[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Hmmm , I thought the gov't decided what gets played there ???
    Then you thought wrong. The BBC might have got leaned on from time to time, but is independent of the government.

Here in the Netherlands, we definitely know Tina Turner before her comeback in the 1980s. Ike & Tina had several big hits in the Netherlands, including "Proud Mary," "Nutbush City Limits," and my favorite "Baby, Get It On." Interestingly, "Let's Stay Together" was a bigger hit than "What's Love Got To Do With It" and subsequently "Let's Stay Together" was the big comeback song for us. I do remember that we thought she was REALLY old [[even though she was only 44 at the time, and just 5 years older that Diana Ross, who was not considered old).

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Then you thought wrong. The BBC might have got leaned on from time to time, but is independent of the government.
    I've always wanted to learn more about the BBC and how it worked back in the seventies and then the eighties if different.

So it wasn't a government entity? How was it funded?
    Was it a body of people? How many? How did they get their positions?
    How did the music get chosen?
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 09-27-2018 at 01:19 PM.

In France, the promo orchestrated around her was like she was coming back from prehistory.
    I remembered her rather well because she was hot around 70/72 and I liked her sexy R&B numbers. I was born at the end of 1966, and in my classroom, I was the only one to know her, even vaguely.
    Her heavy FM sound and leather mini dress seemed a betray to her classic songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    Here in the Netherlands, we definitely know Tina Turner before her comeback in the 1980s. Ike & Tina had several big hits in the Netherlands, including "Proud Mary," "Nutbush City Limits," and my favorite "Baby, Get It On." Interestingly, "Let's Stay Together" was a bigger hit than "What's Love Got To Do With It" and subsequently "Let's Stay Together" was the big comeback song for us. I do remember that we thought she was REALLY old [[even though she was only 44 at the time, and just 5 years older that Diana Ross, who was not considered old).
    Jaap, "Let's Stay Together" also was the big comeback hit for Tina Turner for us in Detroit.

I've always wanted to learn more about the BBC and how it worked back in the seventies and then the eighties if different.

Hey Boogie, I can't answer all of your questions, but I do know a bit about the ol' British Broadcasting Corporation. You're right, the BBC is not a government entity. It is funded by the general public through everyone [[or most people) having a "TV Licence"; you have to pay a yearly fee to watch the BBC. It's enforced in a way that means every household has to have a TV license to watch TV [[even if you don't watch the BBC). It's an independent organisation with lots of different parts to it, and much like any other organisation there's a hierarchy of positions, with the head of the BBC at the top.
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 09-27-2018 at 03:05 PM.

I always thought it was a government funded television outlet like the CBC in Canada and RT in Russia.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Hey Boogie, I can't answer all of your questions, but I do know a bit about the ol' British Broadcasting Corporation. You're right, the BBC is not a government entity. It is funded by the general public through everyone [[or most people) having a "TV Licence"; you have to pay a yearly fee to watch the BBC. It's an independent organisation with lots of different parts to it, and much like any other organisation there's a hierarchy of positions.
    So it set up along the lines of our cable systems? PBS is partially government funded and part public funded.

I don't really know marv, I think I may have the reached the limit of my knowledge on this

Wait, is this thread about what went wrong in Diana's career in the '90s or how successful Tina Turner was compared to DR? I mean I think it's clear WHY Tina was successful in the '80s. Sometimes the company you can keep can help you get you to where you wanna go. That's all I'm saying.

But Tina's career prior to 1984 was well known based on the performances she gave with Ike. I don't think in Tina's career that it mattered whether or not she had big hits or not. She had the live act down pat. Plus Proud Mary made her so iconic that if she didn't do it, they wouldn't go to her show. She knew that. It paid the bills until she finally was able to live comfortably the way she wanted, which took roughly 33 years [[1976-2009).

But let's not act like she wasn't a big deal BEFORE lol

She was quite prominent in the '60s and '70s. She might not have had consistent hits but one thing she was was prolific and she was in an era where artists actually developed growth. She went from a Southern-reared blues singer when A Fool in Love came out to a pop diva with the tendency to create drama when River Deep hit to a sophisticated funkateer in later recordings with Ike [[Come Together, I Want to Take You Higher, Bold Soul Sister, Proud Mary, Nutbush, Sexy Ida, etc.).

Of course her success wasn't as massive as the Supremes or Aretha but she was no joke in those days. It was just that no one knew what to do with her or probably weren't able to do much since Ike Turner had such control that they couldn't get to her or manage her the way they would've liked.

Tina got famous in those days for constantly staying on the road and delivering such a high-octane show that people who never bought her records became fans of her and began to slowly get into her catalog. The 1966-71 period of Tina's career was really important because it made her an icon of '60s and early '70s rock and roll.

Anyway, why do we keep on going off topic in these Supremes threads???

Also, the BBC and PBS? Lordt...
    Last edited by midnightman; 09-27-2018 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    That's nuts how in those days being 44 was considered "dinosaur age"... in fact, when I saw one of BET's Notarized countdowns, Marvin's Sexual Healing was mentioned and someone said how they forgot about Marvin's age and how sexy he was because they initially thought he was a "dinosaur" and he was 43. Then when he died, they suddenly were like "he went too soon"... think that was also the same treatment they gave 42-year-old Elvis.

Hey Boogie, I can't answer all of your questions, but I do know a bit about the ol' British Broadcasting Corporation. You're right, the BBC is not a government entity. It is funded by the general public through everyone [[or most people) having a "TV Licence"; you have to pay a yearly fee to watch the BBC. It's enforced in a way that means every household has to have a TV license to watch TV [[even if you don't watch the BBC). It's an independent organisation with lots of different parts to it, and much like any other organisation there's a hierarchy of positions, with the head of the BBC at the top.
    Thanks Tom Tom !
    I should've been more specific in my original post . I am most curious about BBC radio. Was there a listening fee for it like the one for TV? Was it one radio station ? For The entire country. Same format all day long, each day?
    Thanks!

an interesting topic needing its own thread I reckon.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 09-28-2018 at 12:53 AM.

Thanks Tom Tom !
    I should've been more specific in my original post . I am most curious about BBC radio. Was there a listening fee for it like the one for TV? Was it one radio station ? For The entire country. Same format all day long, each day?
    Thanks!

an interesting topic needing its own thread I reckon.
    Lol yea probably Boogie. Now BBC radio... no there wasn't and isn't a yearly fee like there is for the TV, but the money raised from the TV license is also used to fund BBC radio, and other parts of BBC. There are several different BBC radio stations now [[at least 5), not sure if there have always been [[probably not). BBC Radio One was the station that was founded in the late '60s to combat the rise of pirate radio stations playing all the 'hip' music. And while I would like to say that they did and still do follow a pretty similar daily format, I don't listen to BBC radio all day every day to confirm that.

Re Post #113

There used to be a Radio License, but that was eventually abolished when television became dominant.
    Last edited by 144man; 10-03-2018 at 06:11 PM.

I did not know that martin, thank you, that makes a lot of sense.

... BBC Radio One was the station that was founded in the late '60s to combat the rise of pirate radio stations playing all the 'hip' music. ..
    When I was in the army stationed in Germany in the sixties, we had the Armed Forces Network [[AFN), which played pretty much middle of the road music. I remember being able to hear something from the UK at night called Radio Luxenburg, which was terrifc and kept me up to date with soul music. Was this a pirate station?

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    When I was in the army stationed in Germany in the sixties, we had the Armed Forces Network [[AFN), which played pretty much middle of the road music. I remember being able to hear something from the UK at night called Radio Luxenburg, which was terrifc and kept me up to date with soul music. Was this a pirate station?
    Radio Luxemburg was a commercial radio station broadcasting to the UK from Luxembourg. Its signal suffered from infuriating fading. I used to tune into AFN at the weekend when it played records from the Hot 100 that I couldn't hear on the BBC.