[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The Bobby Brown Story Trailer

Between the New Edition story and the Whitney movies, you wonder how many times can Bobby's story be told. He definitely stayed in the news more than all of the other members put together. It may be an interesting movie, I'm just not feeling the lady cast as Whitney.

I have a bad feeling he's gonna trash two of our biggest legends [[Whitney and Janet) in this.

I'm just waiting for the public shaming. BB&D should be ashamed of still associating with this clown. Bobby's the reason that Home Again tour went bust because his narcissistic, coke and alcohol-addicted a$$ didn't wanna leave the stage.

What???i hadn't heard of this til now,you would think that[bet]could find someone more deserving to feature.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    What???i hadn't heard of this til now,you would think that[bet]could find someone more deserving to feature.
    Bobby wanted one after the New Edition biopic so naturally BET gave him one. It's insulting, really.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I have a bad feeling he's gonna trash two of our biggest legends [[Whitney and Janet) in this.

I'm just waiting for the public shaming. BB&D should be ashamed of still associating with this clown. Bobby's the reason that Home Again tour went bust because his narcissistic, coke and alcohol-addicted a$$ didn't wanna leave the stage.
    I think you are being totally unfair to Bobby Brown. Can you tell me exactly what he has factually done? I don't want rumors. I want facts.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I think you are being totally unfair to Bobby Brown. Can you tell me exactly what he has factually done? I don't want rumors. I want facts.
    Claimed he was in a relationship with Janet Jackson and after she told him she couldn't be with him because Papa Joe hated dark skinned black men, he kicked her out of the hotel room in her panties [[and he actually SAID THIS, now if that was true or not, who knows, but that came from HIM).

Said Whitney got him into cocaine [[no he didn't get her on it but I don't think Whitney nab "poor Bobby" into her drug zone). He was already messing with coke before he got with her [[i.e., New Edition bio). Maybe not as much as Whitney [[according to her brothers, they clowned him for not being on coke as much as them at the time) but still a good amount.

Those are NOT rumors, dude.

Also, he keeps changing his words. Seriously would you trust a guy like this?

But yeah I'm unfair to a two-album wonder has-been lol

Last edited by midnightman; 07-23-2018 at 10:29 PM.

No disrespect intended, but Bobby Brown was the worst singer in New Edition. His second album serves as his greatest hits collection with wonderful production from LaFace and Teddy Riley making them the true stars on the record. His ego is much bigger than his level of talent, in my opinion. I'm amazed at how huge his pop culture footprint proved to be.

I'm not looking forward to the movie because most biopics do their best to hide the warts of their subjects without realizing that those warts are what makes them relatable. "Walk The Line" and "Ray" were so good because they showed the dark side of their subjects. I have a feeling that this movie might actually show his low point, but it might prove to make him look better than it needs to. Sort of like how the Temptations movie showed dirt on everyone but Otis, who had a role in its production. There's nothing wrong with being human.

Claimed he was in a relationship with Janet Jackson and after she told him she couldn't be with him because Papa Joe hated dark skinned black men, he kicked her out of the hotel room in her panties [[and he actually SAID THIS, now if that was true or not, who knows, but that came from HIM).

Said Whitney got him into cocaine [[no he didn't get her on it but I don't think Whitney nab "poor Bobby" into her drug zone). He was already messing with coke before he got with her [[i.e., New Edition bio). Maybe not as much as Whitney [[according to her brothers, they clowned him for not being on coke as much as them at the time) but still a good amount.

Those are NOT rumors, dude.
    They sound like rumors tio me. Where did you get your information?

[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    No disrespect intended, but Bobby Brown was the worst singer in New Edition. His second album serves as his greatest hits collection with wonderful production from LaFace and Teddy Riley making them the true stars on the record. His ego is much bigger than his level of talent, in my opinion. I'm amazed at how huge his pop culture footprint proved to be.

I'm not looking forward to the movie because most biopics do their best to hide the warts of their subjects without realizing that those warts are what makes them relatable. "Walk The Line" and "Ray" were so good because they showed the dark side of their subjects. I have a feeling that this movie might actually show his low point, but it might prove to make him look better than it needs to. Sort of like how the Temptations movie showed dirt on everyone but Otis, who had a role in its production. There's nothing wrong with being human.
    Right. And I agree in retrospect that he was indeed the worst of the singers in NE. Johnny, Ricky and Ralph sing much better than him and it's easy to see why Ralph was picked as lead singer over Bobby. The real reason the second album became huge was because Teddy Riley and Babyface were THE MEN of the hour and they created some great songs that ended up in Bobby's lap because after the first one bombed something hard, he needed something to blow him up. Had it not been for his performance skills, which was always way better than his singing [[well then anyway lmao) and him being some 19-year-old kid, it wouldn't have worked. It was more of the "right place at the right time" scenarios. And I love Don't Be Cruel.

But there is a reason his DBC follow-up only went platinum because the songs weren't as good as times were changing. Ironically the same year he released that "Bobby" album, Whitney was heading into megastar status with "The Bodyguard".

They will show the dark side. I mean at one point, he got addicted to heroin and overdosed and that's why he got that lip drawl, which has probably subsided now but he still shows effects of it.

Also, for those [[including Whitney's bros) who think he was a "lightweight", he seemed to be in a rush to snort something during this performance:

Drug issues, DUI's, domestic violence, that "reality show", I can go on and on... just a MESS that he is.

Bobby Brown was one of my favorite music acts in the late 80s. He definitely has an amazing story to tell. He was full of charisma, star power and confidence, as well as full of sh*t as some people would surmise. LOL! Bad boy personified!

Still, you cannot deny that he is very talented and lived his life BIG! I am looking forward to this bio-pic. Thank you Luciano for the heads up!
    Last edited by marv2; 07-24-2018 at 01:53 PM.

You have to remember people: the focus of the New Jack Swing wasn't vocal prowess. It was all about the music, the groove, the vibe. That's where Bobby shone. If you're looking for a vocal performance, Bobby Brown isn't it. Johnny Gill is.

The New Jack Swing era wasn't about the old geezers who came up in the 60s, it was about the youngbloods. It wasn't exactly hip-hop, and it wasn't exactly R&B. It was a mixture of both, with some funk added in for flava. remember that when you're continually bashing Bobby Brown.

Me? I dug his "Don't be Cruel" album, and "My Prerogative" is my jam! Teddy Riley was behind it? So what!

Everybody's talkin' all this stuff about me
    Why don't they just let me live [[Tell me why)

And, "Humpin' Around" is another fantastic jam!

You have to remember people: the focus of the New Jack Swing wasn't vocal prowess. It was all about the music, the groove, the vibe. That's where Bobby shone. If you're looking for a vocal performance, Bobby Brown isn't it. Johnny Gill is.

The New Jack Swing era wasn't about the old geezers who came up in the 60s, it was about the youngbloods. It wasn't exactly hip-hop, and it wasn't exactly R&B. It was a mixture of both, with some funk added in for flava. remember that when you're continually bashing Bobby Brown.

Me? I dug his "Don't be Cruel" album, and "My Prerogative" is my jam! Teddy Riley was behind it? So what!

Throw in "On Our Own" from "Ghostbusters II" and you have an anthology......hehehehehehe!

Like I said before, "Don't Be Cruel" [[the album) could serve as his greatest hits collection for me. Every song on the album was dynamite. Just like Keith Sweat's "Make It Last Forever", which Riley also produced. I'm wondering if the New Jack Swing era is when producers actually became the stars of the records. Teddy Riley [[along with Gene Griffin) put his footprint all over that genre. Remember "Him Or Me" by Today? Dude had similar difficulty singing in key to Bobby but that song was the jam. The production was the star of that song. I never really gave it much thought but Riley might have been one of the most influential producers and artists from the standpoint that you have dozens of guys following his blueprint.

Maybe he needs his own thread.

Like I said before, "Don't Be Cruel" [[the album) could serve as his greatest hits collection for me. Every song on the album was dynamite. Just like Keith Sweat's "Make It Last Forever", which Riley also produced. I'm wondering if the New Jack Swing era is when producers actually became the stars of the records. Teddy Riley [[along with Gene Griffin) put his footprint all over that genre. Remember "Him Or Me" by Today? Dude had similar difficulty singing in key to Bobby but that song was the jam. The production was the star of that song. I never really gave it much thought but Riley might have been one of the most influential producers and artists from the standpoint that you have dozens of guys following his blueprint.

Maybe he needs his own thread.
    Teddy Riley and his productions would warrant a separate thread.

Completely agree with you. He was a talent free zone with an ego the size of a stadium. I still have nightmares over his behaviour when he was promoting the DON'T BE CRUEL album. He was rude, abusive, foul mouthed and totally unprofessional. I would just about have tolerated this had he had any musical talent to offer, but he quite simply could not carry a tune in a bucket. All this was prior to him meeting Whitney, and i have been told his behaviour became even worse once his record sales began to slide. An odious human being with no redeeming features.

Just like Keith Sweat's "Make It Last Forever", which Riley also produced.
    Teddy Riley co-produced that first album with Sweat. He was already in the music business, working as a Wall Street assistant broker at day, producer/singer/songwriter at night.

What surprises me is that Sweat is his real surname!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    ...and i have been told his behaviour became even worse once his record sales began to slide. An odious human being with no redeeming features.
    Are you sure it wasn't the drugs influencing his behavior?

And, before the tired old lie gets out of hand: Whitney was already a drug user and a "problem child" user before she met Bobby Brown.

Yeah, Whitney's problems are well documented. She went into her relationship with Bobby with a long and public record that told her who he was so anyone who places her decline on him is trying to find a reason to blame someone.

Teddy Riley co-produced that first album with Sweat. He was already in the music business, working as a Wall Street assistant broker at day, producer/singer/songwriter at night.

What surprises me is that Sweat is his real surname!
    Keith Sweat was another singer with a unique voice that benefited greatly from working with great producers. The difference between him and Bobby Brown is that Sweat's voice actually made the records better whereas Brown's voice didn't ruin them.

That might sound harsh, but listen to the songs on his first album. Those songs sound like the musical equivalent of the shock you feel after noticing an elephant turd floating in a hot tub. To his credit, Ralph Tresvant had a better voice but Brown produced better records, so I won't suggest that he got by on charisma alone. He just was never going to be one of my favorite singers. He didn't have to be one of my favorite people.

He just was never going to be one of my favorite singers. He didn't have to be one of my favorite people.
    I know most of the SDF crowd tends to focus only on the singing, but, again, the vocal wasn't the point of New Jack Swing. It was the music.

Notice how Bobby's vocal is always processed to a degree? That tells you right there that he didn't have the chops. But, so what? The recordings still sounded good. I enjoy them more than any of the other New Edition spawns.

Like I said, Bobby honestly couldn't sing to save his life.

Without Babyface and Teddy, the songs wouldn't have sizzled as they did. Lucky for Bobby at the time, he was in the right era where hip-hop and dance pop/R&B mixed perfectly that he could get away with it until it got old real fast.

By the time "Humpin' Around" came out, all the people who had bought Don't Be Cruel had moved on to other R&B talents.

I only say he was a two-album wonder because the "Bobby" album went platinum but it fell REAL short of Don't Be Cruel, Bobby's only moment of real superstardom. Afterwards, when he married Whitney, he just became Whitney's husband.

Also, the film's trailer did point out that drugs had taken over his need to continue his career so at least it's honest in that department.

A new trailer came out the other day and let's just say there are gonna be a few scenes that will be hard to watch especially when it comes to Bobby & Whitney.
    Last edited by midnightman; 07-26-2018 at 11:07 PM.

Keith Sweat was another singer with a unique voice that benefited greatly from working with great producers. The difference between him and Bobby Brown is that Sweat's voice actually made the records better whereas Brown's voice didn't ruin them.

That might sound harsh, but listen to the songs on his first album. Those songs sound like the musical equivalent of the shock you feel after noticing an elephant turd floating in a hot tub. To his credit, Ralph Tresvant had a better voice but Brown produced better records, so I won't suggest that he got by on charisma alone. He just was never going to be one of my favorite singers. He didn't have to be one of my favorite people.
    Keith had more range but he always sounded like he was whining lmao [[that was something that was repeated often during his heyday; I still remember the stand up routine on Comic View where this female comic compared him to a child whining about food to the tune of "Nobody" lol)

THAT SAID, Keith had more classics than Bobby so he did have something that Bobby didn't have. Ralph's solo career was tragic, I wished people really knew how to produce him like they knew how to produce Bobby!

Yeah, Whitney's problems are well documented. She went into her relationship with Bobby with a long and public record that told her who he was so anyone who places her decline on him is trying to find a reason to blame someone.
    I wouldn't blame Bobby either but he surely was no help!

Since he came into the relationship with his own drug baggage. Both of them controlled it to a fault until they met each other. Them enabling each other made it worse for the both of them imho.

Completely agree with you. He was a talent free zone with an ego the size of a stadium. I still have nightmares over his behaviour when he was promoting the DON'T BE CRUEL album. He was rude, abusive, foul mouthed and totally unprofessional. I would just about have tolerated this had he had any musical talent to offer, but he quite simply could not carry a tune in a bucket. All this was prior to him meeting Whitney, and i have been told his behaviour became even worse once his record sales began to slide. An odious human being with no redeeming features.
    People would just excuse that to say "well he was 19, of course he was gonna be rude". But that was the opposite of, say, Michael Jackson...

And yeah everyone is in pretty much agreement that Bobby's behavior got worse once he couldn't sell records anymore, which was about 99.5% his fault.

THAT SAID, Keith had more classics than Bobby so he did have something that Bobby didn't have. Ralph's solo career was tragic, I wished people really knew how to produce him like they knew how to produce Bobby!
    That's a sad fact of the music game. I was still a boy when my dad taught me that Tony Williams wasn't the same without the Platters and Paul Desmond wasn't as good without Dave Brubeck as he was with him. The list is long [[consider Michael Cooper after Con Funk Shun disbanded). Sometimes, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Ralph had great songs to sing with New Edition and a whole lot of yawners without them. To be honest though, he never put a lot of lung or inflection into even his hits. Like a male version of Janet Jackson [[don't @ me for that statement, y'all).

Are you sure it wasn't the drugs influencing his behavior?

And, before the tired old lie gets out of hand: Whitney was already a drug user and a "problem child" user before she met Bobby Brown.
    Yes, i am well aware of that. I never implied otherwise. We are discussing Bobby Brown here not Whitney.

People would just excuse that to say "well he was 19, of course he was gonna be rude". But that was the opposite of, say, Michael Jackson...

And yeah everyone is in pretty much agreement that Bobby's behavior got worse once he couldn't sell records anymore, which was about 99.5% his fault.
    Yeah well, Michael's public behavior could be attributed to his father, Mr. Joseph Jackson, but many people like to slam him! Bobby Brown did not have a father constant in his life [[to my knowledge) and definitely not one that was as determined as Joe Jackson to make him a star. Bobby Brown made himself a star! He willed it! He is truly amazing if you believe the bullshit I just read on here! For a person with ZERO talent, he became the biggest male R&B artist during the 1988-90 time period! LOL!!! That is not an easy fete!

That's a sad fact of the music game. I was still a boy when my dad taught me that Tony Williams wasn't the same without the Platters and Paul Desmond wasn't as good without Dave Brubeck as he was with him. The list is long [[consider Michael Cooper after Con Funk Shun disbanded). Sometimes, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Ralph had great songs to sing with New Edition and a whole lot of yawners without them. To be honest though, he never put a lot of lung or inflection into even his hits. Like a male version of Janet Jackson [[don't @ me for that statement, y'all).
    Yeah well there are cases such as Jeffrey Osborne and LTD!

Jeffrey went on without a hitch, didn't he? And Michael Jackson and Lionel Ritchie took it to another level, altogether. Gerald Alston had some good solo stuff but his Manhattans work will always be his best. Same with Eddie Kendricks and David Ruffin, IMO. And I won't even mention YKW. Everybody's going to have an opinion on her.

Yes, i am well aware of that. I never implied otherwise. We are discussing Bobby Brown here not Whitney.
    Exactly and as for how Whitney wasn't perfect, yeah, even Whitney admitted it.

Bobby's mother was a drug dealer.
    Bobby's father was allegedly a rapist and child abuser.
    Bobby joined a gang at age eight. Got shot at nine.
    According to the NE biopic, got arrested for drug use and MCA had to keep Bobby from being given a sentence.

Bobby wasn't innocent either and even the a$$ would admit that. Also he was doing coke before he met Whitney in February '89.

Bobby HIMSELF was a "problem child" and the trailer itself SHOWED IT.
    Last edited by midnightman; 07-28-2018 at 02:54 PM.

Maybe the movie will be therapeutic for him.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yeah well, Michael's public behavior could be attributed to his father, Mr. Joseph Jackson, but many people like to slam him! Bobby Brown did not have a father constant in his life [[to my knowledge) and definitely not one that was as determined as Joe Jackson to make him a star. Bobby Brown made himself a star! He willed it! He is truly amazing if you believe the bullshit I just read on here! For a person with ZERO talent, he became the biggest male R&B artist during the 1988-90 time period! LOL!!! That is not an easy fete!
    So you honestly think that Bobby Brown is a talented vocalist do you? Next you will be telling me that Janet Jackson is a talented vocalist.......

Have to agree with BLUEBROCK ... neither Bobby B or Janet J could sing for coffee ... both were at a level [[vocally) where just being a group backing vocalist should have been their limit.

Exactly and as for how Whitney wasn't perfect, yeah, even Whitney admitted it.

Bobby's mother was a drug dealer.
    Bobby's father was allegedly a rapist and child abuser.
    Bobby joined a gang at age eight. Got shot at nine.
    According to the NE biopic, got arrested for drug use and MCA had to keep Bobby from being given a sentence.

Bobby wasn't innocent either and even the a$$ would admit that. Also he was doing coke before he met Whitney in February '89.

Bobby HIMSELF was a "problem child" and the trailer itself SHOWED IT.
    Not everyone was born into such a great life. I'm sure that if you had grown up under such circumstances, you'd have been a 'problem child" too.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    Have to agree with BLUEBROCK ... neither Bobby B or Janet J could sing for coffee ... both were at a level [[vocally) where just being a group backing vocalist should have been their limit.
    No disrespect to either. But in the immortal words of my late cousin Alonso [[referring to me, of course), if Bobby Brown was singing for dog shit, he'd be two turds in the hole. And Janet took three albums before Jam & Lewis could trust her to sing in anything more than a whisper. I say these things as fans of both singers [[more a Janet fan than a Bobby fan because of Jam & Lewis).

Janet had the songs, the style, the pop appeal AND the moves. In other words, she was the complete package whereas Bobby...wasn't.

Janet's last album was great though. She actually sang on that record but I'm a biased fan, I love ALL of her post-84 recordings.

Janet had the songs, the style, the pop appeal AND the moves. In other words, she was the complete package whereas Bobby...wasn't.

Janet's last album was great though. She actually sang on that record but I'm a biased fan, I love ALL of her post-84 recordings.
    You sure are biased because Bobby Brown could out dance Janet Jackson anyday. Bobby didn't do that "military" regimented style of dancing Janet did with her dancers.

Here's an even better example....boy's bad! LOL!

and my all time favorite Bobby Brown performance.........hehehehehehe!

I remember seeing a Bobby Brown show in the '80s. He was the headliner although I preferred other acts on the lineup [[Brick, Michael Henderson, Zapp). Brown put on a good show but I left dissatisfied because he only performed for about 30-40 minutes and didn't even sing all of the songs on his album that I liked. I know he only had two records up until that point, but if he was on top of a card of seasoned musical vets, I'd have appreciated him taking the show over the top. Of course, nobody can really do that following a Roger Troutman show but still...

With that said, back then he definitely had energy and the crowd got into it. In my personal opinion, he got off to a great start so early in his career and didn't build on it. I couldn't care much less about the drama off the stage because we all have drama and none of us should cast rocks.

That's not an excuse for being a prick and judged by your actions, though. If I had first hand experience with him like Bluebrock, I'd feel exactly the same way.

I remember seeing a Bobby Brown show in the '80s. He was the headliner although I preferred other acts on the lineup [[Brick, Michael Henderson, Zapp). Brown put on a good show but I left dissatisfied because he only performed for about 30-40 minutes and didn't even sing all of the songs on his album that I liked. I know he only had two records up until that point, but if he was on top of a card of seasoned musical vets, I'd have appreciated him taking the show over the top. Of course, nobody can really do that following a Roger Troutman show but still...

With that said, back then he definitely had energy and the crowd got into it. In my personal opinion, he got off to a great start so early in his career and didn't build on it. I couldn't care much less about the drama off the stage because we all have drama and none of us should cast rocks.

That's not an excuse for being a prick and judged by your actions, though. If I had first hand experience with him like Bluebrock, I'd feel exactly the same way.
    I agree Jerry and there is an interview where Bobby complains that he was only given 25 mins for his segment of a concert when he wanted more time to entertain "the people". He love being onstage. I look past all the drama because living in Boston, I got a first hand look at how he and the other members of New Edition came up. ROUGH! Similar to Detroit, Philly, Chicago and NYC! For him to come out of that and make a name for himself is commendable in my opinion. I know people like him, that's another reason why I cannot judge his person life and habits too harshly. His job was to entertain and that is what he did and he did it well!

You sure are biased because Bobby Brown could out dance Janet Jackson anyday. Bobby didn't do that "military" regimented style of dancing Janet did with her dancers.
    Lol I didn't mention that Janet danced better than Bobby.

Lol I didn't mention that Janet danced better than Bobby.
    I was going to say, please don't tell me you believe that. LOL! Why are we talking about Janet Jackson in this thread anyway?

I was going to say, please don't tell me you believe that. LOL! Why are we talking about Janet Jackson in this thread anyway?
    LOL. I think I brought her up as someone, who like Bobby Brown, owed a lot to her producers. There were better singers who never benefited from great songs like Janet and Bobby did. With that said, the "better" singers would have sounded like crap singing "Don't Be Cruel" and "Nasty Boys", so it's unfair for me to suggest that they had no talent.

Janet was mentioned because she's hinted at being in this Bobby biopic and it took on from there.

And Jerry brought her up as a comparison to Bobby as how they were being produced.

LOL. I think I brought her up as someone, who like Bobby Brown, owed a lot to her producers. There were better singers who never benefited from great songs like Janet and Bobby did. With that said, the "better" singers would have sounded like crap singing "Don't Be Cruel" and "Nasty Boys", so it's unfair for me to suggest that they had no talent.
    Oh Bobby had talent. And the drive.

But he also was self-destructive. His ego [[and crimes) overshadowed his talent and he really has no one to blame but himself for that.

He still ain't take no blame in why his marriage to Whitney didn't work, STILL saying Whitney didn't call the cops on him when it was obvious she did!

I look past all the drama because living in Boston, I got a first hand look at how he and the other members of New Edition came up. ROUGH! Similar to Detroit, Philly, Chicago and NYC! For him to come out of that and make a name for himself is commendable in my opinion. I know people like him, that's another reason why I cannot judge his person life and habits too harshly. His job was to entertain and that is what he did and he did it well!
    Soooooo...having said that, what do you think of R. Kelly?

I agree Jerry and there is an interview where Bobby complains that he was only given 25 mins for his segment of a concert when he wanted more time to entertain "the people". He love being onstage. I look past all the drama because living in Boston, I got a first hand look at how he and the other members of New Edition came up. ROUGH! Similar to Detroit, Philly, Chicago and NYC! For him to come out of that and make a name for himself is commendable in my opinion. I know people like him, that's another reason why I cannot judge his person life and habits too harshly. His job was to entertain and that is what he did and he did it well!
    Teddy Pendergrass grew up in a rough area of North Philly. He didn't do nearly half the stuff Bobby did but that may be because he was raised in a God-fearing Christian household. That would make a difference between how he turned out and how Bobby who grew up in Roxbury turned out. Think his parents were religious too but they were too lenient on their kids. Would explain a lot.