[REMOVE ADS]




Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 104
  1. #1

    Ross '78 [[Expanded Edition) any tracklist?

    What songs, alternate or unreleased tracks do you think they are going to include on the expanded edition of Ross '78?

    I know there're some alternate versions of "Never Say I Don't Love You" and an unreleased track, "You Are The Most Important Person In Your Life", but what else could be include on it?
    Last edited by Diana Ross Fan Club; 09-02-2018 at 04:50 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    33,861
    Rep Power
    522
    Hopefully, "For Once in My Life" will get its first digital release on it, because it belongs there. Also, I expect the TGIF soundtrack mix of "Lovin', Livin' and Givin'."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    43,221
    Rep Power
    576
    Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Hopefully, "For Once in My Life" will get its first digital release on it, because it belongs there. Also, I expect the TGIF soundtrack mix of "Lovin', Livin' and Givin'."
    That was a rather unique song. They will have to include something special on it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,342
    Rep Power
    225
    The original album included some new tracks and some remixed older tracks. and the entire album is available digitally today on iTunes.

    from what i've put together through various books and cd booklets, here's what i believe is the list of songs considered for the lp

    1. Lovin Livin Giving - and there are of course multiple versions and mixes. see the wikipedia link below
    2. What You Gave me - there's the 12" [[available on the Ross album) and 7" versions [[available on Anthology)
    3. Never Say i Don't love you
    4. you were the one
    5. Reach out I'll be there - was a new mix
    6. sorry doesn't make it right - a new mix
    7. Together - a new mix
    8. Where Did we go wrong
    9. to love again - there's the released version and the version where she sings some in french which was on Expanded Edition of Diana Ross 76
    10. Harmony - released on Expanded Edition of Diana Ross 76
    11. Come Together - a new mix
    12. Share some love - previously released on To Love Again
    13. We're Always Saying Goodbye - previously released on To Love Again
    14. Fire Don't Burn - previously released on diana 80 expanded
    15. We can never light that old flame - previously released on diana 80 expanded
    16. You build be up to tear me down - previously released on diana 80 expanded
    17. Sweet Summertime Loving - previously released on diana 80 expanded
    18. For once in my life

    Wikipedia does a good job of listing all of the various versions of Lovin' Livin' Givin'
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_[[1978_album)

    i believe that's all of the songs i'm aware of. now there might be various version of some of these songs, especially some that have been released already on other expanded editions. But i'm not sure what else would be left.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    709
    Rep Power
    88
    There is an alternate version of “where did we go wrong”. Don’t know if there are more versions or not.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,925
    Rep Power
    201
    There is an alternate version of "Love Hangover" with different background vocals.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,342
    Rep Power
    225
    ^there are a couple of version of LH. there are at least 2 versions of her lead for the "slow" section of the song. then it seems as though there's 1 long uninterrupted recording of the "fast" section and this was used as the alternate version on DR 76 expanded. from this long, unedited version, they used various segments for the different released versions of the fast section

    then there are 2 versions of backgrounds - the one from the album and then the one used for the unreleased version on diana 80 expanded.

    from all of this they've assembled various versions in the 70s and then used again for various remix versions in the 90s

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    6,661
    Rep Power
    189
    Since the posts from 9/3 have disappeared and probably not coming back, I'll add again for the record that there's the songs Diana recorded before they were recut on the group High Energy, as well as the duet between Diana and Billy Preston on "Room Enough for Two".

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,342
    Rep Power
    225
    interesting - wasn't aware of those! wonder if they saved diana's vocals on those tracks before passing to HE

    and of course there certainly could be other tracks still waiting in the vaults that were recorded during this time period. they knew Diana would be tied up with the Wiz for quite a while and so they would have wanted to make sure there was sufficient content ready for release as needed

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    6,661
    Rep Power
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    interesting - wasn't aware of those! wonder if they saved diana's vocals on those tracks before passing to HE

    and of course there certainly could be other tracks still waiting in the vaults that were recorded during this time period. they knew Diana would be tied up with the Wiz for quite a while and so they would have wanted to make sure there was sufficient content ready for release as needed
    There are most certainly other tracks. I think this release will make up for the fact that the original album was released at all. Lol

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,342
    Rep Power
    225
    it's baffling who decided to release the original nonsense. I like a lot of the tunes independently. but the overall LP was a mess. it's as if they started with side a and then scrambled to meet a deadline by throwing side b on there. i'm fine with remixing old tunes to make them new and fresh but the work they did on some of them was so insignificant that it wasn't worthwhile

    plus there were so many other tunes that would have been more current and appropriate.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    33,861
    Rep Power
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Since the posts from 9/3 have disappeared and probably not coming back, I'll add again for the record that there's the songs Diana recorded before they were recut on the group High Energy, as well as the duet between Diana and Billy Preston on "Room Enough for Two".
    Likewise, I'll re-add my suggestion of alternate mixes of "Pops, We Love You."

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,226
    Rep Power
    78
    Never Say I Don't Love You is one of her greatest vocal performances. It is stunningly simple and soulful. I would love other versions of this gem.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,342
    Rep Power
    225
    Never and You Were The One both produced by Greg Wright, who also did He's My Man for the Supremes. I think his two Diana tracks are excellent and hint at what could have been a great pairing. with the Supremes, i like the instrumental track more than the lyrics which i found a bit silly. not terrible but a little adjusting could have made it a much stronger record. And having Scherrie do the lead.

    what else did Greg do?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    6,661
    Rep Power
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    it's baffling who decided to release the original nonsense. I like a lot of the tunes independently. but the overall LP was a mess. it's as if they started with side a and then scrambled to meet a deadline by throwing side b on there. i'm fine with remixing old tunes to make them new and fresh but the work they did on some of them was so insignificant that it wasn't worthwhile

    plus there were so many other tunes that would have been more current and appropriate.
    I agree. I could've lived with side A, even though I only really like "What You Gave Me" and "You Were the One", the latter of which is one of my all time fav Diana cuts. But side B would've been so different. But my Ross 78 [[so far) might've looked like this:

    1) Lovin, Livin and Givin [[a song I HATE)
    2) What You Gave Me
    3) Fire Don't Burn [[replacing "Never Say")
    4) You Were the One

    5) You Build Me Up to Tear Me Down
    6) Sweet Summertime Livin
    7) We Can Never Light That Old Flame Again
    8) For Once In My Life [[with a different mix)

    I would've kept the dance album concept. That was the place to be in 1978. I don't know what the hell they were thinking with the side 2.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    603
    Rep Power
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    Never and You Were The One both produced by Greg Wright, who also did He's My Man for the Supremes. I think his two Diana tracks are excellent and hint at what could have been a great pairing. with the Supremes, i like the instrumental track more than the lyrics which i found a bit silly. not terrible but a little adjusting could have made it a much stronger record. And having Scherrie do the lead.

    what else did Greg do?
    Greg Wright also co-wrote the Diana & Marvin track "You're A Special Part of Me." He also plays keyboards on An Evening With Diana Ross live album. He was also part of the Devastating Affair, who did the back-up vocals on Ross early 1970s live concerts and also on the Everything is Everything album.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,342
    Rep Power
    225
    ^thanks!! that's great to know. there seem to be so few productions from him. was sort of wondering what his role was with motown.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,342
    Rep Power
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I agree. I could've lived with side A, even though I only really like "What You Gave Me" and "You Were the One", the latter of which is one of my all time fav Diana cuts. But side B would've been so different. But my Ross 78 [[so far) might've looked like this:

    1) Lovin, Livin and Givin [[a song I HATE)
    2) What You Gave Me
    3) Fire Don't Burn [[replacing "Never Say")
    4) You Were the One

    5) You Build Me Up to Tear Me Down
    6) Sweet Summertime Livin
    7) We Can Never Light That Old Flame Again
    8) For Once In My Life [[with a different mix)

    I would've kept the dance album concept. That was the place to be in 1978. I don't know what the hell they were thinking with the side 2.
    I agree. In Randy's book, George Soloman notes that an original title for the album was Feelin' Fun and it was to be a disco themed album. what we got was a hot mess

    a while back i made a playlist using pretty much exactly the tunes you've listed out. while it's cohesive from the aspect of dance, i do think some of the tunes are subpar. I realize Motown might not have been on the forefront of the disco scene. but this is Miss Ross we're talking about here. the queen of motown. and if these were the tunes she was getting [[and supposedly the best) Yikes!!

    Lovin - while not the most magical track ever, i don't hate this one. i even kinda like the "I feel love" knock off version.

    What you gave me - this ok but the wonky funky bass line is a bit much for me

    Fire Don't burn - this one is pretty weak IMO. the material the Hollands gave the Supremes during this time was much better than this one.

    You were the one - sensational. maybe there are a few other Greg Wright productions in the vaults that could have helped fill out this album

    You Build me up - this one is ok. decent but not sensational

    Sweet summertime - hate this one

    We can never - ok

    For once in my life - this is a much stronger remake than What You Gave me. should have been included vs that one

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    6,661
    Rep Power
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    I agree. In Randy's book, George Soloman notes that an original title for the album was Feelin' Fun and it was to be a disco themed album. what we got was a hot mess

    a while back i made a playlist using pretty much exactly the tunes you've listed out. while it's cohesive from the aspect of dance, i do think some of the tunes are subpar. I realize Motown might not have been on the forefront of the disco scene. but this is Miss Ross we're talking about here. the queen of motown. and if these were the tunes she was getting [[and supposedly the best) Yikes!!

    Lovin - while not the most magical track ever, i don't hate this one. i even kinda like the "I feel love" knock off version.

    What you gave me - this ok but the wonky funky bass line is a bit much for me

    Fire Don't burn - this one is pretty weak IMO. the material the Hollands gave the Supremes during this time was much better than this one.

    You were the one - sensational. maybe there are a few other Greg Wright productions in the vaults that could have helped fill out this album

    You Build me up - this one is ok. decent but not sensational

    Sweet summertime - hate this one

    We can never - ok

    For once in my life - this is a much stronger remake than What You Gave me. should have been included vs that one
    Always keep in mind that the stuff we get 30+ years later may not be how they were going to originally be released. Personally, while I like her version of "For Once In My Life", I find it hard to believe it was intended for release in that state. And for the album I had in mind, I would've liked for the track to be sped up a bit.

    "You Build Me Up" had to grow on me. I never disliked it but it wasn't something I particularly cared to sit through. Now I like it quite a bit.

    "Sweet Summertime" is one of my favs. Tweak the chorus and I think it could've been a hit.

    "Light That Old Flame" is another one I really like. I love her performance of it.

    "Fire Don't Burn" I like a lot, but it's purely an album track, nothing more.

    "What You Gave Me" I love. I think "For Once In My Life" should've had a similar sound and speed.

    I'm with you on Greg Wright. Diana had "You Were the One" in her live act at some point. Sure would be nice if this somehow made it onto the expanded edition.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,147
    Rep Power
    161
    The HDH songs just sounded weak and really old hat to me. It's hard to imagine this was the same team recording such relevant music with the 70's Supremes. Motown certainly did the right thing by not including them on this album.
    For side 2 i would have included the unused Richard Perry songs from BIM and perhaps have added Diana's Motown version of "Home".
    "Never Say I Don't Love You" should without doubt been the single release.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    43,221
    Rep Power
    576
    They are really just wasting money doing this type of thing, re-releasing expanded albums that were just marginal when in their original release when there are excellent albums by other artists that deserve an expanded release.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,691
    Rep Power
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    They are really just wasting money doing this type of thing, re-releasing expanded albums that were just marginal when in their original release when there are excellent albums by other artists that deserve an expanded release.
    I guess that's why the horrible "Red Hot" by Mary Wilson should never be released and expanded on cd. It really would be a total waste of money. No one bought it the first time!! Nobody would buy it now.
    Last edited by vgalindo; 09-07-2018 at 02:29 PM.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    43,221
    Rep Power
    576
    Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    I guess that's why the horrible "Red Hot" by Mary Wilson should never be released and expanded on cd. It really would be a total waste of money. No one bought it the first time!! Nobody would buy it now.
    First of all it wasn't a horrible album. It was not a classic either, but "Ross 78" was a throw away album with most of the material not being original for it's release. Does Diana Ross need the money that bad? It is going to sell less now, some 40 years later than it did in 1978. While more worthy albums are bypassed. How about expanding the Commodores 1977 album?

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,342
    Rep Power
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    First of all it wasn't a horrible album. It was not a classic either, but "Ross 78" was a throw away album with most of the material not being original for it's release. Does Diana Ross need the money that bad? It is going to sell less now, some 40 years later than it did in 1978. While more worthy albums are bypassed. How about expanding the Commodores 1977 album?
    while i might be grossly overestimate the business acumen and prowess of Universal, it seems pretty obvious that they're only interested in expanded albums from artists with a prove RECENT track record. between Universal and HipO, they did dabble in a wide range of artists:

    David Ruffin - solo albums
    Eddie Kendricks - solo albums
    Miracles - live albums, post Smokey albums, the early albums
    Tammi Terrell - expanded
    Teena Marie
    Smokey Robinson - solo albums
    Marvin Gaye expanded sets
    jackson 5 rare and expanded material
    Four Tops - 2 L&F sets
    MRATV - L&F set
    Marvelettes - expanded sets of albums
    Blinky & Edwin Star
    Supremes & Diana Ross sets
    Syreeta albums
    Temptations - expanded sets
    Boys II Men - expanded sets
    Rick James - expanded set
    The motown singles year by year, motown live, motown sings motown, pops we love you


    I think there were even some more that i'm missing here. about the only ones NOT included with something are Stevie and Commodores. For stevie i think we all know that he owns the publishing and copywrites so therefor only he can authorize release. since there's no Lionel solo or commordores material, perhaps they negotiated the same?

    otherwise give the list above, if something hasn't been released, odds are it'll won't be. if the artist was selling these sets, they would have continued

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,691
    Rep Power
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    First of all it wasn't a horrible album. It was not a classic either, but "Ross 78" was a throw away album with most of the material not being original for it's release. Does Diana Ross need the money that bad? It is going to sell less now, some 40 years later than it did in 1978. While more worthy albums are bypassed. How about expanding the Commodores 1977 album?
    First of all Diana Ross has nothing to do with these expanded releases being released so it's not about her needing money that bad. If I remember correctly it's Mary Wilson who is always suing and going to court about royalties. I guess she is the one needing money that bad? Lol And by the way I would love an expanded Commodores 1977 album.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    43,221
    Rep Power
    576
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    while i might be grossly overestimate the business acumen and prowess of Universal, it seems pretty obvious that they're only interested in expanded albums from artists with a prove RECENT track record. between Universal and HipO, they did dabble in a wide range of artists:

    David Ruffin - solo albums
    Eddie Kendricks - solo albums
    Miracles - live albums, post Smokey albums, the early albums
    Tammi Terrell - expanded
    Teena Marie
    Smokey Robinson - solo albums
    Marvin Gaye expanded sets
    jackson 5 rare and expanded material
    Four Tops - 2 L&F sets
    MRATV - L&F set
    Marvelettes - expanded sets of albums
    Blinky & Edwin Star
    Supremes & Diana Ross sets
    Syreeta albums
    Temptations - expanded sets
    Boys II Men - expanded sets
    Rick James - expanded set
    The motown singles year by year, motown live, motown sings motown, pops we love you


    I think there were even some more that i'm missing here. about the only ones NOT included with something are Stevie and Commodores. For stevie i think we all know that he owns the publishing and copywrites so therefor only he can authorize release. since there's no Lionel solo or commordores material, perhaps they negotiated the same?

    otherwise give the list above, if something hasn't been released, odds are it'll won't be. if the artist was selling these sets, they would have continued
    Well based on what is discussed here [[even before this sub-form was created), you'd think that only the Supremes got the expanded/deluxe treatment. Thank you for that list. I'd still like to see other albums by the Four Tops, Commodores and even the Temptations get the expanded/deluxe treatment with the little booklets, unreleased and different mixes of songs offered.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    43,221
    Rep Power
    576
    Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    First of all Diana Ross has nothing to do with these expanded releases being released so it's not about her needing money that bad. If I remember correctly it's Mary Wilson who is always suing and going to court about royalties. I guess she is the one needing money that bad? Lol And by the way I would love an expanded Commodores 1977 album.
    Well it ain't just Mary Wilson and you know that because you saw the news articles and thread posted on that subject here at SDF. I assumed Diane might because she's driving a Chrysler 300 that is several years old, wears 20,30,40 year dresses on stage [[though she tries to spruce them up some) and she dresses like a bum in public when goes grocery shopping practically everyday when she is not on stage somewhere working.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,342
    Rep Power
    225
    ^i agree, especially about the Four Tops. i really love their albums and music. but i'm guessing that the L&F sets just weren't huge sellers. hence no subsequent material. same with MRATV. The temps did get a handful of releases on Hip O. and Eddie and David got full releases of their solo stuff.

    Also there were the Singles sets for Tempts, 4T, DRATS and MRATV and the DVD sets. sales of those would have probably also influenced what else would be released.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    5,903
    Rep Power
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    ^i agree, especially about the Four Tops. i really love their albums and music. but i'm guessing that the L&F sets just weren't huge sellers. hence no subsequent material. same with MRATV. The temps did get a handful of releases on Hip O. and Eddie and David got full releases of their solo stuff.

    Also there were the Singles sets for Tempts, 4T, DRATS and MRATV and the DVD sets. sales of those would have probably also influenced what else would be released.
    I would love to see some Four Tops expanded editions, but i very much doubt we will get them anytime soon.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    5,903
    Rep Power
    146
    [QUOTE=vgalindo;479362]I guess that's why the horrible "Red Hot" by Mary Wilson should never be released and expanded on cd. It really would be a total waste of money. No one bought it the first time!! Nobody would buy it now.
    This album was picked up by a company for an expanded edition reissue a couple of years ago, but the company eventually decided to pass up on it.Maybe some other company will decide to take up the option, but it is unlikely to shift more than a few 100 copies, which would not make it cost effective. It was a poor effort which hasn't aged at all well. I was asked my opinion of it and there were only three songs on there that could be called half decent.. However, the unreleased material was a little stronger but still far from great.

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    5,903
    Rep Power
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    They are really just wasting money doing this type of thing, re-releasing expanded albums that were just marginal when in their original release when there are excellent albums by other artists that deserve an expanded release.
    You have the option not to buy it so what is your problem? On second thoughts don't answer that question because we all know what your problem is.

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    703
    Rep Power
    140
    Never undertood why Never Say I Don't Love You was tucked away on the B-side of No-One Gets The Prize in the UK - a real missed opportunity.

    But then Bluerock has said there were dark politics going on with Diana at EMI during this period.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,600
    Rep Power
    171
    I don't think Ross was a mess but yet very disappointing from a artist like DR.
    where was the PR dept on this? the new version of Reach Out was good and should have went to a hits collection,imo.
    Together was weak n should have stayed on the B side,
    Never Say I Don't Love You was beautiful. loved You Were The One. I hope the found a few more Greg
    Wright tracks.
    I heard there are tracks that were found from the DR black album. and I think tracks from another session.
    wish this deluxe would happen asap

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,691
    Rep Power
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    I don't think Ross was a mess but yet very disappointing from a artist like DR.
    where was the PR dept on this? the new version of Reach Out was good and should have went to a hits collection,imo.
    Together was weak n should have stayed on the B side,
    Never Say I Don't Love You was beautiful. loved You Were The One. I hope the found a few more Greg
    Wright tracks.
    I heard there are tracks that were found from the DR black album. and I think tracks from another session.
    wish this deluxe would happen asap
    Me too. I have been wanting this one for so long.

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    603
    Rep Power
    144
    If I remember correctly, Andy said there were still some Jeffrey Bowen-produced tracks [[who did "Le Lo Li" and "Go Where Your Mind Is" on the extended Diana Ross 1976 album, and of course the Bonnie Pointer albums) left, which would be included on the expanded edition of the Ross 1978 album.

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,147
    Rep Power
    161
    As the HDH songs were pretty poor, and with the exception of "You Were The One" the other uptempo songs weak i would have made the collection far more ballad orientated.
    The album would have been titled To Love Again with a real photo of Diana on the cover. My track list would be.....

    Side 1

    1.To Love Again
    2. Baby I Love Your Way
    3.Country John
    4.Sorry Doesn,t Always Make It Right. [[single version). Covered by Gladys Knight in 79.
    5.You Were The One.

    Side 2.
    6. Reach out Ill Be There. Love this remix version).
    7.Never Say I Don't Love You.
    8.Share Some Love.
    9.Room Enough For Two
    10.We're Always Saying Goodbye

    Now a classic album lol.

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,600
    Rep Power
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    If I remember correctly, Andy said there were still some Jeffrey Bowen-produced tracks [[who did "Le Lo Li" and "Go Where Your Mind Is" on the extended Diana Ross 1976 album, and of course the Bonnie Pointer albums) left, which would be included on the expanded edition of the Ross 1978 album.
    thanks Jaap. that is the producer I was thinking of but could not remember. damn I am getting old. I used to know all this stuff so well. hopefully we will get a Christmas gift.

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    6,661
    Rep Power
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    As the HDH songs were pretty poor, and with the exception of "You Were The One" the other uptempo songs weak i would have made the collection far more ballad orientated.
    The album would have been titled To Love Again with a real photo of Diana on the cover. My track list would be.....

    Side 1

    1.To Love Again
    2. Baby I Love Your Way
    3.Country John
    4.Sorry Doesn,t Always Make It Right. [[single version). Covered by Gladys Knight in 79.
    5.You Were The One.

    Side 2.
    6. Reach out Ill Be There. Love this remix version).
    7.Never Say I Don't Love You.
    8.Share Some Love.
    9.Room Enough For Two
    10.We're Always Saying Goodbye

    Now a classic album lol.
    I wouldn't have been happy with this one Ollie. Lol There's no scenario where I would've included "Reach Out" after it had already been on Surrender and a 1971 single. This lineup is a bit slow for me.

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,600
    Rep Power
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I wouldn't have been happy with this one Ollie. Lol There's no scenario where I would've included "Reach Out" after it had already been on Surrender and a 1971 single. This lineup is a bit slow for me.
    yeah I agree, should have kept the dance theme

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,147
    Rep Power
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I wouldn't have been happy with this one Ollie. Lol There's no scenario where I would've included "Reach Out" after it had already been on Surrender and a 1971 single. This lineup is a bit slow for me.
    Ain't nuthin' wrong with slow honey lol. I think it makes for a nice chill out album and is more cohesive then what was released.
    I have to say i have always been really confused by the songs HDH cut with Diana at the time. I mean compare "High Energy" to "Fire Don't Burn".....I MEAN REALLY!!!!.

  41. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3,040
    Rep Power
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Ain't nuthin' wrong with slow honey lol. I think it makes for a nice chill out album and is more cohesive then what was released.
    I have to say i have always been really confused by the songs HDH cut with Diana at the time. I mean compare "High Energy" to "Fire Don't Burn".....I MEAN REALLY!!!!.
    FIRE DON'T BURN : throwaway lyrics being sung in a throwaway style. Needed a serious rewrite right down to the incorrect title. imo.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 09-09-2018 at 05:52 PM.

  42. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    6,661
    Rep Power
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Ain't nuthin' wrong with slow honey lol. I think it makes for a nice chill out album and is more cohesive then what was released.
    I have to say i have always been really confused by the songs HDH cut with Diana at the time. I mean compare "High Energy" to "Fire Don't Burn".....I MEAN REALLY!!!!.
    Oh yeah, nothing wrong with slow. However, at this point the album needed to be fire, and the only song on your list that is fire for me is "You Were the One". I love "Baby I Love Your Way", "To Love Again", "We're Always Saying Goodbye", but not for this album. [[I think "To Love" and "Goodbye", along with other cuts, should've been on the Mahogany soundtrack. She should've done a "Mahogany" album, like the other fantastic Black movie soundtracks of the day.)

    Can you imagine Diana doing "High Energy"? I really would've loved to hear that.

  43. #43
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,342
    Rep Power
    225
    in an interview she gave during this time, she mentioned that she was recording a lot so that there'd be sufficient material to release while she worked on the Wiz. she said one album would be disco/dance and another would be one to make love to. I actually think she was referring to the Richard Perry album in regards to that later comment but not sure

    Around this time, just about everything was being geared in pop music towards disco. while a more standard pop album would have been lovely, i think it would not have been a strong seller. she needed major dance tunes although the above track lists we've all been playing with are hardly qualifying of that label. and even though the Perry album has held up well over time and is a fine cohesive work, it really doesn't have the ultra strong dance material either. When you compare it to the major work the Bee Gees were doing with Saturday Night Fever [[which was release shortly after Baby It's Me) you can see how the Diana material just pales. it's just not dynamic or strong enough

    now that said, if she were to do a pop album, i'd have done the following lineup:

    Together
    Share Some Love
    Harmony
    Never Say I Don't Love you
    Old Funky Rolls

    Come Together
    Sorry Doesn't Always Make it right
    Where did we go wrong
    we're always saying goodbye
    to love again

    also intrigued by the idea of a more "funk" album with Bowen. While she would never have gone as far as Rufus or Parliament, perhaps something a bit more dynamic. I think the title track from Baby It's Me [[especially the remix on the extended BIM set) was hot. Le Lo Li had some potential too

  44. #44
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    6,504
    Rep Power
    176
    I think "Baby It's Me" is a fantastic and properly funkay track. "Gettin' Ready For Love" is quality disco, smooth and soulful. Both sound like hits to me, not massive but substantial. I would have loved a full-on funk album with Diana though, what about some Stevie-produced funk??

    Don't ask me about any tracks on Ross I ain't got that one yet

  45. #45
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    33,861
    Rep Power
    522
    Probably that solo “I’ll Keep My Light in My Window” that just surfaced as well.

  46. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,342
    Rep Power
    225
    hmmm you know - i'm just not that excited by Stevie's work. it's fine for him but i've never been overly impressed with what he's done with others

    I think the work Rick James did with Teena Marie might be more of the direction for Diana. he would probably have to pull it back even some more but it would have been something new and interesting. had he taken the Diana qualities and added some of his grit and funk, you might have had something totally new and original. in 78 that could have helped her really emerge from the masses

  47. #47
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,147
    Rep Power
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    in an interview she gave during this time, she mentioned that she was recording a lot so that there'd be sufficient material to release while she worked on the Wiz. she said one album would be disco/dance and another would be one to make love to. I actually think she was referring to the Richard Perry album in regards to that later comment but not sure

    Around this time, just about everything was being geared in pop music towards disco. while a more standard pop album would have been lovely, i think it would not have been a strong seller. she needed major dance tunes although the above track lists we've all been playing with are hardly qualifying of that label. and even though the Perry album has held up well over time and is a fine cohesive work, it really doesn't have the ultra strong dance material either. When you compare it to the major work the Bee Gees were doing with Saturday Night Fever [[which was release shortly after Baby It's Me) you can see how the Diana material just pales. it's just not dynamic or strong enough

    now that said, if she were to do a pop album, i'd have done the following lineup:

    Together
    Share Some Love
    Harmony
    Never Say I Don't Love you
    Old Funky Rolls

    Come Together
    Sorry Doesn't Always Make it right
    Where did we go wrong
    we're always saying goodbye
    to love again

    also intrigued by the idea of a more "funk" album with Bowen. While she would never have gone as far as Rufus or Parliament, perhaps something a bit more dynamic. I think the title track from Baby It's Me [[especially the remix on the extended BIM set) was hot. Le Lo Li had some potential too
    Are you quite quite sure about "Old Funky Rolls?????

  48. #48
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,342
    Rep Power
    225
    ^ lolol i actually like the song.

  49. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    6,661
    Rep Power
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Probably that solo “I’ll Keep My Light in My Window” that just surfaced as well.
    Either that or Diana and Marvin expanded. I'm still crossing my fingers on that one.

  50. #50
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    6,661
    Rep Power
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    hmmm you know - i'm just not that excited by Stevie's work. it's fine for him but i've never been overly impressed with what he's done with others

    I think the work Rick James did with Teena Marie might be more of the direction for Diana. he would probably have to pull it back even some more but it would have been something new and interesting. had he taken the Diana qualities and added some of his grit and funk, you might have had something totally new and original. in 78 that could have helped her really emerge from the masses
    Yeah, Rick was a missed opportunity. I guarantee that would have been a winner.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.