[REMOVE ADS]

Pointer Sisters Right Rhythm

Did anyone catch this Motown release by the Pointer Sisters? It's hit and miss for me, but it has a couple gems on it. My favorite is "Where Have You Been".

I think I actually have this album. There was a period when I was buying all of their albums. But the only song I remember is FRIENDS' ADVICE.

Like reese, 'Friends' Advice' is the only song I remember from that CD. I believe I have
    all their releases. I need to bring out these CD's and give a listen. My least favorite one
    [[I believe Bonnie's last in the group) is 'Having a Party'. A group that is rarely discussed
    around here. Nice to see them getting some exposure on this site.

I have everything the Pointers have done. Their best work was with Richard Perry for sure. Their last lp with him, "Serious Slammin'" is outstanding but went nowhere.

Right Rhythm was an ok lp. As someone said Friends' Advice is the best cut. Insanity became a mild dance hit and Ruth did a great job on a ballad "After You." Those were the three singles from the album. Motown was in a transition the year this came out and simply didn't push the album. They were dropped by the end of their first year.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Like reese, 'Friends' Advice' is the only song I remember from that CD. I believe I have
    all their releases. I need to bring out these CD's and give a listen. My least favorite one
    [[I believe Bonnie's last in the group) is 'Having a Party'. A group that is rarely discussed
    I like the Having A Party album. "Waiting On You" from that album is probably in my top 10 fav Pointer Sisters cuts. The group doesn't get the recognition they deserve. They are among the best to ever do it.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I like the Having A Party album. "Waiting On You" from that album is probably in my top 10 fav Pointer Sisters cuts. The group doesn't get the recognition they deserve. They are among the best to ever do it.
    I've run into Ruth at a few shows. Many years ago, I went to see Patti LaBelle and both Ruth and Bette Midler were in the audience. Patti them called up to help her do OVER THE RAINBOW. When Patti came back the next year, Ruth was in the audience again. As she passed me, I tapped her on the hand and she said "Hi!"

Last year, I saw Ruth at a James Taylor concert. By the time I realized who she was, I was already on the subway.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    "Bring Your Sweet Stuff Home" is one of my most favorite Pointers songs, and I have many.

My fav track is 'You Knocked The Love [[Right Outta My Heart)', a great piece of funk. Co-written by Millie Jackson who recorded it in '88.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I've run into Ruth at a few shows. Many years ago, I went to see Patti LaBelle and both Ruth and Bette Midler were in the audience. Patti them called up to help her do OVER THE RAINBOW. When Patti came back the next year, Ruth was in the audience again. As she passed me, I tapped her on the hand and she said "Hi!"

Last year, I saw Ruth at a James Taylor concert. By the time I realized who she was, I was already on the subway.
    My mother met Ruth in the 80s and it wasn't a pleasant experience. She said Anita and June couldn't have been nicer. Ruth was heavily under the influence in the 80s, so I suspect that had something to do with it. All of the interviews I've seen Ruth do in recent years she seems like a very nice lady.

Ruth is one of the underrated singers period. When talking altos it's a shame her name rarely comes up. I have a hard time choosing a favorite Pointer voice, but if I had to with a gun to my head it might very well be Ruth. Her vocals are tough to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    "Bring Your Sweet Stuff Home" is one of my most favorite Pointers songs, and I have many.
    That's a great one too, of course written by Stevie Wonder.

alanbill1074 Guest
    I love this album. I've been trying to get it reissued with all the mixes for the three singles, but so far no luck. Thankfully I own all the CD singles anyway so I just made my own.

Insanity was a great record, and the Friends Advice Shep Pettibone 12" was very good. After You was a nice ballad. I was always partial to We Wanna Thank You, on the CD [[not LP). Some good snippets of earlier hits in it.

Fab artwork too. They looked fresh, young and vibrant.

Quote Originally Posted by alanbill1074 View Post
    Insanity was a great record, and the Friends Advice Shep Pettibone 12" was very good. After You was a nice ballad. I was always partial to We Wanna Thank You, on the CD [[not LP). Some good snippets of earlier hits in it.
    I didn't know there was a Shep Pettibone remix of Friends Advice! I will need to track that down Thanks.

I also love "We Wanna Thank You". Always gets me smiling. "June! Who do you wanna thank?" "I wanna thank that fine stud sitting over there!" "Ruth, who do you wanna thank?" "I wanna thank...I wanna thank...I wanna thank ya Jayyyyyysusssss!!!" And then they take it to church...

Some good songs on this album but I really prefer the subsequent album, "Only Sisters Can Do That". Motown really dropped the ball with them.

Oh and "Where Have You Been" is one of my favourites as well. Definitely one of the shining moments on this album.