[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    #DEAD

I always thought the rightful King of R&B was Solomon Burke, myself.
    In terms of who you talk to, it's either him, Ray Charles, James Brown, Otis Redding or Marvin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    R. Kelly? You're confusing him with the "King of R & Pee".
    Now that is TOO cold! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    In terms of who you talk to, it's either him, Ray Charles, James Brown, Otis Redding or Marvin.
    I think it depends on the era.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I think it depends on the era.
    I couldn't call it, myself. I'd probably go with Ray Charles as the ORIGINAL king.

Ray also had Sam Cooke and Jackie Wilson to contend with the original R&B king title lol

But yeah he would fit that title.

I couldn't call it, myself. I'd probably go with Ray Charles as the ORIGINAL king.
    I always think of Ray Charles as "The Father of R&B".

Ray Charles is definitely a front runner. I'd add Marvin Gaye also, Luther as well. Scandal aside, R Kelly definitely has a case for it. Bobby Brown shouldn't even be in the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Ray Charles is definitely a front runner. I'd add Marvin Gaye also, Luther as well. Scandal aside, R Kelly definitely has a case for it. Bobby Brown shouldn't even be in the conversation.
    In terms of eras:

'50s [[Ray Charles or Sam Cooke)
    '60s [[James Brown, Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett, Solomon Burke, Marvin)
    '70s [[Marvin, Stevie, Al Green, Barry White, Teddy Pendergrass)
    '80s [[Luther, Freddie Jackson)
    '90s [[Luther, R & Pee)

Bobby only had one smash album [[Don't Be Cruel) and it's seen mainly as a new jack swing album with SOME pop and R&B in it. That's not enough to be [in my best Whitney voice] "the original R&B KINNNNG-NUH" [[lol; that's how she said it if you hear it right hahaha; I miss you Whitney).

The follow-up only had Humpin' Around, Getaway and Good Enough [[which was only successful on the R&B side) and that was only because R&B again was going through a transition from pop-inflected new jack swing to a much harsher, darker R&B sound that was to be dominated by Mary J. Blige. So Bobby's time was over in 1992-93.
    Last edited by midnightman; 08-04-2018 at 11:28 AM.

LOL. Interesting discussion regarding "king of R&B". Given the fact that kings have successors, I'd suggest that Ray Charles, Sam Cooke, Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, Jackie Wilson et.al are all "kings of R&B". Whitney did say "original king", though. That's why I went with Ray. I still chuckle when I think of Bobby Brown being the original king of R&B, though. Cocaine is a hell of a drug, Whitney.

LOL. Interesting discussion regarding "king of R&B". Given the fact that kings have successors, I'd suggest that Ray Charles, Sam Cooke, Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, Jackie Wilson et.al are all "kings of R&B". Whitney did say "original king", though. That's why I went with Ray. I still chuckle when I think of Bobby Brown being the original king of R&B, though. Cocaine is a hell of a drug, Whitney.
    According to a L.A. Times music critic, Whitney also said he was the king of hip-hop. LOL

That woman spent years trying to make Bobby feel like something. We all saw how Bobby repaid her.

She knew it was BS but said it anyway.

I am guessing that she used that term because there had never been a officially proclaimed "King of R&B", unlike when James Brown was known as the "King of Soul" in the sixties.

Well, Liz Taylor called Michael Jackson the "King of Pop, Rock and Soul" but he got tagged with the worst moniker in music, the "King of Pop". I have always hated that title.

I still refer to MJ as "The Gloved One" or "The King" period.

In terms of eras:

'50s [[Ray Charles or Sam Cooke)
    '60s [[James Brown, Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett, Solomon Burke, Marvin)
    '70s [[Marvin, Stevie, Barry White, Teddy Pendergrass)
    '80s [[Luther, Freddie Jackson, Keith Sweat)
    '90s [[Luther, R & Pee)

Bobby only had one smash album [[Don't Be Cruel) and it's seen mainly as a new jack swing album with SOME pop and R&B in it. That's not enough to be [in my best Whitney voice] "the original R&B KINNNNG-NUH" [[lol; that's how she said it if you hear it right hahaha; I miss you Whitney).

The follow-up only had Humpin' Around, Getaway and Good Enough [[which was only successful on the R&B side) and that was only because R&B again was going through a transition from pop-inflected new jack swing to a much harsher, darker R&B sound that was to be dominated by Mary J. Blige. So Bobby's time was over in 1992-93.
    I would add Al Green to the 70's list. He was quite magnificent, and i would delete Keith Sweat from the 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I would add Al Green to the 70's list. He was quite magnificent, and i would delete Keith Sweat from the 80's.
    UGH I forgot Al!!! -_-

Yeah I thought about the Keith inclusion... seems unfair when Luther and Freddie had that down pat.

Well, Liz Taylor called Michael Jackson the "King of Pop, Rock and Soul" but he got tagged with the worst moniker in music, the "King of Pop". I have always hated that title.
    I didn't like that title either. King of the Charts probably wouldn't have worked either.

I still refer to MJ as "The Gloved One" or "The King" period.
    I think Elvis' fans refer to him as "The King".

UGH I forgot Al!!! -_-

Yeah I thought about the Keith inclusion... seems unfair when Luther and Freddie had that down pat.
    Howard Hewitt was one of the best male singers out in the 80s.

Howard Hewitt was one of the best male singers out in the 80s.
    I'd put Luther over all from the time "Never Too Much" came out until his death. The only male singer I'd put on par with him would be Al Jarreau, who was more of a jazz artist. I used to love Howard Hewitt and James Ingram back then.

I'd put Luther over all from the time "Never Too Much" came out until his death. The only male singer I'd put on par with him would be Al Jarreau, who was more of a jazz artist. I used to love Howard Hewitt and James Ingram back then.
    You know the best singers came out of Ohio [[and Michigan). I would easily nominate Ron Isley and Levi Stubbs and representative from Ohio and Michigan in the National Best Male R&B Singer in History Contest LOL!!!!

James Ingram is from Ohio. I think he is from Akron, so is Howard.

You know the best singers came out of Ohio [[and Michigan). I would easily nominate Ron Isley and Levi Stubbs and representative from Ohio and Michigan in the National Best Male R&B Singer in History Contest LOL!!!!
    Yeah, some really good singers. Don't leave the O'Jays out of that discussion.

I would have to got back a bit further than that to right around 1975-76 with "This Is For Real".

Yeah, but if I include them, I'll have to inclued the Ohio Players [[Ohio) and the Temptations [[Michigan)...... hehehehehehehehhe1

They were the top soul group of the '70s though lol

I would have to got back a bit further than that to right around 1975-76 with "This Is For Real".
    My uncle came back from Alabama with an album by his group Luther in 1976 of so. We listened to "The Second Time Around" and "A Brand New Day" in their original compositions. When he won the Grammy for Best New Artist two years later, I didn't understand it. I guess regional artists don't qualify for recognition.

I know. But Walter White and Eddie Levert hold up with any singers from any age, in my opinion.

The Spinners would argue that point with you, but they, the O'Jays were one of the top groups then.

My uncle came back from Alabama with an album by his group Luther in 1976 of so. We listened to "The Second Time Around" and "A Brand New Day" in their original compositions. When he won the Grammy for Best New Artist two years later, I didn't understand it. I guess regional artists don't qualify for recognition.
    Yep! My brother bought his first two albums in 1976 when his group was called "Luther". I too was surprise at how everyone was making out like he was a brand new artist in 1981. He sang the lead on Change's record.

I know. But Walter White and Eddie Levert hold up with any singers from any age, in my opinion.
    Walter Williams and Eddie Levert are ICONS! They came from the Old School and kept it going almost as long as the Four Tops! They still put on a high quality show today after all of these years. I last saw them in 2015.

That's true but we're talking about SOLO SINGERS lol

Walter Williams and Eddie Levert are ICONS! They came from the Old School and kept it going almost as long as the Four Tops! They still put on a high quality show today after all of these years. I last saw them in 2015.
    LOL. Walter White was the protagonist on "Breaking Bad". I must be programmed to type "White" after "Walter"...

The O'Jays at this point are a national R&B treasure. Everyone who's a true R&B fan know about the O'Jays, least the two who have been both the hearts and voices of the group [[Eddie and Walter).

And we're veering totally off topic lmao

True, true... And if I suggested that they were the Kings of Soul Group Lead Singers, I'd get my ass kicked around here. Navigating between Eddie, David, Levi, Smokey and Michael on a Soulful Detroit forum would be impossible. And those are just the first-name-only singers from Motown. Toss in Bobby Smith, Gerald Alston and the aforementioned O'Jays and picking the best leads in soul groups would start a fight around here that might never end.

True, true... And if I suggested that they were the Kings of Soul Group Lead Singers, I'd get my ass kicked around here. Navigating between Eddie, David, Levi, Smokey and Michael on a Soulful Detroit forum would be impossible. And those are just the first-name-only singers from Motown. Toss in Bobby Smith, Gerald Alston and the aforementioned O'Jays and picking the best leads in soul groups would start a fight around here that might never end.
    True! It would be a mess lol

I never understood why the distinction. A great singer is a great singer period! Most of your "solo singers" sing with background singers and bands, so they are not truly "solo" as they are not usually the only voice we hear on their recordings or in their concerts.

LOL. Walter White was the protagonist on "Breaking Bad". I must be programmed to type "White" after "Walter"...
    I knew who you meant, but it is blasphemous to be from Ohio and not know the correct names of the O'Jays! How could you Jerry? Go to your room now young man! LOL!!!!!

Well, I notice you didn't mention Ron Banks, LJ Reynolds, Marvin Junior, Johnny of the Dells, Russell Thompkins Jr., Peabo Bryson, Jeffrey Osborne, Glen Jones, Barry White, just to name a few. My point is there are and have been an incredible number of excellent male singers whether they were a part of a group or "solo" to really pick a legitimate "King of R&B". What was it they named Rick James?

I don't remember Rick James' tag. But only George Clinton and James Brown surpassed him as funk artists. Roger came close. With that said, the other three artists were more influential because other than samples, you can hear their riffs and rhythms in songs still being made but only Rick James had the ability to make his songs the way that he did.

Howard and James are certainly great singers. I saw Howard in concert here in the UK a couple of months back and he was as magnificent as ever. Al Jarreau was an amazing live performer. I saw him twice and was captivated by how he used that unique voice. A true one off.

I don't remember Rick James' tag. But only George Clinton and James Brown surpassed him as funk artists. Roger came close. With that said, the other three artists were more influential because other than samples, you can hear their riffs and rhythms in songs still being made but only Rick James had the ability to make his songs the way that he did.
    Rick James was called "The King of Punk Funk".

Rick James was called "The King of Punk Funk".
    The reason why I didn't suggest that is because he was the one who have himself that name. He came up with the "punk funk" name for his genre, which he used to refer to his and Prince's music, specifically. "Street Songs" and "Dirty Mind" would be the best examples of it, in my opinion, followed by most of the two-album "1999". By the way, if I was to recognize the genre, Prince would be the king.

There was actually a genre for punk funk but they didn't include either Rick or Prince though genre/style wise, Prince would've fit the punk aesthetic than Rick, who was more glam rock by comparison [[glitter, jumpsuits, long hair, etc.). Prince had that entire "rude boy" persona used mainly by punk acts. Rick technically never had any punk influences but he surely had the rock influence down pat. He came of age in the psychedelic rock era of the late '60s. So his style would be more Robert Plant than, say, Joey Ramone or Johnny Rotten [[John Lydon).

Rick did make up that title though but something like Super Freak was more new wave and rock influenced than punk. Other than that, he would've been seen as another disco/funk performer. I imagine he named himself "king of punk funk" because he wanted to have some identity and he got one.

There was actually a genre for punk funk but they didn't include either Rick or Prince though genre/style wise, Prince would've fit the punk aesthetic than Rick, who was more glam rock by comparison [[glitter, jumpsuits, long hair, etc.). Prince had that entire "rude boy" persona used mainly by punk acts. Rick technically never had any punk influences but he surely had the rock influence down pat. He came of age in the psychedelic rock era of the late '60s. So his style would be more Robert Plant than, say, Joey Ramone or Johnny Rotten [[John Lydon).

Rick did make up that title though but something like Super Freak was more new wave and rock influenced than punk. Other than that, he would've been seen as another disco/funk performer. I imagine he named himself "king of punk funk" because he wanted to have some identity and he got one.
    I co-sign to this entire post, MM. Nicely stated.

Thanks Jerry.