[REMOVE ADS]

Really a good video.

Wasn't the final Labelle concert in Baltimore?

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Yes. I was expecting footage of Nona staring into space and walking offstage.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I wondered about that, too, Peace. Maybe this was the last 'televised'
    concert? I'm clueless. Just went by what they stated it was.

This is a very good episode of Don Kirshner's Rock Concert. Gosh, Patti was a powerhouse!

"Come with me if you believe in fantasy, if you believe you in the magical world that we live in" Nona Hendryx

Their last concert date was in Baltimore at the Painter's Mill Theater [[December 1976). This was their third and final appearance on Rock Concert. It was filmed at the Aquarius Theater in Hollywood. I was sitting in the very first row smack dab in the middle of it all. Out of the three times that they were on the show this was the very best energy wise. The Labelle die-hard fans were in the house that day. The ladies wore designs by the great Norma Kamali on their last tour.

Name:  Labelle-1976 C.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  81.8 KB

Always loved that photo of Labelle [[or as I like to call them, "the Belles of Funk").

Did Nona ever walk offstage and blacked out as it's claimed?

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Always loved that photo of Labelle [[or as I like to call them, "the Belles of Funk").

Did Nona ever walk offstage and blacked out as it's claimed?
    Patti wrote that Nona walked offstage after taking a long time to come in on her part of a song that I can't recall at the moment.

Earlier that day, Patti and Nona had gotten into a vicious fight that Patti wrote she still isn't ready to talk about. After Nona walked off and the show was cancelled, they heard this pounding. It turned out to be Nona beating her head into her dressing room wall. They had to take her in restraints from the venue.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Patti wrote that Nona walked offstage after taking a long time to come in on her part of a song that I can't recall at the moment.

Earlier that day, Patti and Nona had gotten into a vicious fight that Patti wrote she still isn't ready to talk about. After Nona walked off and the show was cancelled, they heard this pounding. It turned out to be Nona beating her head into her dressing room wall. They had to take her in restraints from the venue.
    Oh OK... wow...

IIRC, it was “[[Can I Speak to You Before You Go to) Hollywood.” Since Nona normally begins the song, on this occasion, there was a pregnant pause as she just stood there, finally walking offstage. Patti said something along the lines of this-isn’t-my-part-but-I’m-gonna-try-it-anyway, getting through it as a duet with Sarah.
    Last edited by sansradio; 08-11-2018 at 03:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brother_love View Post
    "Come with me if you believe in fantasy, if you believe you in the magical world that we live in" Nona Hendryx

Their last concert date was in Baltimore at the Painter's Mill Theater [[December 1976). This was their third and final appearance on Rock Concert. It was filmed at the Aquarius Theater in Hollywood. I was sitting in the very first row smack dab in the middle of it all. Out of the three times that they were on the show this was the very best energy wise. The Labelle die-hard fans were in the house that day. The ladies wore designs by the great Norma Kamali on their last tour.

Name:  Labelle-1976 C.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  81.8 KB
    The 'Man In A Trenchcoat' - 'Gypsy Moth' segue - LOVE IT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    I wondered about that, too, Peace. Maybe this was the last 'televised'
    concert? I'm clueless. Just went by what they stated it was.
    Well it's great to see it posted! I'm an avowed Labelle Hag and we know these things ! Thanks again for the post -

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    IIRC, it was “[[Can I Speak to You Before You Go to) Hollywood.” Since Nona normally begins the song, on this occasion, there was a pregnant pause as she just stood there, finally walking offstage. Patti said something along the lines of this-isn’t-my-part-but-I’m-gonna-try-it-anyway, getting through it as a duet with Sarah.
    Wow!!!
    Nona definitely had issues... ugh...
    I also remember that all three had issues professionally on what they wanted the group to be.

Patti wanted them to return to the ballads [[Nona and Sarah hated "Isn't It a Shame" but Patti continued to perform the song after Labelle went on hiatus in 1976 - they never officially broke up AFAIK), Sarah wanted them to go full-fledged disco [[Nona hated disco) and Nona wanted them to continue on the glam funk rock route.

Didn’t they do a few tour dates when they released their underrated reunion album in 2008? That definitely deserved more acclaim!

Earlier that day, Patti and Nona had gotten into a vicious fight that Patti wrote she still isn't ready to talk about.
    Let's speculate about that fight...

15 minutes prior to showtime, in their dressing room, Nona finally approached Patti about the rumblings she had heard from others. Patti did not turn from the mirror to face Nona but stared at her [[Nona's) reflection. Patti calmly said that they should talk but it should be after the show. Nona was not persuaded, she stood her ground and insisted they talk at that moment. Sarah rolled her eyes sensing the storm about to come. Patti sighed heavily, turned to face Nona and then told Nona she was unhappy with Nona's songs for their upcoming album and she wanted to use outside songwriters. She felt that Nona's songs were not commercial enough and were becoming too explicitly gay in lyrical content. Patti said she was the star of the trio -- because it was called "Labelle" -- so it was her way or the highway.

Nona took a deep breath and exhaled, wanting to maintain her compsure. Nona told "Patsy" that she felt hurt and that Patsy never appreciated her artistry or the unique brilliance of the songs she'd written for Labelle from the beginning. Patti paused, turned her face to the mirror and her back to Nona. Patti sucked hard on her throat lozenge and then said she [[Patti) obviously wasnt the only one who couldn't appreciate Nona's "unique brilliance" because none of her songs were hits.

Nona was stunned by Patti's words, and that Patti had turned her back on her in the middle of their conversation. In a steady voice that belied her anger, Nona told Patsy she was a stuck-up beyotch, and that she needn't worry about competing with Diana Ross, Donna Summer or Natalie Cole on the charts because she didn't have ANY of what it took to be a commercially successful solo star. Patti -- startled by Nona's vicious words -- told Nona that she could jump all the way up Vicki's @ss.

A bottle of Chanel No.5 went sailing across the room and shattered on contact with the mirror just to the left of where Patti was seated. Patti hurled a half-eaten plate of french fries at Nona and screamed: "you're paying for that, heifer!!!" Sarah sulked in the corner while taking in this entirely predictable eruption of egos -- and applying the final touches to her mascara. Nona runs out of the dressing room.

Stage manager yells "Five minutes for Labelle!! Let's go, ladies!"

Quote Originally Posted by pghmusiclover View Post
    Didn’t they do a few tour dates when they released their underrated reunion album in 2008? That definitely deserved more acclaim!
    They did quite a few dates in support of that album. I caught the opening night[[s) at the Apollo, as well as a later show at the Beacon.

Whatever did go down in 1976, it is nice that they are still good friends and are able to come together on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Let's speculate about that fight...

15 minutes prior to showtime, in their dressing room, Nona finally approached Patti about the rumblings she had heard from others. Patti did not turn from the mirror to face Nona but stared at her [[Nona's) reflection. Patti calmly said that they should talk but it should be after the show. Nona was not persuaded, she stood her ground and insisted they talk at that moment. Sarah rolled her eyes sensing the storm about to come. Patti sighed heavily, turned to face Nona and then told Nona she was unhappy with Nona's songs for their upcoming album and she wanted to use outside songwriters. She felt that Nona's songs were not commercial enough and were becoming too explicitly gay in lyrical content. Patti said she was the star of the trio -- because it was called "Labelle" -- so it was her way or the highway.

Nona took a deep breath and exhaled, wanting to maintain her compsure. Nona told "Patsy" that she felt hurt and that Patsy never appreciated her artistry or the unique brilliance of the songs she'd written for Labelle from the beginning. Patti paused, turned her face to the mirror and her back to Nona. Patti sucked hard on her throat lozenge and then said she [[Patti) obviously wasnt the only one who couldn't appreciate Nona's "unique brilliance" because none of her songs were hits.

Nona was stunned by Patti's words, and that Patti had turned her back on her in the middle of their conversation. In a steady voice that belied her anger, Nona told Patsy she was a stuck-up beyotch, and that she needn't worry about competing with Diana Ross, Donna Summer or Natalie Cole on the charts because she didn't have ANY of what it took to be a commercially successful solo star. Patti -- startled by Nona's vicious words -- told Nona that she could jump all the way up Vicki's @ss.

A bottle of Chanel No.5 went sailing across the room and shattered on contact with the mirror just to the left of where Patti was seated. Patti hurled a half-eaten plate of french fries at Nona and screamed: "you're paying for that, heifer!!!" Sarah sulked in the corner while taking in this entirely predictable eruption of egos -- and applying the final touches to her mascara. Nona runs out of the dressing room.

Stage manager yells "Five minutes for Labelle!! Let's go, ladies!"
    You may mean well but this is unnecessary. The ladies chose to not discuss the events. 'Not to be spoken of' said Sarah a while back. So let's be above gossip and speculation and cleave to the ladies' wishes.

They did quite a few dates in support of that album. I caught the opening night[[s) at the Apollo, as well as a later show at the Beacon.

Whatever did go down in 1976, it is nice that they are still good friends and are able to come together on occasion.
    I as well attended the Apollo and the Beacon shows and they were E.P.I.C. Even with the power blowout on opening night! Just. EPIC.

Patti recently said in an interview a few months ago that LaBelle will record and tour again though she often has said that.

Indeed, 'Back To Now' did deserve more acclaim. An excellent & hard-hitting Labelle LP as always!

Yep. Did several shows at the Apollo. There was talks of extending the tour but for some reason it didn't pan out so Patti ended up returning to solo shows. The tour lasted, probably, a couple of months, if that.

IIRC, Patti sung on several of Nona's solo records, including [[I think) her debut album in '77 and of course the Transformation album from '82. Patti did a duet with Sarah on one of her albums in the '80s. Nona co-wrote "When You've Been Blessed" for Patti's Burnin' album [[she and Patti were listed as co-writers on that one) and the ladies themselves reunited for the track "Release Yourself" on the same album [[the trio even had that ballyhooed reunion during Patti's Apollo show, the one that I believe was released on VHS or taped for television broadcast to promote Burnin', forget which one it was, probably the latter). They also had a number one dance hit in 1995 [["Turn It Out" from the "To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything Julie Newmar" soundtrack) so they never REALLY broke up. They just stopped doing albums because "it wasn't the right time". 2008 turned out to be the right time for all three of them before they got too old, I guess. But since their 60th anniversary is coming in a few years, I hope they finally make that last album they said they were gonna make and go on one last tour.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    IIRC, Patti sung on several of Nona's solo records, including [[I think) her debut album in '77 and of course the Transformation album from '82. Patti did a duet with Sarah on one of her albums in the '80s. Nona co-wrote "When You've Been Blessed" for Patti's Burnin' album [[she and Patti were listed as co-writers on that one) and the ladies themselves reunited for the track "Release Yourself" on the same album [[the trio even had that ballyhooed reunion during Patti's Apollo show, the one that I believe was released on VHS or taped for television broadcast to promote Burnin', forget which one it was, probably the latter). They also had a number one dance hit in 1995 [["Turn It Out" from the "To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything Julie Newmar" soundtrack) so they never REALLY broke up. They just stopped doing albums because "it wasn't the right time". 2008 turned out to be the right time for all three of them before they got too old, I guess. But since their 60th anniversary is coming in a few years, I hope they finally make that last album they said they were gonna make and go on one last tour.

They also got together to perform during Patti's set at the DIVAS WITH HEART concert at Radio City in 2008.

^ That could've been around the time Back to Now was coming out.