[REMOVE ADS]

Aretha Franklin Offered to Pay the Bail for Angela Davis!

I remember this well. It was part of Aretha's commitment to the civil rights movement. I also remember Aretha saying that "I'll see Angela Davis free if there's any justice in the courts".

Yes, Miss Franklin was a devoted civil and human rights warrior. Much like Harry Belafonte, she spent lots of money for the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, providing bail money for Dr. King and others. Her commitment stemmed from her father's instrumentality in the movement. We've lost a serious cog in the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Yes, Miss Franklin was a devoted civil and human rights warrior. Much like Harry Belafonte, she spent lots of money for the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, providing bail money for Dr. King and others. Her commitment stemmed from her father's instrumentality in the movement. We've lost a serious cog in the wheel.
    She also did a lot locally and privately in Detroit. I remember some years back a family died in a house fire. The father survived but could not afford to bury his 3 or 4 children that died in the fire. Aretha paid for all of the funeral expenses for those kids.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    She also did a lot locally and privately in Detroit. I remember some years back a family died in a house fire. The father survived but could not afford to bury his 3 or 4 children that died in the fire. Aretha paid for all of the funeral expenses for those kids.
    Wow. God bless her. And she didn't do things like this for glory, either.

Wow. God bless her. And she didn't do things like this for glory, either.
    Here's another thing I bet you did not hear about. Just a couple of years ago, Aretha went up to Flint, Michigan and put a number of families up in hotels ,fed them and made sure they had clean water for use. This never made the news except in Detroit. There have been times where she paid to feed a whole neighborhood in Detroit.
    Last edited by marv2; 08-24-2018 at 03:52 PM.

Exactly! Very much like Harry Belafonte! Black celebrities that came to prominence in the 50s,60s and 70s were far more socially conscious than those of today
    [[not including the exceptions like Lebron James). In was ingrained in them and they would continue to contribute to their communities and society at large. I don't want to pick on Hi Hop artists,but when was the last time you heard about a group of them getting together to raise major money for charity or medical research? They make far more money now than their predecessors did.

Here's another thing I bet you did not hear about. Just a couple of years ago, Aretha went up to Flint, Michigan and put a number of families up in hotels ,fed them and made sure they had clean water for use. This never made the news except in Detroit. There have been times where she paid to feed a whole neighborhood in Detroit.
    No, I hadn’t heard. Not surprised at all. The lady never forgot that she was part of a larger whole. More heart than she gets credit for.

I've read this years ago. I'd like to believe it, but ... I'm an Arethaholic and there's nobody alive who loved/loves the lady more than I, but ... Aretha said lots o' stuff. Just sayin'. At the end of the day Aretha did not pay up. Just sayin'. After all, Aretha almost opened a nightclub, Hillary Clinton was almost president, Michael Jackson almost outsold the Eagles, Supremes other that Diana Ross were almost successful, djt was almost held in check by a cautious GOP ... and I almost won a multimillion $ lottery. Just sayin'.
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 08-24-2018 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I've read this years ago. I'd like to believe it, but ... I'm an Arethaholic and there's nobody alive who loved/loves the lady more than I, but ... Aretha said lots o' stuff. Just sayin'. At the end of the day Aretha did not pay up. Just sayin'. After all, Aretha almost opened a nightclub, Hillary Clinton was almost president, Michael Jackson almost outsold the Eagles, Supremes other that Diana Ross were almost successful, djt was almost held in check by a cautious GOP ... and I almost won a multimillion $ lottery. Just sayin'.
    I am saying that nothing you wrote makes sense at all. Most notably out of one side of your face your profess to love Aretha Franklin and then out of the other side, the true side of your face you disrespect her as being all talk and no action. I know that is a lie.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I am saying that nothing you wrote makes sense at all. Most notably out of one side of your face your profess to love Aretha Franklin and then out of the other side, the true side of your face you disrespect her as being all talk and no action. I know that is a lie.

Apparently Aretha was diagnosed in 2010 and she was still helping others in her last few years!

Exactly! Very much like Harry Belafonte! Black celebrities that came to prominence in the 50s,60s and 70s were far more socially conscious than those of today
    [[not including the exceptions like Lebron James). In was ingrained in them and they would continue to contribute to their communities and society at large. I don't want to pick on Hi Hop artists,but when was the last time you heard about a group of them getting together to raise major money for charity or medical research? They make far more money now than their predecessors did.

You are totally right Marv2. However, I'd like to mention Big Sean has given back to Detroit's youth, with supplies and scholarships. He's not in a Hip Hop group, but I respect what he's doing individually.

I can't help but believe this was another of Lady Soul's aspirational news-plants with Jet mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    You are totally right Marv2. However, I'd like to mention Big Sean has given back to Detroit's youth, with supplies and scholarships. He's not in a Hip Hop group, but I respect what he's doing individually.
    Yes he has and I am so proud of Big Sean that he has the heart to do what he's done. He has not had a long, long successful career yet and yet he has given back to the community he came from.

Agree Marv. It was just a matter of time. Certainly disrespectful at the least. God forbid if a comment like that was made if Ross died; I am sure the nasty comments would be launched.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Agree Marv. It was just a matter of time. Certainly disrespectful at the least. God forbid if a comment like that was made if Ross died; I am sure the nasty comments would be launched.
    There are no "ifs". Diana Ross will die. Let's just hope that the more intelligent people will not disrespect her memory at that time unlike what this guy PeaceNHarmony seems to want to do to our great Queen Aretha Franklin at this of all times.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Apparently Aretha was diagnosed in 2010 and she was still helping others in her last few years!
    Aretha knew that what she was doing is what God wants us to do........help someone else! By doing that, you are doing the Lord's work. Not everyone can deliver a powerful sermon or sing the roof off of a church. Everyone can help some one else just using the capabilities that they have.