[REMOVE ADS]

Marvin Gaye - Past Time Lover

There is a reason why some recordings go unreleased. LOL!!!!

When I first bought this copyright collection this was one of the tunes I played the most. I've always been a fan of it,even though I don't blame QC for swatting it. Marvin still had a ways to go in finding his voice at that time,but it's his story telling skills that makes you take notice. He's clearly straining to reach the required notes as the key is set higher than his comfort level [[standard Motown practice). But still, you feel where the brother is coming from. Great example of the company trying to find it's way and Marvin's journey to becoming "The Master".

Hahaha yeah I see why it wasn't released but I'm biased, sue me! I LOVE IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    When I first bought this copyright collection this was one of the tunes I played the most. I've always been a fan of it,even though I don't blame QC for swatting it. Marvin still had a ways to go in finding his voice at that time,but it's his story telling skills that makes you take notice. He's clearly straining to reach the required notes as the key is set higher than his comfort level [[standard Motown practice). But still, you feel where the brother is coming from. Great example of the company trying to find it's way and Marvin's journey to becoming "The Master".
    Exactly. Also Motown was still a young company trying to find its way so of course most of the artists would record a lot of stuff that didn't fit them. And I see it was normal for producers to tell Marvin to sing in higher keys. No wonder he wanted to eff Norman Whitfield up something terrible during the recording of "Grapevine"! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Exactly. Also Motown was still a young company trying to find its way so of course most of the artists would record a lot of stuff that didn't fit them. And I see it was normal for producers to tell Marvin to sing in higher keys. No wonder he wanted to eff Norman Whitfield up something terrible during the recording of "Grapevine"! LOL
    I believe that the song fit Marvin very well,no one else could've sang that. No Motown tracks were cut in the exact key[[s) that the artists were comfortable singing in. To create a sense of urgency and believability Gordy wanted his production staff to make the acts "sing out of the box". Given that this track is from 1962, he either didn't have "Stubborn Kind Of Fellow" yet or had just got it and was just doing what he was told. By 1964-1965 he had his abilities down and a decent track record so he was in position to challenge the producers. Being married to Anna Gordy didn't hurt either. Nearly every song Marvin sang except for the Norman Whitfield tunes during that time,he sang his way. Later Marvin was grateful that Norman directed him when "Grapevine" was a blockbuster. Smokey called him "A Producer's Dream" in that respect.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post

hey midnightman,i didn't know you could move like that,hehehehehe!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    I believe that the song fit Marvin very well,no one else could've sang that. No Motown tracks were cut in the exact key[[s) that the artists were comfortable singing in. To create a sense of urgency and believability Gordy wanted his production staff to make the acts "sing out of the box". Given that this track is from 1962, he either didn't have "Stubborn Kind Of Fellow" yet or had just got it and was just doing what he was told. By 1964-1965 he had his abilities down and a decent track record so he was in position to challenge the producers. Being married to Anna Gordy didn't hurt either. Nearly every song Marvin sang except for the Norman Whitfield tunes during that time,he sang his way. Later Marvin was grateful that Norman directed him when "Grapevine" was a blockbuster. Smokey called him "A Producer's Dream" in that respect.
    That is true. That's why producers loved working with Marvin. But yeah you're right, he simply Marvin-ize any song they gave him as if he wrote it himself.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    hey midnightman,i didn't know you could move like that,hehehehehe!!!
    Heh, I had help with it.

This song doesn't sound any worse than anything else that the company was releasing in 1962 IMO. Marvin sounds great, the track has that great early Motown sound that I love, the backing vocalists are on point. The song is great, but I echo Midnight: I'm biased.