[REMOVE ADS]

Cool Motown soul and glamour..the book.

Well, after the boyfromxtown turned me onto this, my copy arrived early!!!! Got home from work last night, and good old Amazon had delivered the goods. I am absolutely GOBSMACKED. This is one of the VERY best books I have ever seen about MOTOWN. Stunning rare Photographs, all sorts of song sheets, show posters, publicity stuff. A MUST for any Motown fan. It covers everything from the pre-Motown Detroit, right up to India Aria.and everything in between. A French publication, all narratives in French, but, even if you cant read it, You can still get the drift, so to speak. Im half French, so.....I ok. Lots of pics of French Picture sleeves also. I just cannot recommend this book highly enough. I could only find it on French Amazon site, but only took 1 week to get to me. Pics of The Velvelettes, Liz Lands, Frank Wilson,Patrice Holloway, The Marvelettes, Four Tops, The Supremes, and countless others, I have never seen before.If you are in any way a Motown fan, You NEED this book....Paulo xxxx

You should always listen to your elders!!!!!!! HAHAHA

I told you it was good....

It aint good,,,Its FANTABULOUS!!!!! I have a lot of Motown Books, but this is THE BEST...Thanks again.......Paulo xxx

My pleasure

This is what this site is about..spreading the word about the music we love

Im spreading..Im spreading........xxxxx

I would have thought your spreading days were over when you left Pan Am!

Only kidding!

miss_lish Guest
    Is there a link good people? Not everyone has access to le Amazon.com, monsieur!

Of course, Miss Lish. http://www.amazon.fr/Motown-Soul-Gla...7670568&sr=1-1

Emballage cadeau disponible. This means you have have it gift wrapped.

LIVRAISON GRATUITE This means that delivery is free

miss_lish Guest
    Thank you, baby! At this price, do you know if the book comes with a smexy translator?

Not unless your postman speaks French!

Quote Originally Posted by paulo View Post
    Well, after the boyfromxtown turned me onto this, my copy arrived early!!!! Got home from work last night, and good old Amazon had delivered the goods. I am absolutely GOBSMACKED. This is one of the VERY best books I have ever seen about MOTOWN. Stunning rare Photographs, all sorts of song sheets, show posters, publicity stuff. A MUST for any Motown fan. It covers everything from the pre-Motown Detroit, right up to India Aria.and everything in between. A French publication, all narratives in French, but, even if you cant read it, You can still get the drift, so to speak. Im half French, so.....I ok. Lots of pics of French Picture sleeves also. I just cannot recommend this book highly enough. I could only find it on French Amazon site, but only took 1 week to get to me. Pics of The Velvelettes, Liz Lands, Frank Wilson,Patrice Holloway, The Marvelettes, Four Tops, The Supremes, and countless others, I have never seen before.If you are in any way a Motown fan, You NEED this book....Paulo xxxx
    Any photos of former Supreme Barbara Martin in this book?

Barbara Martin is featured in a group picture of the Supremes.

The clarity is exceptional much like the other photos and it's the reason why I consider this book is worth buying.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Barbara Martin is featured in a group picture of the Supremes.

The clarity is exceptional much like the other photos and it's the reason why I consider this book is worth buying.
    Oh that's good to hear theboyfromxtown. Thanks.

I do have a question...
    On pg. 46, the top photo [[an unfamiliar one) features Berry Gordy, Barney Ales, the Miracles and Marvelettes outdoors in front of the Hitsville window. Who is [[although partially obscured) standing behind Gladys Horton- from the height difference it might be Kat- although it doesn't look that much like her to these tired old eyes? And who is behind Smokey [[the person in question appears to be standing inside)- it doesn't look like Pete Moore?

That's a hard one for me PJ. My eyes are so bad these days I can't even focus.

Katherine looks a good guess. I thought the guy behind Smokey was inside dressing the window. The time period is interesting - check the promo pictures inside the window. Very early 60's.

John,
    It appears as if someone [[perhaps Berry, Barney, or most likely, the photographer) has instructed the artists to strike a dance pose for the picture. It is very symmetrically balanced . Notice how Ronnie & Georgeanna [[far left) are in synch, Wanda [[far right) has her hand poised to match theirs. Bobby [[next to Wanda) and Claudette [[between Georgeanna & Smokey) have their left hand raised high. Smokey seems to be enjoying and trying to follow Gladys' moves. Katherine [[?) standing outside behind Gladys has left hand raised and index finger pointing upward. The man standing inside [[positioned behind Smokey) has his left hand raised with index finger also pointing upward.
    Yes, the famous photos inside- 5 Marvelettes, 4 Supremes, Mabel John help to date the time period of the photo session, but the person who has captioned the photo for the book gives the date as June 1962 .

Judging from the photo of the Four Tops on pg 82 [[Arthur Bragg's 'Fabullous "Idlewild Revue"), Obie and Lawrence [[positions 2 & 3) seemed to have changed the most by the time they were signed to Motown.

PJ

I was not even sure it was Georgeanna. Your eyes are better than mine!! I wondered if it might be Esther Edwards...but your suggestion is better. Georgeanna is slight obscured in the picture for me.

I thought it was the "window dresser" because I coudln't see his feet outside the window. I guessed he was inside and the rest were outside.

Love those Marvelettes Picture French E.P. covers.AND the Jr Walker, Supremes, 4 Tops, Stevie, Marvin,Martha & Vandellas, Earl Van Dyke ect ect...The pics, like Harvey Fuqua with The Velvelettes at the 20 Grand, I Just cannot put this book down.Paulo xxx