[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Really none of this was about Diane Ross. It's not like she and Aretha were friends or relatives. The people that were there were enough. No one was looking for Miss Ross as far as I could tell. I think some were missing Barack and Michelle Obama, but he attended John McCain's funeral and sent a personal message to Aretha's. I wasn't expecting the Pope either, so I wasn't looking for him.
    Aretha and Diana were, in fact, friends. Maybe not close, but I have pics of Aretha at 3 different Ross concerts in Detroit plus she attended one 70’s show in LA as she was mentioned as one of the celebs In The audience.

I've never seen Aretha ever say anything criticizing Diana. She had tons to say about Gladys, Dionne, Tina, hell even Martha at one point, nothing about Diana. Speaks volumes.

Midnight I get what you are saying and anyone who knew Aretha and Diana understand completely. If I remember correctly I think Carolyn and Diana went to the same grade school and High school. I posted a pic of Diana and Aretha yesterday but it seems to have been deleted for some reason.

Diana has hosted Aretha at her Connecticut estate. No bad blood between them.

Thanks Sansradio

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Thanks Sansradio
    No worries.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I've never seen Aretha ever say anything criticizing Diana. She had tons to say about Gladys, Dionne, Tina, hell even Martha at one point, nothing about Diana. Speaks volumes.
    So true and you can add Natalie Cole to that list. But Aretha always spoke highly of Diana Ross and her talent.

In an interview with Babyface, Aretha also mentioned how she liked reading SECRETS OF A SPARROW and seeing Diana as a mother.

Midnight I get what you are saying and anyone who knew Aretha and Diana understand completely. If I remember correctly I think Carolyn and Diana went to the same grade school and High school. I posted a pic of Diana and Aretha yesterday but it seems to have been deleted for some reason.
    Yeah I did read they both attended Cass Technical together. It's funny how all these Detroit legends knew each other like that. A big city but it feels small, especially with all the music legends that came from there.

I can't think of any of her legendary diva peers saying anything negative about Diana's voice. I believe it was Gladys who wrote that Diana may not have been the best singer in the Supremes, but if I recall correctly it was followed by a compliment regarding the work Diana put into it. An opinion that Diana wasn't the "best" singer in the group [[whatever that means) is in no way saying something bad about her voice. Now had she wrote "the bitch couldn't even sing, not like the other girls in the group", that would've been something else. But even in writing about personality conflicts and diva shenanigans, neither Martha nor Patti took potshots at Diana's vocals, when they could've easily done so. I think that says a lot about how much respect Diana's voice is given, even if she's not always personally liked. And for the Queen of Soul and Shade to not come for your voice when you're a rival, that says a lot!! LOL

Yeah I did read they both attended Cass Technical together. It's funny how all these Detroit legends knew each other like that. A big city but it feels small, especially with all the music legends that came from there.
    No she didn't. Aretha went to Northern High School the same school the members of the Four Tops attended.

Captain there was an outage for the site yesterday that apparently deleted most if not all of the posts made on 9/3 and some on 9/4. So if you could repost the pic we'd appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    No she didn't. Aretha went to Northern High School the same school the members of the Four Tops attended.
    CAROLYN. Not Aretha. We know Aretha went to a different school. We're talking about Carolyn.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I can't think of any of her legendary diva peers saying anything negative about Diana's voice. I believe it was Gladys who wrote that Diana may not have been the best singer in the Supremes, but if I recall correctly it was followed by a compliment regarding the work Diana put into it...even in writing about personality conflicts and diva shenanigans, neither Martha nor Patti took potshots at Diana's vocals, when they could've easily done so. I think that says a lot about how much respect Diana's voice is given, even if she's not always personally liked.
    You speak the truth, RanRan! I think her "diva peers" all have great respect for Diana Ross the Entertainer. I believe the honest and secure ones would acknowledge her distinct talents and voice as a singer.
    An opinion that Diana wasn't the "best" singer in the group [[whatever that means) is in no way saying something bad about her voice. Now had she wrote "the bitch couldn't even sing, not like the other girls in the group", that would've been something else.
    LOL. "Whatever that means" is that it is one person's opinion.
    This person, a lifelong Motown fan, thinks Diana Ross has proven to be the "best" singer in the group.
    And for the Queen of Soul and Shade to not come for your voice when you're a rival, that says a lot!! LOL
    Just from this Forum, this thread, I've learned much about the relationship between Aretha Franklin and Diana Ross. [[I'm just glad Queen Ree didn't say Diana just had "beautiful gowns!")

CAROLYN. Not Aretha. We know Aretha went to a different school. We're talking about Carolyn.
    Look! Aretha went to Northern High School and dropped out at the 10th Grade. Whoever this "we know......" is? They are wrong! One of my cousins went to Northern H.S. too.

No they didn't! Diana Ross went to Balch Elementary School. Mary Wilson and Carolyn Franklin went to Algiers Elementary School together.
    Last edited by marv2; 09-07-2018 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    You speak the truth, RanRan! I think her "diva peers" all have great respect for Diana Ross the Entertainer. I believe the honest and secure ones would acknowledge her distinct talents and voice as a singer.
    Agreed. The non hatin' ones would acknowledge that. Lol

LOL. "Whatever that means" is that it is one person's opinion. This person, a lifelong Motown fan, thinks Diana Ross has proven to be the "best" singer in the group.
    Hey, that's the beauty of it all, everyone has an opinion. Even though Ross is tied with Aretha as my all time favorite female vocalist, Diana is tied with Florence and Jean as my favorite Supreme voices. Personally, of the original trio, I don't think any one woman was a "better" singer than the others. They each had strengths and weaknesses. The difference was one of them [[Diana) got the support to cultivate and grow in her artistry, while the other two [[Flo and Mary) weren't given that chance, and of the other two [[Flo and Mary), only one would eventually grow in her craft [[Mary). Ultimately Diana proved to be top diva and she has the career, accolades and status to show for it. Say what you will, but if the public didn't love Diana's voice, there never would've been twelve number one hits.

[[I'm just glad Queen Ree didn't say Diana just had "beautiful gowns!")
    I know right!! LOL On Motown 40 the Queen shares that one of her favorite Motown memories is going to the Apollo and seeing the Supremes. She thought the lead singer had a certain something that was likable. When you're aware of the kind of shade that the Queen of Soul and Shade can throw, you know that's high praise indeed!

Hey, that's the beauty of it all, everyone has an opinion. Even though Ross is tied with Aretha as my all time favorite female vocalist, Diana is tied with Florence and Jean as my favorite Supreme voices. Personally, of the original trio, I don't think any one woman was a "better" singer than the others. They each had strengths and weaknesses. The difference was one of them [[Diana) got the support to cultivate and grow in her artistry, while the other two [[Flo and Mary) weren't given that chance, and of the other two [[Flo and Mary), only one would eventually grow in her craft [[Mary). Ultimately Diana proved to be top diva and she has the career, accolades and status to show for it. Say what you will, but if the public didn't love Diana's voice, there never would've been twelve number one hits.
    IMHO, I don't know why Diana was chosen to sing lead on most of the early recordings. She has one of the most distinctive and instantly recognizable voices in Pop music history today, but in those early records, her voice is "unusual", at best, and "almost unlistenable" at worst. My favorite early "no-hit" Supremes lead vocal is by Mary Wilson on "The Tears". My other favorites are Diana on "Your Heart Belongs To Me", Florence on "Buttered Popcorn" and Mary on "Baby, Don't Go". The others I chalk off to youthful inexperience, need for training and growth, and an ongoing search for direction and a "sound". I do like a lot of what was I believe planned for Supremes Sing Ballads & Blues, the recordings that were included on disc 2 of the expanded Where Did our Love Go.
    [[I'm just glad Queen Ree didn't say Diana just had "beautiful gowns!")
    Lol. I was "shading" Aretha's "shade" on Taylor Swift, in case you didn't know.

In the 70’s, Rolling Stone Magazine said that a whole album was done in this slightly nasty, Marvelettes style - referring to Meet the Supremes; it went on to say the album was probably now regarded as an unfortunate part of the past, much like once being a whore

But history showed the album would get an expanded edition - and had some hidden gems in it that foreshadowed where Diana’s voice would go and where it would take the Supremes

IMHO, I don't know why Diana was chosen to sing lead on most of the early recordings. She has one of the most distinctive and instantly recognizable voices in Pop music history today, but in those early records, her voice is "unusual", at best, and "almost unlistenable" at worst. My favorite early "no-hit" Supremes lead vocal is by Mary Wilson on "The Tears". My other favorites are Diana on "Your Heart Belongs To Me", Florence on "Buttered Popcorn" and Mary on "Baby, Don't Go". The others I chalk off to youthful inexperience, need for training and growth, and an ongoing search for direction and a "sound". I do like a lot of what was I believe planned for Supremes Sing Ballads & Blues, the recordings that were included on disc 2 of the expanded Where Did our Love Go.
    I think she was chosen because Gordy recognized how distinctive her voice was. I don't buy into the opinions presented as fact around here regarding commercial voices and all of that. 90 percent of a recording act becoming a success IMO can mostly be chalked up to luck, voices be damned. However, I do believe that certain tangibles, like a distinctive voice, can help you get an advantage. The Supremes had an advantage with Diana, but on the flip were a bit disadvantage because of the singles chosen. IMO of the pre "Lovelight" singles, only "Buttered Popcorn" and "Right Way" were really radio friendly. [[Previously I would've added "A Breath Taking Guy" to the list, but I've come to join the opinion that by the time of it's release "Breath" was kind of old hat. Now had it been released in the early part of 1963 it might have stood a chance.) Why tunes like "Those DJ Shows" and "The Tears" [[the latter I think could have used a better mix) were left in the vault, I don't know. But Diana's nasalness could grate on some folks nerves, but I really don't think there was any denying that the girl had a gift and I think Gordy tapped into that very quickly.

I like much of the Barbara era cuts, but I think the girls really shined once they became a trio and their harmony became tighter. A lot of the possible Ballads and Blues material is among my favorite Supremes stuff period.

Lol. I was "shading" Aretha's "shade" on Taylor Swift, in case you didn't know.
    Yeah, I knew what you were referencing. Lol

I think she was chosen because Gordy recognized how distinctive her voice was. I don't buy into the opinions presented as fact around here regarding commercial voices and all of that. 90 percent of a recording act becoming a success IMO can mostly be chalked up to luck, voices be damned. However, I do believe that certain tangibles, like a distinctive voice, can help you get an advantage. The Supremes had an advantage with Diana, but on the flip were a bit disadvantage because of the singles chosen. IMO of the pre "Lovelight" singles, only "Buttered Popcorn" and "Right Way" were really radio friendly. [[Previously I would've added "A Breath Taking Guy" to the list, but I've come to join the opinion that by the time of it's release "Breath" was kind of old hat. Now had it been released in the early part of 1963 it might have stood a chance.) Why tunes like "Those DJ Shows" and "The Tears" [[the latter I think could have used a better mix) were left in the vault, I don't know. But Diana's nasalness could grate on some folks nerves, but I really don't think there was any denying that the girl had a gift and I think Gordy tapped into that very quickly.

I like much of the Barbara era cuts, but I think the girls really shined once they became a trio and their harmony became tighter. A lot of the possible Ballads and Blues material is among my favorite Supremes stuff period.
    I agree "Buttered Popcorn" was radio-friendly and maybe could have been their first charted single, except for the risqué [[for its time) lyrics. It's been noted that "Let Me Go The Right Way" was similar in sound and style to the Four Seasons' songs from the same time, which were huge hits. You're right about "Breath-Taking Guy" being behind the curve.
    "Those DJ Shows" should not have been vaulted. It's a good song by Smokey, and more interesting and exciting, even if Diana's high-register vocals are a little off-putting [[to me).
    I would love to hear a remixed "The Tears". What if this had been released and charted and the Supremes history and trajectory changed? It's my favorite early Supremes vocal but I think it was probably already dated for its time [[too Fifties).
    Ballads & Blues might have been a better, more impressive debut album.