[REMOVE ADS]

How Did I Miss T-H-i-S Great Collection?

First please understand that I am an old fogie who goes back to almost the infancy of Motown. Therefore I have hundreds of albums, a whole ton of cassettes, and probably 2,500 or more CDs. Every time they changed the format I made myself adapt.

However, so far I have not done so with downloading and therefore I would not know an MP3 from an IUD, although I "think" those are two different things!!!!

As a result, I am hanging on by a thread to the CD era and will keep collecting them as long as they keep making interesting ones. Therefore I was amazed to find out a couple of nights ago that I somehow missed what looks like an incredible Diana Ross collection.

It is British and I think its official title is "Diana The Greatest." It was a 2011 release and it is a two CD set that combines some of her better known Supremes tracks with some [[or most it appears) of her solo hits. In other words the best of both worlds.

It has a whitish or silvery colored cover and maybe some nice person who can link things [[I haven't learned to do that either!) will be kind enough to post it on here and list the tracks. Chances are you folks have talked about it over and over again and I just never read the discussion or realized what a great collection it would be.

I plan to order it in the very near future. Can I assume I will be pleased with the sound quality, liner notes, etc.?

I have this cd and comes with a little booklet. I love it and it is a must because it contains some of Diana Ross' duets that have never appeared on a Ross cd. Like "Big Bad Love" with Ray Charles and her Rod Steward duet.

I'm assuming that you mean this one:

Name:  61lDI6kN3GL.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  65.6 KB

https://www.amazon.com/Diana-Ross-DI...70_&dpSrc=srch

To play safe, you may want to ask George Solomon or Andy Skurow to chime in about the mastering. A reviewer or two mention the lack of a booklet or additional photos.

Daviddesper,
    As a big-time collector, you will certainly want this in your collection. As stated above, it has some interesting tracks that are not common. The sound quality equals the majority of other issues that I own. It is a lot of good music and attractive cover art for a minimal price. Good luck!

Name:  659602F1-A98D-495C-B0AB-70E726E6C694.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  17.0 KB.

Not sure where everyone is located, but I picked this up at Half Price Books a while back; they had lots of copies, all new and sealed, and I think it was maybe $5.99? A great buy.

Is the 33rd song on this CD a mistake, or did the Tempts. Tops, and Supremes all sing this together live or on recording and I missed it?

33. I'm Gonna Make You Love Me [[Diana Ross & the Supremes, Temptations, the Four Tops)

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Is the 33rd song on this CD a mistake, or did the Tempts. Tops, and Supremes all sing this together live or on recording and I missed it?

33. I'm Gonna Make You Love Me [[Diana Ross & the Supremes, Temptations, the Four Tops)
    Oh, it’s a mistake [[typo, I guess). Importcds.com has great selection.
    Last edited by longtimefan; 07-21-2018 at 01:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    First please understand that I am an old fogie who goes back to almost the infancy of Motown. Therefore I have hundreds of albums, a whole ton of cassettes, and probably 2,500 or more CDs. Every time they changed the format I made myself adapt.

However, so far I have not done so with downloading and therefore I would not know an MP3 from an IUD, although I "think" those are two different things!!!!

As a result, I am hanging on by a thread to the CD era and will keep collecting them as long as they keep making interesting ones. Therefore I was amazed to find out a couple of nights ago that I somehow missed what looks like an incredible Diana Ross collection.

It is British and I think its official title is "Diana The Greatest." It was a 2011 release and it is a two CD set that combines some of her better known Supremes tracks with some [[or most it appears) of her solo hits. In other words the best of both worlds.

It has a whitish or silvery colored cover and maybe some nice person who can link things [[I haven't learned to do that either!) will be kind enough to post it on here and list the tracks. Chances are you folks have talked about it over and over again and I just never read the discussion or realized what a great collection it would be.

I plan to order it in the very near future. Can I assume I will be pleased with the sound quality, liner notes, etc.?
    It is one of the more interesting compilations out there. Diana herself had some input into the track listing as i recall.

There was actually quite a extensive campaign to promote the album.

For everyone other than Diana's fans this was probably a collection too far.

With the TV campaign behind it I thought this would be big in the UK as Diana's compilations normally flew off the shelves and this was fantastic value and an excellent track listing.

I was pretty shocked when it sold relatively poorly in the first week and the TV advertisement was pulled immediately and the album quickly left the chart.

It did continue to sell steadily in small amounts though and was eventually awarded a Silver Disc for sales in excess of 60k but it was rare for one of Diana's compilations not to go Gold.

I had no reason for believing this but for some reason I had a suspicion that this album was to test the waters and if it had done well a UK tour might have been forthcoming!!

alanbill1074 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post

With the TV campaign behind it I thought this would be big in the UK as Diana's compilations normally flew off the shelves and this was fantastic value and an excellent track listing.

I was pretty shocked when it sold relatively poorly in the first week and the TV advertisement was pulled immediately and the album quickly left the chart.

It did continue to sell steadily in small amounts though and was eventually awarded a Silver Disc for sales in excess of 60k but it was rare for one of Diana's compilations not to go Gold.

I had no reason for believing this but for some reason I had a suspicion that this album was to test the waters and if it had done well a UK tour might have been forthcoming!!
    There have been too many UK compilations now for Diana. You can pick up One Woman for 50p in a lot of charity shops. The art work on this was like someones high school IT project - very poor. It did nothing for it on the shelves. Track list was good but nothing previously unavailable, even though a couple are more obscure [[like Ray Charles). The songs will likely have just been sourced from previous digital transfers. I was disappointed with it.

No doubt if she'd toured over here it would have done better but it probably did as well as it deserved to without any buzz or new material on it.

In continental Europe it was issued in a jewel case. The UK got a digipack. I got both and the jewel case is definitely better. The digipack looked really cheap.

Love And Life remains the best of her UK collections, although it should have had the Metro Mix of Until We Meet Again on.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post

It was hoped that Diana would come over to the UK to promote the album with a few tv and radio appearances, but for one reason or another this did not happen and all the advertising for the album ceased.

The 2009 "Complete Collection" double CD did relatively well in the Netherlands, at least on the album charts, which was probably because it coincided with her Symphonica In Rosso concerts [[the cover art was part of the Symphonica in Rosso design). Of course we hoped there would be a live album and DVD release [[as had happened with Lionel Richie the year before; only released in the Netherlands and made it to the top of the album charts).

Quote Originally Posted by alanbill1074 View Post
    Love And Life remains the best of her UK collections, although it should have had the Metro Mix of Until We Meet Again on.
    This is a great compilation, however the sound quality of "Work This Body" on this set is appalling. It sounds like a low quality mp3.

alanbill1074 Guest
    Probably because it was a UK compilation and the UK single mix of Work That Body was the LP version. Maybe the US 7" was ripped from YouTube or something and not held in the UK vaults.

alanbill1074 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    The 2009 "Complete Collection" double CD did relatively well in the Netherlands, at least on the album charts, which was probably because it coincided with her Symphonica In Rosso concerts [[the cover art was part of the Symphonica in Rosso design). Of course we hoped there would be a live album and DVD release [[as had happened with Lionel Richie the year before; only released in the Netherlands and made it to the top of the album charts).

This was a good compilation. I love that it was in a super jewel case. Her Dutch comps usually had more interesting tracklists.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    Daviddesper,
    As a big-time collector, you will certainly want this in your collection. As stated above, it has some interesting tracks that are not common. The sound quality equals the majority of other issues that I own. It is a lot of good music and attractive cover art for a minimal price. Good luck!

Name:  659602F1-A98D-495C-B0AB-70E726E6C694.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  17.0 KB.
    Just browsing in a charity shop this morning and found a mint copy 99p for a double CD that has top be the bargain of the year, in a jewel case with a heavy card slip cover but no essay no notes and just track list on the back.

I was thinking Universal must now have control of all her back catalogue [[having bought EMI) apart from RCA - BMG wonder why they haven't done more crossover packages.

alanbill1074 Guest
    Her 80s material ended up at Warner in the UK.