[REMOVE ADS]

Ashford & Simpson

I pulled together a playlist of A&S across various motown artists. obviously their work with Diana solo is legendary.

but seems like there were so many other magical moments that it makes you wonder "what if"

Marvelettes - really think Destination Anywhere is an underrated production.

Marvin and Tammi - perfection on so many of the duets. my fav is You're All I Need To Get By.

Sups & Four Tops - of course River Deep is great but so is their version of Reach Out and Touch. i really like when it shifts from the waltz rhythm to the 4/4. actually like that better than the waltz. Also I'm Glad About It is really strong

Sups 70s - Can't Get you out of my mind is a fav track. and by this time they were wrapping up with Diana, who was moving onto Lady. wonder if more work with the Sups might have been coming had they not left

Did they ever do anything with the Temps?

on the Marvelettes, I enjoy "Your Love Can Save Me" more then "Destination Anywhere".

I know the Tempts recorded "Love Woke Me Up This Morning". I do not believe it was an A&S production.

Quote Originally Posted by blkfrost View Post
    I know the Tempts recorded "Love Woke Me Up This Morning". I do not believe it was an A&S production.
    This was included in the "All Directions" album and was produced by Norman Whitfield.

One of my favourites is Gladys Knight & the Pips' "Didn't You Know [[You'd Have to Cry Some Time)".

^ that is a good one. i like it a bit better than Diana's version. mostly just because of Diana's nasal tone on the word "cry." but both do a sensational job on the verses. Gladys is always great and soulful but Diana really stepped up to the plate and delivers too

I need to listen to Marvelettes Your Love. although it's not produced by A&S

It's strange how "Your Love Can Save Me" was reworked into Marvin & Tammi's "This Poor Heart of Mine".

Another oddity is the differences in the verses of "You Ain't Livin' Until You're Lovin'" between Marvin & Tammi's and the Supremes' versions.

or how about the intro Diana sings on her solo version of You're All I Need To Get By

One of their productions on the Miracles, "Who's Gonna Take the Blame," is a great recording.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    or how about the intro Diana sings on her solo version of You're All I Need To Get By
    I don't remember that. I'll have to dig it out.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    One of their productions on the Miracles, "Who's Gonna Take the Blame," is a great recording.
    Another of my favourites. It's been much too long since I last listened to it.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Absolutely. Another fav of mine is "Silly Wasn't I".

I pulled together a playlist of A&S across various motown artists. obviously their work with Diana solo is legendary.

but seems like there were so many other magical moments that it makes you wonder "what if"

Marvelettes - really think Destination Anywhere is an underrated production.

Marvin and Tammi - perfection on so many of the duets. my fav is You're All I Need To Get By.

Sups & Four Tops - of course River Deep is great but so is their version of Reach Out and Touch. i really like when it shifts from the waltz rhythm to the 4/4. actually like that better than the waltz. Also I'm Glad About It is really strong

Sups 70s - Can't Get you out of my mind is a fav track. and by this time they were wrapping up with Diana, who was moving onto Lady. wonder if more work with the Sups might have been coming had they not left

Did they ever do anything with the Temps?
    With the Tempts? How about the gorgeous This is my Beloved, from the Wish it would Rain album, produced by Fuqua and Bristol, a rare production outing for them on the Tempts

Come on don't forget Martha and The Vandellas "Running In and Out of Love".

what were A&S working on in the 80s and 90s? did they do much high profile work with artists?

in the DRATS forum there's a thread on what might Diana have recorded had she stayed with motown. some suggested further A&S work. was wondering how their sound evolved during the 80s

what were A&S working on in the 80s and 90s? did they do much high profile work with artists?

in the DRATS forum there's a thread on what might Diana have recorded had she stayed with motown. some suggested further A&S work. was wondering how their sound evolved during the 80s
    In the 80s, they produced two albums for Gladys Knight and the Pips, ABOUT LOVE and TOUCH. I think they also produced an album for their backing vocalist Ullanda during this time. They also did some tracks for Stephanie Mills, Teddy Pendergrass, and Patti LaBelle. During the 80s, they were also working on their musical, PIPES. Patti used one of its songs, WINNER IN YOU, as the title track for her MCA debut album.

In the 90s, they did an album with Maya Angelou, BEEN FOUND, which incorporated her poetry with their music. They premiered two songs during an appearance on OPRAH.

More recently, they were working on a musical version of E. Lynn Harris' book INVISIBLE LIFE. They performed some of the songs on their THE REAL THING dvd.
    Last edited by reese; 09-10-2018 at 12:35 PM.