[REMOVE ADS]

Mary's "Diaries"

The story goes that Mary started writing in a diary as far back as high school; this continued as the Primettes became the Supremes, and eventually would become "Dreamgirl".

Does anyone know much about these diaries? How many were there? Has anyone ever seen them? One would have to think it's a fair amount of notebooks to span such a lengthy career.

Mark Bego has seen them, he helped Mary with both books. When I was doing the Mysteries and Scandals on Florence in 2001 I got Mark to interview. I asked him specifically about Mary's diaries because, well frankly, I questioned if they existed. He said indeed they did in various forms. It seems Mary did annotate her life on paper.

Mark was a devoted friend to Mary right up to the end. A nice guy as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Mark Bego has seen helped Mary with both books. When I was doing the Mysteries and Scandals on Florence in 2001 I got Mark to interview. I asked him specifically about Mary's diaries because, well frankly, I questioned if they existed. He said indeed they did in various forms. It seems Mary did annotate her life on paper.

Mark was a devoted friend to Mary right up to the end. A nice guy as well.
    Thank you for this. Like you, I've wondered if there really were diaries, or if they were a unicorn, lol.

It's interesting you mention Mark Bego; are you referring to Dreamgirl? I just saw an interview with Mary right around the release of her book; she mentions she had the help of two writers. I know Patricia Romanowski was credited, but I wondered who the second was.

Lots of people keep diaries at various times in their lives. Why would Mary be any different?

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Lots of people keep diaries at various times in their lives. Why would Mary be any different?
    Much has been made about them. They're often referenced in Mary interviews. With her traveling gown exhibit, which at times included copies of DREAMGIRL, as well as other pertinent accessories, one would have thought her original diaries would have been displayed as well.

It was just a question.