[REMOVE ADS]

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Happy 2020!

Hoping this is the year we see REFLECTIONS Expanded.

xo
    Yes, I sure hope so. Also Ross 78 is so long overdue.

not holding my breath ,almost gave up really but march is the anniversary of the original release . maybe. but since Universal has sat out everything thus far,maybe they are waiting for ......the 70th anniversary

If they can pass on re-issuing the Farewell album on its 50th anniversary then I dont hold much hope for Reflections...for gods sake The Supremes are Americas top vocal group of all time surely the 50th anniversary of their final concert together should have been marked but no they would rather release the complete back catalogue of some obscure group that hardly anyone has heard of in expanded editions and coloured vinyl editions and luxury ltd editions...this infuriates me.

It's really quite sad. If Universal is sleeping on the catalog, then why not pass the ball on to Real Gone? I can only hope that Ms Ross' new studio album is on the way this year and perhaps her new release will open the flood gates for more reissues on CD.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    It's really quite sad. If Universal is sleeping on the catalog, then why not pass the ball on to Real Gone? I can only hope that Ms Ross' new studio album is on the way this year and perhaps her new release will open the flood gates for more reissues on CD.

Yes but wouldn't it be cool if universal filled the gap.
    But as usual we get it all or nothing

I know everyone, like me, would like to see this released soon, but the dynamics of the music industry shift frequently. I can't imagine this is much more than an "obligatory" release, eg. not a money maker, maybe a copyright holder. After all, it has been 16 years since the release of the first in this series, WDOLG EE. [[I feel so old).

Apparently Universal doesn't want to release cd s..... and digital only.
    Why not give us at least digital releases.
    A third party was being sought for physical releases

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Apparently Universal doesn't want to release cd s..... and digital only.
    Why not give us at least digital releases.
    A third party was being sought for physical releases
    If that's true I hope not one person supports that digital crap. That's stupid. Jeez. This world, I don't know what's happening to it.

I would think that Universal might be persuaded that, with Diana Ross's name prominent on the Reflections expanded edition, that this volume would outsell all the others, especially with the stellar year coming for Miss Ross; the casual buyers who might have passed on the previous editions will pay [[$$$) a bit more attention with DIANA ROSS in the byline than to the previous Supremes titles..

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    I would think that Universal might be persuaded that, with Diana Ross's name prominent on the Reflections expanded edition, that this volume would outsell all the others, especially with the stellar year coming for Miss Ross; the casual buyers who might have passed on the previous editions will pay [[$$$) a bit more attention with DIANA ROSS in the byline than to the previous Supremes titles..
    I would be surprised if that argument hasn't been made already, and again, and again, and again.

I have found that, in this business, that the obvious gets over looked quite frequently

I would always wish for a CD but that's not the way of the world anymore. That's the way of us "old dudes".

When they did the expanded Baby It's Me [[I think that was the one), I downloaded and printed the booklet etc. Maybe it was Diana Ross Sings Songs From The Wiz.

It CAN be done even by old guys.

There's always hope. It was recently announced vinyl outsold CDs last year.
    So here's the bottom line.....just release the music and let us pick the form we listen

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    There's always hope. It was recently announced vinyl outsold CDs last year.
    So here's the bottom line.....just release the music and let us pick the form we listen
    It would be great if the fans all had their pick between vinyl, cd, download or streaming. That would make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    It would be great if the fans all had their pick between vinyl, cd, download or streaming. That would make me happy.
    I would LOVE to see a vinyl version of Reflections EE or any EE really, but most especially Supremes A Go Go.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    I would LOVE to see a vinyl version of Reflections EE or any EE really, but most especially Supremes A Go Go.
    I would love a vinyl release of Unreleased Motown 64 and 66!
    Last edited by SatansBlues; 01-25-2020 at 06:07 PM.

"REFLECTIONS" is so important to the Supremes history; the first with the DRATS name, the last with HDH. Of course there's also the Flo / Cindy situation.

Still have my fingers crossed for this one.

Next month is the anniversary of its original release but ..I'm not holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    I can just say we're working hard to continue the expanded editions. Creatively, it's not a problem. Where Universal is concerned it's a waiting game for all of us. Please know that if there's something official to announce we will happily do it!
    Hi, George --
    Hope you're doing well. Trying to keep the dream alive here. I know that you can't say anything about a "Reflections: Expanded Edition" before its time, but is there anything you can share at all?
    It's now been 53 years since the original release. To quote a solo Diana song, "I'm Still Waitin' "
    Thank you, George.

Still trying and hopefully moving in the right direction. We'd love nothing more than to make an official announcement and will absolutely do so as soon as possible. I'd say, thanks for your patience but that would be a gross understatement!

Still trying and hopefully moving in the right direction. We'd love nothing more than to make an official announcement and will absolutely do so as soon as possible. I'd say, thanks for your patience but that would be a gross understatement!
    And thanks to you, George, for your efforts with this wonderful series of releases. Be well.

Heck, I'd even settle for a wink and a nod.

And yes, thanks for all your hard work on this collection.

George and Andy ....and team.
    Thank you for all you've done and continue to do....you bring us all together..
    But we all are all in withdrawal.
    Frustrated.
    Seems forever since the last expanded release.....
    Don't make us all come down there!!!!!!!
    Lol

With Diana's love hangover now in top 5...would be cool if we got a Supremes remix to go to up the charts.always thought Forever Came Today was screaming for a new mix.always sounded like a demo run thru to me. Just didn't have the spark like the previous singles. Although I have the faith in Kevin Reeves ...sure he will make it happen.

I would love to have an expanded edition of this album - especially if it included a stereo copy of The Beginning Of The End Of Love. Yes, I know that song was recorded too late to be included in the Reflections album, but it seems to be of a piece with side one of the album and would be startlingly out of place on the Love Child album if/when an expanded version of that album is released one day. Similarly, I would like Am I Asking Too Much and Too Much A Little Too Soon on an expanded Reflections album, as they, too, sound like outtakes from side one.

Some other songs recorded during this timeline -- My Guy;Treat Me Right, John Henry; etc. -- I could do without, especially on this release, so the Disney Classics album could be added on Disc Two!

always thought Beginning of the end of love , would fit this lp as well.great track

Quote Originally Posted by benross View Post
    I would love to have an expanded edition of this album - especially if it included a stereo copy of The Beginning Of The End Of Love. Yes, I know that song was recorded too late to be included in the Reflections album, but it seems to be of a piece with side one of the album and would be startlingly out of place on the Love Child album if/when an expanded version of that album is released one day. Similarly, I would like Am I Asking Too Much and Too Much A Little Too Soon on an expanded Reflections album, as they, too, sound like outtakes from side one.

Some other songs recorded during this timeline -- My Guy;Treat Me Right, John Henry; etc. -- I could do without, especially on this release, so the Disney Classics album could be added on Disc Two!
    "Too Much A Little Too Soon" was included on the Expanded More Hits a few years ago

Thanks, CoolKatz! Yes, it's certainly great to have Too Much A Little Too Soon positioned with its chronological sisters and brothers on More Hits Expanded, but as you know, Motown has not always adhered to that determinant when placing songs on albums, in particular reissue albums.

Sometimes, there have been [[and are projected to be) repeats or alternate takes of certain titles from the A' Go-Go sessions in the H-D-H and other lps. For instance, A'Go-Go Expanded includes [[Love Is Like A) Heat Wave and It's The Same Old Song from the H-D-H album and Misery Makes Its Home In My Heart, What The World Needs Now Is Love and several more from later albums.

Other times, as with [[You're Gone But) Always In My Heart appearing on H-D-H Extended CD but not on Where Did Our Love Go Extended, recordings have not always appeared in timeline order on the Extended Editions. Too, the A' Go-Go Extended CD includes, oddly, an alternate from I Hear A Symphony Extended. At these times, if you want to listen to related songs, such as Come See About Me and Always In My Heart, as it was known in its 45-B-Side days, you have to pull out two CDs or two vinyl records, which can be inconvenient, and the audio/balance on the two sources may not be the same, so if you put together mix tapes or mix CDs, making the two songs like they come from the same master can be difficult.

In any event, from the first time I heard Too Much A Little Too Soon and Am I Asking Too Much on The Never-Before Released Masters, I recognized that they seemed to be the "missing link" for the Reflections album. Each of the two songs has some of the same moody, vaguely psychedelic sound of, respectively, Bah-Bah-Bah and I'm Gonna Make It [[I Will Wait For You), but each, also, seems akin, rhythmically, to Misery Makes Its Home In My Heart and In And Out Of Love. All exhibit fine examples of Diana's deft phrasing, whether she is weaving long clauses or terse lines into the complex tapestry of the songs individually or the album overall.

That's why I would like to hear these two songs mastered along with the others in a Reflections Expanded Edition: so there would be a seamless audio flow and the convenience of having it all on one CD and especially so the full potential of the album's completeness and cohesiveness could be experienced.

Thanks, CoolKatz! Yes, it's certainly great to have Too Much A Little Too Soon positioned with its chronological sisters and brothers on More Hits Expanded, but as you know, Motown has not always adhered to that determinant when placing songs on albums, in particular reissue albums.

Sometimes, there have been [[and are projected to be) repeats or alternate takes of certain titles from the A' Go-Go sessions in the H-D-H and other lps. For instance, A'Go-Go Expanded includes [[Love Is Like A) Heat Wave and It's The Same Old Song from the H-D-H album and Misery Makes Its Home In My Heart, What The World Needs Now Is Love and several more from later albums.

Other times, as with [[You're Gone But) Always In My Heart appearing on H-D-H Extended CD but not on Where Did Our Love Go Extended, recordings have not always appeared in timeline order on the Extended Editions. Too, the A' Go-Go Extended CD includes, oddly, an alternate from I Hear A Symphony Extended. At these times, if you want to listen to related songs, such as Come See About Me and Always In My Heart, as it was known in its 45-B-Side days, you have to pull out two CDs or two vinyl records, which can be inconvenient, and the audio/balance on the two sources may not be the same, so if you put together mix tapes or mix CDs, making the two songs like they come from the same master can be difficult.

In any event, from the first time I heard Too Much A Little Too Soon and Am I Asking Too Much on The Never-Before Released Masters, I recognized that they seemed to be the "missing link" for the Reflections album. Each of the two songs has some of the same moody, vaguely psychedelic sound of, respectively, Bah-Bah-Bah and I'm Gonna Make It [[I Will Wait For You), but each, also, seems akin, rhythmically, to Misery Makes Its Home In My Heart and In And Out Of Love. All exhibit fine examples of Diana's deft phrasing, whether she is weaving long clauses or terse lines into the complex tapestry of the songs individually or the album overall.

That's why I would like to hear these two songs mastered along with the others in a Reflections Expanded Edition: so there would be a seamless audio flow and the convenience of having it all on one CD and especially so the full potential of the album's completeness and cohesiveness could be experienced.
    Beautifully put!

The inclusion of a brand new spankin’ mono Reflections in this recent box gives me hope Reflections Expanded will see the light of day!
    https://www.udiscovermusic.com/news/...-vinyl-series/

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    The inclusion of a brand new spankin’ mono Reflections in this recent box gives me hope Reflections Expanded will see the light of day!
    I wish they were available separately. I really don't want to plunk down $150 bucks for a boxed set when all I want is Reflections.

I wish they were available separately. I really don't want to plunk down $150 bucks for a boxed set when all I want is Reflections.
    I agree. I went to order and you have to get the whole set. I really don’t want to spend $150 for just one album.

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    This box set and "Reflections" in particular was discussed in this thread back in September, if you missed it then.
    Darin

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...ht=motown+mono

Quote Originally Posted by DWSheffer View Post
    This box set and "Reflections" in particular was discussed in this thread back in September, if you missed it then.
    Darin

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...ht=motown+mono
    Thanks! What - if any - is the consensus about this “new” mono mix? Is it markedly different than the mono LP mix of Reflections that’s already out there?

fun topic! and something to help bide the time until Reflections EE Love discussing how the various songs might have been combined into alt versions of the lps. or what tracks left in the vault frankly were more deserving to be on an lp than some of the released material

here are my 2 cents

You're Gone but always in my heart - yes this was recorded in winter 64 and the song could have been included on the WDOLG lp. thankfully it wasn't cuz IMO it's a dud of a song lol. I'm thinking if it had been left in the vaults like I Idolize You or Just Call Me, it would have been included on WDOLG EE. But as they have to try and shoehorn everything they can in, i think they cut You're Gone from WDOLG and figured they'd hold until HDH EE because 1) it appeared on that lp and 2) HDH did some additional recording with the strings in 66. so the original and the alt version could both appear on the EE together

completely agree about Am I Asking. it's definitely a sibling of the Reflections sounds and so I'm assuming it'll most certainly be included there.

Beginning of the End JUST missed the Reflections lp lol. the recording sessions are listed as the day AFTER the lp was released

Seems like the entire recording period for A Go Go and HDH is blurred. Frankly the HDH album is just an extension of the material recorded for A go Go. late 66 is an interesting period in their recording work. in late Sept they did Love Is Here and I Guess I'll Always Love You. then in Oct and Nov they did a little work on My Guy [[with Smokey) and Love Makes Me Do Foolish. They also did Old Love but their vocals erased. that's it, at least according to the data we have so far. All of their remaining recording work was focused on R&H and Broadway/Hollywood. So from the time A Go Go was released, they really didn't record hardly any new tunes.

their version of Love Makes Me Do is quite nice. Sure it's not Martha' original but frankly i prefer it to their cover of Heatwave or It's the same old song. I think LMMDFT would have been a better song to include on HDH, although apparently the track wasn't completed in time

Love reading all this track n recording info..
    I actually like side one but side two seems unfinished.....or rushed.....seems like a few demo were used.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    I agree. I went to order and you have to get the whole set. I really don’t want to spend $150 for just one album.
    Look what I found:
    https://thesoundofvinyl.us/diana-ros...-remaster.html
    $34.98 [[A little steep but better than $150).

Look what I found:
    Thank you so much for finding this and sharing. Do you know how much difference is the mono to the stereo version?

Thank you so much for finding this and sharing. Do you know how much difference is the mono to the stereo version?
    I don't know the difference [[yet). I only have the Mono version of Join and it does have some noticeable differences. I'm pretty sure they are due to narrowing the dynamic range in the fold-down process, since my copy is TamlaMotown from the UK. From what I've read Reflections [[Mono)is a new mix.

This is from Sotosound on the other thread, who was commenting on the original mono release:

The opening track [[“Reflections”) is a dead giveaway.

In mono the electronic effects in the intro are quieter than the music that follows. In mono, as soon as the electronic noise fades the listener is clobbered by the rhythm section, which is dominated by the electric piano and tambourine. It knocks you back on your heels.

In stereo, the music is almost an anti-climax. The electric piano is way down in the mix and the tambourine is drenched in echo. A real let-down.

Since my proper mono album was from the stock remnants that EMI cleared out when they phased out mono, yours won’t be a fold-down either. Ne t’inquiete pas.

I don't know the difference [[yet). I only have the Mono version of Join and it does have some noticeable differences. I'm pretty sure they are due to narrowing the dynamic range in the fold-down process, since my copy is TamlaMotown from the UK. From what I've read Reflections [[Mono)is a new mix.

This is from Sotosound on the other thread, who was commenting on the original mono release:
    Thank you. I am really thinking of ordering it. Since the expanded edition from Universal seems like it’s never being released. We were told not to order from the guy from Germany who was doing the bootlegs. He was selling an expanded edition with mono and stereo. And I passed on it.

Thank you. I am really thinking of ordering it. Since the expanded edition from Universal seems like it’s never being released. We were told not to order from the guy from Germany who was doing the bootlegs. He was selling an expanded edition with mono and stereo. And I passed on it.
    I agree. I avoid bootlegs wherever possible. I can't sit here and profess my love of Motown artists, especially "the girls" and then buy bootlegs that rob them of the little royalties they get, especially the lesser known or struggling artists still performing. I went ahead and ordered it, even though I'm cutting back on buying stuff until after the end of the world, which appears closer every day.

I always liked the sound of Reflections and would have liked the other tracks to have the same psych feel....beep...beep etc...just cool sounding

Come on Universal.....we need this...

Look what I found:
    Only thing is, I can see they're charging you more for the one album at nearly 35.00 vs. getting it for 30.00 if you bought the 5-album set [[30.00 x 5) Still, I totally get what you mean!

A major difference between the mono and stereo versions of Reflections is Love Makes Me Do Foolish Things; the mono LP is a completely alternate vocal...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    A major difference between the mono and stereo versions of Reflections is Love Makes Me Do Foolish Things; the mono LP is a completely alternate vocal...
    Thank you. It may be worth buying it on mono.

Thank you. It may be worth buying it on mono.
    For whatever my 2 cents are worth, "Misery Makes Its Home In My Heart" was the song that made finding the mono album worth it. It has a much more classic Motown mono sound- big, booming, lots of compression. The drums REALLY pop much more in this mix than the stereo version. Also, "Then" actually comes off sounding a bit more exciting than it does on the stereo album. Nothing radically different except a second or two extra on the fade, but it just sounds more vibrant on the mono album.

It looks like many of us are to be quarantined for the next one to six months, unable to go to museums, restaurants, theaters, concert venues, etc., so this would be a perfect time to release this [[and Baby It's Me and others) on CD.

We're all home-bound, so why not make some desired home entertainment available?

I totally agree.we are all home.not sure what the hold up is. I know it was partly cd releases... only digital..

We're all home-bound, so why not make some desired home entertainment available?
    "reflections of the way life used to be". Kinda appropriate, don't you think?