[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: "Do I Love You"

"Do I Love You"

This blog contains fresh information about the Frank Wilson recording, plus comments from various Forum members. Obviously, "Do I..." is still a topic of interest...

http://www.adampwhite.com/westgrandb...ssessment-anew

Thanks for that - great article.

Wow! That's a terrific read

It's always amusing to see people with no NS history or connection react to this record, or should I say, react to others reacting to it. As if they immediately know it's special....

Probably reading more into it than I should but it kind of leads me to think that the reason maybe why Frank Wilson recorded a vocal on "Do I Love You" was because they weren't permitted to just record backing tracks according to union rules - there had to be an artist.

Also, encouraged by the reception the recording got, Motown then prepared it for release by Frank but that was scotched by Berry [[in my own mind I think he wanted the song for Chris Clark). In that case, Frank may also have needed to record a vocal on "All Your Love" too and maybe there was also a version by Chris Clark at some point.

But then again, Frank Wilson recorded a version of "Together 'Til The End Of Time" which was quite different to Brenda Holloway's version so he could have simply been recording demos.

There are at least 2 vocal versions of "Do I Love You" by Frank Wilson - I suppose they were both recorded at the same session.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    It's always amusing to see people with no NS history or connection react to this record, or should I say, react to others reacting to it. As if they immediately know it's special....
    I do understand, Snake - Southerners talking about DILY ... it's almost as bad as if we'd walked across the sacred 22 yards at Headingly!

Best,
    Keith

owzat keith ?

But not thinking about soul fans [[Northern or Southern)here....but people with no affiliation to our 'thing' , who might chance upon a soul night......they all respond to it, in a way other NS 'Anthems' don't...
    I suppose that chicken advertisement is the reason.

just remembered that we won a pop quiz recently on board Aurora.....beat the resident smart arses .....by knowing DILY....a left field item thrown in by the DJ compiler.
    Good ole Frank...

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    I do understand, Snake - Southerners talking about DILY ... it's almost as bad as if we'd walked across the sacred 22 yards at Headingly!

Best,
    Keith
    Woah - I'm a Northerner but Southerners have soul too. A certain Dave Godin was one such [[mind you he did migrate North I believe).

DILY is regularly covered by local bands including Dodgy from the Midlands - and if it's good enough for them it's good enough for me.

I'd say the reaction of people to the song is an indication of its sheer brilliance...

' Do I Love You' has cropped up on so many t.v programmes and ads in Britain over the last few years that it has just about become the musical shorthand for 'Northern Soul'. Such is it's brilliance. Not bad for a single that was never released.

Unfortunately , it's now being played at weddings, birthday parties etc , as a sop to non soul fans as an example of "NS".....usually alongside "The Snake".
    Similar to DJs who play "The Locomotion", "Let's twist again" and "Let's dance"

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Probably reading more into it than I should but it kind of leads me to think that the reason maybe why Frank Wilson recorded a vocal on "Do I Love You" was because they weren't permitted to just record backing tracks according to union rules - there had to be an artist.

Also, encouraged by the reception the recording got, Motown then prepared it for release by Frank but that was scotched by Berry [[in my own mind I think he wanted the song for Chris Clark). In that case, Frank may also have needed to record a vocal on "All Your Love" too and maybe there was also a version by Chris Clark at some point.

But then again, Frank Wilson recorded a version of "Together 'Til The End Of Time" which was quite different to Brenda Holloway's version so he could have simply been recording demos.

There are at least 2 vocal versions of "Do I Love You" by Frank Wilson - I suppose they were both recorded at the same session.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  21.1 KB
    I had always thought that Frank recorded it as the songwriter, for a demo for the eventual featured artist on the released version to follow as a guide, and to be used for the Jobete music proof of song ownership acetate. I had my doubts that the original plan was to release the 45 by Frank for full company marketing backing. I was pleasantly surprised to read that Arthur Wright had arranged the music, and probably did the hands-on running of the recording session [[or, at least, co-ran it with Hal Davis).

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  21.1 KB
    I had always thought that Frank recorded it as the songwriter, for a demo for the eventual featured artist on the released version to follow as a guide, and to be used for the Jobete music proof of song ownership acetate. I had my doubts that the original plan was to release the 45 by Frank for full company marketing backing. I was pleasantly surprised to read that Arthur Wright had arranged the music, and probably did the hands-on running of the recording session [[or, at least, co-ran it with Hal Davis).
    Lots of the Frank Wilson demo takes are just that - if you listen to them there is now way in the world they could ever be released - in most cases if you didn't know it was FW you would never guess. Do I love You and the subsequent other releases by Frank have all been true Frank Wilson [[recording artist) tracks.
    In all honesty the record companies have ruined this track for me I used to absolutely adore it but it has been on soooo many compilations, adverts etc. etc that I find myself skipping it or taking it out of playlists.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    Lots of the Frank Wilson demo takes are just that - if you listen to them there is no way in the world they could ever be released - in most cases if you didn't know it was FW you would never guess. Do I love You and the subsequent other releases by Frank have all been true Frank Wilson [[recording artist) tracks.
    So in that case I would think it more likely that he would have recorded a vocal on "All Your Love" as it was his recording session. I can truly imagine Frank singing it. Since no vocal of his has surfaced on that it may have been wiped or recorded over.

"DILY" now being used as a backdrop to promote new BBC1 drama "Age before beauty".
    It's not the original [[ or the alternate) from 1965...sounds like an Ian Levine remake.

Ah yes, the Motorcity Project. I did wonder about that TV ad.