[REMOVE ADS]

Carrie Lucas "Dance With You: The Solar And Constellation Albums" 3CD box set [[SoulMu

http://www.imwan.com/phpBB3/viewtopi...d205cd38074f8f

As ‘The First Lady Of Solar [[Sound Of Los Angeles Records)’, California-born Carrie Lucas forged a recording career starting in 1977 that helped establish the Los Angeles-based company formed by her husband, pioneering music industry executive Dick Griffey, into a world-renowned label that launched internationally successful artists such as Shalamar, The Whispers, Klymaxx, Midnight Star, Lakeside, The Deele and Dynasty. With a stellar cadre of top musicians, a growing stable of songwriters and emergent producers, the distinctive sound that became associated with the company was in full effect on the six albums that Carrie recorded between 1977-1984.

Carrie’s success as a chartmaker began when husband Griffey and Don Cornelius, the renowned creator and host of the popular US television series, ‘Soul Train’, started Soul Train Records in 1977: her first single, ‘I Gotta Keep Dancin’’ became a US R&B, pop and dance hit and paved the way for a further six charted singles including ‘Dance With You’, also a UK Top 40 entry; 1982’s ‘Show Me Where You’re Coming From’, and her 1984 revival of the Barbara Lewis classic, ‘Hello Stranger’, featuring label- mates The Whispers, with whom Carrie toured alongside other Solar artists in the late ‘70s and early ‘80s. Producers including Leon Sylvers III, members of The Whispers and Lakeside, Klymaxx’ Fenderella and Dick Griffey himself contributed to the 47 tracks featured here [[including the almost-eight minute long 12” version of 1980’s ‘Keep Smiling’).

This first-of-its-kind 3-CD collection of Carrie’s six albums showcases not only her status as one of the prominent dance music purveyors [[via tracks such as ‘Career Girl’, ‘Fashion’ and ‘It’s Not What You Got [[It’s How You Use It)’ during a time period when the ‘disco’ movement was in its ascendancy but her interpretative skills as a balladeer on songs such as ‘Tender’, ‘Still In Love’, ‘Lovin’ Is On My Mind’, ‘I’ll Close The Door’ and ‘Just A Memory’, and as an accomplished songwriter, penning and collaborating on a number of key tracks including ‘Simpler Days’, ‘What’s The Question’ and ‘Reflections’.

Liner notes by SoulMusic Records and SoulMusic.com founder David Nathan include commentary by Carrie herself along with a special quote from her daughter Carolyn Griffey [[who now tours globally with Shalamar); first class mastering by Nick Robbins; and stellar artwork from Roger Williams.

This 2018 reissue is particularly timely given the release of Carrie’s first new recording in many years on the UK-relaunched Solar label.

Tracklist
    [CD1: Simply Carrie / Street Corner Symphony]
    1. I Gotta Keep Dancin’
    2. Me For You
    3. Play By Your Rule
    4. Tender Interlude
    5. Tender
    6. Jammin’ Tenderly [[Tender Part 2)
    7. I Gotta Get Away From Your Love
    8. I’ll Close Love’s Door
    9. What’s The Question
    10. Men Kiss And Tell
    11. Street Corner Symphony
    12. But My Heart Says No
    13. Tic Toc
    14. The Depths Of My Soul
    15. The Edge Of Night
    16. Questions
    17. Simpler Days
    18. Reflections

[CD2: Carrie Lucas…In Danceland / Portrait Of Carrie]
    1. Danceland
    2. Sometimes A Love Goes Wrong
    3. Are You Dancing
    4. Dance With You
    5. I’m Gonna Make You Happy
    6. Southern Star
    7. It’s Not What You Got [[It’s How You Use It)
    8. Lovin’ Is On My Mind
    9. Career Girl
    10. Use It Or Lose It
    11. Fashion
    12. Just A Memory
    13. Keep Smilin’ [[12” Version)

[CD3: Still In Love / Horsin’ Around]
    1. Show Me Where You’re Coming From
    2. Sweet Love
    3. Men
    4. Is It A Dream
    5. Rockin’ For Your Love
    6. Dreamer
    7. I Just Can’t Do Without Your Love
    8. Still In Love
    9. Summer In The Street
    10. Charlie
    11. Goin’ In Circles
    12. Horsin’ Around
    13. Hello Stranger [[Featuring The Whispers)
    14. Let’s Keep Dancing
    15. Somebody Said
    16. SuperstarName:  CARRIE-LUCAS-555x555.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  67.4 KB

Woohoo! Love me some Carrie. She’s one of the truly “unsung.” Thanks for the news!

Good news for me also. Nick Robbins was a great choice for audio restoration. I wonder who they licensed her catalogue from,it looks like Dick Griffey sold it. I bought Sanctuary's stellar "Dance With You Anthology" and the copyright in the recordings is said to be owned by them. I guess her part of the Solar story wasn't as profitable to him. Whatever the case,I'll certainly be buying this.

I can see how this would be an exciting addition for some folks but I already have a great two CD collection that features most of her hits, so unless there is something super on here that is not featured in that collection, I think I will pass. But I am still very pleased to see that the CD re-issue era is going to last at least a little bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    http://www.imwan.com/phpBB3/viewtopi...d205cd38074f8f

As ‘The First Lady Of Solar [[Sound Of Los Angeles Records)’, California-born Carrie Lucas forged a recording career starting in 1977 that helped establish the Los Angeles-based company formed by her husband, pioneering music industry executive Dick Griffey, into a world-renowned label that launched internationally successful artists such as Shalamar, The Whispers, Klymaxx, Midnight Star, Lakeside, The Deele and Dynasty. With a stellar cadre of top musicians, a growing stable of songwriters and emergent producers, the distinctive sound that became associated with the company was in full effect on the six albums that Carrie recorded between 1977-1984.

Carrie’s success as a chartmaker began when husband Griffey and Don Cornelius, the renowned creator and host of the popular US television series, ‘Soul Train’, started Soul Train Records in 1977: her first single, ‘I Gotta Keep Dancin’’ became a US R&B, pop and dance hit and paved the way for a further six charted singles including ‘Dance With You’, also a UK Top 40 entry; 1982’s ‘Show Me Where You’re Coming From’, and her 1984 revival of the Barbara Lewis classic, ‘Hello Stranger’, featuring label- mates The Whispers, with whom Carrie toured alongside other Solar artists in the late ‘70s and early ‘80s. Producers including Leon Sylvers III, members of The Whispers and Lakeside, Klymaxx’ Fenderella and Dick Griffey himself contributed to the 47 tracks featured here [[including the almost-eight minute long 12” version of 1980’s ‘Keep Smiling’).

This first-of-its-kind 3-CD collection of Carrie’s six albums showcases not only her status as one of the prominent dance music purveyors [[via tracks such as ‘Career Girl’, ‘Fashion’ and ‘It’s Not What You Got [[It’s How You Use It)’ during a time period when the ‘disco’ movement was in its ascendancy but her interpretative skills as a balladeer on songs such as ‘Tender’, ‘Still In Love’, ‘Lovin’ Is On My Mind’, ‘I’ll Close The Door’ and ‘Just A Memory’, and as an accomplished songwriter, penning and collaborating on a number of key tracks including ‘Simpler Days’, ‘What’s The Question’ and ‘Reflections’.

Liner notes by SoulMusic Records and SoulMusic.com founder David Nathan include commentary by Carrie herself along with a special quote from her daughter Carolyn Griffey [[who now tours globally with Shalamar); first class mastering by Nick Robbins; and stellar artwork from Roger Williams.

This 2018 reissue is particularly timely given the release of Carrie’s first new recording in many years on the UK-relaunched Solar label.

Tracklist
    [CD1: Simply Carrie / Street Corner Symphony]
    1. I Gotta Keep Dancin’
    2. Me For You
    3. Play By Your Rule
    4. Tender Interlude
    5. Tender
    6. Jammin’ Tenderly [[Tender Part 2)
    7. I Gotta Get Away From Your Love
    8. I’ll Close Love’s Door
    9. What’s The Question
    10. Men Kiss And Tell
    11. Street Corner Symphony
    12. But My Heart Says No
    13. Tic Toc
    14. The Depths Of My Soul
    15. The Edge Of Night
    16. Questions
    17. Simpler Days
    18. Reflections

[CD2: Carrie Lucas…In Danceland / Portrait Of Carrie]
    1. Danceland
    2. Sometimes A Love Goes Wrong
    3. Are You Dancing
    4. Dance With You
    5. I’m Gonna Make You Happy
    6. Southern Star
    7. It’s Not What You Got [[It’s How You Use It)
    8. Lovin’ Is On My Mind
    9. Career Girl
    10. Use It Or Lose It
    11. Fashion
    12. Just A Memory
    13. Keep Smilin’ [[12” Version)

[CD3: Still In Love / Horsin’ Around]
    1. Show Me Where You’re Coming From
    2. Sweet Love
    3. Men
    4. Is It A Dream
    5. Rockin’ For Your Love
    6. Dreamer
    7. I Just Can’t Do Without Your Love
    8. Still In Love
    9. Summer In The Street
    10. Charlie
    11. Goin’ In Circles
    12. Horsin’ Around
    13. Hello Stranger [[Featuring The Whispers)
    14. Let’s Keep Dancing
    15. Somebody Said
    16. SuperstarName:  CARRIE-LUCAS-555x555.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  67.4 KB
    Carrie Lucas is one of those performers who just kind of passed me by. Not quite sure why. None of the songs i heard touched me in any way, but perhaps i did not give her music a fair hearing. I may investigate this set as she seems to be highly rated by some people on here. Thanks for the heads up Jack020.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Carrie Lucas is one of those performers who just kind of passed me by. Not quite sure why. None of the songs i heard touched me in any way, but perhaps i did not give her music a fair hearing. I may investigate this set as she seems to be highly rated by some people on here. Thanks for the heads up Jack020.
    I'm with you. Her music did not make an impression on me. Would be curious if anyone could recommend any particular track[[s) for re-consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    I'm with you. Her music did not make an impression on me. Would be curious if anyone could recommend any particular track[[s) for re-consideration.
    Guy, I liked nearly all of her tracks personally. I think her cover of "Hello Stranger" was the biggest record she had. That's a great cover, she really did it justice. "It's Not What You Got" produced by the great Leon Sylvers III is another stand out track though it sold very little. The reason I know anything about her at all is because my mother was a fan. As a kid I would frequently go in the basement of our home and go through my parents records. She didn't have all her albums,but she exposed me to enough where when I got older I could do further research myself. I liked what I heard and decided her stuff was good enough to own.

To elaborate further, I think Carrie got caught up in the public's agitation with Disco. The style wasn't for everybody and many people hated it for it's boring simplicity. But not all of it was bad and Carrie fits in that category with a couple other artists. By the time husband Dick Griffey tried to take her in another direction it was too late, she'd been pigeonholed. But she was a good looking woman with a nice commercial voice.

Just go on YouTube and listen to some of the material and make a decision from there. It's for you or it's not. That's my story and I'm sticking to it my friend.

I am guessing that she did not grab everyone because of a lack of crossover success, such as Gloria Gaynor and Thelma Houston for example. For me, "It's Not What You Got" was her best song.

I Gotta Keep Dancin is a dance classic!