[REMOVE ADS]

If Tammi Terrell had lived...

If Tammi Terrell had lived and she and Marvin Gaye had continued to record duets, what songs could you see/hear them doing and tearing it up? Songs don't have to have been originally a duet.

My choices so far:

You Don't Have to Be a Star to Be in My Show [[Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis, Jr.)

Ain't Understanding Mellow [[Jerry Butler and Brenda Lee Eager)

The Love We Had [[Stays on My Mind) - [[The Dells)

If Tammi had lived and stayed with Motown along with Marvin Gaye I can envision more Ashford and Simpson songs in their repertoire such as;

Solid [[Ashford and Simpson)
    Found A Cure [[Ashford and Simpson)
    Just Say Just Say [[Diana Ross and Marvin Gaye)

One song that I hear them singing very easily in my mind is Marvin's solo Sweet Thing. Seeing how they interplay in the Exhibition video of Ain't No Mountain High Enough I can even see them singing this, especially the glare from Tammi when Marvin would sing "Oh, you're not the kind of girl. To win a beauty prize" LOL. If only they had recorded this song together

Marvin singing:

Oh, you don't always say the words
    I wanna hear, no Tammi
    But To me you're really saying
    Something dear
    Oh, you're not the kind of girl
    To win a beauty prize
    Just your smile, girl, lets me know
    Where your beauty lies
    Makes me realize
    You're a sweet thing
    You're a sweet thing

Tammi singing:

Marvin, listen, honey
    You can't seem to do the things
    I ask you to
    Oh, but I can't help but love
    The way you do the things you do
    No, you're not the kind of boy
    That girls just can't resist
    There's a certain somethin' in your kiss
    Oh, makes me wanna sing
    You're a sweet thing
    You are a sweet thing
    Baby, ohh baby
    Yeah yeah, you're a sweet thing
    You are a sweet thing, baby

Marvin and Tammi singing together with some sentences from each of them to suit the lyrics:

There may be a lot of things
    You'll never be
    Oh, but the little things you are
    They mean everything to me
    So love, don't ever try and be
    All mankind's ideal
    Just stay the way you are
    Right now, girl
    Truthful and for real
    You've got your appeal
    Ohh, you're a sweet thing
    Honey, you are a sweet thing
    Baby, sweeter than wine
    That's why I'm glad you're mine
    Baby, sweeter than a rose
    So now my love just grows and grows

I also think that Tammi would have become a major star in her own right, she had it all. Perhaps duet albums might not have been popular going forward but a duet on Marvin's albums would have been rather nice! Just imagine the two of them duetting on You Sure Love To Ball and After The Dance. I'm thinking guest appearance on the albums. Perhaps Marvin could have guested on Tammi's albums too?
    Last edited by rovereab; 08-21-2018 at 10:52 AM.

I’m not sure about duets, but Marvin could have produced a stellar album of solo material for Tammi!

But what I can really see Tammi doing is returning back to her native Philadelphia [[possibly leaving Motown in the process) and teaming up with Thom Bell & Linda Creed. Imagine her taking on “Free Girl” , “Betcha by Golly Wow”, “Ghetto Child” or “Love Comes Easy”, or songs Bell & Creed could of come up with. The thought of that alone makes her untimely death more tragic!
    Last edited by jboy88; 08-22-2018 at 10:39 AM.

although it wasn't the trend then [[as opposed to now) imagine if she had collaborated on What's Going On? or on Let's Get It On. if there were some vocal segments she could have contributed in a few songs, some background work

i know Berry was always keen on her voice and showmanship. But we know that doesn't necessarily translate into promotional support or hits. I think it's very likely she would have replaced Diana in the Sups, although i prefer Jean's vocals. it was a refreshing change when she joined. Tammi is too similar IMO to diana. that frankly might have been her biggest problem with a solo career too. at least Martha Reeves and Gladys Knight were completely different singers and performers. so even though they didn't get all of the label support they should have, at least they could carve a niche based on their style and singing.