[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    The only one who springs to mind is Donna Summer who had great success in the late 70's and early 80's.
    I remember in 1979, RIGHT ON! magazine did a Who's Hot, Who's Not issue. Donna was thought to be hot, while Diana was not. In the 80s, they did a similar issue, only this time with Whitney being hot, and Diana not. Even though a decade had passed, they were still holding Diana as the standard to whom others would be compared.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I remember in 1979, RIGHT ON! magazine did a Who's Hot, Who's Not issue. Donna was thought to be hot, while Diana was not. In the 80s, they did a similar issue, only this time with Whitney being hot, and Diana not. Even though a decade had passed, they were still holding Diana as the standard to whom others would be compared.
    Diana had climbed the top in ways that wasn't imagined BEFORE Donna and Whitney became what they were. She was hailed Billboard's Entertainer of the Century in 1976.

And you know what happens to artists who became larger-than-life icons especially of Diana's magnitude, people try to pull that artist down. Happened to Diana, happened to MJ and it eventually happened to Whitney.

The only one who springs to mind is Donna Summer who had great success in the late 70's and early 80's.
    Donna was one of the biggies, but I don't think she was ever going to be considered the artist that Diana was, not in terms of popularity and all around appeal. Donna was the Queen of Disco. While Diana had obviously entered- and was appreciated and vocally comfortable- in the disco genre, she had proven herself far beyond that. Diana's appeal was to everyone. She was a successful recording artist and actress, and her television specials weren't to be missed. If anything, Diana started stepping on Donna's toes by going disco, as opposed to Donna doing what Diana was mostly known for doing. There may have been some friendly rivalry there [[we know they appreciated one another) but I doubt if Diana was as unnerved about Donna as she may have been about Whitney.

The sentence in bold says a lot. I think Jet also did a who's hot/not issue in the mid 70s with Diana, Aretha and Natalie. I think it was Right On that also had another hot/not issue but it was between Aretha and Natalie, with Ree on the losing end.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Diana had climbed the top in ways that wasn't imagined BEFORE Donna and Whitney became what they were. She was hailed Billboard's Entertainer of the Century in 1976.

And you know what happens to artists who became larger-than-life icons especially of Diana's magnitude, people try to pull that artist down. Happened to Diana, happened to MJ and it eventually happened to Whitney.
    You got it. But Diana always seems to be able to get back up on her feet and do her thing and the public still largely loves her. No book or interview has ever prospered in the goal of taking her down.

I am not sure Diana was jealous of Whitney, but she was no doubt envious of her success, but i think we can safely say that the likes of Aretha, Dionne, Gladys, Patti and just about every other female singer active during that period were also a little envious of Whitney's success, but i never once heard Diana speak ill of Whitney. The only other female singer whom i heard her say anything remotely uncomplimentary about was Madonna, and there were very good reasons for that which i will not go into here.
    For years it was rumored she was jealous of Barbra Streisand. Jealous seems an odd word to describe her feelings or thoughts.
    But in this interview, she seems very defensive when Streisand is mentioned.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfPIhqNX7o4

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    The sentence in bold says a lot. I think Jet also did a who's hot/not issue in the mid 70s with Diana, Aretha and Natalie. I think it was Right On that also had another hot/not issue but it was between Aretha and Natalie, with Ree on the losing end.
    The JET article was something like "Is There Room At Top For The Big Three of Songs?"

Diana stayed out of the fray. But Aretha said something like while she enjoyed Natalie, she didn't have the equipment to take anything away from Aretha, and that she would tell Natalie that herself. [[LOL). Then in Rolling Stone, Natalie said that she thought she was a better singer than Diana, and would put herself up against her any day.

It was nice to see that Diana and Natalie became friendly, and it seems Aretha and Natalie came to a nice place as well. I went to see Aretha in concert the day that Natalie's death was announced and she did a touching version of INSEPARABLE in her honor.

Natalie said years after that [[one-sided) beef with Aretha, they saw at each other at some awards show or whatever [[I forget) and kicked it like they were old friends and got along real good afterwards.

Also Diana and Natalie being friends also proves you can grow from being green in the music industry. With age should come wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    For years it was rumored she was jealous of Barbra Streisand. Jealous seems an odd word to describe her feelings or thoughts.
    But in this interview, she seems very defensive when Streisand is mentioned.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfPIhqNX7o4
    She was a big admirer of Streisand, and was probably envious of her ability to record the songs she wanted to, make the films she wanted to, and basically not conform in any way. Perhaps she was jealous, but first and foremost Diana was a big fan of Streisand.

She was a big admirer of Streisand, and was probably envious of her ability to record the songs she wanted to, make the films she wanted to, and basically not conform in any way. Perhaps she was jealous, but first and foremost Diana was a big fan of Streisand.
    I still wonder if they knew each other?

The JET article was something like "Is There Room At Top For The Big Three of Songs?"

Diana stayed out of the fray. But Aretha said something like while she enjoyed Natalie, she didn't have the equipment to take anything away from Aretha, and that she would tell Natalie that herself. [[LOL). Then in Rolling Stone, Natalie said that she thought she was a better singer than Diana, and would put herself up against her any day.

It was nice to see that Diana and Natalie became friendly, and it seems Aretha and Natalie came to a nice place as well. I went to see Aretha in concert the day that Natalie's death was announced and she did a touching version of INSEPARABLE in her honor.
    Yes, "Is There Room" was the article I was thinking of. I recall reading that Aretha said she would tell Natalie that to her face. Love the Queen like I do, but somebody should've gotten in her ass. I never knew Natalie had said that about Diana. For all of the stories about Diana in relation to other female singers, she never seems to have a bad word to say about any of them, except for Mary Wilson, when the two were playing out their beef publicly around the time of RTL.

With age should come wisdom.
    Say that again for the people in back, please. Some folks don't seem to get it.

Yes, "Is There Room" was the article I was thinking of. I recall reading that Aretha said she would tell Natalie that to her face. Love the Queen like I do, but somebody should've gotten in her ass. I never knew Natalie had said that about Diana. For all of the stories about Diana in relation to other female singers, she never seems to have a bad word to say about any of them, except for Mary Wilson, when the two were playing out their beef publicly around the time of RTL.
    I remember reading about Natalie's comment about Diana but I also recall she later claimed she was either misquoted or taken out of context. In the same interview she was shaken by Aretha's hostility but was grateful that Diana hadn't reacted to or taken offense to her supposed comment.
    You are right, I've never read any negative comments about other female singers by Diana. Even her comments about Mary to Barbara Walters re RTL could have gone further south, but didn't.

I am not sure Diana was jealous of Whitney, but she was no doubt envious of her success, but i think we can safely say that the likes of Aretha, Dionne, Gladys, Patti and just about every other female singer active during that period were also a little envious of Whitney's success
    A safe bet. I think only Madonna in the 80's and early 90's would have had no reason to "envy" Whitney's success.
    The only other female singer whom i heard her say anything remotely uncomplimentary about was Madonna, and there were very good reasons for that which i will not go into here.
    I'm surprised because Madonna has said very complimentary things about Diana.
    Last edited by lucky2012; 08-09-2018 at 11:28 AM.

I believe that in an interview with Graham Norton [[ I think it was him ) around 1999 early 2000’s she said that Madonna was rude to Diana’s children. We all know Diana don’t play when it comes to her kids.

Right on! [[Some 70's speak ) Streisand was definitely a role model to be admired. Diana may or may not have been "jealous", but, in my admittedly dim memory, in the 70's, in magazines like People and Rolling Stone, Diana Ross was mentioned as a member of a couple of "trios". Barbra, Diana & Liza were hailed as the preeminent female superstar entertainers of the day. Aretha, Diana & Dionne were considered the three most successful black female recording artists of the time. She could also arguably have been considered at least one of the three top female recording artists of that decade.

What's clear: Diana is one of the biggest icons of all time. Her stature just grew to mythic proportions in the '70s and '80s. Everyone knows that.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    Right on! [[Some 70's speak ) Streisand was definitely a role model to be admired. Diana may or may not have been "jealous", but, in my admittedly dim memory, in the 70's, in magazines like People and Rolling Stone, Diana Ross was mentioned as a member of a couple of "trios". Barbra, Diana & Liza were hailed as the preeminent female superstar entertainers of the day. Aretha, Diana & Dionne were considered the three most successful black female recording artists of the time. She could also arguably have been considered at least one of the three top female recording artists of that decade.
    People magazine had an article and said Diana was one of the 3 highest paid actresses with Barbra Streisand and Faye Dunaway. Barbara Walters also said that when she interviewed Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    People magazine had an article and said Diana was one of the 3 highest paid actresses with Barbra Streisand and Faye Dunaway. Barbara Walters also said that when she interviewed Diana.
    Yeah ok, then why is it that when she left Motown [[ she made all of her 3 films while there), did she leave with only $200,000 -$250,000 an no real property?

That's because it was true. The peak of Diane's "solo career" was roughly from 1970-80 with a fair number of hits and misses. She had more misses in terms of hit recordings during that period.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    That's because it was true. The peak of Diane's "solo career" was roughly from 1970-80 with a fair number of hits and misses. She had more misses in terms of hit recordings during that period.
    Why dont you give yourself and all your negativity a break from all things Diane Ross. Your played out here and your obsession with all things Diana Ross isnt real healthy and its old and real real tired. Go enjoy life and leave a woman you clearly live to hate alone. ENOUGH!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yeah ok, then why is it that when she left Motown [[ she made all of her 3 films while there), did she leave with only $200,000 -$250,000 an no real property?
    Well Marv I don't know what she did with the money. Maybe she spent it before she left Motown. I really don't know her finances at the time. But it is well known that Universal paid her a million dollars.
    Here is Barbara Walters saying that Diana can and does demand a million dollars a film!
    Watch closely and pay attention!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEwCxVjGFR4&t=49s
    Last edited by vgalindo; 08-10-2018 at 12:19 AM.

Diana has remained hot - relatively speaking for decades. Her record sales have paled for decades but her live show still brings her millions every year for not many gigs and still sells out stadiums internationally when she does them. Every city bids on her when she goes out. She outdraws all of her peers by a ton - except one: Tina. Gladys can’t get a solo gig anymore, Dionne plays dumps, Patti does very well in certain urban markets, Martha......well, she does well enough and Mary rarely gets a gig that requires a ticket.

Diana may not be “hot” but 99.999999999% of musical acts out there would kill to be a cold as she.

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    I still wonder if they knew each other?
    Not really. They have met up at various functions, but to my knowledge they have never met up on a one to one basis.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    and Mary rarely gets a gig that requires a ticket.
    Not sure how true that is, but ticket it not, rest assured Mary is getting paid.

....Diana may not be “hot” but 99.999999999% of musical acts out there would kill to be a cold as she.
    This goes down as one of the most profound statements ever. I don't see how anyone, even her haters, could challenge that. [[except the few hardcore haters that are going to ask where you got the 99.999999999% data from....LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    You are right, I've never read any negative comments about other female singers by Diana. Even her comments about Mary to Barbara Walters re RTL could have gone further south, but didn't.
    Diana seems to have a desire to keep everything in her life positive. She tries to keep negative vibes out of her life. The only two negative moments that I remember are your reference 20/20 interview with Barbara Walters , which was speedily set up after the previous nights Prime Time interview with Mary about RTL And she did the rebuttal eloquantly and Diana went out of her way to keep negativity and personal attacks out of it , and yet defend her position and tell her side of events.

The second time was when she was on Larry King telling her side of the story of the events that happened in the airport in England.

Diana stays quiet and we seldom see her on interviews seeking publicity. She does not need it. So, she must have had a very strong desire to speak up publicly on these two events

Diana has remained hot - relatively speaking for decades. Her record sales have paled for decades but her live show still brings her millions every year for not many gigs and still sells out stadiums internationally when she does them. Every city bids on her when she goes out. She outdraws all of her peers by a ton - except one: Tina. Gladys can’t get a solo gig anymore, Dionne plays dumps, Patti does very well in certain urban markets, Martha......well, she does well enough and Mary rarely gets a gig that requires a ticket.

Diana may not be “hot” but 99.999999999% of musical acts out there would kill to be a cold as she.
    True. And funny that Diana had a #1 chart success recently as well!

You got that right!!

Never saw this before. [[Love this forum). Surreal to see new [[to me) footage of Diana at her peak, knowing all that she has been through since. I smiled when she told of her dream of a house with grass and picket fence for her children, knowing she would soon be living in Connecticut. She wanted to be in love again and a husband was "of course!" essential for the family unit. Arne Naess and her sons were just a few years down the road. She seemed thoughtful and trying to be honest with her answers. Without going deeper, she told at least a basic truth about Florence being overwhelmed and too tired. It was interesting to see the Eula poster hanging in her house as she told Barbara that Oct. 15, 1965 at the Copa was the Supremes at their height, and that their lives were so hectic that they probably looked older then than now. Lol. [[That poster was the best $5 purchase I ever made at Tower Records!)
    Anyway, thank you, vgalindo.

I would say of those divas mentioned in terms of how they're booking performances [[can't count Tina because she's been retired since 2009), here who comes out on top:

1.) Diana [[she books big shows here and still books arena shows in Europe when she wants; Glastonbury still is offering her money for a gig there and her turning them down shows she's not scrambling for money).
    2.) Patti [[she's become [in my over expressive gay voice] an entrepreNEUUUUURRRAAAH; the Patti pies made her a darn fortune, she has a cooking show right now on OWN, and she still performs to sell out crowds at urban markets as mentioned but she also performs much less than when she did on her heyday).
    3.) Mary [[in terms of what she sings, she'll bring the paper. Singing the Supremes songs keeps her getting food and a roof on her head, can't hate on that. She ain't no dummy. She might not perform the Supremes songs as well as Diana and Jean but she, as Mary Wells would say, "holds her own"; plus being a Rock and Roll Hall of Famer and letting it be known that she is a Supreme, people will come to see her).
    4.) Martha [[decent gigs both here and overseas, she's not performing in dumps so like Mary, she does well to pay the bills. Also, like Mary, she can brag about being a Hall of Famer and those baby boomer fans will still pack crowds to see her because she's a true entertainer and live performer).

It's sad that Gladys and Dionne, as legendary as they are, are not bringing in the money anymore. But it seems Gladys doesn't hurt for money since she recently put her house on the market and is probably settling at another house in Vegas.

Dionne on the other hand?

GURL... now that's the tragic story of all of them. She's the ONLY one I know [[I don't know about Mary or Martha) in this list that had to file for bankruptcy to protect the rest of her monies.

But thing about Diana, she was one of the first black MEGASTARS. We didn't have someone like Diana Ross before. Someone who could break barriers and blaze trails even if it came at a cost, she did it her way and succeeded beyond her wildest imaginations. Without her, it's hard to imagine Whitney Houston or Janet Jackson or Beyonce or any of the megastars that basically busted the doors down that Diana [[as a Supreme and as a solo artist/actress) opened. Because of that, she'll never be short of money. Believe that!
    Last edited by midnightman; 08-10-2018 at 12:00 PM.

Yeah, the world hadn't seen a Black star of Diana's magnitude. That's why her star will never dim. I think Dionne may have been a bad businesswoman, and then she also had the tax issues, which will kill your finances. On top of that Dionne, of all the BIG female legends, may be in the absolute worst vocal shape. I, among others, have been highly critical of Martha Reeves voice in recent decades, but I think even she might sound better than Dionne. I can't imagine anyone paying to hear Dionne sing except to have the experience of being able to say you saw her in person. That may also hit her in the pockets.

As for Gladys, I don't know what this is all about or if there is any truth to the claim about her inability to attract on her own. Makes no sense to me. She is GLADYS KNIGHT. Why wouldn't folks come out to see her?

… Martha [[decent gigs both here and overseas, she's not performing in dumps so like Mary, she does well to pay the bills. Also, like Mary, she can brag about being a Hall of Famer and those baby boomer fans will still pack crowds to see her...
    I posted before in another thread that meeting Martha Reeves [[like, say, after a concert) would be a lifetime dream come true. However, I think I would be either dumbfounded or flustered [[saying something inane or foolish). Either way, the biggest regret would be not telling her how much she and her music has meant to me. Imagine, face to face with the voice of Dancing In The Street, Nowhere to Run, Heat Wave, Jimmy Mack! Same would go for Gladys, Dionne or Mary. Diana? Fuggedaboutit!! They'd be carrying me out unconscious.

Yeah, the world hadn't seen a Black star of Diana's magnitude. That's why her star will never dim. I think Dionne may have been a bad businesswoman, and then she also had the tax issues, which will kill your finances. On top of that Dionne, of all the BIG female legends, may be in the absolute worst vocal shape. I, among others, have been highly critical of Martha Reeves voice in recent decades, but I think even she might sound better than Dionne. I can't imagine anyone paying to hear Dionne sing except to have the experience of being able to say you saw her in person. That may also hit her in the pockets.

As for Gladys, I don't know what this is all about or if there is any truth to the claim about her inability to attract on her own. Makes no sense to me. She is GLADYS KNIGHT. Why wouldn't folks come out to see her?
    Dionne definitely should've had hired a smart attorney to make sure her finances were straightened out. I think when she started doing those Psychic Friends commercials, it sounds like there was financial issues then. And yeah her voice today is so unrecognizable, it's like "this is Dionne?!" Knowing how she sounded in her heyday. Whitney's voice might not have been like it was when she died but it didn't disintegrate like Dionne's.

I think the issue with Gladys is some folks claimed she talked too much so they haven't come back to see her show. Otherwise, she's still vocally remarkable as she was when those songs were first recorded so yeah that's a mystery. Martha, for all her vocal warbles, can still sing SOMEWHAT like the originals so no one complains. Plus she puts her all in her shows and you can't knock that.

Dionne definitely should've had hired a smart attorney to make sure her finances were straightened out. I think when she started doing those Psychic Friends commercials, it sounds like there was financial issues then. And yeah her voice today is so unrecognizable, it's like "this is Dionne?!" Knowing how she sounded in her heyday. Whitney's voice might not have been like it was when she died but it didn't disintegrate like Dionne's.

I think the issue with Gladys is some folks claimed she talked too much so they haven't come back to see her show. Otherwise, she's still vocally remarkable as she was when those songs were first recorded so yeah that's a mystery. Martha, for all her vocal warbles, can still sing SOMEWHAT like the originals so no one complains. Plus she puts her all in her shows and you can't knock that.
    In his book, Cholly Atkins said something like when he first started working with Gladys, she was afraid to talk. Then he said "Now I can't make her stop!"

I've seen Gladys in concert quite often in the past decade and while some of those shows have had her teamed up with the Spinners or O'Jays, quite a few of them were Gladys alone. I still think her voice has aged the best of her peers, and I always enjoy her shows. But I do often think "Gladys, does every song need a spoken introduction?" At least most of them are quick. I remember seeing her one time when she told a very long story about the Pips' first Grammy appearance. It was amusing, but it went on and on. She could probably sing two or three more songs if she cut some of the talking. That said, none of this would make me miss one of her shows. Believe me, as soon as I hear Gladys is coming to town, I'm ready.

Yeah. She can still sing so great that, as Dionne claims, you have to throw your shoe at the stage and scream "sang girl!" But yeah, definitely needs to cut down the talking just a bit lol

I saw Gladys Knight last year at the North Sea Jazz festival in the Netherlands and her voice was amazing, so clear and no note off-key [[and she didn't had those ear-plugs in either). She did chat a lot, even said that people complain that she chats a lot but that she's going to do that anyway. And she did say--albeit jokingly--that Marvin Gaye stole "her" song, although we all know he recorded I Heard It Through The Grapevine before she did.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    I saw Gladys Knight last year at the North Sea Jazz festival in the Netherlands and her voice was amazing, so clear and no note off-key [[and she didn't had those ear-plugs in either). She did chat a lot, even said that people complain that she chats a lot but that she's going to do that anyway. And she did say--albeit jokingly--that Marvin Gaye stole "her" song, although we all know he recorded I Heard It Through The Grapevine before she did.
    I'm glad she uses it as a joke now [[much like Patti does when she says "this song I'm gonna do, it was recorded by so many others and some others made it a hit... [pause] but I made it first." LOL ) but at one point she did seriously think this. And that would be a whole other topic! LOL so we ain't getting into it. It's been 50 years.