[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross Project: Take Me Higher - Extended Post

It's interesting to read fans opinions of Diana's back catalogue on the dp forum.
    This is such a lovely album, far stronger then FBTP imo.. I think the photography, design and colours used fit the mood of the album perfectly. For me it sounds as fresh today as when it was first released.
    I don't quite agree with pauls choices as highlights from the album..... All the songs are good, but at a pinch my three would be

1.Don't Stop. Could and should have been a huge hit [[Why on earth did motown remove the rap section....weird

2. If Your Not Gonna Love Me Right. Remix version should have been the single.

3. Let Somebody Know. Sophisticated,poignant ballad and a brilliant vocal from Diana. Her voice always sounds superb when she sings in a lower register.

My favorite has always been "Gone" for the reasons the reviewer mentions. The video is also very beautiful.
    Last edited by jobucats; 08-20-2018 at 08:46 PM.

Looking back on it, I think I would have released I Will Survive first and then Gone over Take Me Higher

great album. i would have not released I Will Survive.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    great album. i would have not released I Will Survive.
    Why not david, it was a big hit in the UK. For me it's "Don't Stop" uk cd version all the way......Was amazed when TMH the single went nowhere..... Who would have thought. One of my favourite Diana albums of all time.

i like it but I would have released more original material first as singles. the lp was not a hit here for some reason. great album. I just feel I would have released other songs first

Only Love Can Conquer All??

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Only Love Can Conquer All??
    Great album track, but not a single, IMO.

Voice of the heart first?

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Voice of the heart first?
    "Voice Of The Heart" is a really nice song but i don't think it had what it takes to make it as a hit single. The chorus is just not strong enough. What it not released as a double A side in the UK?. I remember watching Diana perform it live on tv with my siblings who were not turned on to it. Not sure what show it was but remember Diana looked stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    "Voice Of The Heart" is a really nice song but i don't think it had what it takes to make it as a hit single. The chorus is just not strong enough. What it not released as a double A side in the UK?.
    It was released as a double A-side in the US, with Voice of the Heart targeted at the adult contemporary radio and If You're Not Gonna Love Me Right to urban and pop radio. Voice of the Heart is a song you do sometimes hear in stores on the AC radio. I agree though that as a single it was not the strongest track. She did perform it on the Soul Train anniversary show [[where she hugged Whitney).

Name:  diana_ross-voice_of_the_heart_s.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  54.5 KB

I don't disagree with Motown's choice of singles in the US, just the order they were released in.

IMO, GONE should not have been the second single. I would have gone with IF YOU'RE NOT GONNA LOVE ME RIGHT and then VOICE OF THE HEART. I would have released GONE later.

Re I WILL SURVIVE, it wouldn't have necessarily been my choice of a single. But after it being featured twice in the film IN AND OUT, plus her performance of it during the Super Bowl, not to mention the video with RuPaul, I would have given it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    "Voice Of The Heart" is a really nice song but i don't think it had what it takes to make it as a hit single. The chorus is just not strong enough. What it not released as a double A side in the UK?. I remember watching Diana perform it live on tv with my siblings who were not turned on to it. Not sure what show it was but remember Diana looked stunning.
    I think it was the B side of "i will survive " if i remember correctly. She performed it live on The National Lottery Show or the Des O'Connor show.Cannot remember for sure without consulting my diary. It was never an official A side, but maybe it should have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I think it was the B side of "i will survive " if i remember correctly. She performed it live on The National Lottery Show or the Des O'Connor show.Cannot remember for sure without consulting my diary. It was never an official A side, but maybe it should have been.
    I have to say Bluebrock that it was a blow hearing that any possible plans for an expanded TMH were nowhere in sight. Sadly i have a feeling it will be a long wait before that ever happens........Drat!!!
    As regards "Voice Of The Heart", i think it would have been a better choice then "Gone" as a single but there were stronger songs on the album.
    It's always baffled me as to why "I Will Survive" was the only big hit in the UK. Perhaps interest in Diana had cooled by 95 after the huge success of FBTP and the "One Woman Collection.