[REMOVE ADS]

Strictly Come Dancing - Two Can Have A Party

I've just seen a BBC 1 trailer for the new series of Strictly Come Dancing. It features Marvin and Tammi's Two Can Have A Party. This wonderfully happy song always gets my feet tapping

A great choice by the BBC!

https://youtu.be/hj6A0VfA44k

https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/artic...s-feet/1491171

I would have thought Dancing Shoes would have been more apt.

John, how could that be better than Marvin and Tammi

Joking aside, I looked at the iTunes store earlier today and noticed that Two Can Have A Party on the double United/You're All I Need album has a maximum "Popularity" rating. I'm wondering if the Strictly Come Dancing trailer has pushed up sales of this song. Wouldn't a chart entry be great, I think charts now take account of downloads?
    Last edited by rovereab; 08-29-2018 at 03:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    John, how could that be better than Marvin and Tammi

Joking aside, I looked at the iTunes store earlier today and noticed that Two Can Have A Party on the double United/You're All I Need album has a maximum "Popularity" rating. I'm wonder if the Strictly Come Dancing trailer has pushed up sales of this song. Wouldn't a chart entry be great, I think charts now take account of downloads?
    One thing is for sure, us oldies sure had the best music!

Spot on John. I'm pleased that this trailer has the potential to introduce classic Motown to the younger generation.

We are probably starting to sound like our Dad's - I can still remember my Dad's reaction to Tubular Bells! It wasn't from a positive angle

Spot on John. I'm pleased that this trailer has the potential to introduce classic Motown to the younger generation.

We are probably starting to sound like our Dad's - I can still remember my Dad's reaction to Tubular Bells! It wasn't from a positive angle
    lol I remember when the Rolling Stones on totp and my folks calling them dirty lousy *!*&%*..they wont last long! LOL Of course they lasted longer than most.

Fabulous track and wonderful to see it getting some mainstream airing...

I've just seen a BBC 1 trailer for the new series of Strictly Come Dancing. It features Marvin and Tammi's Two Can Have A Party. This wonderfully happy song always gets my feet tapping

A great choice by the BBC!
    Indeed it was Eamonn.

It really is a cracking track, and one of a bunch of classics tracks from the Fuqua/Bristol/Kemp/team, and indeed, that period of Motown history!

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by bradburger; 09-11-2018 at 12:52 AM.

Hearing it on the advert brings it home just how good the song is. In the wealth of Motown music even stand out tunes can get a little lost but when it's in your face like that you can only marvel at just what a great record it was - and relegated to a b-side at that!

The power of TV.
    I was waiting to 'feed' a jukebox in a remote Scottish pub on Saturday.
    The person in front of me was searching for TCHAP. Sadly, it was not included in the MG & TT selection of about 5 tracks.
    Also a letter in Radio Times from a person who I suspect might not be a soul fan was asking "who wrote the music".
    Rather suggests what 'charts' are all about.
    Last edited by snakepit; 09-11-2018 at 01:39 PM.

I just wish there was a way to have this song re-released on the back of the exposure afforded by the Strictly trailer. It would be so good to see this song in the charts and it could pave the way for a "Strictly Marvin and Tammi" collection being released.

I can dream......

Well..some great dance tracks on YAINTGB LP.

Tony Blackburn played it in full on "Sounds of the 60s" this week.

Good old Timmy Bannockburn, he always did champion Motown!

Two Can Have A Party [[Harvey Fuqua-John Bristol-Thomas Kemp) published Jobete 01-Sep-66
    Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell; recorded Hitsville-GW, completed 04-Feb-67 ; produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    unreleased; 45 [[M): Tamla T 54161 A [released on Tamla 54169]
    29-Aug-67; LP [[S): Tamla S277 United
    29-Aug-67; LP [[M): Tamla T277 United
    09-Jul-68; 45 [[M): Tamla T 54169 B [scheduled for Tamla 54161]
    Jun-87; CD: Motown MCDO 9053 MD Marvin Gaye & His Women
    20-Nov-01; CD [[S): Motown 016 402 2 The Complete Duets
    01-May-06; CD [[S): Reader's Digest RDCD 5161-3 The Ultimate Motown Collection - Soul Mates
    25-May-07; CD [[M): Hip-O Select B0008993-02 The Complete Motown Singles Vol. 7 1967
    07-Dec-09; CD [[S): Motown 00753 22709 A Complete Introduction To Tamla Motown [UK]
    Tammi Terrell; recorded Hitsville, completed 30-Mar-66 ; produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    23-Mar-98; CD [[M): Debutante 530 814 2 This Is Northern Soul! Volume 2 [UK]
    16-Jul-01; CD [[M): Spectrum 544 491 2 The Essential Collection [UK]
    20-Nov-01; CD [[M): Motown 016 402 2 The Complete Duets
    02-May-05; CD [[M): Motown 067 024 2 This Is Northern Soul! The Motown Sound Volume 1 [UK]
    01-Oct-10; CD [[S): Hip-O Select B0014792-02 Come On And See Me: The Complete Solo Collection [previously unreleased stereo version]

The duet [[ presumably a cut and paste job) was nearly a year after Tammi's original solo cut.

Just noticed the solo cut was recorded at Hitsville.
    The duet was Hitsville-GW. This suggests that the solo was recorded before Motown acquired GW, and Marvin's vocal was added on in the new studio.

I wonder if "unreleased; 45 [[M): Tamla T 54161 A " means that it was planned to be the A-side of a single?

I'd doubt it as Tammi's solos were released on Motown but it is possible.
    I wonder how many TT solo tracks were intended as just that. At what point did Motown decide to put the two together, and record MG over her solo efforts.
    Did TT record a full song with the intention of MG being dubbed in,as a duet all along.
    Last edited by snakepit; 09-13-2018 at 04:52 AM.

I wonder if "unreleased; 45 [[M): Tamla T 54161 A " means that it was planned to be the A-side of a single?
    I'm sure you're right in saying this song may have originally planned to be released on Tamla T 54161, released on Nov. 14 1967, as "If I Could Build My Whole World Around You" / "If This World Were Mine".

Tammi cut her solo version in March 1966, so since the duet version was cut in Feb. '67 it would seem that Marvin's vocals were dubbed onto Tammi's original solo track.

However, it's interesting to note that DFTMC indicates that "Two Can Have A Party" was intended as the "B" side of "If I Could Build My Whole World Around You" rather than being the "A" side. Presumably Quality Control decided that "If I Could Build My Whole World Around You" and "If This World Were Mine" were both commercially stronger songs and therefore dropped "Two Can Have A Party" completely from the single.

The duet version was retained and included on the forthcoming duet album "United". Tammi's original solo version wasn't included on her delayed album "Irresistible", but can be heard on her "Come On And See Me, Complete Solo Collection CD" [[Disc 2 track 13).

I'm a bit surprised that, with the UK's liking for the upbeat Motown songs in the mid to late 60s, the song was not released as an A-side here. To my ears it has "major hit" written all over it.

It needs releasing now!

Sure it would have been a moderate hit at least.
    TCHAP was a regular play in discos around my area...my local disco certainly. I guess that the rest of the UK clubs played it as well.

Well it was certainly played in the clubs here in Norwich [[U.K)...I remember my crowd waiting for the Northern Soul/Motown dj to get up and play his set and this one was always included...oh the memories.

Living in Manchester, it is no surprise that a lot of Twisted Wheel records found their way onto the decks of my local disco.
    Records like TCHAP , Funky Street, Higher and Higher, Shake a tail feather, and many others [[ including Motown) were regular plays in UK clubs. These were probably played at the Wheel upon release, but due to the nature of the scene, they would have been regarded as too commercial after a while.
    My club clearly had a feed from the Wheel and rarer discs were played alongside TCHAP etc.
    Happy days.