copy to CD-r, or should I say that I PAY for the download and a close relative copies them for me . However, his wife is gravely I'll and it is not reasonable to even think about mentioning this at present.
    It could be some time till I get MU68 but that is not important right now.

Quote Originally Posted by the sound of young america View Post
    I think this makes the chances of a dedicated Blinky CD package less likely?

But heh, I'm am not complaining.
    I too was concerned about this making a Blinky CD less likely but it's great to hear that's it's still happening

I hope somebody can help me and clarify what I asked for. I would like to know, if the Blinky collection will contains "How long has that evening train been gone". I am curious about the fact, if she used the band track of DRATS. Thank you very much for the answer

It should hopefully be included. It's not the same as DRATS.