[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 ... LastLast

Reflections Expanded Edition

Do we have any official word about the next expanded edition? I would assume its Reflections since Rogers and Hart was given a somewhat expanded release a few years ago. Barring an omnibus release including Liverpool, Country & Western, Disney, etc. Reflections should be next in line. I dare not ask about timing, but things sure seem to have sped up since A Go Go, which is still my favorite one.
    Last edited by thanxal; 08-08-2018 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Do we have any official word about the next expanded edition? I would assume its Reflections since Rogers and Hart was given a somewhat expanded release a few years ago. Barring an omnibus release including Liverpool, Country & Western, Disney, etc. Reflections should be next in line. I dare not ask about timing, but things sure seem to have sped up since A Go Go, which is still my one.
    And what's the one after that and the one after that?

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    One would assume Love Child, then Let the Sunshine In and then Cream of the Crop.
    Funny Girl got a digital release a few years ago. I would assume there won't be an expanded edition of the live albums [[Talk of the Town, TCB, GIT). I'm sure future expanded editions are dependent on the amount of vault material Andy, George and co. have to work with.
    Last edited by thanxal; 08-08-2018 at 01:39 PM.

they are dependent on people opening their wallets and buying them so please continue to do so..If you don't have H/D/H yet, get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    they are dependent on people opening their wallets and buying them so please continue to do so..If you don't have H/D/H yet, get it!
    That too!
    I've bought 2 copies of each set since More Hits. I could kick myself for not getting 2 copies of WDOLG. I play one and keep the other sealed.

there was no specific mention or call-out in the booklet for Sing HDH Expanded about "coming soon" or "be on the look-out"

They have done this in the past on occasion. not always.

I do think we could assume that they're working on something. what that is, i don't know. I was surprised that they did another set on the Xmas stuff but it was timely, given the holidays, they had some new material to make it unique and, from what we've heard, the Xmas stuff always sells well

and then they did Diana Sings Wiz sort of in time with the Wiz live broadcast on tv.

there's been talk that Ross 78 is in the works. Reflections would be an obvious next Expanded Edition. But the next actual lp was Sing Rodgers & Hart. they've released 2 expanded editions already - on cd in the 80s with 24 tracks and then another more recently with all 25 plus the Lady Tramp medley from Copa 67. But two of the tracks are different takes - I know one was Bewitched with totally different background vocals. Are there any other alt versions?

And they've not done the specialty albums of Sing CW&P, Sam Cooke, Liverpool.

Another question - is there really enough material for the DRATS albums to warrant expanded editions of each lp? it's not like they were really focusing on a concept like the Symphony set. it was mostly ongoing recording [[primarily with just Diana) and then let's grab the recent singles and fill out an lp. So does the remaining vault material really line up for individual DRATS lp expanded editions?

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    there was no specific mention or call-out in the booklet for Sing HDH Expanded about "coming soon" or "be on the look-out"

They have done this in the past on occasion. not always.

I do think we could assume that they're working on something. what that is, i don't know. I was surprised that they did another set on the Xmas stuff but it was timely, given the holidays, they had some new material to make it unique and, from what we've heard, the Xmas stuff always sells well

and then they did Diana Sings Wiz sort of in time with the Wiz live broadcast on tv.

there's been talk that Ross 78 is in the works. Reflections would be an obvious next Expanded Edition. But the next actual lp was Sing Rodgers & Hart. they've released 2 expanded editions already - on cd in the 80s with 24 tracks and then another more recently with all 25 plus the Lady Tramp medley from Copa 67. But two of the tracks are different takes - I know one was Bewitched with totally different background vocals. Are there any other alt versions?

And they've not done the specialty albums of Sing CW&P, Sam Cooke, Liverpool.

Another question - is there really enough material for the DRATS albums to warrant expanded editions of each lp? it's not like they were really focusing on a concept like the Symphony set. it was mostly ongoing recording [[primarily with just Diana) and then let's grab the recent singles and fill out an lp. So does the remaining vault material really line up for individual DRATS lp expanded editions?
    I can't imagine a two-disc version of any of the DRATS albums, unless they would include Talk of the Town on the Reflections set. I would certainly buy a one disc set of any of the DRATS albums remastered with some alternate takes/unreleased tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post

I got your point Paul. Having worked on several splendid cd re-issues yourself, you know and appreciate the hard work and great deal of time involved in such a project.
    Poor Andy, George, Kevin & Harry, sometimes we don't realize the pressure we place on them. Their aim is to please but there are so many obstacles in the way. And at times, we, fans, don't make it any easier for them.
    I agree that one of the best ways we can keep such releases coming is to support them with our wallets and to invite others to buy or legally download/stream them.
    Last edited by luckyluckyme; 08-08-2018 at 03:19 PM.

is there really enough material for the DRATS albums to warrant expanded editions of each lp?...So does the remaining vault material really line up for individual DRATS lp expanded editions?
    It may very well not, which was why I raised it as a limiting factor down thread. Even if sales remain in the range to warrant more editions, they may not have the vault material to fill out LTSI and CotC. But Andy and George always have surprises up their sleeves. My guess is that none of the specialty albums or the live albums from the DRATS period would be big enough sellers to warrant an expanded edition, unless 2-3 albums were combined on one set with a few alternate takes.

Just speculating here.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    I got your point Paul. Having worked on several splendid cd re-issues yourself, you know and appreciate the hard work and great deal of time involved in such a project.
    Poor Andy, George, Kevin & Harry, sometimes we don't realize the pressure we place on them. Their aim is to please but there are so many obstacles in the way. And at times, we, fans, don't make it any easier for them.
    I agree that one of the best ways we can keep such releases coming is to support them with our wallets and to invite others to buy or legally download/stream them.
    It does seem a tad disrespectful to demand product, then upon receipt of it, cry " What's next?" So soon.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    I didn't read that as sarcastic, but if it were meant that way, should we not let Universal know how much we want these? I was asking a simple question, not demanding the next edition be released next month.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    It does seem a tad disrespectful to demand product, then upon receipt of it, cry " What's next?" So soon.
    Who was "demanding" anything? I've always been appreciative of Andy and George's work and don't recall ever complaining of time lines.

I’M demanding ALL EDITIONS IMMEDIATELY - NO EXCUSES!

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Who was "demanding" anything? I've always been appreciative of Andy and George's work and don't recall ever complaining of time lines.
    Who said I was referring to you?

Also when did the albums stop being released in mono and stereo? or are there any significant track differences between the S and M releases?

We know that they have unreleased material like Disney, various live shows, the TV specials. They did include on More Hits the medley from Where The Action Is. perhaps they'd include some of their tv [[non TCB and GIT) work. if they can get the rights

I'd also be interested in how the live show evolved over the DRATS era. the Talk of Town was recorded during early 68 on the Europe tour. not sure of exact month off the top of my head. That was a totally new show from the Copa 67 show or the hollywood bowl show which has circulated via bootlegs. So between May 67 and spring 68, where there any other significant changes to their show - doubt it

then we have farewell from Jan 70. So between spring 68 and Jan 70, how did the show change? when was Aquarius introduced? was it maybe just introduced as a regular song but then evolved into the huge group sing-a-long that we got on Farewell? Did the Funny Girl medley enter their act for a while?

Quote Originally Posted by themotownmaniac View Post
    i’m demanding all editions immediately - no excuses!
    lol !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thornton View Post
    I can't imagine a two-disc version of any of the DRATS albums, unless they would include Talk of the Town on the Reflections set. I would certainly buy a one disc set of any of the DRATS albums remastered with some alternate takes/unreleased tracks.
    For Reflections my guess would be there is plenty of alternate versions/Mixes for 2 CD expanded edition. However, I am sure there will included a unreleased live show with a few alternate takes. I really hope this is not the case. I hope Reflections is like A Go-Go with tons of alternate mixes/versions and no live recordings. My hope would be that they do an unreleased live show for Love Child so we can at least get a double cd out of that album with a few alternate mixes to fill it up. After that I doubt there is enough material to fill up 2 cds for the remaining albums. Something I wish they would have done with the Expanded Editions, taking way the live recordings from Meet The Supremes, Where Did Our Love Go and More Hits they could have included A Bit Of Liverpool paired with Where Did Our Love Go Expanded, Sing Country, Western & Pop With Meet The Supremes and We Remember Sam Cooke With More Hits. They would have fit minus the live recordings.

Also when did the albums stop being released in mono and stereo? or are there any significant track differences between the S and M releases?

We know that they have unreleased material like Disney, various live shows, the TV specials. They did include on More Hits the medley from Where The Action Is. perhaps they'd include some of their tv [[non TCB and GIT) work. if they can get the rights

I'd also be interested in how the live show evolved over the DRATS era. the Talk of Town was recorded during early 68 on the Europe tour. not sure of exact month off the top of my head. That was a totally new show from the Copa 67 show or the hollywood bowl show which has circulated via bootlegs. So between May 67 and spring 68, where there any other significant changes to their show - doubt it

then we have farewell from Jan 70. So between spring 68 and Jan 70, how did the show change? when was Aquarius introduced? was it maybe just introduced as a regular song but then evolved into the huge group sing-a-long that we got on Farewell? Did the Funny Girl medley enter their act for a while?
    I would be interested as well. We don't have any live recordings of "Some Things You Never Get Used To," "I'm Livin' In shame," "The Composer," or "No Matter What Sign You Are" to my knowledge. The live version of "Love Child" from the Farewell concert is not their strongest showing either, so an alternate live version would be welcome. I haven't heard even an excerpt of one of their concerts between "Talk of the Town" and "Farewell."

it's surprising that there aren't more fan bootlegs floating around.

I have an old cassette tape of some potential Live Live Live tracks - i think it was labeled being recorded at 20 Grand? i'd have to dig it out. if my memory serves me well, they do pretty much the same songs like WDOLG, People, You're heart belongs. But what sticks out in my memory is the way Flo ad libbed and ended People. I remember it being different from what we're received on these expanded editions. so i need to go back and listen again.

then there was the supposed Roostertail 66 live show bootleg but really was as mashup between Roosertail and Copa 65.

anyway that's really it when it comes to bootlegs of live shows with Diana. i'm surprised there isn't stuff floating around from the later DRATS era or anything from their long farewell tour.

People have speculated on here if Some Things, Composer, Sign were ever really introduced into the live act. the general consensus is if they were, it was brief. and potentially maybe they never were

Quote Originally Posted by aarondillon2011@gmail.com View Post
    For Reflections my guess would be there is plenty of alternate versions/Mixes for 2 CD expanded edition. However, I am sure there will included a unreleased live show with a few alternate takes. I really hope this is not the case. I hope Reflections is like A Go-Go with tons of alternate mixes/versions and no live recordings. My hope would be that they do an unreleased live show for Love Child so we can at least get a double cd out of that album with a few alternate mixes to fill it up. After that I doubt there is enough material to fill up 2 cds for the remaining albums. Something I wish they would have done with the Expanded Editions, taking way the live recordings from Meet The Supremes, Where Did Our Love Go and More Hits they could have included A Bit Of Liverpool paired with Where Did Our Love Go Expanded, Sing Country, Western & Pop With Meet The Supremes and We Remember Sam Cooke With More Hits. They would have fit minus the live recordings.
    I love the live shows and I wouldn't change a thing from the previous expanded editions. IMO. I prefer not to have other albums added.

the supremes were practically as much as about image and presentation as they were with what they delivered on vinyl. To not have the live shows and videos really eliminates an integral part of the whole supremes magic.

it is hard to realize today but, as has been heavily quoted, the image of female black artists was extremely limited. the public view was somewhat limited with either Mammy or Prissy stereotypes. Few movies or tv programs showed them as educated, glamorous, sophisticated, powerful, strong women. The Supremes were truly revolutionary in changing this throughout US and global media.

diana has said the Supremes were some of the first black women that men [[black and white) could see in the broad media and find as beautiful, sexy, alluring, erotic. Sure there were gorgeous and talented women ahead of the Sups. but never on the global scale across all forms of media - billboards, music, tv, movies, magazine covers, posters, displays in mainstream stores, nightclubs, sock hops, arenas, etc.

I don’t really care for any DRATS expanded editions because the material on these released albums were so mediocre and besides, by this point it wasn’t really Diana Ross and the Supremes but Diana Ross and studio background singers.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveSupreme View Post
    I don’t really care for any DRATS expanded editions because the material on these released albums were so mediocre and besides, by this point it wasn’t really Diana Ross and the Supremes but Diana Ross and studio background singers.
    Yeah, as far and Mary and Cindy are concerned we know they are only on 3 cuts from Love Child. Let The Sunshine Mary and Cindy on Will This Be The Day, Mary and Marlene on What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted, and Everyday People and Hey Western Union Man I don't know. Cream of The Crop I'm not sure but prob 2-3 cuts of actual Supremes.

I love the live albums and insist on more More MORE!!!

Anyone NOT wanting them is just plain wrong - and I can prove it because, I, I, I DO want them! Now that THAT’S settled, i’m Happy for alternate vocals, arrangements, backgrounds etc of even the mediocrist* DR&TS material [[of which there is lots) just for the few nuggets of gold to be mined. You have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince.

I ‘I love the live variations because I dig hearing how they evolved - I want it all and I want it now. I don’t give a hoot who’s on bg because 3 of my fave records dont have Mary & Flo on them and they are perfect and iconic with a The A’s, Waters’ or Mary ‘n Marlene. It didn’t matter to the public either - a good record is a good record regardless of who’s on bg - if it’s a good bg - it’s a good bg - period.

i think the boys are doing a great job and I’m gratefully supporting every drop of previously unreleased anything. CD or, .......gulp - .......even digital.

*Yes, that’s a word...........now.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I love the live albums and insist on more More MORE!!!

Anyone NOT wanting them is just plain wrong - and I can prove it because, I, I, I DO want them! Now that THAT’S settled, i’m Happy for alternate vocals, arrangements, backgrounds etc of even the mediocrist* DR&TS material [[of which there is lots) just for the few nuggets of gold to be mined. You have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince.

I ‘I love the live variations because I dig hearing how they evolved - I want it all and I want it now. I don’t give a hoot who’s on bg because 3 of my fave records dont have Mary & Flo on them and they are perfect and iconic with a The A’s, Waters’ or Mary ‘n Marlene. It didn’t matter to the public either - a good record is a good record regardless of who’s on bg - if it’s a good bg - it’s a good bg - period.

i think the boys are doing a great job and I’m gratefully supporting every drop of previously unreleased anything. CD or, .......gulp - .......even digital.

*Yes, that’s a word...........now.
    Thank you. I agree 💯

People have speculated on here if Some Things, Composer, Sign were ever really introduced into the live act. the general consensus is if they were, it was brief. and potentially maybe they never were
    "Forever Came Today," "Some Things You Never Get Used To," and "I'm Living In Shame" were all in their live act for brief moments, but taken out when the songs weren't the smash hits Motown hoped they would be. Some on here have said they saw them do "Some Things" in the summer of '68 and Cindy has said they did "Living In Shame" for a bit, but was taken out because Diana didn't like singing it.

Reflections was the last Supremes album to have a mono and stereo mix. Surprisingly, I have never heard the mono mix of the album. I have the 1991 CD which is the stereo mix and the two LP copies I own are also stereo. I do know "Love [[Makes Me Do Foolish Things)" on the mono mix of the album has a different Diana vocal.

I may be in the minority here, but I would love to see an expanded edition of the Sing Rodgers & Hart album. The mono mix of the album hasn't been released on CD. The 1987 Rodgers & Hart Collection were new mixes. The 2002 CD reissue was the stereo album with the bonus tracks culled from the 80's Rodgers & Hart Collection mixes. I would love to see the mono and stereo mixes remastered on disc one and brand new mixes of all the tracks on disc two.

Reflections was NOT the last Supremes album to have a mono and stereo mix.
    Both Love Child And Sing And Perform Funny Girl were released in mono as Promotional Releases to DJs. Perhaps tracks recorded for Some Things You Never Get Used To &
    Sing & Perform The Disney Classics might also have both mixes.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Reflections was the last Supremes album to have a mono and stereo mix. Surprisingly, I have never heard the mono mix of the album. I have the 1991 CD which is the stereo mix and the two LP copies I own are also stereo. I do know "Love [[Makes Me Do Foolish Things)" on the mono mix of the album has a different Diana vocal.
    I finally tracked down a mono mix of the Reflections album last year. There are a few differences here and there, but the two that stood out to my ears were the Smokey songs, "Then" [[a bit longer on the fade out) and "Misery Makes Its Home In My Heart", which has a fantastic mid 60's sound. The drums seem to really pop in a way I didn't get on the stereo mix. I've never really played this album that much in its stereo mix and I guess the mono mix didn't change my opinion much, but I do enjoy having it all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post

I may be in the minority here, but I would love to see an expanded edition of the Sing Rodgers & Hart album. The mono mix of the album hasn't been released on CD. The 1987 Rodgers & Hart Collection were new mixes. The 2002 CD reissue was the stereo album with the bonus tracks culled from the 80's Rodgers & Hart Collection mixes. I would love to see the mono and stereo mixes remastered on disc one and brand new mixes of all the tracks on disc two.
    I totally agree. Florence and Mary have never sounded better then on this album and their featured on every song. I thought the remastering on the 2002 release sounded a little cold so would love for another remaster with anything new to be found. Perhaps Florence singing "Manhattan".

Quote Originally Posted by noel181 View Post
    Both Love Child And Sing And Perform Funny Girl were released in mono as Promotional Releases to DJs. Perhaps tracks recorded for Some Things You Never Get Used To &
    I have a mono version of the THE SUPREMES JOIN THE TEMPTS album as well.

it might be that Reflections was the last album to have two versions released with differences in the tracks. i probably won't get the technical language right but perhaps after Reflections the mono albums are simply the stereo versions that have been adjusted for the difference vs two separate albums.

It is widely believed those promotional DJ releases were fold-down mono of the stereo mixes. I doubt Motown was going to spend a lot of time mixing the albums in mono if it was focused strictly on releasing stereo albums publicly.

^that's the wording i was looking for lol

Monaural technology was slipping to second tier status by the late 60s. the public was shifting to stereo when purchasing speakers and equipment.

Regarding the song LOVE CHILD I have a note that this track from the promotional release is an alternate version from the stereo album. I don't know where I got this information from but possibly either the Motown Forum or Motown Treasures.
    According to DFTMC the first pressing in mono was unreleased. The second pressing in mono was released as the 45 single. The stereo album is version 3.
    Therefore it could be that the mono promo LP has the first pressing.
    So the others maybe fold-down tracks but this track is not.

I hope the "Reflections" EE includes the cover art with Flo/Cindy combined.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I hope the "Reflections" EE includes the cover art with Flo/Cindy combined.
    Is this what was on the original release or is it something different? I've never seen any alternate cover art for Reflections.

I've heard about the ALTERNATE cover that has Flo. You'd have to take a chance and peel your cover off and look to see if you have a copy with the used cover slapped on top of the original. Very BEATLE like mystery.

yes there is an image that was used on motown 45 sleeves that showed an early mockup of the album art. it seems truly odd as reflections [[the single) wasn't even released until AFTER flo was officially out of the group. much less become a hit and the title track to a full lp. and the lp wasn't released until March 68. Flo definitely wasn't coming back. so to have an initial album mockup like this is puzzling.

i've wondered if it wasn't just a mistake. whomever was working on the lp art, pulled it together but then someone was like - what? are you an idiot? and the graphics were rightfully changed.

but then when another person was compiling all of the lp images for the next set of 45 sleeves, they grabbed the wrong art file

it has been said that some of the released lps had the NEW artwork pasted over the old. which would mean that the art was still in place all the way up to the initial print runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Fourtopsbiggestfan View Post
    I've heard about the ALTERNATE cover that has Flo. You'd have to take a chance and peel your cover off and look to see if you have a copy with the used cover slapped on top of the original. Very BEATLE like mystery.
    If you kept peeling, would you eventually find Jimmy Hoffa?

Thanks, I never knew about this piece of Supremes intrigue.

I tried to find the cover art, but found this thread from 2014 instead:

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...tions-LP-Cover

It makes sense that Florence was on the cover. Even though she was fired from the Supremes, she was still under contract to Motown. Diana was still mentioning her in some of the early interviews as well. In addition she was on the first two DRATS singles A and B sides plus they pulled a Meet the Supremes song for the B-side of Forever Came today. Having said all of this I think they wanted to be she was gone and that Cindy would really work before they really moved on. I think Flo signed her release around February of 68 or so. Reflections the album was released in March. By this time Cindy was fully in place so it was safe to remove Flo and consequently try to erase her

Just throwing this thought out there. What if instead of "Reflections" [[Expanded), "Love Child" [[Expanded), "Let the Sunshine In" [[Expanded) and "Cream of the Crop" [[Expanded) that the route taken is similar to what was done with the '70s Supremes with a two-part anthology. Part One could have "Reflections" and "Love Child" along with "Talk of the Town" and perhaps other live material. And Part Two could be "Let the Sunshine In" and "Cream of the Crop" along with an expanded "Farewell."
    Just wondering if that is something under consideration by Andy, George, etc.

^one difference between the DRATS albums and the 70s albums is that the actual albums themselves for DRATS are available digitally today whereas the 70s had not been released. you can go right now to itunes and download all 4 albums. Now if there are some audio differences between mono and stereo, those are not captured. and of course all of the editorial content and unreleased material..

but similar to your idea might be doing some sort of L&F overview of the DRATS era

Maniac wants everything released and is grateful. He has passed the Motown /Supremes litmus test!

^one difference between the DRATS albums and the 70s albums is that the actual albums themselves for DRATS are available digitally today whereas the 70s had not been released. you can go right now to itunes and download all 4 albums. Now if there are some audio differences between mono and stereo, those are not captured. and of course all of the editorial content and unreleased material..

but similar to your idea might be doing some sort of L&F overview of the DRATS era
    I am not sure that I understand. Are you saying that The 70s Supremes are not available digitally? In fact, they are all available on iTunes including their compilations with Four Tops and the two "box-booklet" sets.

it's surprising that there aren't more fan bootlegs floating around.

I have an old cassette tape of some potential Live Live Live tracks - i think it was labeled being recorded at 20 Grand? i'd have to dig it out. if my memory serves me well, they do pretty much the same songs like WDOLG, People, You're heart belongs. But what sticks out in my memory is the way Flo ad libbed and ended People. I remember it being different from what we're received on these expanded editions. so i need to go back and listen again.

then there was the supposed Roostertail 66 live show bootleg but really was as mashup between Roosertail and Copa 65.

anyway that's really it when it comes to bootlegs of live shows with Diana. i'm surprised there isn't stuff floating around from the later DRATS era or anything from their long farewell tour.

There are ... good quality too c/w bookletsName:  665a.jpg
Views: 6042
Size:  95.1 KB

Includes the Mono & Stereo albums, a few bonus tracks and a live set "Live In Europe, 1968 - At the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam, 4th March 1968"

Name:  665b.jpg
Views: 6356
Size:  90.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by booty View Post
    There are ... good quality too c/w bookletsName:  665a.jpg
Views: 6042
Size:  95.1 KB

Includes the Mono & Stereo albums, a few bonus tracks and a live set "Live In Europe, 1968 - At the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam, 4th March 1968"

Name:  665b.jpg
Views: 6356
Size:  90.5 KB
    They performed that concert two days before I was born!!!

Hi —
    Without sounding ungrateful for the expanded “Sing H-D-H,” I am wondering if anyone has seen/read anything about “Reflections Expanded”? I am not on Facebook so am not able to view posts/hints there. I don’t know if George Solomon will see this thread, but I would appreciate any kind of update. Thank you very much.

I can just say we're working hard to continue the expanded editions. Creatively, it's not a problem. Where Universal is concerned it's a waiting game for all of us. Please know that if there's something official to announce we will happily do it!