[REMOVE ADS]

Dionne Warwick Saluted on Public Television, New Rarities-Packed CDs, More

https://theseconddisc.com/2018/08/an...cked-cds-more/

From the moment she burst onto the music scene in 1962 exhorting “Don’t Make Me Over,” Dionne Warwick has been a musical force with which to be reckoned. The legendary singer blended elegant pop and deeply-felt soul in a fashion which remains unrivaled today for its sophistication and polish; her signature songs like “Walk On By,” “I Say a Little Prayer,” “Alfie,” and “I’ll Never Love This Way Again” have all become cornerstones of the new American songbook. Dionne’s remarkable life and career will be saluted on a new Public Television special which begins airing nationwide in many cities tomorrow, Saturday, August 18 with additional telecasts the following week and on some stations into September. Check your local listings or go to this PBS station search link: https://www.pbs.org/tv_schedules/MY MUSIC Presents: Dionne Warwick – Then Came You traces Warwick’s history from her upbringing in East Orange, New Jersey through her breakthrough success in the 1960s as one-third of the “triangle marriage” with Burt Bacharach and Hal David, right up through her successful collaborations with Thom Bell and Barry Manilow and to the present day. A “Who’s Who” of talent have lined up to pay tribute to Warwick in this fascinating portrait of an artist and her craft, including Bacharach, Manilow, Gladys Knight, Smokey Robinson, Johnny Mathis, Richard Carpenter, Chuck Jackson and Steve Tyrell. Warwick herself is featured in brand-new interview footage, as well.
    At the heart of Then Came You is a treasure trove of rare, full-length performances by Warwick at all stages in her career, including indelible musical performances of the following classic songs:

• “Anyone Who Had A Heart”
    • “I Say A Little Prayer”
    • “Do You Know The Way To San Jose?”
    • “I’ll Never Fall In Love Again”
    • “Don’t Make Me Over”
    • “Theme From ‘Valley Of The Dolls'”
    • “Alfie”
    • “The Windows Of The World”
    • “Promises, Promises”
    • “Message To Michael”
    • “Reach Out For Me”
    • “Make It Easy On Yourself” [[with Burt Bacharach)
    • “Then Came You” [[with The Spinners)
    • “I’ll Never Love This Way Again”
    • “Heartbreaker”
    • “That’s What Friends Are For” [[with Elton John, Gladys Knight and Stevie Wonder)

DIONNE ON THE DANNY KAYE SHOW [[1965)

This one-of-a-kind special is part of the acclaimed MY MUSIC series of fundraising “pledge shows” presented by Series Creator/Executive Producer TJ Lubinsky and producers Jim Pierson and JoAnn Young. During the PBS airings, viewers will have the opportunity to purchase Then Came You on DVD – which offers an additional, all-new documentary, The Dionne Warwick Story, not seen on TV as well as extended song performances and other extras, along with a pair of exclusive, new PBS-only CD releases offering many rarities, including tracks never-before-on CD and previously unreleased masters.
    DIONNE ON THE DICK CAVETT SHOW [[1969)

The deluxe 3-CD The 1960s Singles Plus is the set for which Dionne fans have long been waiting: a complete collection featuring the A- and B-sides of every one of her classic Scepter Records singles, first released between 1962 and 1977. A total of 74 songs are featured including all of the classic original Bacharach/David productions like “I’ll Never Fall in Love Again,” “Promises, Promises,” and “Anyone Who Had A Heart,” and rare favorites like “Slaves,” “Amanda,” “He’s Moving On,” and many, many more. All of the remastered tracks are presented in their original mono single mixes, with the exception of a few later titles issued as stereo singles. Music historian Paul Grein has provided the new liner notes, and rare pictures are sprinkled throughout.
    But TJL wouldn’t leave Dionne’s career hanging! She followed up the Scepter years with further triumphs, and TJL is proud to present them on another collectors’ dream release. Hits & Rarities 1974-1999 is the first comprehensive look at this period in Warwick’s career, featuring such smashes as “Then Came You,” “I’ll Never Love This Way Again,” “Heartbreaker,” “Déjà Vu,” and “That’s What Friends Are For.” Among the rare tracks here are the duet “In Love Alone” with Richard Carpenter; the lullaby “Sail Away” recorded for a children’s album; the Bacharach/David reunion “On My Way” from the 1999 film Isn’t She Great; and the new-to-domestic CD recording of “You’d Be So Nice to Come Home To” from the Dionne Warwick Sings Cole Porter sessions. And that’s still not all. Seven previously unreleased tracks premiere on Hits & Rarities, including duets with Barry Manilow [[“Never Gonna Let You Get Away”) and Barry Gibb [[“Let It Be Me”); Manilow’s production of the Bacharach/David classic “The Last One to Be Loved”; “What Becomes of Love” from the 1981 television miniseries Jacqueline Susann’s Valley of the Dolls; two concert tracks; and the full, extended stereo version of her theme to The Love Boat. TSD’s Joe Marchese has penned the liner notes based on new interviews with Warwick and Bacharach, and it’s all been remastered at Sony’s Battery Studios.
    Additionally, the 2013 CD Dionne Warwick Sings Burt Bacharach is also being offered in conjunction with Then Came You. This splendid set was originally offered as a PBS exclusive pledge incentive for the Burt Bacharach’s Best special, and contains both Scepter label singles and album tracks with a rare Warner Bros. cut. See TSD’s original coverage here for all information on this title including the track listing!
    Check your local listings for the My Music presentation of Dionne Warwick – Then Came You on Public Television premiering this weekend in most areas. Be sure to call your local PBS station or any PBS outlet of your choice to make a donation and receive the new CDs and/or DVD or go to the link here and pledge online:
    You’ll find the track listings for both CD releases just below!

Dionne Warwick, The Complete 1960s Singles Plus [[TJL, 2018)
    CD 1

1. DON’T MAKE ME OVER
    2. I SMILED YESTERDAY
    3. THIS EMPTY PLACE
    4. WISHIN’ AND HOPIN’
    5. MAKE THE MUSIC PLAY
    6. PLEASE MAKE HIM LOVE ME
    7. ANYONE WHO HAD A HEART
    8. THE LOVE OF A BOY
    9. WALK ON BY
    10. ANY OLD TIME OF DAY
    11. YOU’LL NEVER GET TO HEAVEN [[IF YOU BREAK MY HEART)
    12. A HOUSE IS NOT A HOME
    13. REACH OUT FOR ME
    14. HOW MANY DAYS OF SADNESS
    15. YOU CAN HAVE HIM
    16. IS THERE ANOTHER WAY TO LOVE YOU
    17. WHO CAN I TURN TO
    18. DON’T SAY I DIDN’T TELL YOU SO
    19. HERE I AM
    20. THEY LONG TO BE CLOSE TO YOU
    21. LOOKING WITH MY EYES
    22. ONLY THE STRONG, ONLY THE BRAVE
    23. ARE YOU THERE [[WITH ANOTHER GIRL)
    24. IF I EVER MAKE YOU CRY
    25. MESSAGE TO MICHAEL
    26. HERE WHERE THERE IS LOVE

CD 2

1. TRAINS AND BOATS AND PLANES
    2. DON’T GO BREAKING MY HEART
    3. I JUST DON’T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH MYSELF
    4. IN BETWEEN THE HEARTACHES
    5. ANOTHER NIGHT
    6. GO WITH LOVE
    7. ALFIE
    8. THE BEGINNING OF LONELINESS
    9. THE WINDOWS OF THE WORLD
    10. WALK LITTLE DOLLY
    11. I SAY A LITTLE PRAYER
    12. [[THEME FROM) VALLEY OF THE DOLLS
    13. DO YOU KNOW THE WAY TO SAN JOSE
    14. LET ME BE LONELY
    15. WHO IS GONNA LOVE ME?
    16. [[THERE’S) ALWAYS SOMETHING THERE TO REMIND ME
    17. PROMISES, PROMISES
    18. WHOEVER YOU ARE, I LOVE YOU
    19. THIS GIRL’S IN LOVE WITH YOU
    20. DREAM SWEET DREAMER
    21. THE APRIL FOOLS
    22. SLAVES
    23. ODDS AND ENDS
    24. AS LONG AS THERE’S AN APPLE TRE

CD 3

1. YOU’VE LOST THAT LOVIN’ FEELING
    2. WINDOW WISHING
    3. I’LL NEVER FALL IN LOVE AGAIN
    4. WHAT THE WORLD NEEDS NOW IS LOVE
    5. LET ME GO TO HIM
    6. LONELINESS REMEMBERS WHAT HAPPINESS FORGETS
    7. PAPER MACHE
    8. THE WINE IS YOUNG
    9. MAKE IT EASY ON YOURSELF
    10. KNOWING WHEN TO LEAVE
    11. THE GREEN GRASS STARTS TO GROW
    12. THEY DON’T GIVE MEDALS TO YESTERDAY’S HEROES
    13. WHO GETS THE GUY
    14. WALK THE WAY YOU TALK
    15. AMANDA
    16. HE’S MOVING ON
    17. THE LOVE OF MY MAN
    18. HURTS SO BAD
    19. RAINDROPS KEEP FALLIN’ ON MY HEAD
    20. I’M YOUR PUPPET
    21. THE GOOD LIFE
    22. MEDLEY: REACH OUT & TOUCH [[SOMEBODY’S HAND)/ALL KINDS OF PEOPLE
    23. ONLY LOVE CAN BREAK A HEART
    24. IF I RULED THE WORLD

Dionne Warwick, Hits & Rarities 1974-1999 [[TJL, 2018)

1. THEN CAME YOU [[with The Spinners)
    2. I’LL NEVER LOVE THIS WAY AGAIN
    3. DÉJÀ VU
    4. NO NIGHT SO LONG
    5. FRIENDS IN LOVE [[with Johnny Mathis)
    6. HEARTBREAKER
    7. HOW MANY TIMES CAN WE SAY GOODBYE [[with Luther Vandross)
    8. THAT’S WHAT FRIENDS ARE FOR – Dionne and Friends [[Elton John, Gladys Knight & Stevie Wonder)
    9. LOVE POWER [[with Jeffrey Osborne)
    10. LOVE WILL FIND A WAY [[with Whitney Houston)
    11. SAIL AWAY
    12. THE LAST ONE TO BE LOVED [[*)
    13. NEVER GONNA LET YOU GET AWAY [[with Barry Manilow) [[*)
    14. LET IT BE ME [[with Barry Gibb) [[*)
    15. IN LOVE ALONE [[with Richard Carpenter)
    16. YOU’D BE SO NICE TO COME HOME TO [[**)
    17. WHAT BECOMES OF LOVE [[from the television miniseries Jacqueline Susann’s Valley of the Dolls) [[*)
    18. ON MY WAY [[from the motion picture Isn’t She Great)
    19. WELCOME TO MY WORLD [[Live) [[*)
    20. TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING [[Live) [[*)
    21. THE LOVE BOAT THEME [[from the television series The Love Boat) [[Complete Version) [[*)

[[*) previously unreleased
    [[**) previously unreleased on U.S. CD

I was flipping channels yesterday & came across this on PBS & loved it.I missed the first 20 min. or so but will look for it again.

It premieres in my area Tuesday night. These new releases look interesting. Might be time to make a donation to the old PBS station!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    https://theseconddisc.com/2018/08/an...cked-cds-more/

From the moment she burst onto the music scene in 1962 exhorting “Don’t Make Me Over,” Dionne Warwick has been a musical force with which to be reckoned. The legendary singer blended elegant pop and deeply-felt soul in a fashion which remains unrivaled today for its sophistication and polish; her signature songs like “Walk On By,” “I Say a Little Prayer,” “Alfie,” and “I’ll Never Love This Way Again” have all become cornerstones of the new American songbook. Dionne’s remarkable life and career will be saluted on a new Public Television special which begins airing nationwide in many cities tomorrow, Saturday, August 18 with additional telecasts the following week and on some stations into September. Check your local listings or go to this PBS station search link: https://www.pbs.org/tv_schedules/MY MUSIC Presents: Dionne Warwick – Then Came You traces Warwick’s history from her upbringing in East Orange, New Jersey through her breakthrough success in the 1960s as one-third of the “triangle marriage” with Burt Bacharach and Hal David, right up through her successful collaborations with Thom Bell and Barry Manilow and to the present day. A “Who’s Who” of talent have lined up to pay tribute to Warwick in this fascinating portrait of an artist and her craft, including Bacharach, Manilow, Gladys Knight, Smokey Robinson, Johnny Mathis, Richard Carpenter, Chuck Jackson and Steve Tyrell. Warwick herself is featured in brand-new interview footage, as well.
    At the heart of Then Came You is a treasure trove of rare, full-length performances by Warwick at all stages in her career, including indelible musical performances of the following classic songs:

• “Anyone Who Had A Heart”
    • “I Say A Little Prayer”
    • “Do You Know The Way To San Jose?”
    • “I’ll Never Fall In Love Again”
    • “Don’t Make Me Over”
    • “Theme From ‘Valley Of The Dolls'”
    • “Alfie”
    • “The Windows Of The World”
    • “Promises, Promises”
    • “Message To Michael”
    • “Reach Out For Me”
    • “Make It Easy On Yourself” [[with Burt Bacharach)
    • “Then Came You” [[with The Spinners)
    • “I’ll Never Love This Way Again”
    • “Heartbreaker”
    • “That’s What Friends Are For” [[with Elton John, Gladys Knight and Stevie Wonder)

DIONNE ON THE DANNY KAYE SHOW [[1965)

This one-of-a-kind special is part of the acclaimed MY MUSIC series of fundraising “pledge shows” presented by Series Creator/Executive Producer TJ Lubinsky and producers Jim Pierson and JoAnn Young. During the PBS airings, viewers will have the opportunity to purchase Then Came You on DVD – which offers an additional, all-new documentary, The Dionne Warwick Story, not seen on TV as well as extended song performances and other extras, along with a pair of exclusive, new PBS-only CD releases offering many rarities, including tracks never-before-on CD and previously unreleased masters.
    DIONNE ON THE DICK CAVETT SHOW [[1969)

The deluxe 3-CD The 1960s Singles Plus is the set for which Dionne fans have long been waiting: a complete collection featuring the A- and B-sides of every one of her classic Scepter Records singles, first released between 1962 and 1977. A total of 74 songs are featured including all of the classic original Bacharach/David productions like “I’ll Never Fall in Love Again,” “Promises, Promises,” and “Anyone Who Had A Heart,” and rare favorites like “Slaves,” “Amanda,” “He’s Moving On,” and many, many more. All of the remastered tracks are presented in their original mono single mixes, with the exception of a few later titles issued as stereo singles. Music historian Paul Grein has provided the new liner notes, and rare pictures are sprinkled throughout.
    But TJL wouldn’t leave Dionne’s career hanging! She followed up the Scepter years with further triumphs, and TJL is proud to present them on another collectors’ dream release. Hits & Rarities 1974-1999 is the first comprehensive look at this period in Warwick’s career, featuring such smashes as “Then Came You,” “I’ll Never Love This Way Again,” “Heartbreaker,” “Déjà Vu,” and “That’s What Friends Are For.” Among the rare tracks here are the duet “In Love Alone” with Richard Carpenter; the lullaby “Sail Away” recorded for a children’s album; the Bacharach/David reunion “On My Way” from the 1999 film Isn’t She Great; and the new-to-domestic CD recording of “You’d Be So Nice to Come Home To” from the Dionne Warwick Sings Cole Porter sessions. And that’s still not all. Seven previously unreleased tracks premiere on Hits & Rarities, including duets with Barry Manilow [[“Never Gonna Let You Get Away”) and Barry Gibb [[“Let It Be Me”); Manilow’s production of the Bacharach/David classic “The Last One to Be Loved”; “What Becomes of Love” from the 1981 television miniseries Jacqueline Susann’s Valley of the Dolls; two concert tracks; and the full, extended stereo version of her theme to The Love Boat. TSD’s Joe Marchese has penned the liner notes based on new interviews with Warwick and Bacharach, and it’s all been remastered at Sony’s Battery Studios.
    Additionally, the 2013 CD Dionne Warwick Sings Burt Bacharach is also being offered in conjunction with Then Came You. This splendid set was originally offered as a PBS exclusive pledge incentive for the Burt Bacharach’s Best special, and contains both Scepter label singles and album tracks with a rare Warner Bros. cut. See TSD’s original coverage here for all information on this title including the track listing!
    Check your local listings for the My Music presentation of Dionne Warwick – Then Came You on Public Television premiering this weekend in most areas. Be sure to call your local PBS station or any PBS outlet of your choice to make a donation and receive the new CDs and/or DVD or go to the link here and pledge online:
    You’ll find the track listings for both CD releases just below!
    Phew!! Thanks for that exhaustive post jack. It must have taken you ages to write it, but us Dionne fanatics are very grateful that you did. Very informative, and the rare tracks on the 1974-1999 make that collection an essential purchase for me. Thanks again!

Hi Buebrock,
    just copy/paste!
    Info is from The Second disc site:
    https://theseconddisc.com/
    More good sites for info on upcoming releases:
    Superdeluxeedition
    http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/
    Imwan
    http://www.imwan.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=17

It's generally not considered good form to copy & paste text wholesale from another site. The original post will likely receive much fewer clicks/traffic from this site than if, say, just the tracklist was posted here and a "More info can be found at the link: [insert web address here]".

Currently watching and I excitedly ordered my 4 CD's and DVD! Fantastic!!! Long overdue. Here's hoping there will be more of these shows in the future. Please support if you can!

Hey Smallworld: so what about all the videos from youtube that are posted here?

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Hey Smallworld: so what about all the videos from youtube that are posted here?
    A quick google search suggests that YouTube videos embedded, and viewed, on other sites will nevertheless contribute to the view count for the video as displayed on its YouTube page. Thus, the original website still receives traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    It's generally not considered good form to copy & paste text wholesale from another site. The original post will likely receive much fewer clicks/traffic from this site than if, say, just the tracklist was posted here and a "More info can be found at the link: [insert web address here]".
    Good golly. I can understand this point, but I am sure that the people behind these releases are grateful that it was even posted here in the first place. Anything not related to The Supremes that gets posted on Soulful Detroit these days is a miracle in itself.

Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    A quick google search suggests that YouTube videos embedded, and viewed, on other sites will nevertheless contribute to the view count for the video as displayed on its YouTube page. Thus, the original website still receives traffic.
    For the record, the link to the seconddisc.com site appears at the very top of Jack020's post. I appreciate that the whole article was posted here. I appreciate that a member who endeavors to start a thread at Soulful Detroit would also include sufficient information relating to the topic without requiring that I visit another site. This is a trusted web forum, free of fake news and malware. It is inappropriate to divert traffic to another site and SD could be misused in that way.

This is yet another issue of propriety where we will not all agree.

Jack020, thanks for posting this article. The Dionne "My Music" special is great. I will be purchasing the deluxe CD and DVD set.

I want that hits and rarities cd, believe it or not, for the full length "Love Boat" theme. I swear I love Dionne's version of that. Unfortunately 150 buck pledge to PBS is not in my budget. Maybe it will end up on ebay someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    For the record, the link to the seconddisc.com site appears at the very top of Jack020's post.
    Indeed. And Bluebrock understandably didn't click the link and mistakenly thanked the wrong person for "their" work.

It is inappropriate to divert traffic to another site and SD could be misused in that way.
    The Second Disc is a reputable site and if its articles are "good enough" to repost here, then the site is good enough to receive clicks/traffic for its content.

This is yet another issue of propriety where we will not all agree.
    No, I don't expect we will.
    Last edited by smallworld; 08-22-2018 at 06:05 PM.

Just got around to watching my DVR of this special and thought it was extremely well done. One of TJ's best efforts. Now I just have to find the money to buy something!!!