[REMOVE ADS]

Linda Clifford "If My Friends", "Here's My Love", "Let Me Be" , "I'm Yours" remaster

On August 24th, Los Angeles, CA based label Blixa Sounds will release 4 Classic Albums by American R&B and Disco icon Linda Clifford. The 4 albums, If My Friends Could See Me Now, Here's My Love, Let Me Be Your Woman, and I'm Yours, were originally released on the Curtom Records label, and produced several Top 10 Singles including "Runaway Love," "If My Friends Could See Me Now," "Gypsy Lady," "Bridge Over Troubled Water," "Shoot Your Best Shot" and "Red Light," which was featured on the Fame Soundtrack. Linda is alive and well and living in the Chicago area and still is out there performing her hits on her own or with fellow Disco Divas, Evelyn "Champagne" King and Martha Wash as "The First Ladies Of Disco." During the height of the "Disco Era," Linda Clifford dominated the Billboard Dance Charts and all of those songs will now be available on CD for the first time ever, including bonus tracks.

http://www.imwan.com/phpBB3/viewtopi...654c24ff418c02

Ah, so maybe that’s the reason the lion’s share of these have disappeared from iTunes. I was concerned for a moment. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Ah, so maybe that’s the reason the lion’s share of these have disappeared from iTunes. I was concerned for a moment. Thanks for sharing.
    i still have the 1978 iconic album imfcsmn and will be downloading the missing tunes i dont have to my itunes library.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    i still have the 1978 iconic album imfcsmn and will be downloading the missing tunes i dont have to my itunes library.
    Luckily, I downloaded Let Me Be Your Woman years ago. I’ll strike while the iron is hot this time.

I kinda liked "Linda" and "If My Friends Could See Me Now". I'm not much of a Linda Clifford fan, but these reissues are a jubilation. For one I'm happy that Rhino/WB were nice enough to licence the masters because I heard they can be quite tough with their holdings. Other than a few Curtis Mayfield reissues I haven't seen much action. Finally it looks as if they're keeping their promise to Curtis upon purchasing the Curtom catalogue, to keep it alive. They have some great stuff, among them maybe 100+ unreleased/incomplete Curtis tracks. Hopefully this is the beginning of better days for this part of their archive.

Does Rhino still exist and do reissues?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Does Rhino still exist and do reissues?
    It’s currently the catalog/reissue arm of Warner Music Group.

Loved the song where the girl is approached by the guy in the big car. I think it is called Don't Give it Up.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    Bump: And voilá! They’re back on iTunes! [[For pre-order, anyway.)

The I'M YOURS LP was a pretty decent Isaac Hayes project that also contained the added inclusion of the song RED LIGHT from the movie FAME produced and arranged by Motown's Gil Askey. The Linda Clifford album had a shortened single version while the FAME st. featured the entire six minute version. Looks like that is still the case in this pressing, nothing different is noted, but song lengths are not provided.

I wish they would include her first Curtom recording, Linda. I picked it up because it had Gil Askey's name attached to it and I really love that record. It seems to be the missing album in her collection these days.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I wish they would include her first Curtom recording, Linda. I picked it up because it had Gil Askey's name attached to it and I really love that record. It seems to be the missing album in her collection these days.
    It remains available on iTunes if you're into that sorta thing.

If I can't get something on CD then I will download. I have high hopes that Linda will one day be released on CD in the US. It appears to have been released as a double CD in Europe but I didn't know that back in 2000! The prices now are ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    If I can't get something on CD then I will download. I have high hopes that Linda will one day be released on CD in the US. It appears to have been released as a double CD in Europe but I didn't know that back in 2000! The prices now are ridiculous.
    You can say that again. I'm fortunate to still have a great used CD store with great prices in my city; I raid them every weekend. I always keep my eyes peeled for Linda.

I have a second copy of this double CD. Just checked the prices on Discogs and did not know it was worth so much. Glad I did not sell it to a second hand cd shop for a Euro.

I hope these new versions are good remasters. If so I might get "Friends" and "Woman"

An interesting tidbit from the Second Disc article:

Blixa Sounds has simply but attractively packaged all four titles in sturdy gatefold digipaks with original art elements present. Bill Inglot and Dave Schultz at d2 Mastering have beautifully remastered all four titles from the original tapes. One only wishes liner notes with commentary from the artist and historical context had been included in these otherwise exemplary sets. Credits for the songwriters are curiously absent, too, as they were originally listed on the LP labels only. Linda Clifford moved to Capitol with her next release and then onto Chicago’s Red Label. This quartet of outstanding releases from Blixa is a reminder of how well she bridged the worlds of disco, soul, R&B, and pop into a style of her own.
    https://theseconddisc.com/2018/08/if...inda-clifford/
    Last edited by smallworld; 08-23-2018 at 09:49 AM.

These albums are on Spotify for anyone interested that uses that streaming service.
    Last edited by pghmusiclover; 08-29-2018 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Editing sentence