[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I don’t think Mary came up with the idea, but she went along with it. What disappoints me is not that they did it, but she makes up this elaborate lie in her book about it - there was no reason to mention it at all except to throw shade at Scherrie and Susaye and make herself more of a victim of Motown - all of it BS. It bugs me because I want to think the content is factual and really, so much of it is............hmmmmmm........how do I say this kindly...........not exactly the truth? ��

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    There also other management and advisors working with the Supremes at that time here in the U.S. and in Europe.
    they had other managers and advisors but only one Agent: ITM - this is one of the ways, illegal now, btw, Motown triple dipped on artists’ performing fees. Had things been done correctly, Mary would be retired in The Bahamas now with Dom Perignon on tap.

Everyone here can speculate what happened but truthfully no one here knows what really happened in this situation. It’s easy to look at it 40 years later and give an opinion on what could’ve happen but never realized what was being said to those involved. Plus do you really think Mary wanted to go out knowing she was 7+ months pregnant.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    One thing you can credit Cindy for is no matter what went on, she always had Mary's back... even at this point when the group was axed by Motown. Debbie kinda looks like Jean.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I dug out a Supremes fan club newsletter from the fall of 1977. There is an article called "Here are the Facts." Take from it what you will:

During a month many fans hoped they would see a bright new start for the Supremes, the group unfortunately has experienced one of the most confusing and disheartening periods. From the many fans who have inquired here are the facts as we know them: Mary Sherrie and Susaye successfully completed their tour of Europe and Great Britain in June with a touching and well-received farewell performance for Mary in London; the Press covered her leaving The Supremes to start a solo career widely with emphasis on the terms of her new contract with Motown and the fact Marvin Gaye would produce her first album. The ladies returned to Los Angeles for a period of rest before Mary was to start on her career and The Supremes with a new member to be selected by Motown start theirs. After their return however Pedro informed Sherrie and Susaye that yet another engagement had been contracted for a tour of Central and South America; because they had made personal commitments for the period of the tour and because Mary had given her widely publicized farewell performance, Sherrie and Susaye declined to make the tour. Pedro and Mary then invited ex Supreme Cindy Birdsong and one of the people who supposedly had audition for Mary's place in the group Debbie Sharpe to accompany them on the tour as The Supremes. Meanwhile back in Los Angeles, Trade Publications were reporting that Motown had a prime candidate for Mary's replacement who, with Sherrie and Susaye, would form the new Supremes. There was also talk that Motown had made a commitment to manage and direct the group and reestablish their prominence in the fields of both recordings and personal appearances. As of this date the above is still true. One has to question the fact that Pedro states that Mary has actually signed a new solo deal with Motown where in Mary's interviews she says she doesn't know whether or not she will stay with Motown. So the rumors still persist and the fans are quite anxious to see the group back together again soon but all we can say it's really hard to say which three girls are going to be included in the Supremes. There have been times when we've been Supremes-less and today we actually have a possible six Supremes. Good luck to all of you.
    The more I read on the Supremes fallout, the more sad I get. How did a legendary group fall apart so suddenly like that? And before people start, yeah I know acts who get on top don't last forever, but they had chance to grow like the Temptations and in a sense they weren't allowed to...

Mary has every right to tell her story. If she hadn’t written about it other people would’ve complained she didn’t tell the whole story! How long did this tour last? Did they immediately disband?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Mary has every right to tell her story. If she hadn’t written about it other people would’ve complained she didn’t tell the whole story! How long did this tour last? Did they immediately disband?
    If Mary hadn't written her books, 90% of what these guys talk about today would not exist! Mary is the Supreme, so of course she has a right to tell her story. She was the only that was in the group throughout it's lifecycle. She knows the background and the lead vocals to the songs, she owns all the costumes, she did all of the choreography on stage and TV, she did most of the interviews, appears in all of the photos of the group, help fund the group in the 70s, hell....she wrote the book! LOL!

Anyway, that tour lasted 6-7 weeks I believe in the summer of 1977. They came back to LA afterwards and Mary, with Cindy's help began auditioning singers for Mary's new show.

Well said Marv. Cindy has sure been there for Mary!

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Well said Marv. Cindy has sure been there for Mary!
    Oh yes she has. Did you know that Cindy was one of the people that stayed with Mary for 3 weeks looking after her after her accident?

Yes. A great lady. I hope Cindy is now getting support from others. I heard one story that concerned me but hopefully it was an aberration

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Anyway, that tour lasted 6-7 weeks I believe in the summer of 1977. They came back to LA afterwards and Mary, with Cindy's help began auditioning singers for Mary's new show.
    That was real sweet what Cindy did. Everything comes full cirlce when you think that Mary trained Cindy to replace Flo almost 10 years prior.