[REMOVE ADS]

Martha/Vandellas "Love Makes Me Do"

There's a copy of a Motown ad making the rounds on Facebook for Martha and the Vandellas "Love Makes Me Do Foolish Things".

It says "On TV yesterday.....On the charts today.....In the Top 10 tomorrow; as you saw it performed on the Ed Sullivan Show on Sunday, December 5th".

I know they performed "Dancing in the Street" on Sullivan, but ?

"LMMDFT" was released July 26, 1965.

Martha and the Vandellas indeed were on Sullivan on December 5, 1965.

The ad was also included in the booklet for in their LIVE WIRE! THE SINGLES 1962 - 1972 collection.

Re the performance of LOVE..., I don't think it happened. I found a website that includes logs for most Sullivan episodes. I could only find one appearance for the Vandellas, and it just shows that they sang DANCING IN THE STREET.

It could be that it was planned for LOVE... to be performed and then it was cut for whatever reason. Maybe the ad couldn't be pulled from Cashbox after it was purchased. As it was, it showed an old photo of the group with Annette, even though she had already been replaced by Betty for over a year.

That song was released as the B-side to "You've Been in Love Too Long," and radio DJs flipped it over. I wasn't aware that Motown decided to plug it with an ad. Interestng.