[REMOVE ADS]

Bad Weather whistle

Does anyone know what the whistle heard in Bad Weather signifies please?

..... disco!!!

It's a homage to STOP! In the Name of Love.

Historically, police officers would use whistles for traffic control; telling motorists to slow down or STOP.

I'd always heard it as a nod towards disco, as whistleblowing was the disco thing for a couple of months back then.

The whistles were a disco thing. Beyond that, Mary and Lynda were known to blow their whistles when a fine man walked by. They did it when Mary met Pedro

The whistles were a disco thing. Beyond that, Mary and Lynda were known to blow their whistles when a fine man walked by. They did it when Mary met Pedro

A more clever thing would've been to toy with the sound of rain or lightning or how about a fog horn sounding something like the horn on SUPERSHIP:

Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-03-2024 at 04:29 PM.

I always picture Stevie himself blowing the whistle…

It was Ms. Mary showing you she got this !!!!

I was in attendance for the full week of shows the Supremes performed at Magic Mt in Cal in August 1973. This turned out to be Jean and Lynda's final shows. Mary was the only one of the three who had her whistle. I was amazed that on some nights the audience brought along whistles themselves signifying the records was at least a hit in LA. Some nights the whistling was so great I couldn't hear the song very well.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    I was in attendance for the full week of shows the Supremes performed at Magic Mt in Cal in August 1973. This turned out to be Jean and Lynda's final shows. Mary was the only one of the three who had her whistle. I was amazed that on some nights the audience brought along whistles themselves signifying the records was at least a hit in LA. Some nights the whistling was so great I couldn't hear the song very well.
    Sounds like my idea of hell lol.

Like, it could be warning folks about risks or calling for help. Or it might be tied to stuff going on nearby, like construction or emergency services doing their thing.

During the time period that Bad Weather came out, I can remember my older sister carrying a whistle in her pocketbook in case she went out after work. It was the rage here at the clubs. That's one of the reasons why I wonder Bad Weather wasn't a bigger hit, even without the promotion since it was one of a few songs that had a whistle in it.

When I saw The Supremes in concert in London, before "Bad Weather" was performed a limited number of whistles were handed out to selected members of the audience.

Wow had no idea the whistle had become such a thing regarding this song.

Have I ever given its presence on the record much thought?

Certainly contrived and at odds with the sentiments .... but then so is the whole dancibility of it . ....
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-13-2024 at 01:48 PM.