[REMOVE ADS]

Does Your Mama Know About Me [[from Love Child, 1968)

I always loved this version of this Bobby Taylor classic.
    Last edited by midnightman; 08-06-2018 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post

I always loved this version of this Billy Taylor classic.
    I love it too, but no version can really compare to the classic original which is in my all time top 10 of Motown songs.

That's true. But I felt like posting the DR&TS version.

Midnight, if you think Billy Taylor's version is classic, you should hear what Bobby Taylor did with it.

I think if Bobby hadn't had a hit with it that this version could've been mixed for a single and been a good followup to "Love Child", although my money is still on "Keep An Eye" being the best followup from the album.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Midnight, if you think Billy Taylor's version is classic, you should hear what Bobby Taylor did with it.

I think if Bobby hadn't had a hit with it that this version could've been mixed for a single and been a good followup to "Love Child", although my money is still on "Keep An Eye" being the best followup from the album.
    JFC lmao...

I just need to read what I post. LOL

It sounds to me like Valerie Simpson is playing piano on this song. Anybody have any info?

I like the Diana Ross and the Supremes version but I love the Bobby Taylor version. It is one of my all time favorite songs.

i think they do a fine job on the song but frankly i've just never really liked the song much to begin with.

is it the a andantes or cindy and mary

I must have been living a sheltered Top 40 life in 1968. I had never heard of Bobby Taylor and I thought Does Your Mama Know About Me was a new song written for the Love Child album. Now I find out Bobby Taylor & the Vancouvers' hit made it into the Pop Top 30.
    I like both but I'm partial to Diana's interpretation. It fit in so well with the album. I've said before that I think the first four songs of Love Child are the best four tracks to ever open a Supremes album. Yes, I agree Keep An Eye would have been an awesome follow-up single [[far superior to Living In Shame). I think How Long Has That Evening Train Been Gone? would have been great, too. Or how about a double A-side single of Keep An Eye/Does Your Mama Know About Me? Given DRATS global popularity, I think listeners of more Top 40 Pop stations would have been introduced to and would have embraced these songs.

it's been interesting to hypothesize what additional tracks could have been added to the LC lp that would have kept it within 1 theme. There are a bunch of other tracks that could have been included but the problem is that the record becomes depressing. it would have been an extremely heavy lp and might have had troubles selling.

Look at what Marvin did with the What's Going On lp. all of the songs and lyrics focus on issues but there's wonderful variety in tone, approach, style. that's what helps make it work

Potential songs for Love Child lp that would have been "socially relevant or serious" include:

Love Child
    Keep an eye
    how long evening train
    Does your mama know about me
    Beginning of the end of love
    Blowin in the wind
    In the evening of our love
    wish i knew
    aint' no sun
    what becomes of the brokenhearted
    shadows of society [[i think they didn't finish this track in time, but they could have)
    macarthur park
    if you should walk away

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    it's been interesting to hypothesize what additional tracks could have been added to the LC lp that would have kept it within 1 theme. There are a bunch of other tracks that could have been included but the problem is that the record becomes depressing. it would have been an extremely heavy lp and might have had troubles selling.

Look at what Marvin did with the What's Going On lp. all of the songs and lyrics focus on issues but there's wonderful variety in tone, approach, style. that's what helps make it work

Potential songs for Love Child lp that would have been "socially relevant or serious" include:

Love Child
    Keep an eye
    how long evening train
    Does your mama know about me
    Beginning of the end of love
    Blowin in the wind
    In the evening of our love
    wish i knew
    aint' no sun
    what becomes of the brokenhearted
    shadows of society [[i think they didn't finish this track in time, but they could have)
    macarthur park
    if you should walk away
    I agree that a concept album would have been really interesting. I have my own "Love Child" mix, but I don't factor in recording dates. I'm sure the actual LP could have never looked like this, but I like the songs together.

Side A:
    1. Love Child
    2. Keep An Eye
    3. How Long Has That Evening Train Been Gone?
    4. Does Your Mama Know About Me?
    5. Some Things You Never Get Used To
    6. The Beginning of the End of Love
    Side B:
    7. I'm Livin' In Shame
    8. Shadows of Society
    9. The Young Folks
    10. Stormy
    11. [[Don't Break These) Chains of Love
    12. I'll Set You Free

I don't know why I like coming up with these alt mixes, but I guess it's fun to reimagine what some of the DRATS albums could have looked like.

Quote Originally Posted by Thornton View Post
    I agree that a concept album would have been really interesting. I have my own "Love Child" mix, but I don't factor in recording dates. I'm sure the actual LP could have never looked like this, but I like the songs together.

Side A:
    1. Love Child
    2. Keep An Eye
    3. How Long Has That Evening Train Been Gone?
    5. Some Things You Never Get Used To
    6. The Beginning of the End of Love
    Side B:
    7. I'm Livin' In Shame
    8. Shadows of Society
    9. The Young Folks
    10. Stormy
    11. [[Don't Break These) Chains of Love
    12. I'll Set You Free

I don't know why I like coming up with these alt mixes, but I guess it's fun to reimagine what some of the DRATS albums could have looked like.
    That's why God invented playlists! I have my own versions of albums in my I-Tunes library.
    Side One:
    1. Love Child
    2. How Long Has That Evening Train Been Gone?
    3. Keep An Eye
    5. Hey, Western Union Man
    6. I'll Set You Free
    Side Two:
    1. Somethings You Never Get Used To
    2. Stormy
    3. Bah Bah Bah
    4. You Ain't Livin' Til You're Lovin'
    5. [[Don't Break These) Chains of Love
    6. Can't Shake It Loose

Yeah, I know Bah Bah Bah was on Reflection but it fits the mood. Besides, it's my house and I live here.

hahaha - i love making my own playlists. especially since i found the released versions of the DRATS albums to be less than inspired. actually i went back as far as A Go Go and redid each album. i think i also correctly adjusted each so that if i used a track on a revised lp, it was no longer "available" for a later album redo

here's my Love Child lp [[you'll notice a few Reflections tracks since i redid that LP and they were free to use here)

Love Child
    Keep an eye
    Evening Train
    Does your mama
    blowing in the wind
    The beginning of the end of love

what the world needs now
    in the evening of our love
    Wish i knew
    ain't no sun
    what becomes of the broken hearted
    if you should walk away

"Bah Bah Bah" definitely fits the "Love Child" album aesthetic. I also like that it includes Mary and Cindy.

love how in A Go Go expanded booklet, they list an early proposed lp lineup. made a playlist of that too!

here are some of my others

A Go Go - i kept the dance theme but picked up the pace.
    Itchin
    This old heart
    YCHL
    Mother Dear version 3
    In My Lonely Room
    Just a little misunderstanding

Going down 3rd time
    shake me wake me
    get ready
    don't let true love die
    money
    there's no stopping us now

Sing HDH
    YKMHO
    Mickey's monkey
    love is here
    mother you smother you
    put yourself in my place
    i guess i'll always love you

I'll turn to stone
    it's the same old song
    love is in our hearts
    remove this doubt
    come and get these memories
    heatwave

reflections lp sort of the Supremes tribute to the California scene. psychedlic and sunshine pop. 1 is 5 psych songs and 1 sunshine. while side 2 is 5 sunshine and 1 psych. sort of like how they mixed MOR and motown on Symphony lp

reflections
    im gonna make it
    i can't make it alone
    in and out of love
    can't shake it loose
    ode to billie joe

forever came today
    it's going all the way to true true love
    am i asking too much
    misery makes its home
    a little breeze
    bah bah bah

Somethings lp purely a r&b pop album
    Somethings you never get used to
    he's my sunny boy
    you've been so wonderful
    with a child's heart
    heaven must have sent you
    Treat me nice john henry

I can't give back the love
    michelle
    you aint' livin till you're lovin
    send me no flowers
    the nitty gritty
    chains of love

Sunshine in lp pop album heavy on covers
    Aquarius
    composer
    hey western union man
    i'm livin in shame
    no matter what sign
    will this be the day

autumn leaves
    are you sure love in the name of this game
    hey jude
    macarthur park
    everyday people

Cream of crop a more mature sound from the group.
    Someday
    you gave me love
    stormy
    you're gonna hear from me
    till johnny comes
    i'm so glad i got somebody

discover me
    loving you is better than ever
    when it's to the top
    the beginning of the end
    the look of love
    i'll set you free
    Last edited by sup_fan; 08-07-2018 at 11:57 AM.

hahaha - i love making my own playlists. especially since i found the released versions of the DRATS albums to be less than inspired. actually i went back as far as A Go Go and redid each album. i think i also correctly adjusted each so that if i used a track on a revised lp, it was no longer "available" for a later album redo

here's my Love Child lp [[you'll notice a few Reflections tracks since i redid that LP and they were free to use here)
    So great to see how other Supremes fans hear or like to hear the music. Yeah, the released Motown albums did seem "less than inspired" and padded with "filler", especially after I Hear A Symphony [[I liked the mix of Motown and MOR on that album. It introduced the so-called "standards" to this young junior-high schoolboy). I wouldn't change More Hits or Where Did Our Love Go [[except replacing one of the tracks with Always In My Heart).

I love the Bobby Taylor version, however, my favorite [[if I have to choose) is Diana's version.

here are some of my others
    I like and understand how you were thinking I've really got to look up and listen to all the previously unreleased/"lost & found" tracks you've listed.
    re: A' Go Go: I agree Put Yourself In My Place is a much better fit on Sing HDH.
    re: Sing HDH: It's the Same Old Song and Heat Wave I think fit better on A' Go Go. [[To tell the truth, I'm not crazy about them). I'm not crazy about Come & Get These Memories but I guess it's nice to have another Supreme sing lead for a change.
    re: Reflections: I think Motown missed a great opportunity not putting the single on the blue and gold Greatest Hits double-album set and releasing the album as Reflections: Diana Ross & the Supremes Greatest Hits, Volumes 1 & 2. Then it might have sold a gazillion more than the gazillions it did and maybe top the chart for more than two months:
    I thinks it's insane that Motown ever thought of releasing What the World Needs Now Is Love as a single. HUH?! If reworked, it may have worked, as it was around the time after the Summer of Love [[1967), the flower children, the peace/no war movement. I think it would fit in with your "California scene/sunshine pop/psychedelic" album along with In and Out of Love and Forever Came today, although I fear it wouldn't have sold well without a strong single.
    re: Somethings You Never Get Used To: It's like getting a whole new DRATS album!
    re: Let The Sunshine In: I like the album cover graphics
    re: Cream of the Crop: love, love love You Gave Me Love, Loving You Is Better Than Ever, Till Johnny Comes. Also, I'll Set You Free, which I always thought sounded like a precursor to the songs the Corporation would fashion for the Jackson 5. You placed it as the last song of the last DRATS studio album. Nice, because it was the end of an era and around the same time I Want You Back was about to herald the flashy beginning of a new Motown dynasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Thornton View Post
    "Bah Bah Bah" definitely fits the "Love Child" album aesthetic. I also like that it includes Mary and Cindy.
    Exactly. And Diana, Mary & Cindy looked so great together on the Love Child album cover.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    Exactly. And Diana, Mary & Cindy looked so great together on the Love Child album cover.
    good call on that one! i could see if fitting there too. I wonder if there are any other psychedelic tracks in the vault.

i've gained a bit of new respect for the Reflections lp and tracks like In And Out Of Love. frankly i never really liked that track and felt it was sort of a throw away. it seems so different, stylistically, from Reflections, forever, I can't make it alone, and the others.

then one day i was playing in wikipedia and was reading about In and out. They categorized it as Sunshine Pop which was defined by the California sounds of Mamas and Papas, Beach Boys, 5th Dimension and others.

And we know that the psychedelic movement was based primarily in San Fran. So now the lp makes much more sense. like HDH and the girls are doing a tribute to the various styles and musical statements coming out of Calif.

in light of this, the original lp lineup does make a bit more sense. not that every track is my favorite, but at least i sort of get what they were going for

Maybe Love Makes Me Do and Then aren't quite as strong in this "CA theme" as maybe Am I Asking Too Much and A Little Breeze

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    I like and understand how you were thinking I've really got to look up and listen to all the previously unreleased/"lost & found" tracks you've listed.
    re: A' Go Go: I agree Put Yourself In My Place is a much better fit on Sing HDH.
    re: Sing HDH: It's the Same Old Song and Heat Wave I think fit better on A' Go Go. [[To tell the truth, I'm not crazy about them). I'm not crazy about Come & Get These Memories but I guess it's nice to have another Supreme sing lead for a change.
    re: Reflections: I think Motown missed a great opportunity not putting the single on the blue and gold Greatest Hits double-album set and releasing the album as Reflections: Diana Ross & the Supremes Greatest Hits, Volumes 1 & 2. Then it might have sold a gazillion more than the gazillions it did and maybe top the chart for more than two months:
    I thinks it's insane that Motown ever thought of releasing What the World Needs Now Is Love as a single. HUH?! If reworked, it may have worked, as it was around the time after the Summer of Love [[1967), the flower children, the peace/no war movement. I think it would fit in with your "California scene/sunshine pop/psychedelic" album along with In and Out of Love and Forever Came today, although I fear it wouldn't have sold well without a strong single.
    re: Somethings You Never Get Used To: It's like getting a whole new DRATS album!
    re: Let The Sunshine In: I like the album cover graphics
    re: Cream of the Crop: love, love love You Gave Me Love, Loving You Is Better Than Ever, Till Johnny Comes. Also, I'll Set You Free, which I always thought sounded like a precursor to the songs the Corporation would fashion for the Jackson 5. You placed it as the last song of the last DRATS studio album. Nice, because it was the end of an era and around the same time I Want You Back was about to herald the flashy beginning of a new Motown dynasty.
    I always thought there was too much filler on the final two studio albums. In the spirit of putting "Reflections" on the greatest hits album, I would have put "Someday We'll Be Together" on the volume 3 hits album, and titled the final album "No Matter What Sign You Are," using the amazing cover art from "Let The Sunshine In." I think it been a stronger finish to Diana's time with the group.

Side A:
    1. No Matter What Sign You Are
    2. Can't You See It's Me
    3. Will This Be The Day
    4. The Composer
    5. You Ain't Livin' Until You're Lovin'
    6. Loving You Is Better Than Ever
    Side B:
    7. He's My Sunny Boy
    8. Discover Me [[And You'll Discover Love)
    9. You Gave Me Love
    10. You've Been So Wonderful To Me
    11. I'm So Glad I Got Somebody [[Like You Around)
    12. The Beginning of the End

Edit: Some of the "society" songs from the final two albums I've included on my "Love Child" mix.
    Last edited by Thornton; 08-07-2018 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    I love the Bobby Taylor version, however, my favorite [[if I have to choose) is Diana's version.
    Never had a desire to hear a cover. Some songs don't/shouldn't be covered. Loved Bobby & Vancouvers from day one. Still do.

Here's a concept album for the planned Some Things You Never Get Used To LP. The story of a girl who wishes for love, finds it, experiences its joy and difficulties, loses love and regrets it.

Side One
    1.) Will This Be The Day
    2.) Heaven Must Have Sent You
    3.) He's My Sunny Boy
    4.) Sweet Thing
    5.) You've Been So Wonderful To Me
    6.) [[Don't Break These) Chains Of Love

Side Two
    1.) I'll Set You Free
    2.) A Little Breeze
    3.) If You Should Walk Away
    4.) The Beginning Of The End Of Love
    5.) Stay In My Lonely Arms
    6.) Some Things You Never Get Used To

Diana’s version is the best

Who is singing with her - Supremes or Andantes?

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post

The Andantes

There are 2 sets of backgrounds on this

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    Never had a desire to hear a cover. Some songs don't/shouldn't be covered. Loved Bobby & Vancouvers from day one. Still do.
    Bobby and the Vancouvers original version is the one most people know and love! I do. I have the album as well.

One of my personal favourites on the Love Child album is How Long Has That Evening Train Been Gone another song that Bobby Taylor did so well. Chris Clark told me that Frank Wilson played a demo of this track for her way before Bobby or Diana got to record it and that it was intended for her - she was right and Motown paperwork backs this story up - shame she never got to put her vocals to it _ I think that would have been amazing.

Yes Paul, it´s my favorite track too. I´m curious about Blinky´s version. And the 70´s Supremes, there are Jean and The girls or The Andantes?

I think Jean’s version was a demo from 69. It’s definitely not Mary or Cindy
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullfillingnessfirstfinale View Post
    Yes Paul, it´s my favorite track too. I´m curious about Blinky´s version. And the 70´s Supremes, there are Jean and The girls or The Andantes?

I love Diana's version of Does Your Mama Know. She nails it!

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post

I have to agree. And I believe it is known that there are no Supremes on any Love Child lp cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I have to agree. And I believe it is known that there are no Supremes on any Love Child lp cuts.
    If I'm not mistaken, Mary and Cindy can be heard on SUNNY BOY, I'LL SET YOU FREE, and CAN'T SHAKE IT LOOSE.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, Mary and Cindy can be heard on SUNNY BOY, I'LL SET YOU FREE, and CAN'T SHAKE IT LOOSE.
    Yes, Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong are on those songs.

How Long Has That Evening Train Been Gone is another excellent track on that album

Great performance by Diana and great backup singers, whoever they are.

i think M and C are on the DRATS version of Evening Train, along with the Andantes. to my ear, it really sounds like M and C that do the echo "how long, how long" before the great woo-wooo train sounds. it might be that M and C did their vocals and then Andantes were added.

Evening Train should have been the follow up to Love Child. Shame is an idiotic song [[although a hot production). Train would have been a way to follow up the seriousness of LC but without pandering. it was a mature record, soulful. and the sound would have built on LC instead of trying to mimic.

I think today Evening Train would work but not in 1968 or 69; not radio friendly enough; Diana hadn't been a jazz singer yet or known ballads

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    All the different cover versions of songs is what I have always loved about Motown, to hear what different singers/groups do with the same song. Songs like "This Old Heart of Mine": Even though the Isley Brothers "own" the song, I love the version by Tammi Terrell [[which has so much energy) and also the version of The Supremes, one of my favorite tracks on A Go Go. Also "I Heard It Through The Grapevine"--isn't it wonderful to have the great performances by both Gladys Knight AND Marvin Gaye?

I think "Keep An Eye" should have been released as the follow up to "I'm Living In Shame","Shame" is a good song with daft lyrics.
    The Love Child album was choc full of so many potential hits, ie "Evening Train, Set You Free" "Can't Shake It Loose" that it seemed crazy to release the rather lacklustre Let The Sunshine In album.
    Why the thoroughly unremarkarble "Composer" was ever released as a single i will never understand as long as i live.....Hopefully that will be for quite a time yet.