[REMOVE ADS]

Roz's Tenure in the Marvelettes

Not quite, but.....

In the DRATS thread, there's a topic about Flo's tenure in the Marvelettes, when Wanda was on maternity leave. 1963.

During this same time period, the Marvelettes were in the studio, recording tracks for "The Marvelous Marvelettes".

Rosalind from the Vandellas was included in these sessions, lending her vocals to 6 tracks.

What a fun fact that this LP includes 5 Marvelettes AND a Vandella. Does anyone know the circumstances on how Roz was chosen? And, besides the early years of the Supremes backing Mary Wells and the latter years of Marlene filling in for Flo and of course the Vandellas backing Marvin Gaye, can you think of any other girl group members that were interchangeable in the studio?

It was mentioned in here some time ago that Martha provided the harmony on Mary Wells' "Two Lovers." I had always figured that was an overdub of Mary herself but I believe Martha might have corroborated the story.

Mary Wells was the one that told me that Martha harmonized with her on "Two Lovers".

I would think that there are many instances of the various girl as well as guy group members helping out on each other's recordings. It could be something as simple as being at the studio that day and an extra voice was needed.

I recall reading where Lawrence Payton said he did vocals on AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH. I think the Originals did some vocals on some Four Tops songs. Both Martha Reeves and Otis Williams have mentioned being on MICKEY'S MONKEY. I'm sure there are tons of other examples.

I knew it sounded like Martha on "Two Lovers" with Mary!

OMG there are so many ...The Supremes and Marvin, Marvin and the Miracles, The Jackson and Steve...etc

Commodores & Jackson 5 [[and at that time they went by the name Mystics; I wonder which member came up with "Commodores"? Lol)

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I would think that there are many instances of the various girl as well as guy group members helping out on each other's recordings. It could be something as simple as being at the studio that day and an extra voice was needed.

I recall reading where Lawrence Payton said he did vocals on AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH. I think the Originals did some vocals on some Four Tops songs. Both Martha Reeves and Otis Williams have mentioned being on MICKEY'S MONKEY. I'm sure there are tons of other examples.
    Mary Wilson is also on "Mickey's Monkey".