[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Autopsy: The Last Hours of Florence Ballard on REELZ Channel-Sun 7/29/08 9PM

Sun. 7/29/08-09:00 PM

The Supremes' Florence Ballard

Florence Ballard was the founding member of the popular Motown vocal female group the Supremes. Ballard sang on 16 top forty singles with the group, including ten number-one hits. After being removed from the Supremes in 1967, Ballard tried an unsuccessful solo career. Ballard struggled with alcoholism, depression, and poverty for three years. She was making an attempt for a musical comeback when she died of a heart attack in February 1976 at the age of 32.

Peter Benjaminson has confirmed that the last hours of Florence Ballard is a reality. The episode will preceed the Supremes breaking the band episode. I watched the Karen Carpenter Last hours and it was tastefully done. Peter has said that clips of the interviews that he did with Florence will likely be featured in both programs

Third Motown act they covered after MJ and Marvin.

Am I the only one that finds this tabloid presentation promoting Florence’s passing as unnecessary? ...disrespectful? ...exploitive?

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    Am I the only one that finds this tabloid presentation promoting Florence’s passing as unnecessary? ...disrespectful? ...exploitive?
    No, you are not. I shall most certainly be giving this most distasteful programe a very wide berth.

No. I guess the obsessives would prefer to have Ballard dug up and actually autopsied but they'll have to settle for this. I would think Ballard's descendants would try to put a cease-and-desist on this.

Nah. That's one reason I avoided the MG one on TV [[I did see it online because I was curious and it was just tabloid-ish). The guy thought Marvin Sr. shot him in the shoulder first but the autopsy said the first shot was at the heart.

I felt it was an attempt to try to push the blame on Marvin for his father's shots when it was reported the other way around. So I really fear what they're gonna say about Flo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    No, you are not. I shall most certainly be giving this most distasteful programe a very wide berth.
    If this tasteless show had any new pertinent information it wouldnt be on an obsucre network that gets 181,000 viewers. I wont be watching.

THE MOST-WATCHED NETWORKS OF 2017 [[BY TOTAL VIEWERS)

https://www.indiewire.com/2017/12/hi...ws-1201911363/

84 Reelzchannel

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    If this tasteless show had any new pertinent information it wouldnt be on an obsucre network that gets 181,000 viewers. I wont be watching.

THE MOST-WATCHED NETWORKS OF 2017 [[BY TOTAL VIEWERS)

https://www.indiewire.com/2017/12/hi...ws-1201911363/

84 Reelzchannel
    Florence should be allowed to rest in peace. Nothing would convince me to watch this tawdry piece of television.

I see nothing wrong with this type of show. The subjects were public figures. Many of these "Last Hours of ..." episodes have been very interesting, and it keeps these dead people's names alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    I see nothing wrong with this type of show. The subjects were public figures. Many of these "Last Hours of ..." episodes have been very interesting, and it keeps these dead people's names alive.
    i remember maxine ballard put something on social media about her sister and foul play. If something has been discovered i would be interested in hearing about it
    I wont make any judgement until the show has aired. All i know is that flo was dealt a rotten trump card after the supremes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Florence should be allowed to rest in peace. Nothing would convince me to watch this tawdry piece of television.
    I agree fully. Sadly a lot of the membership here is still, 40 years on, unable to accept Florence's responsibility for her own life and continue to seek villains, conspirators and baseless 'foul play'. They are the flat-earth and djt-fake-news crowd. Undoubtedly violence survivors and addicts have a lot to deal with but it is up to each individual to make their own life a success. You can be either a Tina or a Florence; the choice is yours. Likewise you can take a half-hour of your life and contact your local representatives expressing your concerns about political events or you can take that same half-hour and watch this garbage.
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 07-25-2018 at 09:44 AM.

Haha- all this preemptive hate for something no one's seen!

Another angle might be , thank god a new presentation that'll help keep the Florence Ballard story alive and reignite interest in her.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I....Likewise you can take a half-hour of your life and contact your local representatives expressing your concerns about political events or you can take that same half-hour and watch this garbage.
    I could probably find the time to do both. But I will definately watch this. Already set the DVR. May turn out to be a piece of sh*t. If it is, I can just stop watching it. But I see no sense in pre-judging it.

REELZ is the National Enquirer of cable television. Their documentaries are little more than sensationalist-conspiracy theory wielding pieces that do nothing to serve the memory of the subject's they choose to profile.

Two docu-series that they produced left me completely disgusted at how they treated the subject matter. The first was on Natalie Wood, the second one was far worse - it was on Sharon Tate and they had the audacity to re-create her horrific murder. They had actors portray the Manson family and the victims with scripted dialogue supposedly based on court documents. I watched all the way up until the part where "Sharon" was sitting on the couch crying and begging for her life while her murderers stood by taunting her and showing her no mercy - - - at that moment I snapped out of it and said to myself, "What the f#ck are you watching?!?". This was a real human being, this actually happened!! This is NOT entertainment!!! I turned the TV off...but it completely left me shook! I had to sleep with the lights on that night.

I have never watched REELZ tv and was not even familiar with it. But from what I am reading here, I am probably better off not knowing about it.

Nevertheless, I do have my DVR set and will attempt to watch this, out of curiousity and becasue I am s Supremes fan and keep up with the good and bad.

However, if it is one of those tabloid NATIONAL ENQUIRER type stories, I, too, will say "What the f#ck am I watching?!?" and turn it off.

Gotta admit, while on checkout lines at supermarkets, I glance at the headlines on National Enquirer. Curiousity. National Enquirer is the real definition of fake news.

From what I am reading here, REELZ is similar to National Enquirer. So my prediction is that I will probably glance at the beginning, form an opinion, and leave.

Thanks for the info y'all because I never would've known this was coming on. I have never even heard of REELZ. Despite the objections [[which appear to come from different motivations) I have set my DVR to catch it and the following program about the Supremes. Hopefully it isn't a bunch of crap, but being a huge Flo Ballard fan, I'm not going to miss it. Who knows what kind of new information could be learned between all the bull? How interesting that she is even the subject of an "hour" long program on any network. Just goes to show that Flo Ballard, Diana Ross, and the Supremes still get people talking so many years after their heyday. That's a signature sign of a legend.

I vaguely recall that Florence had some older siblings; I've always wonder how they escaped public scrutiny regarding her last years. Usually family members step in when another member hits bad times. Perhaps this program will address that.

It’s so great that Florence and the Supremes are being remembered.

Randy Taraborrelli and I were both asked to participate in these shows and we both declined. I have said all I want to say about Flo and it's time to let her rest in peace. The autopsy show is bizarre and tasteless.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Randy Taraborrelli and I were both asked to participate in these shows and we both declined. I have said all I want to say about Flo and it's time to let her rest in peace. The autopsy show is bizarre and tasteless.
    A congrat to the both of you. And let's hope that someday there will be a Ballard tribute recognizing her contribution to American popular music and the advancement of Black Americans. That's how I think of Florence Ballard.

I just watched one of these episodes earlier tonight for the first time. It was about Roy Orbison. I only watched about fifteen minutes of it. Seems like they were trying to establish that he died from something other than a heart attack. Disapointed.

Still going to tape the Flo episode, but I imagine it will be the same thing.

You show real class all the time my friend.

You did the right thing. I remember when Marvin's debuted, and Janis' brother was on it acting like he was close with the Gaye family and Janis read his a$$ and then cut all contact with him for appearing on the show.

This sounds like it is going to be a great and interesting program. I don't Dish Network so I am going to have to get someone with it to tape it for me or look for it on Youtube. I wonder how far they are going to go?

I wish Mary would have sat this one out too. The clips I've seen are certain to start a fire storm here in the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I wish Mary would have sat this one out too. The clips I've seen are certain to start a fire storm here in the next few days.
    I do too but Mary Wilson loves to talk about Diane and the Supremes. I LOL everuytime she says "we are sisters and we love each other very much" LOL

I wonder if Gordy had asked Florence if she like to stay with the Marvelettes on a permanent basis she might have replied "Yes please". Sadly she appeared unable to cope with the immense pressure when the success of the Supremes went mega.
    Life throws a lot of s--t at all of us at some point but we have to pick ourselves up and get on with it. Sadly for whatever reasons this was something Flo was unable to do.
    I seem to remember reading in Taraborelli's book that in one of the last letters Florence sent to him she mentioned Diana, commenting "Diana is not all that bad" or something like that. She appeared to be reconciled with her past and at peace with herself. Ready to start a new.
    I guess such info generally makes for boring reading and dull tv docu. Far more intriguing to hear about the wicked queen.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 07-28-2018 at 07:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I wonder if Gordy had asked Florence if she like to stay with the Marvelettes on a permanent basis she might have replied "Yes please". Sadly she appeared unable to cope with the immense pressure when the success of the Supremes went mega.
    Life throws a lot of s--t at all of us at some point but we have to pick ourselves up and get on with it. Sadly for whatever reasons this was something Flo was unable to do.
    I seem to remember reading in Taraborelli's book that in one of the last letters Florence sent to him she mentioned Diana, commenting "Diana is not all that bad" or something like that. She appeared to be reconciled with her past and at peace with herself. Ready to start a new.
    I guess such info generally makes for boring reading and dull tv docu. Far more intriguing to hear about the wicked queen.
    I agree all around. When onlookers identify with someone unfortunate, there is no end to the race to the bottom to find someone to blame. I wonder - did the program address the matter of why Florence's rather large family was unwilling or unable to assist her?

That is not true and this is getting ridiculous. Florence Ballard was only 32 years old when she died. She still did not have that kind of maturity only gained from having a long life. She never wrote any letter to Berry Gordy and there was NO type of reconciliation with Diane Ross. That is bullshit that Ross fans made up years ago and try to keep that lie alive.

They are going to get to bottom of what really happened to Florence Ballard one way or another. One day if not today. It is not going to stop even after all of the principle players are long dead and gone and that includes Diana Ross and Berry Gordy so just get use to it or try to ignore it.

In any case the common perception is that Diana Ross did Florence Ballard in, back stabbed her and that is too widespread to be overturned now. People can try to re-write history and do a bunch of fluffy fantasized Broadway plays, but the belief that dirty pool was involve will remain! Florence Ballard's story is still referred to as the greatest tragedy in Rock history.

It should be noted that the YouTube clip above is not from the autopsy show, but from the show that comes on right after it, called breaking the band.

[QUOTE=marv2;471905]That is not true and this is getting ridiculous. Florence Ballard was only 32 years old when she died. She still did not have that kind of maturity only gained from having a long life. She never wrote any letter to Berry Gordy and there was NO type of reconciliation with Diane Ross. That is bullshit that Ross fans made up years ago and try to keep that lie alive.

Typical response from the same typical, misinformed basher.

During Christmas of 1975, two months before she died, Florence and Tommy went to see Mahogany which had just opened in Detroit. A couple days later Flo got Diana's number and called her. The two spoke for about an hour with Flo telling Diana how much she enjoyed her movies but didn't think Ross was anything like Tracy Chambers in real life. She told Diana she was getting back in shape and wanted to sing again. Flo also acknowledged during the call that she knew she had brought on most of her problems herself. Diana encouraged Flo and even told her she would do all she could to help her. It was a loving phone between two old friends.

Shortly after this Flo sent Randy a postcard thanking him for the money he and the rest of the fans collected and sent to her. She said she was in good spirits, had spoken to Diana and that she was having good thoughts about Diana, ending with "she ain't so bad."

Eight weeks later Flo was gone. As I said in Mysteries and Scandals, the real tragedy was that Flo had faced her demons and was determined not to be a victim any longer when the sudden heart attack happened.

So what's new? [[This is from the Breaking the Band show, btw.) Looks like viewing for someone in need of something to do for an hour, certainly not us diehards or even people remotely familiar with the Supremes story. We all know how it went down. Ross was elevated by Gordy over the other two, and being a typical young female, Ross let it go to her head and she relished in the special attention. Flo felt betrayed and in some ways self destructed, while also having to deal with someone who valued money over her well being, and her inability to handle the situation maturely ultimately led to her dismissal. Mary toed the line because she didn't want to end back up in the welfare line. She went along to get along. I'm betting this sums up the program, ya know, aside from the Diana Ross was the world's greatest bitch and Flo Ballard was the world's greatest victim and Mary Wilson is the only one willing to tell the truth.*rolls eyes* I'm still watching it though.

So glad I declined this show. I can already tell it's not balanced.

I read on this forum years ago a story about Diana visiting Florence at her home and they talked for a while. Is there any truth to that story?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    That is not true and this is getting ridiculous. Florence Ballard was only 32 years old when she died. She still did not have that kind of maturity only gained from having a long life. She never wrote any letter to Berry Gordy and there was NO type of reconciliation with Diane Ross. That is bullshit that Ross fans made up years ago and try to keep that lie alive.

They are going to get to bottom of what really happened to Florence Ballard one way or another. One day if not today. It is not going to stop even after all of the principle players are long dead and gone and that includes Diana Ross and Berry Gordy so just get use to it or try to ignore it.

In any case the common perception is that Diana Ross did Florence Ballard in, back stabbed her and that is too widespread to be overturned now. People can try to re-write history and do a bunch of fluffy fantasized Broadway plays, but the belief that dirty pool was involve will remain! Florence Ballard's story is still referred to as the greatest tragedy in Rock history.
    The gospel according to marv...Hmmm.
    It really is of no suprise to me that you find all this ridiculous. I'm quite sure if i had posted Diana Ross was a nasty [[*&^%$ as regards her treatment of flo you would be waving a banner and insisting this was the utter, complete and bonafide truth. As it stands neither you or i were there at the time to witness what actually happened. Speculation and hearsay is all we have to go on. I just happen to think Diana Ross was not the villain these rather tawdry docu's try to make her out to be.... Just my opinion dear.

I don't think Flo would have ever abandoned the Supremes for the Marvelettes, not in 1962. Okay, maybe there's a chance because the Marvelettes were already where Flo and the Supremes wanted to go, but I still doubt it. Remember Flo said she didn't think the Marvelettes could really sing and she fancied the Supremes the real deal where singing was concerned. I've always thought Flo was a driving force for the group in the early days because she really believed in the Supremes' ability to succeed, no matter how good any other girl group was. [[And I imagine if she truly thought of the Marvelettes as less than, it probably fueled her opinion even more that if a group like that could make it big, why not the Supremes?) Plus she doesn't appear to be unhappy as a Supreme until sometime in 1966. Now had Gordy asked her to take over for Gladys when she left...

Life throws a lot of s--t at all of us at some point but we have to pick ourselves up and get on with it. Sadly for whatever reasons this was something Flo was unable to do. I seem to remember reading in Taraborelli's book that in one of the last letters Florence sent to him she mentioned Diana, commenting "Diana is not all that bad" or something like that. She appeared to be reconciled with her past and at peace with herself. Ready to start a new. I guess such info generally makes for boring reading and dull tv docu. Far more intriguing to hear about the wicked queen.
    Florence did pick herself up and get on with it. Some folks fall and hop right back up. Others lose their way for a time longer. I think it shows the strength of Flo's character that her story doesn't end with welfare and bitterness or drugs. Flo said it herself, she was ready to get back into the business, and Jack Ashford confirmed that he and Flo talked about doing something together. She said she made a lot of mistakes. What I took from Flo's various quotes prior to her death is that she took responsibility for her own actions but also refused to let others off the hook for their actions. I respect that so much because IMO neither Ross nor Gordy have ever done that. They've pointed the finger at Florence- and rightly so- and the things she did but they never say "but I could've handled the situation differently" or "I too said things and did things I shouldn't have". I've never heard them say that. No doubt in my mind that if not cut down by her health issue, Flo would've staged a comeback, and undoubtedly did it on her own terms.

Quite true khansperac. The recently deceased Ray Gibson, Flo's cousin, stayed with Flo a lot. He was there in early 1970 after Diana made her Farewell performance. Diana came to Detroit to see her family and walked down the street to see Flo. They embraced, Ross picked on Flo's new blonde wig and said "oh no, you really are Blondie."

They went to Flo's bedroom and talked for quite some time. Ray said Flo never said what they talked about but it was all warmth between them that day.

Now, had I done this show do you really think this would have made the final cut?

Yikes, this looks like garbage. If the first sign wasn't the shameless tabloid-esque storytelling, it was that painful, fictional "recreation" of events in the dressing room.

Hard pass.

Typical response from the same typical, misinformed basher.

During Christmas of 1975, two months before she died, Florence and Tommy went to see Mahogany which had just opened in Detroit. A couple days later Flo got Diana's number and called her. The two spoke for about an hour with Flo telling Diana how much she enjoyed her movies but didn't think Ross was anything like Tracy Chambers in real life. She told Diana she was getting back in shape and wanted to sing again. Flo also acknowledged during the call that she knew she had brought on most of her problems herself. Diana encouraged Flo and even told her she would do all she could to help her. It was a loving phone between two old friends.

Shortly after this Flo sent Randy a postcard thanking him for the money he and the rest of the fans collected and sent to her. She said she was in good spirits, had spoken to Diana and that she was having good thoughts about Diana, ending with "she ain't so bad."

Eight weeks later Flo was gone. As I said in Mysteries and Scandals, the real tragedy was that Flo had faced her demons and was determined not to be a victim any longer when the sudden heart attack happened.
    Flo and Diana's last conversation was first publicized in the late 70s by none other than Diana Ross. It was then elaborated on by JRandyT in CHMR in the late 80s. Peter Benjaminson also confirms the phone call and even quotes Florence about the call and her feelings about Diana on pages 164-65 in The Lost Supreme book. [[This is what it looks like when you source your claims.) Anyone claiming that this pleasant last conversation between the two never took place is a liar if he cannot produce a credible source to discredit it. I'll wait...

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    I read on this forum years ago a story about Diana visiting Florence at her home and they talked for a while. Is there any truth to that story?
    Never heard that one Khan. I can't imagine that it took place after Flo left the group.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    Florence has said that she telephoned Diana in 75 and that they had a long conversation. Florence does not sound like the kind of woman who would do this unless she really wanted to. It appears at this point in time she still retained some affection for Diana and wanted to keep in touch.

Quite true khansperac. The recently deceased Ray Gibson, Flo's cousin, stayed with Flo a lot. He was there in early 1970 after Diana made her Farewell performance. Diana came to Detroit to see her family and walked down the street to see Flo. They embraced, Ross picked on Flo's new blonde wig and said "oh no, you really are Blondie."

They went to Flo's bedroom and talked for quite some time. Ray said Flo never said what they talked about but it was all warmth between them that day.

Now, had I done this show do you really think this would have made the final cut?
    If this story is at all true, cool. Flo did say the last time she and Diana spoke was in 1971 but there have never been any elaboration on what the circumstances were.

Florence has said that she telephoned Diana in 75 and that they had a long conversation. Florence does not sound like the kind of woman who would do this unless she really wanted to. It appears at this point in time she still retained some affection for Diana and wanted to keep in touch.
    Florence was not a woman who did things she didn't want to do. She's said as much. It's obvious that both women retained an affection for one another despite their issues. Remember, by the time that last conversation took place, both women were mothers of three children and in their early 30s. The stuff they had been beefing about happened years ago when they were in their early to mid 20s and subject to the immaturity that comes with those continuing growing years. What more was there for either of them to be pissed about?

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I don't think Flo would have ever abandoned the Supremes for the Marvelettes, not in 1962. Okay, maybe there's a chance because the Marvelettes were already where Flo and the Supremes wanted to go, but I still doubt it. Remember Flo said she didn't think the Marvelettes could really sing and she fancied the Supremes the real deal where singing was concerned. I've always thought Flo was a driving force for the group in the early days because she really believed in the Supremes' ability to succeed, no matter how good any other girl group was. [[And I imagine if she truly thought of the Marvelettes as less than, it probably fueled her opinion even more that if a group like that could make it big, why not the Supremes?) Plus she doesn't appear to be unhappy as a Supreme until sometime in 1966. Now had Gordy asked her to take over for Gladys when she left...

Florence did pick herself up and get on with it. Some folks fall and hop right back up. Others lose their way for a time longer. I think it shows the strength of Flo's character that her story doesn't end with welfare and bitterness or drugs. Flo said it herself, she was ready to get back into the business, and Jack Ashford confirmed that he and Flo talked about doing something together. She said she made a lot of mistakes. What I took from Flo's various quotes prior to her death is that she took responsibility for her own actions but also refused to let others off the hook for their actions. I respect that so much because IMO neither Ross nor Gordy have ever done that. They've pointed the finger at Florence- and rightly so- and the things she did but they never say "but I could've handled the situation differently" or "I too said things and did things I shouldn't have". I've never heard them say that. No doubt in my mind that if not cut down by her health issue, Flo would've staged a comeback, and undoubtedly did it on her own terms.
    As always you raise some very good points RanRan. A really interesting post.
    I do agree regarding Diana and Berry not seeming to accept that they perhaps could have handled the situation a little better. Having said that i feel Diana at least is not responsible for how Flo's life turned out. We all have to accept responsibility at some point.

As always you raise some very good points RanRan. A really interesting post.
    I do agree regarding Diana and Berry not seeming to accept that they perhaps could have handled the situation a little better. Having said that i feel Diana at least is not responsible for how Flo's life turned out. We all have to accept responsibility at some point.
    Thanks Ollie. Don't misunderstand, I don't mean to imply that Diana- or Gordy- is responsible for anyone's life other than their own. But in being responsible for one's self, you have to take accountability for your impact on the lives of others. We have no problem accepting praise of how great an influence a person is in someone else's life, so there should be no problem accepting when one's own poor behavior has an effect [[a reaction) on someone else. And no one- not even Gordy and Ross- ever accuse Florence of starting to drink and "acting out" out of the blue and for no reason.

One of the MANY questions I would love to ask of Diana is did her own issues with alcoholism change the way she thought about the way Flo dealt with her issues back in the day? I would love to know if Diana now has new empathy for Flo, especially considering that Diana developed her issues with alcohol later in life as opposed to a very young woman.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post

Wrong as usual. John Lennon or Elvis Presley would be the greatest tragedy in rock history. Flo had been out of the limelight for a number of years.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Thanks Ollie. Don't misunderstand, I don't mean to imply that Diana- or Gordy- is responsible for anyone's life other than their own. But in being responsible for one's self, you have to take accountability for your impact on the lives of others. We have no problem accepting praise of how great an influence a person is in someone else's life, so there should be no problem accepting when one's own poor behavior has an effect [[a reaction) on someone else. And no one- not even Gordy and Ross- ever accuse Florence of starting to drink and "acting out" out of the blue and for no reason.

One of the MANY questions I would love to ask of Diana is did her own issues with alcoholism change the way she thought about the way Flo dealt with her issues back in the day? I would love to know if Diana now has new empathy for Flo, especially considering that Diana developed her issues with alcohol later in life as opposed to a very young woman.
    In the 60's it was all about business not emotions. I'm sure it was a huge relief to Diana when Cindy joined and there was no longer the pressure of having to deal with Flo's then unpredictable behaviour.
    I would like to think that the older Diana can now understand how we all respond to pressure in different ways and how one person responds to any given situation can have a huge emotional effect on others
    Flo it seems was a reactive personality as opposed to a proactive one. If people were nice to her she responded accordingly, if they did not it was why should i give a f---k about anything.
    If only for a moment she had pondered the bigger picture and the possibilties of what could and might be once Diana had moved on it could have been so very different
    Last edited by Ollie9; 07-28-2018 at 03:53 PM.

Wrong as usual. John Lennon or Elvis Presley would be the greatest tragedy in rock history. Flo had been out of the limelight for a number of years.
    Exactly correct plus you could add Jim Morrison or Kurt Cobain or Buddy Holly to that list. Flo was loved but is only referred to greatest tragedy in rock and roll history by a deranged Diane Ross basher.