[REMOVE ADS]

Martha Reeves & the Vandellas Gowns

There have been discussions in the past regarding the Supremes' gowns, as well as exhibits presented by Mary Wilson. However, Martha & the Vandellas had some nice gowns as well. Has anyone seen any of their stage attire displayed at any of the museums? Did Martha keep any of them? I was looking at the cover of Sugar N' Spice tonight and those gowns were lovely.

I like t outfits worn on t watchout album

As I recall, Martha takes time in her book to write about what they wore, and justifies her wearing fur by saying they were shuffled from outside cold to indoor heat repeatedly which made her susceptible to catching cold.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame had one of Martha's dresses on display a number of
    years ago. It looked like a pretty early outfit....nothing like The Supremes' gowns. Also,
    I think I remember a set of dresses were on display at the Motown Museum awhile back.

That is a good question and probably Martha or Roz may have the best answer. I am sure the cost of the gowns came out of their salary as well. I have never seen Martha and the Vandellas gowns on display at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame or Hitsville USA.

MRATV had lots of great outfits but they didn't seem to jump into the high-fashion/couture look of the Supremes. Martha and the girls looked great on stage but their wardrobe wasn't as famous or as noteworthy are the Sups. the Supremes image became almost as important as their singing.

The vandellas gowns were beautiful,but not glamorous like the supremes,. But I loved the Marvelettes gowns too! And their dresses,especially the mid 60 s wardrobe

In one of Mary's books, she talks about all the maintenance required for the stage gowns which would get worn out and sweaty especially in the "private areas." I remember laughing when she said something like, "I had to pay a fortune just to keep my gowns alive!"

There were some of the Vandallas old stage costumes at the Hitsville Museum in the mid 90s.