[REMOVE ADS]

The Supremes' Lead Singers

I was watching the PBS show on Dionne Warwick and was struck by how much her sound and style reminded me of Jean Terrell's work as lead singer in the Supremes. It made me think of the lead singers contributions:
    Diana Ross-naturally, since most of the biggest hits had her on as lead vocalist, her sound as lead is the one that most people identify as the sound of the group. She had a distinctive sound, was very pliable in multiple genres and her look was one of demanding to look at her. She certainly does not have the strongest voice in the group but the uniqueness of her sound outweighed that.
    Florence Ballard-her voice is one that has become legend to fans. She sang loudly and had a strong voice. I am in the minority as I feel her phrasing does not sell her songs and her voice is not as distinctive as Diana Ross, Jean Terrell,Susaye Greene or even Mary Wilson. Yet, her voice is still very good and with the right soulful song, she could have done well.
    Mary Wilson-I am in the minority here as I really like her voice-be it smooth or raspy, she also has a distinctive sound even if it does not catch your ear as quickly as Diana Ross. Her phrasing was slightly better than Florence's and improved as the years have gone on. Her voice on ballads really are quite good but the group was never known for that. The public still wanted the HDH sound of the 60's as they moved into the 70's and were never allowed to grow past that. Diana Ross ,becoming solo was able to expand because she was no longer in the group so was less confined by those expectations and was able to grow and sing ballads, jazz and country tinged sounds without that expectation of what was old. Mary sings ballads beautifully and does well on jazz. Her debut with disco did not show her voice off to its best benefit, her followup songs were much better. Honestly, I don't think Motown knew what to do with her voice.
    Jean Terrell- Jean had a great voice that sounded like a cross between Dionne Warwick and Diana Ross. It acquitted itself well with songs that reminded of the groups 60's material and was easily expanding to other sounds-she was soulful, thoughtful in approach and distinctive in her sound. As she was with the group longer, some of the sound became more shrill and nasal than it had at the start, which may have lessened her appeal to the general public.
    Scherrie Payne-Scherrie seems to have never been given her due as lead. When Mary chose her, I think her voice was less distinctive than Diana or Jean but she saw the power and gusto that she had so admired in Florence. Scherrie had a much, much better ability at phrasing than Florence did and her voice was actually to my ear much better than Florence's. Her voice was not what was expected in the Supremes-it was more of what would have been had Florence been lead. Since the general public was so used to the distinctive higher leads of Diana and Jean, there was no comparison because it was so different. Her voice really fit what was going on musically at the time and I just loved her voice for its strength and phrasing. She is generally very underrated and underappreciated.
    Susaye Greene- Her wonderfully high voice with a 5 octave range really lifted the group with some high energy vocals. Her voice was distinctive but reminded you of Deniece Williams or Minnie Ripperton. She certainly helped bring a new certain sound to the group that could easily have caught the ear of the general public but, like Jean, not everyone cared for her sound.
    Amazing, just listening to the Dionne PBS special made me think of the leads in the Supremes[[no disrespect to Cindy or Lynda, who really did not sing leads in the group) and how I appreciated all of them. Each was wonderful and should be celebrated and not torn down-we all have our own personal favorites but that doesn't make one BETTER than anyone else. I appreciate their musical legacy and it is time to listen to them and celebrate their music.
    On another note, with the passing of Aretha Franklin we should be celebrating how Diana Ross, Mary Wilson, Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene are all still out there, still healthy and performing beautifully in their 70's. How lucky we are, they are still with us giving us beautful musical memories.

I like your assessment but I always thought Jean sounded more or a cross of Syreeta and Tammi with a hint of Dionne.

Great assessment! I've thought Jean sounded similar to Dionne almost from the beginning. She does sound like a cross between Dionne and Diana, which is perhaps why she was perfect as the new lead.
    I do appreciate the talents of all these women, for the same reasons you so well stated. If only Florence could still be with us and singing.

There are no three different singers than Diana Ross, Jean Terrell and Scherrie Payne. But 50 years later, comparisons are still made. Ross was influenced by Etta James and Frankie Lymon, and you hear that especially in the early recordings.

Diana sings from her nose. By far the most nasal of all Supremes singers. She developed enormously when comparing I Want A Guy to Love Child for example.

I interviewed Jean Terrell in March 1978 at length when her A&M lp was issued. She told me that Dionne Warwick had been influential to her singing style. When Dionne and the Spinners came out with Then Came You, from my radio speakers at times I could have sworn it was Jean Terrell. Many of the songs from the Touch lp show Dionne's impact on Jean. More than this, in 1974 an English lass named Polly Brown had a hit record with Up In A Puff Of Smoke. Fans like me missing Jean were certain that was Jean Terrell under an assumed name.

Scherrie Payne sings from her gut, with power and intensity. She was influenced by Aretha and other gospel greats. Early on there were times Scherrie sounded like Judy Garland when Garland was in her prime. Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene were easily the most dynamic singers of all Supremes.

Nice assessment, Jim. I learned long ago from my grandmother that “different” simply means “different” — not “better” or “worse.” All of these ladies have special [[“different”) gifts. We have been blessed to have them all in our lives.

I loved the leads Mary Wilson did with the Supremes. Her duets with Jean Terrell were really special.

^ I remember Up In A Puff Of Smoke and thought, "Wow, she sounds like Jean Terrell!" I'm glad you confirmed Dionne's influence on Jean. I, too, missed Jean after she left the Supremes.
    I still laugh about Berry Gordy asking Diana about her singing through her nose and she replied that she could do that, too. I've loved Diana's singing since Where Did Our Love Go and as she developed her singing style[[s) from Stop! to Rogers & Hart to Funny Girl to Love Child to Lady Sings the Blues to The Boss to Missing You to Every Day Is A New Day.
    Scherrie & Susaye are very impressive singers. Wish we could have heard a lot more from them.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    ^ I remember Up In A Puff Of Smoke and thought, "Wow, she sounds like Jean Terrell!" I'm glad you confirmed Dionne's influence on Jean. I, too, missed Jean after she left the Supremes.
    I still laugh about Berry Gordy asking Diana about her singing through her nose and she replied that she could do that, too. I've loved Diana's singing since Where Did Our Love Go and as she developed her singing style[[s) from Stop! to Rogers & Hart to Funny Girl to Love Child to Lady Sings the Blues to The Boss to Missing You to Every Day Is A New Day.
    Scherrie & Susaye are very impressive singers. Wish we could have heard a lot more from them.
    They were all great singers. My favorite vocals by the singers are
    diana. Love is here now your gone, going down for the third time
    mary. Floy joy a heart like mine
    flo. Hey baby. Aint that food news
    jean up the ladder to the roof, together we can make sweet music
    sherrie. Its all been said before, let my heart do the walking
    susaye. High energy, over come into my life.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    There are no three different singers than Diana Ross, Jean Terrell and Scherrie Payne. But 50 years later, comparisons are still made. Ross was influenced by Etta James and Frankie Lymon, and you hear that especially in the early recordings.

Diana sings from her nose. By far the most nasal of all Supremes singers. She developed enormously when comparing I Want A Guy to Love Child for example.

I interviewed Jean Terrell in March 1978 at length when her A&M lp was issued. She told me that Dionne Warwick had been influential to her singing style. When Dionne and the Spinners came out with Then Came You, from my radio speakers at times I could have sworn it was Jean Terrell. Many of the songs from the Touch lp show Dionne's impact on Jean. More than this, in 1974 an English lass named Polly Brown had a hit record with Up In A Puff Of Smoke. Fans like me missing Jean were certain that was Jean Terrell under an assumed name.

Scherrie Payne sings from her gut, with power and intensity. She was influenced by Aretha and other gospel greats. Early on there were times Scherrie sounded like Judy Garland when Garland was in her prime. Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene were easily the most dynamic singers of all Supremes.
    Polly Brown was indeed a very similar vocalist to Jean Terrell. She had a few hits in the UK as lead singer with Picketty Witch, and as one half of the duo Sweet Dreams. I recall their Top of the pops appearance in the mid 70's which would be very controversial now. Polly's face was darkened to make her appear black. What was that all about? Hard to think that this happened only 40+ years ago. Strange but true.

In my opinion a comparing between Jean and Dionne isnīt realistic. Because Jean was a lead singer of a group for a short period and Dionne is a legendary singer, and her voice is different. I think there is more a comparing of the voice between Whitney and her, escpecially the albums from the 80s

I hadn't noticed Polly Browns vocal similarity to Jean's until now, but I had already heard the similarities between Dionne's and Jean's.
    Gerry Shury is the fellow behind PUFF and soon Maxine Nightingale's RIGHT BACK WHERE WE ...He was one of Britains biggest disco proponents... Tina Charles , Bidddu , etc. .
    Coincidentally[[?), two of his songs were chosen by Dionne and Jean for inclusion on their albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I hadn't noticed Polly Browns vocal similarity to Jean's until now, but I had already heard the similarities between Dionne's and Jean's.
    Gerry Shury is the fellow behind PUFF and soon Maxine Nightingale's RIGHT BACK WHERE WE ...He was one of Britains biggest disco proponents... Tina Charles , Bidddu , etc. .
    Coincidentally[[?), two of his songs were chosen by Dionne and Jean for inclusion on their albums.
    I noticed a similarity to Mary Wilson's voice. Jackie Moore, Dorothy Moore and Candi Stanton.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post

perfect assessment

and frankly i think each singer was perfect for each era of the group's history. Diana is an amazing pop singer and those 60s Sup hits are pop perfection

Jean's added soulfulness helped evolve the groups sound as the "Black Is Beautiful" movement came about. Plus her voice is angelic when produced right and perfect for songs about love, peace and god

Scherrie is a powerhouse. and with the extremely heavy productions for disco tracks, you need a mega voice to cut through all that backing and grab your ear.

Flo, Diana and Jean are my three favorite lead voices of the Supremes. To list my fav Diana and Jean leads would be too numerous, but my favorite Flo lead is probably her verse on "It Makes No Difference Now". She really should have had the whole song. My fav Mary lead is probably "A Heart Like Mine". I love that song so much, and Mary sounds fantastic. Scherrie's entire lead version of "You're What's Missing In My Life" is probably my fav from her. I never cared for Susaye's Supremes leads, but she killed New Birth's "Until It's Time For You to Go".

^ interesting Ran. fav lead per girl...

Flo - Ain't That good news. without a doubt. perfect and showed her potential. some of the other lead tracks are frankly a bit weak. maybe they weren't totally done recording them or something. but there's often intonation and phrasing issues with her songs

Diana - damn. this is hard. I gonna probably say Can't Hurry Love since it's my fav song. But Love Child is another. her delivery in Reflections is amazing. on and on and on lol

Jean - fav song is probably a tie with Ladder and Stone. but love her vocal work on Together We Can Make Sweet [[that high note she hits in the intro), Then I met you is sublime, her soulful vocal gymnastics on the extended ended for Gotta Have Love, on and on here too

Scherrie - live version of Good Old Wagon on the bootleg of the girls live in Manchester in 75.

Mary - probably Don't Let My Teardrops Bother. her ended ad libs on I Keep It Hid are marvelous. and as her lead on We Should Be Closer Together. Also i think her recently discovered lead on Christmas Song is one of her best from the 60s

Cindy - her two lead lines in Bridge Troubled water are amazing. so soft and warm. lush

Susaye - high energy

Lynda - so little material to really judge and consider unfortunately. Her lead on You're Nobody is ok. but i think my fav is probably her brief lead in Oh Happy Day during their run at the Apollo. she is going to CHURCH!! love it