[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    This is what the late [[also great) Billy Preston had to say about her:

I love that quote. It says it all. PS sansradio. I saw you all on tv!

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Jesus knows there is a glory that is far beyond anything this world can offer. He knows that the true sight of him is worth more than millions of worlds. He knows that the sight of his glory will leave no one unsatisfied. Jesus is eager for his precious saints to enter eternal happiness with him. Our beloved Miss Aretha Franklin has entered her Heavenly happiness and seen the sight of Jesus. You are home Miss Franklin and there is no more pain. Rejoice with the Lord in your new home.
    Lovely words as always Roberta. I am wiping away tears as i read your beautiful and heartfelt words. May she rest in eternal peace.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I love that quote. It says it all. PS sansradio. I saw you all on tv!
    HA! I hope I didn't get any face time...I called in sick.

My mama talking about going to Detroit for the Queen festivities. I'm seriously contemplating going along. As someone said already, it's like a family member has passed on. Aretha's family should hire extra security because they'll surely be upset to find me squeezing in with Aretha's family in the limo on the way to the funeral and sitting in the front pew at the church like I belong there. I don't belong, but I feel like I do. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    I agree 100 percent with the sentiment. The world is worst for this loss, IMO.

wonder_woman Guest
    Not many singers give me goose bumps but Aretha did, no one can match her amazing vocals, a one of a kind, God Bless Her.

Rest in peace Aretha.

It has warmed my heart to see all the love the Queen is getting all around the world. Most of the UK's national newspapers have paid tribute... just look at this wonderful front page...

Name:  5D03E8E0-153E-4659-92CE-415095BCFE18.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  13.6 KB

Does Trump have to ruin everything?

I've been listening to Aretha's latest last album, the one with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, and I absolutely love it. I'm so glad that it was released before she passed... does anyone know what the Queen herself thought of it?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 08-17-2018 at 06:13 PM.

Here is information on the services for Aretha; public and private. :'[[ You have to put this link in your browser.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/detroit-city/2018/08/17/public-viewing-private-services-aretha-franklin/1022665002/

Quote Originally Posted by RTA6226 View Post
    Here is information on the services for Aretha; public and private. :'[[ You have to put this link in your browser.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/detroit-city/2018/08/17/public-viewing-private-services-aretha-franklin/1022665002/
    Thank you RTA6226, it is very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    As always, Billy was absolutely right. Aretha was not only a [[true) Queen but also a genius.

Aretha's last interview with Rolling Stone Magazine:
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...erview-712726/

Quote Originally Posted by stingbeelee View Post
    Jay Z and Beyonce dedicated their Detroit show on Monday to Aretha. DJ Khalid played songs for the crowd beforehand. He also told the crowd about Aretha and played 'Respect'
    The over 50,000 crowd SANG RESPECT OUT LOUD. This was tweens, teenagers, twenty something year olds and thirty year olds. And it looked to me that all of them knew the words. This is a 50+ year old song! I've worked with kids in Detroit for 40+ years. There are only a few songs that people from 10 to 80 know. 'Respect' is one. 'My Girl' is another. 'Ain't no mountain high enough [[Marvin/Tammi)'. If I do the hand signal, the kids know 'Stop! In the Name of Love'. There is only one artist that I can remember where 5 generations of my family had their records at the same time, and that's Aretha. Even when Michael J was at his peak, my great-great aunt and grandmother did not want nor buy his records. Only Aretha spanned the generations. My great-great aunt had her records, my grandmother had her records, my Mother had her records, I had her records and my little niece danced and sang to her records. Long live the Queen!
    aretha will live on endlessly we lost a big icon. Yes i bought respect and many other records from 67 on i even got a columbia recording of her early 60s releases. Then rock steady ushered in t 70s. And jump to it t 80s. Aretha r.i.p music industry wwill never be the same

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    aretha will live on endlessly we lost a big icon. Yes i bought respect and many other records from 67 on i even got a columbia recording of her early 60s releases. Then rock steady ushered in t 70s. And jump to it t 80s. Aretha r.i.p music industry wwill never be the same
    Nope, it will never be the same now Fran. We have witnessed a true end to an era. There will never be in our lifetimes another as talented and as long lasting as Aretha Franklin. They has not been one since she first came along.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Nope, it will never be the same now Fran. We have witnessed a true end to an era. There will never be in our lifetimes another as talented and as long lasting as Aretha Franklin. They has not been one since she first came along.
    You are so correct Marv. There's a reason why she was voted the "Greatest Singer" in history.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; 08-19-2018 at 10:28 AM.

Like they said about Anita Mui when she died being the "daughter of Hong Kong", I feel in my mind that Aretha was the "daughter of Detroit".

No other Detroit-reared [[as opposed to Detroit-born lol) celebrity held that city up high as much as Queen Ree. True she was born in Memphis but she truly was a Detroit homegirl.

Hi all,
    Here are a couple of clips with Gene Simmons [[Kiss) sharing his memories about the impact Aretha had on him [[and society) after he immigrated to the U.S. from Israel. He also mentions how warm and gracious she was when he called her out of the blue to suggest doing a duet with Diana Ross.

HLN News -Tribute To Aretha Franklin : Gene Simmons with Christi Paul 8/16/18
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4I_3dOCV88

CNN International – Gene Simmons on Aretha Franklin
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EuFX2X8gXo
    Last edited by dylan; 08-19-2018 at 04:46 PM. Reason: typos

Shows you the impact Aretha left behind if GENE SIMMONS actually waxes poetically about you!

I was reading how many awards and chart successes she accumulated over her career. Writer-producer-musician-arranger. She did it all.

I've been keeping up on all this Aretha stuff. It's just that there isn't much else to say. But, I am floored by the response there has been to her passing. Even nightclubs are playing her music! That says a LOT!

From today's Detroit Free Press:
    Aretha Franklin's funeral will be a star-studded musical affair: Stevie Wonder, Faith Hill, Ronald Isley, Chaka Khan and Jennifer Hudson are among the singers who will perform at the Aug. 31 service in Detroit.

Fantasia, Yolanda Adams, Shirley Caesar, the Clark Sisters and Jennifer Holliday are also on tap to perform, Franklin's family announced Thursday. The full list of 19 performers is below.

Franklin's funeral will be at 10 a.m. Aug. 31 at Greater Grace Temple on Detroit's west side. It is expected to draw a host of dignitaries and celebrities from across the entertainment spectrum.

Bishop Charles H. Ellis III of Greater Grace will officiate, with the Rev. Robert Smith Jr. of Detroit's New Bethel Baptist Church as co-officiant. The eulogy will be delivered by the Rev. Jasper Williams Jr. of Atlanta's Salem Baptist Church.

At this point, the funeral is private, but some public seating ultimately may be made available.

Note: While there could be some crossover, the performers named for the funeral service are distinct from the lineup that will play the just-announced Chene Park tribute show on Aug. 30. That list of performers has not been released.

Singers scheduled for Aretha Franklin's funeral:

Stevie Wonder

Faith Hill

Ronald Isley

Chaka Khan

Fantasia

Jennifer Hudson

Yolanda Adams

Shirley Caesar

The Clark Sisters

Jennifer Holliday

Tasha Cobbs-Leonard

Marvin Sapp

The Williams Brothers

Vanessa Bell Armstrong

Audrey DuBois Harris

Alice McAllister Tillman

Edward Franklin

Aretha Franklin Orchestra

Aretha Franklin Celebration Choir

Norman Thrasher musician, friend of Aretha Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Rest in peace Aretha.

It has warmed my heart to see all the love the Queen is getting all around the world. Most of the UK's national newspapers have paid tribute... just look at this wonderful front page...

Name:  5D03E8E0-153E-4659-92CE-415095BCFE18.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  13.6 KB

Does Trump have to ruin everything?

I've been listening to Aretha's latest last album, the one with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, and I absolutely love it. I'm so glad that it was released before she passed... does anyone know what the Queen herself thought of it?
    Me too. It was so wonderful that BBC, ITV and C4 news all led on Aretha, with the BBC being particularly respectful with a reporter outside the New Bethel in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    I've met Oneil Swanson, his father and his sister. Nice family.

I’m seeing reports that she’s preparing for transition! Praying for the best, and preparing for the worst! No matter when more, it will always be too soon for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Kamilah View Post
    I’m seeing reports that she’s preparing for transition! Praying for the best, and preparing for the worst! No matter when more, it will always be too soon for me!

Ummmm...you do know she passed away over a month ago, right?