[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    LOL. I think I brought her up as someone, who like Bobby Brown, owed a lot to her producers. There were better singers who never benefited from great songs like Janet and Bobby did. With that said, the "better" singers would have sounded like crap singing "Don't Be Cruel" and "Nasty Boys", so it's unfair for me to suggest that they had no talent.
    Could we add Paula Abdul to that group with Janet and Bobby? LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Teddy Pendergrass grew up in a rough area of North Philly. He didn't do nearly half the stuff Bobby did but that may be because he was raised in a God-fearing Christian household. That would make a difference between how he turned out and how Bobby who grew up in Roxbury turned out. Think his parents were religious too but they were too lenient on their kids. Would explain a lot.
    I know, I use to live Philly. Teddy took my friend Beverly to her senior prom in 1967. Yeah, Teddy was a mama's boy, a church boy when he was a kid. He got into things as he got older....we all did. I don't recall hearing that Bobby Brown's parents were that religious, I do know from meeting people when I lived in Boston that knew Bobby and the guys that they were partially raised by the streets! One night while I was still living there, Bobby and his soon to be brother in law were at the bar Barritz [[sp?). They got involved in a fight and a shoot out ensued. The brother in law was killed!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Could we add Paula Abdul to that group with Janet and Bobby? LOL!
    Paula is way worse lmao

In the Whitney docu, she called Paula out lol

"She is singing off key, on the record..." LOL

I know, I use to live Philly. Teddy took my friend Beverly to her senior prom in 1967. Yeah, Teddy was a mama's boy, a church boy when he was a kid. He got into things as he got older....we all did. I don't recall hearing that Bobby Brown's parents were that religious, I do know from meeting people when I lived in Boston that knew Bobby and the guys that they were partially raised by the streets! One night while I was still living there, Bobby and his soon to be brother in law were at the bar Barritz [[sp?). They got involved in a fight and a shoot out ensued. The brother in law was killed!
    Well Whitney mentioned his parents went to church saying they were as God-fearing as her parents. LOL

I think she was only saying that so people can stop acting like they were so different but truth was there were subtle differences. Some members of Whitney's family were PROFESSIONAL gospel singers and Bobby's family as you mentioned, ran the streets. BIG difference lol

Paula is way worse lmao

Didn't LaFace get sued by a backup singer who said that she sang the lead vocals on the album over Abdul? If I recall correctly, it was one of Rick James' Mary Jane Girls. To date, nobody has taken credit for singing any of Bobby's songs, so there's that. LOL.

Didn't LaFace get sued by a backup singer who said that she sang the lead vocals on the album over Abdul? If I recall correctly, it was one of Rick James' Mary Jane Girls. To date, nobody has taken credit for singing any of Bobby's songs, so there's that. LOL.
    Yessir. It was Yvette Marine [[a/k/a “Corvette”).

Yvette Marine, but she lost her suit against Paula.

Some folks claimed Ralph Tresvant took some leads or ad-libs on DBC because Bobby was not always in the studio.

Paula is way worse lmao

How can you sing off key on record? LOL!!!

Well Whitney mentioned his parents went to church saying they were as God-fearing as her parents. LOL

I think she was only saying that so people can stop acting like they were so different but truth was there were subtle differences. Some members of Whitney's family were PROFESSIONAL gospel singers and Bobby's family as you mentioned, ran the streets. BIG difference lol
    I really don't know much about Bobby's family. I do know the area he came up in was rough! I went everywhere around Boston and nothing shocked me, even the very racist South Boston. I remember for 2 solid weeks, I did not see one black person walking anywhere in Downtown Boston and then at the end of the 2nd week, I saw this kid come up out of the MTA with some other kids and he was black. LOL!

Bobby didn't sound real bad on "Roni" and I don't think on his first one "Girlfriend". Now I have not heard these songs in like 20 years so don't hold me to that. LOL!

I didn't know about the LaFace lawsuit.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Yessir. It was Yvette Marine [[a/k/a “Corvette”).
    Oh, ok Thanks Sansradio.

That just means you're a terrible vocalist lol

Bobby didn't sound real bad on "Roni" and I don't think on his first one "Girlfriend". Now I have not heard these songs in like 20 years so don't hold me to that. LOL!

I didn't know about the LaFace lawsuit.
    "Girlfriend" made my ears weep, Marv. They cried like a colicky child and the left one might have bled a little. I think the label owes me a refund and I didn't even buy the record.

I think she sang the whole record in B#.

Teddy Pendergrass grew up in a rough area of North Philly. He didn't do nearly half the stuff Bobby did but that may be because he was raised in a God-fearing Christian household. That would make a difference between how he turned out and how Bobby who grew up in Roxbury turned out. Think his parents were religious too but they were too lenient on their kids. Would explain a lot.
    Actually, it wouldn't. Growing up religious , and leniency on your kids is not a factor. In fact, the opposite may be more true because children rebel. Back when I was a kid, the worst kids had parents who were ministers and law enforcement.

"Girlfriend" made my ears weep, Marv. They cried like a colicky child and the left one might have bled a little. I think the label owes me a refund and I didn't even buy the record.
    Wow! LOL!!!!!! I promise you I couldn't remember what it sounded like. LOL!

I think she sang the whole record in B#.
    Darn! Are there any dancers that can sing just as well?

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Actually, it wouldn't. Growing up religious , and leniency on your kids is not a factor. In fact, the opposite may be more true because children rebel. Back when I was a kid, the worst kids had parents who were ministers and law enforcement.
    Now that's true. Remember "the son of a preacher man" LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    So you honestly think that Bobby Brown is a talented vocalist do you? Next you will be telling me that Janet Jackson is a talented vocalist.......
    I want you to show ME anywhere in any of my posts where I said that Bobby Brown was a talented vocalist. You need to stop lying. Why are you lying? What point are you attempting to make with your feeble lies on me? I do not like liars or people that put lies in others mouths or attribute what they know to be a lie to someone else. Just stop with the lies now! Stick to something I've said if you are so Hell bent on picking a fight with me.

I am waiting. What is taking you so long to point out where I said that Bobby Brown is a talented vocalist. You know you are lying.

Darn! Are there any dancers that can sing just as well?
    She could dance. A great dancer and choreographer. I always thought it funny that she was a judge on "American Idol". Say what you will about Bobby, Paula or Janet as singers, they all were great performers. With that said, I'm 100% most singers who jump around and put on high energy shows do so with backing vocal tracks, which I abhor. Dancing while singing in the same even voice while sucking in huge breaths, is nearly impossible. If I want to see my favorite artist lip sync, I'll watch the video. I can tell you that Bobby Brown didn't do that at the show I attended. I'm pretty sure Janet augments her shows and I know that Paula Abdul used to.

I want you to show ME anywhere in any of my posts where I said that Bobby Brown was a talented vocalist. You need to stop lying. Why are you lying? What point are you attempting to make with your feeble lies on me? I do not like liars or people that put lies in others mouths or attribute what they know to be a lie to someone else. Just stop with the lies now! Stick to something I've said if you are so Hell bent on picking a fight with me.

I am waiting. What is taking you so long to point out where I said that Bobby Brown is a talented vocalist. You know you are lying.
    I don't recall you saying it, Marv. Maybe he confused you with me when I said that although there were better vocalists who couldn't find a hit, I don't think the greatest hits from Janet or Bobby would have been as good if someone like Johnny Gill or Celine Dion sang them. They may not have been fantastic vocalists but they made the most of their opportunities.

Anyway back to Bobby...

Seems like the domestic violence claim against Whitney will continue to be a cloud against him:
    https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-a8471336.html

Also he can deny that Whitney called because Bobby hit her because she stopped short but she DID file spousal abuse claims against him at that time so it's in the record!!! Also HE turned himself in for misdemeanor battery.

If he has really changed as he said, he'd admit that he did wrong to Whitney. He can't even admit THAT!

Also Whitney told the world that Bobby spit at her and slapped her. He gonna deny that of course.

If the film shows him being abusive to Whitney, then this fool is stupider than I thought.
    Last edited by midnightman; 07-31-2018 at 06:44 PM.

I don't recall you saying it, Marv. Maybe he confused you with me when I said that although there were better vocalists who couldn't find a hit, I don't think the greatest hits from Janet or Bobby would have been as good if someone like Johnny Gill or Celine Dion sang them. They may not have been fantastic vocalists but they made the most of their opportunities.
    Jerry, that's because I've never said that! Uh uh, he did not confuse me with anyone. He has a history with trying to pick fights with me on here for some reason and I am getting very tired of it. I said that Bobby is very talented. He is an overall entertainer. He's even done some acting in a film with Martin Lawrence [[I can't remember the name of the movie at the moment). Bobby also raps at times in his music and his dancing is natural looking. I think some people have a "problem" with his perceived "thug" image [[you know where I am going with this.......) that may or may not actually exist.

I think because he did not come off prim and proper and was unapologetic about what he knew he could do. People did the same thing to Rick James when he first surfaced. There are a ton of huge Rock and Roll stars [[Bob Dylan anyone?) that can't sing shit! They sound like shit whenever I listen to Hard Rock artists trying to sing. They just sound like they are screaming to me. I know Bobby Brown can't do what Howard Hewitt does, but on the other hand, Howard could not do what Bobby did. I could name 3 dozen Rock stars that cannot sing even a little bit!
    Last edited by marv2; 07-31-2018 at 09:34 PM.

Anyway back to Bobby...

Seems like the domestic violence claim against Whitney will continue to be a cloud against him:
    https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-a8471336.html

Also he can deny that Whitney called because Bobby hit her because she stopped short but she DID file spousal abuse claims against him at that time so it's in the record!!! Also HE turned himself in for misdemeanor battery.

If he has really changed as he said, he'd admit that he did wrong to Whitney. He can't even admit THAT!

Also Whitney told the world that Bobby spit at her and slapped her. He gonna deny that of course.

If the film shows him being abusive to Whitney, then this fool is stupider than I thought.
    Look, I know you're young, but let me explain something about the World to you. NO MAN has to admit or explain anything to the public about what went on in his home between him and his wife! We don't know what part Whitney played in all that drama either. Bobby has a new wife that is good looking and intelligent from the interviews I've seen, along with a new family of kids. I really don't care too much at all about what he and Whitney got up to when they were married. Everybody in this country of hypocrites always want to jump on the man, which why we now have this "Me Too" situation. Leave it alone.

Jerry, that's because I've never said that! Uh uh, he did not confuse me with anyone. He has a history with trying to pick fights with me on here for some reason and I am getting very tired of it. I said that Bobby is very talented. He is an overall entertainer. He's even done some acting in a film with Martin Lawrence [[I can't remember the name of the movie at the moment). Bobby also raps at times in his music and his dancing is natural looking. I think some people have a "problem" with his perceived "thug" image [[you know where I am going with this.......) that may or may not actually exist.

I think because he did not come off prime and proper and unapologetic about what he knew he could do. People did the same thing to Rick James when he first surfaced. There are a ton of huge Rock and Rock stars [[Bob Dylan anyone?) that can't sing shit! They sound like shit whenever I listen to Hard Rock artists trying to sing. They just sound like they are screaming to me. I know Bobby Brown can't do what Howard Hewitt does, but on the other hand, Howard could not do what Bobby did. I could name 3 dozen Rock stars that cannot sing even a little bit!
    There are 10 mediocre-to-awful popular singers for every Luther Vandross out there. Very few artists can go from beautiful ballads to great dance cuts like a Johnnie Wilder, Jr. With that being said, a great producer can make a great artist by handling him or her the right way. So Bobby may not win a blind audition on "The Voice". So what? He sold records because people appreciated what he did, which was plenty. As I said before, my only problem [[which is MY problem) with him is I wish that someone who ascended so fast and so soon could have had a longer and more successful career. God bless that brother for who and what he is, though. Which is no better or worse than any of us.

There are 10 mediocre-to-awful popular singers for every Luther Vandross out there. Very few artists can go from beautiful ballads to great dance cuts like a Johnnie Wilder, Jr. With that being said, a great producer can make a great artist by handling him or her the right way. So Bobby may not win a blind audition on "The Voice". So what? He sold records because people appreciated what he did, which was plenty. As I said before, my only problem [[which is MY problem) with him is I wish that someone who ascended so fast and so soon could have had a longer and more successful career. God bless that brother for who and what he is, though. Which is no better or worse than any of us.
    Jerry I agree 1000%! Bobby [[and some others) were like tools [[as in instruments) for their producers. This is what went on often in the 60s with producers like Phil Spector, Holland-Dozier-Holland, Teddy Randazzo and many more. They took kids off of the streets and created hit records using what could be considered their modest talents. Even the early Beatles. None of them were great singers or musicians, but the producer more than helped create a sound for them that would be popular with the masses. How many times have you seen artists that once scored huge hits only to hit rock bottom once they changed labels and producers. Smokey created magic with Mary Wells. She was not a stellar singer, but she could do more than carry a tune and Smokey wrote and produced around her abilities.

I too wished Bobby could extended his thing a bit longer. I think he started to lapse once he married Whitney. He went out on the road with her instead of being in the studio working on his own music.

I wanted to add. Look at what Prince was able to do with Vanity and Apollonia! Perfect examples of the producer working magic.

God bless that brother for who and what he is, though. Which is no better or worse than any of us.
    That's it! That is all! Nuff said!

Look, I know you're young, but let me explain something about the World to you. NO MAN has to admit or explain anything to the public about what went on in his home between him and his wife! We don't know what part Whitney played in all that drama either. Bobby has a new wife that is good looking and intelligent from the interviews I've seen, along with a new family of kids. I really don't care too much at all about what he and Whitney got up to when they were married. Everybody in this country of hypocrites always want to jump on the man, which why we now have this "Me Too" situation. Leave it alone.
    You have absolutely no idea about the very important "Me Too" movement and how it is empowering ABUSED women to come forward and say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. Why would you? You defend and condone Ike Turner and Cosby and Pedro Ferrer and Bobby Brown. That is all! Nuff said!

I wanted to add. Look at what Prince was able to do with Vanity and Apollonia! Perfect examples of the producer working magic.
    Yep. Just a side note on Jamie Starr's productions is that I heard that Prince and Morris Day did almost all the songs on the Time's first LP. But it's amazing that their second record is my favorite soul/funk/R&B album from the '80s. But they were clearly the exception and not the rule.

Hmm... Now that I think about it, New Edition blossomed after leaving Maurice Starr [[no relation, LOL). There might be a good thread that can explore performers who left their labels/producers and wound up being better.

Got nothing to do with being young.

Wrong is wrong.

All I'm saying is Bobby lied a whole lot. And for that, he should be judged. You don't agree? Okay, but don't take it that "that's just the way things were or are".

That's how many abuse victims don't talk about their abuse because of those type of comments.

That's all.

You need to calm yourself down. If you read my post properly you would see that i asked you a question which was "so you honestly think that Bobby Brown is a talented vocalist do you"? Where exactly am i lying? You still haven't answered that question. Instead you are behaving as usual like a spoiled child who starts crying when he doesn't always get his own way. You appear hell bent on picking a fight with me. It would appear that i get under your skin which pleases me immensely. I must be doing something right. Why you are getting so angry over someone as insignificant as Bobby Brown is something only you can answer. I suggest you calm down before you say something you may come to regret. Life is too short to be so bitter and angry, but if you wish to carry on with the aggressive attitude then be my guest. It does amuse me and i do enjoy laughing at your pathetic rants, but you are really doing your long term health no good whatsoever with this attitude.

Got nothing to do with being young.

Wrong is wrong.

All I'm saying is Bobby lied a whole lot. And for that, he should be judged. You don't agree? Okay, but don't take it that "that's just the way things were or are".

That's how many abuse victims don't talk about their abuse because of those type of comments.

That's all.
    Ever hear the phrase "T'aint nobody's bizness if I do"? I do not agree that he be judged by anyone but God. It is ok to make an observation, but I draw the line when the individual engaged in questionable behavior in his personal life vs his public life. It would concern me more if Bobby Brown had a reputation of being mean and mistreating people in general. His personal business is his business!

Yep. Just a side note on Jamie Starr's productions is that I heard that Prince and Morris Day did almost all the songs on the Time's first LP. But it's amazing that their second record is my favorite soul/funk/R&B album from the '80s. But they were clearly the exception and not the rule.

Hmm... Now that I think about it, New Edition blossomed after leaving Maurice Starr [[no relation, LOL). There might be a good thread that can explore performers who left their labels/producers and wound up being better.
    I remember that and also the fact that Prince played on the instruments and sang all the parts on his first couple of albums. Also regarding Maurice Starr, didn't he go on to manage New Kids on the Block after New Edition left?

So much Bobby hate. Lol Wow. I'll be watching the movie. The NE movie was surprisingly well done, so I'll give this one a chance.

Hating means jealousy. What's there to hate about Bobby? LOL

Y'all do the most because he was in New Edition. As Jerry said, he was the WEAKEST LINK in New Edition lmao [[and I don't mean in terms of success either)

All this strife over Bobby Brown? Give me a break.

^

LMAO!!!

I mean they can't accept an opinion. XD

Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    All this strife over Bobby Brown? Give me a break.
    Ok Ralph, now that does sound funny hehehehehehehe!

Here is an updated video on Bobby Brown uploaded 3 days ago. His daughter is making this public:

I remember that and also the fact that Prince played on the instruments and sang all the parts on his first couple of albums. Also regarding Maurice Starr, didn't he go on to manage New Kids on the Block after New Edition left?
    I think he did. He tried to sue the members of New Edition to keep the name after they dropped him. He told the courts that he conceived the group to be like an R&B version of Menudo; a group with constantly rotating members but keeping the same name. You see how that turned out. Now, it's ironic that Ralph and Johnny jumped on the name trademark and are shutting their former bandmates out. ..Isn't that the same problem with En Vogue? Same story, actually with a production team creating an urban music concept, finding new faces and voices to take the spots, the band splitting up and then former members fighting over who gets to use the name. The music industry is a meat grinder.

Hating means jealousy. What's there to hate about Bobby? LOL

Y'all do the most because he was in New Edition. As Jerry said, he was the WEAKEST LINK in New Edition lmao [[and I don't mean in terms of success either)
    I'm not talking hate in the slang sense, I'm talking of it in it's original definition. Lol And no disrespect to Jerry, but he has an opinion just like everyone else. I personally don't think he was the weak link in NE. Not at all.

I think he did. He tried to sue the members of New Edition to keep the name after they dropped him. He told the courts that he conceived the group to be like an R&B version of Menudo; a group with constantly rotating members but keeping the same name. You see how that turned out. Now, it's ironic that Ralph and Johnny jumped on the name trademark and are shutting their former bandmates out. ..Isn't that the same problem with En Vogue? Same story, actually with a production team creating an urban music concept, finding new faces and voices to take the spots, the band splitting up and then former members fighting over who gets to use the name. The music industry is a meat grinder.
    The fighting over a groups' name goes back much further than En Vogue. The Shirelles went through that with Beverly Lee coming out the winner years and years ago. If Ralph and Johnny are doing this, to me it spells the official end to New Edition. There will be hard feelings and they will last for a very long time........

The other four members thought that they had agreed to a reunion tour but Ralph and Johnny pulled out and took the name with them. Now, the Ronnie, Bobby, Ricky and Mike will go on tour as RBRM which is short for... Ronnie Bobby Ricky and Mike. This is as bad as Charlie Wilson telling his brother Robert that he couldn't use the name Gap Band even though Charlie is no longer involved with the Gap Band.

I hear rumors that BBD blame Johnny for this. When Ralph had his 50th birthday this May, each member of NE except for Bobby [[last I checked) gave him a bday shoutout. Bobby still got issues with any member give or take [[may be with Johnny; he actually did like a few posts from Ralph's IG while this drama continues; it's a mess). They either can't stand each other's guts or they love too hard.

I honestly can't understand at this juncture why Bobby is even still performing in either set. All he does is stand there and talk-sings while dancers back him since he can't do it anymore even WITH the weight loss. He'll be 50 next year.

But right now with Bobby's mess in the news, NE is gonna have a harder time to climb. And if Bobby's movie actually bashes his NE mates, it's gonna be awkward being in the dressing room with Bobby, Ronnie, Mike and Ricky.

The other four members thought that they had agreed to a reunion tour but Ralph and Johnny pulled out and took the name with them. Now, the Ronnie, Bobby, Ricky and Mike will go on tour as RBRM which is short for... Ronnie Bobby Ricky and Mike. This is as bad as Charlie Wilson telling his brother Robert that he couldn't use the name Gap Band even though Charlie is no longer involved with the Gap Band.
    Again, all this is hardly new. For instance, there is current 2 Dramatics group, Willie Ford's group and LJ Reynold's group. There was for a time two competing Contours groups. You also have "Martha Reeves & The Vandellas and "The Original Vandellas" out there. There were tons of Temptations like groups each one headed by a former Temptation. This situation also goes back to all of those Drifters, Coasters and Platters groups that were all out there performing all over the place at the same time. You even had a group called "The Drifting Coasters" or something like that. LOL! The Manhattans split into two groups before several of the original members passed away. Jody Whatley current has her own "Shalamar" group out there and Howard and Jeffrey Daniels tour with Dick Griffey's daughter. Jody and Howard absolutely hate one another. There are many other instances where the original group breaks up and people fight over the name, etc.

Did this preview refer to BB as the "King of R & B"? I thought that was R. Kelly.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Did this preview refer to BB as the "King of R & B"? I thought that was R. Kelly.
    R. Kelly? You're confusing him with the "King of R & Pee".

R. Kelly? You're confusing him with the "King of R & Pee".
    #DEAD

I always thought the rightful King of R&B was Solomon Burke, myself.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    The king of R&B, in the time of Bobby, was Luther Vandross.

Whitney was the one who gave him that title. That became a running joke too. Adele Givens was the one who originated the "king of rocks and blunts" title for Bobby.

She said Whitney was "on them oodles of noodles" for saying Bobby was "the original R&B king" and said "is Bobby Womack in the house or something?" And then said, "how can you call Bobby Brown the ORIGINAL R&B king? Now if you meant 'rocks and blunts', then yeah you have a point."
    Last edited by midnightman; 08-02-2018 at 12:13 PM.