[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gladys speaks of her friendship with Aretha and having same disease

What was that about? There’s articles about Gladys having cancer as well. While her publicist denied this, it still doesn’t make it less concerning.

Hopefully she was not referring to cancer of the pancreas because it is one of the least treatable forms of cancer

Gladys has since clarified that she had stage 1 breast cancer and is now cancer free due to early detection. Thank goodness.

As funny as it is that she blamed the reporter in her statement, I also thought she meant she had pancreatic cancer when she vaguely said that she and Aretha shared the same disease.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...ission-718184/

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Gladys has since clarified that she had stage 1 breast cancer and is now cancer free due to early detection. Thank goodness.

As funny as it is that she blamed the reporter in her statement, I also thought she meant she had pancreatic cancer when she vaguely said that she and Aretha shared the same disease.

Gladys was tired and in an semi-emotional state when she spoke to Paula Tuckman of WDIV Detroit. I am happy that she is not ill.

Bless the Lord!!!!!

Thanks to Gladys for clarifying. I was scared for a minute. Lol

She looked real healthy at the funeral. Glad she detected her cancer early.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Gladys was tired and in an semi-emotional state when she spoke to Paula Tuckman of WDIV Detroit. I am happy that she is not ill.
    Understandable. I am also happy she is not ill. Before she clarified her comments that she made at the funeral, I had found this interview she did with EXTRA earlier in the week [[dated August 28th) and she made a similar vague remark, saying that like Aretha, she had also been 'diagnosed'. However, none of the media outlets picked up on it until she said the same thing again on Friday at the funeral. Just seems odd to me to make the same mistake twice, in the span of the same week, by being so vague. It's not surprising to me that everyone reacted the way they did. Whether it was intentional on her part or not, to speak so vaguely, is another question altogether. Sure, it's fine to be emotional and speak in an unclear manner once, by mistake. But it happened twice. That's all I'm gonna say...

http://extratv.com/2018/08/28/gladys...etha-franklin/

Understandable. I am also happy she is not ill. Before she clarified her comments that she made at the funeral, I had found this interview she did with EXTRA earlier in the week [[dated August 28th) and she made a similar vague remark, saying that like Aretha, she had also been 'diagnosed'. However, none of the media outlets picked up on it until she said the same thing again on Friday at the funeral. Just seems odd to me to make the same mistake twice, in the span of the same week, by being so vague. It's not surprising to me that everyone reacted the way they did. Whether it was intentional on her part or not, to speak so vaguely, is another question altogether. Sure, it's fine to be emotional and speak in an unclear manner once, by mistake. But it happened twice. That's all I'm gonna say...

I think she/they do that because it could affect their work, their bookings. I remember back in the mid 2000s when Mary Wilson had a health crisis, she went on Access Hollywood to explain as soon as possible. She also went back to work pretty quickly. Being vague is neither good or bad depending on how you look at it.

Thank you for the link Carlo

Gladys, once again, stirs the pot to get attention - this time at Queen Ree’s final public moment. Not content to use her mega talent to wow the world, she resorted to suggesting she also had cancer and hoped for media hype. None came. So she did it AGAIN - this time AT the funeral - then blamed it on
    ‘the inaccurate reporting of an interviewer” which is total BS because Gladys is the one who claimed “the same diagnosis”. Now, she could have said, “i’m A cancer survivor and I wish the same for Aretha, or some other way to suggest that she USED to have cancer - instead of suggesting strongly, twice, in a carefully worded way, that she too has pancreatic cancer. I love her voice but this is a new low - even for her. I can expect as much from someone cheesy enough to accept a second-tier moniker like Empress Of Soul - Aretha must still be howling at that. Gladys: stick to singing, cuz you fulla shit!

i don’t even buy that she had stage one breast cancer - but if she did, I am genuinely happy she beat it clean.

Yeah she did say "same diagnosis". Breast cancer is different from pancreatic...

It’s such a cheap, rotten, desperate, despicable thing to pull. She’s always been jealous of Queen Ree - always. This just proves she’ll stoop lower than low to get press. And then lie on the reporter claiming a misquote when the reporter is the one SHE said it to!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    It’s such a cheap, rotten, desperate, despicable thing to pull. She’s always been jealous of Queen Ree - always. This just proves she’ll stoop lower than low to get press. And then lie on the reporter claiming a misquote when the reporter is the one SHE said it to!
    A bit harsh, but I have to agree. It's like proposing at someone's wedding. Never upstage the bride. Never upstage the Queen.

Is that the reason why she's called the Empress because she's mad the Queen title got taken? I know it sounds like we hate Gladys [[we don't), but I do find it odd that now that Aretha's dead, it seemed she wasn't just shading Gladys for no good reason after all...

These guys age, the crowds begin to thin out, the gigs are fewer and pay less - they create their own press and attention and Aretha was one of the best at it

Not saying it’s pretty to watch but this is the day of Trump who does the same thing

https://youtu.be/IWBtTwg725U

Isn’t this the problem most of them face?

I guess I was harsh but it pisses me off because I’ve lost people to cancer and I don’t take kindly to people using it for sympathy or to steal attention from Her Most Imperial Highness: Queen Ree. Even though I think that I think Gladys’ voice is .....gasp....equal to Ree in magnificence, or damn near close, we were concentrating our love and light on Aretha and what Gladys did is and unforgivable breach of decency. I don’t care who said what when all is equal, but at a funeral, HAVE SOME RESPECT OR TAKE A HIKE! She nailed her songs and only The Jennifer’s really gave her a run for the money.

Gladys: keep singing but otherwise keep your shady, lyin’ mouth shut and stay out if trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Yeah she did say "same diagnosis". Breast cancer is different from pancreatic...
    But it's all cancer. Nine out of ten times when I learn that someone I know has cancer, it's usually told to me as "I/they have cancer". Sometimes it's specific, most times it isn't, even when it's coming from the person him/herself. IMO it's impolite to askbecause I know some folks don't like to get into it too deep. Gladys has clarified her comment. There's no reason to believe it was anything other than being misunderstood. If we had not known that Aretha had pancreatic cancer, this wouldn't even be a story. [[Other than the Empress having cancer, of course.)

Is that the reason why she's called the Empress because she's mad the Queen title got taken? I know it sounds like we hate Gladys [[we don't), but I do find it odd that now that Aretha's dead, it seemed she wasn't just shading Gladys for no good reason after all...
    I wasn't aware that Gladys gave herself a title. I thought that, like most of our music royalty, the name was given to her. I do think that at the time of Gladys' writing her book that she may have had some jealousy because if I remember correctly she said something about someone [[Little Richard?) calling her the real Queen of Soul. I think there's a certain amount of shade in even repeating that, even if someone call's you that. That was 1990 something and it looks like there's been no ill will between these two women in eons. For Gladys to even get an invite from the family, who surely was aware of the people the Queen disliked as Ree does not strike me as the type of woman who kept her dislikes to herself at home [[or in public), it shows that whatever negativity there was, it no longer mattered.

Nah I'm not saying she called herself that [[I doubt she has that type of ego). But I know some folks who were probably anti-Aretha wanted to give Gladys the title because "well she had the hits before Aretha", which technically was not true at all lmao

Little Richard was stanning Gladys something heavy on that Behind the Music documentary so yeah that was him saying it [["she's the Queen of Soul to me"). Ree and Gladys possibly did make their peace before the end of her life though. Shows you that she was able to let go of some grudges.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    But it's all cancer. Nine out of ten times when I learn that someone I know has cancer, it's usually told to me as "I/they have cancer". Sometimes it's specific, most times it isn't, even when it's coming from the person him/herself. IMO it's impolite to askbecause I know some folks don't like to get into it too deep. Gladys has clarified her comment. There's no reason to believe it was anything other than being misunderstood. If we had not known that Aretha had pancreatic cancer, this wouldn't even be a story. [[Other than the Empress having cancer, of course.)
    The issue isn’t cancer, the issue is wording very carefully “the same diagnosis” which to, anyone experienced with cancer is like saying “I gave a limo” when really it’s VW Bug because both are cars. The same diagnosis reads: the most dreaded of cancers that took our Queen who we are mourning today VS I HAD it once , and it’s gone. It’s totall BS. NO ONE goes up to a person dying of cancer and says, Yeah, I had it too, but I beat it!” She was grabbing headlines st Ree’s funeral and it stinks. She didn’t even apologize and say, “ I misspoke” - she’s blaming the reporter. She knew exactly what she was doing and it’s low.

MotownManiac's right. She had everyone thinking she had pancreatic cancer and then instead of saying she misspoke, blamed the media.

Gladys is old enough to know better.

Nah I'm not saying she called herself that [[I doubt she has that type of ego). But I know some folks who were probably anti-Aretha wanted to give Gladys the title because "well she had the hits before Aretha", which technically was not true at all lmao

Little Richard was stanning Gladys something heavy on that Behind the Music documentary so yeah that was him saying it [["she's the Queen of Soul to me"). Ree and Gladys possibly did make their peace before the end of her life though. Shows you that she was able to let go of some grudges.
    It's possible that the title was bestowed upon Gladys as an anti-Aretha move, but I doubt it. Lets be honest, there are only a handful of African American singers of Aretha's generation who had anywhere near the impact on the public that she did: Gladys, Diana, and Dionne. I think calling Gladys the Empress of Soul is fitting. I used to hear Etta James as the Queen of R&B but now I see folks are calling her the Matriarch. Patti Labelle is now being called the Godmother of Soul. I don't think any of those titles are anti Aretha, but show respect to the other women of song who some feel deserve a title without trying to take Ree's crown.

MotownManiac's right. She had everyone thinking she had pancreatic cancer and then instead of saying she misspoke, blamed the media.

Sorry Midnight, but no one is going to get me to believe that Gladys Knight, the Empress of Soul, a legend among legends, woke up not once, but twice, and decided "You know what, I'm going to garner some publicity for myself and make everybody believe I have/had pancreatic cancer". Nope. Not happening. Gladys is old enough to know better. You don't joke about cancer. You don't pretend to have it or pretend to have had it. You don't make it up to get publicity. I don't believe that. Won't believe it.

Now her attitude about the reporter is ridiculous. The reporter thought she was saying she had pancreatic cancer just like everyone else did. All Gladys had to do was clarify and move on. They both had cancer. Cancer is a disease in which abnormal cells divide uncontrollably and destroy body tissue. Within the disease of cancer there are many types, but the disease is still the same. So when Gladys says they both had the same disease, that wasn't a lie. It's just that the disease had attacked one part of Gladys body while the same disease attacked a different part of Aretha's body.

Gladys Knight has never proven herself to be a woman of such low integrity. I refuse to believe that she waits until she's damn near 80 to suddenly go there.

she knew exactly what she was doing - it was too carefully worded to be anything other than intentional. Anyone with cancer knows the diagnosis is NOT “I have cancer” it IS “I have BREAST cancer, I have BRAIN cancer, I have PANCREATIC Cancer” only a third person removed would refer to it just as cancer. And she did it twice. A week apart.

Remember a few years when her last album came out and she was getting publicity with “Diana ross had me kicked off her tour” headline? On 3 shows that was the teaser - 50 year old news. She hadn’t mentioned it in years, now, it’s everywhhere. This is just SS/DD. Like one person on YouTube wrote, “Gladys throws more shade than a 90 year old oak tree on growth hormones.’

Here’s the lyrics

An old lady that isn’t feeling so happy any more

https://youtu.be/hrsKJ0KUyJw

she knew exactly what she was doing - it was too carefully worded to be anything other than intentional. Anyone with cancer knows the diagnosis is NOT “I have cancer” it IS “I have BREAST cancer, I have BRAIN cancer, I have PANCREATIC Cancer” only a third person removed would refer to it just as cancer. And she did it twice. A week apart.

Remember a few years when her last album came out and she was getting publicity with “Diana ross had me kicked off her tour” headline? On 3 shows that was the teaser - 50 year old news. She hadn’t mentioned it in years, now, it’s everywhhere. This is just SS/DD. Like one person on YouTube wrote, “Gladys throws more shade than a 90 year old oak tree on growth hormones.’
    What I don't understand is why does Gladys feel bitter about her tenure with Motown? Motown helped to give her and the Pips national exposure. They had hit after hit in Motown between 1967 and 1973. She was shading Marvin for YEARS until recently where she suddenly was like "he deserved his success" mentioning Grapevine, etc.

In a recent interview in the UK, she brings up how she and Aretha met. Apparently she was 14 [[Aretha) and she was 9 [[Gladys) when they met? Which is weird because Aretha and Gladys are only two years apart from each other. She seems to now put herself as having been raised in Detroit rather than Atlanta now... :/

What I don't understand is why does Gladys feel bitter about her tenure with Motown? Motown helped to give her and the Pips national exposure. They had hit after hit in Motown between 1967 and 1973. She was shading Marvin for YEARS until recently where she suddenly was like "he deserved his success" mentioning Grapevine, etc.

In a recent interview in the UK, she brings up how she and Aretha met. Apparently she was 14 [[Aretha) and she was 9 [[Gladys) when they met? Which is weird because Aretha and Gladys are only two years apart from each other. She seems to now put herself as having been raised in Detroit rather than Atlanta now... :/
    Nothing you said makes sense or is true.

Gladys Knight is considered the greatest female artist that was signed to Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Here’s the lyrics

An old lady that isn’t feeling so happy any more

https://youtu.be/hrsKJ0KUyJw
    Gladys Knight is younger than Diana Ross by several months and unlike Miss Ross, she is not suffering from depression. So you might want to rethink you dedication here........

I never heard Gladys Knight say once "I have Pancreatic Cancer" you didn't either, so why are you making all of this fuss? What more is there to discuss about it unless you have a chip on your shoulder about Gladys Knight for some reason, the greatest female artist ever on the Motown label?

Nobody cares if you hate Gladys Knight. She would be like "Who?" You're trying to make something out of nothing. The misunderstanding has been cleared up for about week now. What is there left to gossip about regarding this subject?
    Last edited by marv2; 09-07-2018 at 02:26 PM.

You ever thought to consider that Aretha may have mentioned she had breast cancer rather than pancreatic cancer to Gladys? I remember back in 2011 Aretha had everyone speculating what her illness was. I do know she was a very, very,very private person and did not want her illness to get out into the public. I don't think many knew exactly what was wrong with her until just weeks or days before her death!

Midnightman i saw that interview aswell when she was on U.K tv this week...i thought it strange that she said she lived in Detroit about 10 mins away from Aretha when they were younger and also the age difference.

Gladys Knight is younger than Diana Ross by several months and unlike Miss Ross, she is not suffering from depression. So you might want to rethink you dedication here........
    Two months older is several months? Diana was born in March and Gladys in May. Wow Marv that really is several months. Lol

Gladys and the truth are not good friends. They never have been. She’ll say anything and is a master at shade and lying.

gladys KNOWS she has a once in a millennium voice - she uses it with breathtaking accuracy and artistry. There is nothing wrong with acknowledging your greatness if you are truly great. Aretha also knew she was great and, considering her greatness, was, in her own way, kind of humble. Gladys does, however, suffer from ”it-should-have-been-ME-itis” [[like some others) at Motown when it comes to her success VS Diana and Aretha. They are bigger, more successful and decades after their last hits, still out draw and earn way more - and I believe, she’s jealous. This is why her cheap shots at Diana in her book and why, 50 years later, she is still grousing about Diana at Motown and her own “lack of support” from Berry to get headlines on TV shows. It’s not enough to say “ I have a new album” the teaser has to be “Gladys Knight tells why Diana Ross had her kicked off her tour” instead. This is why for 20 years she mocked Diana in her act and cannot let it go. This is why she felt the need to pull this stunt at Aretha’s funeral. This is why she uses the cheesy “empress Of Soul” title. I’d be embarrassed to use it even if it was given by someone else.

Gladys and the truth are not good friends. They never have been. She’ll say anything and is a master at shade and lying. Remember her fake 2009 “Farewll Tour?” LOL. So, it should come as no surprise that she intentionally misled folks into thinking she had pancreatic cancer - there is only one way to interpret “I had the same diagnosis” - TWICE!

gladys KNOWS she has a once in a millennium voice - she uses it with breathtaking accuracy and artistry. There is nothing wrong with acknowledging your greatness if you are truly great. Aretha also knew she was great and, considering her greatness, was, in her own way, kind of humble. Gladys does, however, suffer from ”it-should-have-been-ME-itis” [[like some others) at Motown when it comes to her success VS Diana and Aretha. They are bigger, more successful and decades after their last hits, still out draw and earn way more - and I believe, she’s jealous. This is why her cheap shots at Diana in her book and why, 50 years later, she is still grousing about Diana at Motown and her own “lack of support” from Berry to get headlines on TV shows. It’s not enough to say “ I have a new album” the teaser has to be “Gladys Knight tells why Diana Ross had her kicked off her tour” instead. This is why for 20 years she mocked Diana in her act and cannot let it go. This is why she felt the need to pull this stunt at Aretha’s funeral. This is why she uses the cheesy “empress Of Soul” title. I’d be embarrassed to use it even if it was given by someone else.

LOL, I like the Aretha humble in her own way. Maybe "only when it served her well".

Gladys Knight isn't acknowledged as much as other or as much as she thinks she should be; her concerts are doing significantly less well as the years progress.

I don't know why these people cannot be very happy over the success they had and let it go.

I think it has more to do with their upbringing and stuff that was foisted on them by their parents and their homelife and it leads them to display their unhappiness regularly.

Part of that might have to do with Gladys herself. In her A&E bio, she admitted that at first she didn't wanna be a famous singer and wanted to be "normal". That was mainly due to her early child stardom for the Ted Mack performances. She was always reluctant to do things. Tina Turner coaxed her into using makeup when she was in the chitlin' circuit, the Pips coaxed her into Motown [[Bubba Knight admitting that Gladys "can be as stubborn as she wants to be"), etc.

Very humble but also very insecure.
    Last edited by midnightman; 09-07-2018 at 09:06 PM.

LOL, I like the Aretha humble in her own way. Maybe "only when it served her well".

Gladys Knight isn't acknowledged as much as other or as much as she thinks she should be; her concerts are doing significantly less well as the years progress.

I don't know why these people cannot be very happy over the success they had and let it go.

I think it has more to do with their upbringing and stuff that was foisted on them by their parents and their homelife and it leads them to display their unhappiness regularly.
    Yes, I hadn’t thought of that but maybe that’s how they got attention at home as kids - by whining and complaining and bemoaning “that’s not fair!” Honestly, BG did eberything for her and all she could do complain. Before they went to Motown, they were a premiere, but struggling R&B act. I never saw them pre-Motown, but my buds who gave said they were great then and The Pips’ moves were the best in the business. Motown got them into while folk’s homes and venues like The Copa - yet they could still play The HowZrd and The Apollo. There’s thousands of singers who would have killed for the shitty records like Grapevine, If I Were Your Woman and Neither One Of Us and never griped for their first Grammy and “gold” records. Yeah, she got it tough.

That's what tickles me. Gladys Knight & the Pips were, like, the second most successful act of Motown after The Temptations during their entire tenure [[yes they surpassed that other group which we will not name) and most oldies stations still play their Motown hits but she acts like she was treated like a second class citizen there. I seriously doubt that now. MOST of Motown's older acts were considered old retreads of the past [[Marvelettes, MR&TV's, the Miracles despite scoring a hit or two, etc.) by the time the Pips began scoring hits in 1967. Not only that, after scoring a flop the first time around and having the Andantes sing over the Pips, they were able to get carte blanche by having them and them only doing the vocals and they produced themselves. They surely had more freedom than the other Motown acts who had to beg Berry to let them produce themselves [[while Marvin fought him) and they weren't allowed to. AND when Motown tried suing them after they left, they won their lawsuit [[over Midnight Train to Georgia) and successfully sued them to continue to get back royalties [[late '70s; which is why along with the Buddah situation, they were in limbo).

What's there to be mad about, Gladys?

That's what tickles me. Gladys Knight & the Pips were, like, the second most successful act of Motown after The Temptations during their entire tenure [[yes they surpassed that other group which we will not name) and most oldies stations still play their Motown hits but she acts like she was treated like a second class citizen there. I seriously doubt that now. MOST of Motown's older acts were considered old retreads of the past [[Marvelettes, MR&TV's, the Miracles despite scoring a hit or two, etc.) by the time the Pips began scoring hits in 1967. Not only that, after scoring a flop the first time around and having the Andantes sing over the Pips, they were able to get carte blanche by having them and them only doing the vocals and they produced themselves. They surely had more freedom than the other Motown acts who had to beg Berry to let them produce themselves [[while Marvin fought him) and they weren't allowed to. AND when Motown tried suing them after they left, they won their lawsuit [[over Midnight Train to Georgia) and successfully sued them to continue to get back royalties [[late '70s; which is why along with the Buddah situation, they were in limbo).

What's there to be mad about, Gladys?
    Maybe because Diana Ross had them kicked off a tour because they were doing better than the Supremes with audiences........

Sounds like Diane was suffering from insecurity.
    Last edited by marv2; 09-08-2018 at 12:16 AM.

Maybe because Diana Ross had them kicked off a tour because they were doing better than the Supremes with audiences........

Sounds like Diane was suffering from insecurity.
    And how many freaking years ago was that? I love Gladys Knight but she really needs to let this go. It's not healthy!

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    And how many freaking years ago was that? I love Gladys Knight but she really needs to let this go. It's not healthy!
    That's what I tell Diane all the time when it comes to "Dreamgirl, My Life As A Supreme", but nooooooo ......hehehehehehehehehe!

That's what I tell Diane all the time when it comes to "Dreamgirl, My Life As A Supreme", but nooooooo ......hehehehehehehehehe!
    Marv. You make no sense. When have you ever heard Diana talk and complain about that fictional book? She hardly ever even mentions Mary Wilson when she is being interviewed.
    But on the other hand has Mary ever not talked about Diana in any interview? I don't think so!! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Marv. You make no sense. When have you ever heard Diana talk and complain about that fictional book? She hardly ever even mentions Mary Wilson when she is being interviewed.
    But on the other hand has Mary ever not talked about Diana in any interview? I don't think so!! Lol
    There is a reason why Diane never says anything about it in public! LOL!

Plain and simple, being a singing star or movie star doesn’t make you smart

This is why there’s a string of bankruptcies, attempts to attract attention, troubled children, teenage pregnancies, hook ups with crazy and abusive husbands and managers

Diana Ross is smart enough to hold her tongue-something Gladys Aretha Mary Mar -never learned

Plain and simple, being a singing star or movie star doesn’t make you smart

This is why there’s a string of bankruptcies, attempts to attract attention, troubled children, teenage pregnancies, hook ups with crazy and abusive husbands and managers

Diana Ross is smart enough to hold her tongue-something Gladys Aretha Mary Mar -never learned
    Yet, she was not smart enough not to get drunk by twice the State of Arizona limit and get behind the wheel of a car.....................

No, but she was smart enough to build a career, raise 5 successful children, not blow her life savings on cocaine based stooopid lawsuits and sing on top of slot machines in a fourth rate Arizona casino .........we can all play this game

No, but she was smart enough to build a career, raise 5 successful children, not blow her life savings on cocaine based stooopid lawsuits and sing on top of slot machines in a fourth rate Arizona casino .........we can all play this game
    But she just couldn't keep from going into rehab several times, assaulting airport and restaurant personnel and ramming a little girl into a glass door that was just asking for an autograph. Tisk, tisk. LOL!
    Last edited by marv2; 09-08-2018 at 07:00 PM.