[REMOVE ADS]

The Four Tops - Baby I Need Your Loving 2018!

It still sounds good some 54 years later.......

Love it. Thanks! Is Duke 80? Wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    You're most welcome Luke!
    I love it too. I think Duke is now 81! All respect and power to him!

Duke will be 83 December 26. Hard to imagine that.

I love the tops,but without levi...no!!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    I love the tops,but without levi...no!!
    I hate to agree with you, but i have to. Levi was a one off who can never be replaced and without him it is just not the same. I have not seen the Tops live since Levi was unable to carry on. I have little doubt they still put on a fine show, but i am sticking to my cd's and listening to the real thing. Having said that, this is as good as it could be without Levi, and i wish the guys all the best for the future. Duke is a legend. Long may he continue.

I miss Levi [[Obie and Lawrence too). They together with Duke put on some great and enjoyable shows. It was like they were entertaining friends in their living room, that's how good they were as a unit onstage. This current line-up is fun, although they could never match or surpass the original group, I think Roquel, Ronnie and Spike do a great job of keeping the spirit of the group and it's music alive with the incomparable Mr. Abdul "Duke" Fakir!
    Last edited by marv2; 07-17-2018 at 05:33 PM. Reason: left out the words "room" and "how"

So would it just make you happy that the group ceases to perform/exist because "it's just not the same"? Do you suppose they are thinking to themselves that they are going to bring back the same excitement and thrill as the original group? Yes, there are many "tribute" groups out there who are embarrassments to the integrity and name of the original groups, however, this line-up does not fit in that category. They still honor, through their presentation and talent, the legacy of the Four Tops. As Marv2 says, they "do a great job of keeping the spirt of the group and its music alive...."

Duke was born in late 1935 lol so he ain't 81, he's 82 going on 83.

Anyway, nice version. No Levi but it's good.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Duke was born in late 1935 lol so he ain't 81, he's 82 going on 83.

Anyway, nice version. No Levi but it's good.
    I remember back in the 80s when Duke and his cousin, who is a physician open up "The Landsdowne" and upscale nightclub on the Detroit riverfront. It was super nice!

Are we ever gonna get something new from them. New concert dvds, unreleased albums. We need something. We get nothing. It's really aggravating now.

Quote Originally Posted by Fourtopsbiggestfan View Post
    Are we ever gonna get something new from them. New concert dvds, unreleased albums. We need something. We get nothing. It's really aggravating now.
    Fourtopsbiggestfan, we get NOTHING! It's like they never existed to the record companies!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Fourtopsbiggestfan, we get NOTHING! It's like they never existed to the record companies!
    MARV you're absolutely right. I'm starving for something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Fourtopsbiggestfan View Post
    MARV you're absolutely right. I'm starving for something new.
    Was the album "Hot Nights" ever released? I don't think so. They could start there.

Was the album "Hot Nights" ever released? I don't think so. They could start there.
    I remember being really disappointed when that album was shelved. I can't remember if I've ever seen a track listing.
    Last edited by 144man; 07-21-2018 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I remember being really disappointed when that album was shelved. I can't remember if I've ever seen a track listing.
    I only heard the title track which did receive radio airplay towards the end of the summer in 1986 in Philadelphia.

She's been mentioned on this forum before but if this is not considered appropriate please delete.

The super-talented British lady Sarah Collins.

This is sung live - through a USB mike into a Mac. Honest!

Love it! She's really channeling her inner Levi. Like her voice a lot.

Very nice. Really sells it. Channeling chris Clark a bit too.

She sounds good. I agree with the Chris Clark channeling thing........

I only heard the title track which did receive radio airplay towards the end of the summer in 1986 in Philadelphia.
    Thee were 10 songs listed for the Hot Nights LP. They were:

1. Hot Nights
    2. Red Hot Love
    3. Indestructible
    4. I Believe in You and Me [[Alt version)
    5. Let's Jam
    6. We Got Business
    7. This is Love
    8. I'm So Up
    9. Livin' It Up
    10. The Four of Us

The Indestructible LP on Arista used a couple of these tracks. The rest have not been released to this day, which is a shame, because there are some good tracks here. I posted their great version of "I Believe..." on you tube a few years ago. Listen to Levi go to church at the end.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MjVR5ArQKg

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    So would it just make you happy that the group ceases to perform/exist because "it's just not the same"? Do you suppose they are thinking to themselves that they are going to bring back the same excitement and thrill as the original group? Yes, there are many "tribute" groups out there who are embarrassments to the integrity and name of the original groups, however, this line-up does not fit in that category. They still honor, through their presentation and talent, the legacy of the Four Tops. As Marv2 says, they "do a great job of keeping the spirt of the group and its music alive...."
    Check out the Delfonics Revue for the same reason. [[I think it's "William Hart's Delfonics")

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    You already know the answer to that question Marv!

With most 60s and many 70s soul outfits, all we are left with are effectively tribute bands.

I saw Odyssey live last year and the only link to the original band was that the lead figure [[ but not the lead singer) was the son of one of the Lopez sisters. They did a great gig, however, and the audience loved it.

I enjoyed it in many ways but I also wept a little as I mourned the passing of a generation and an era.

Odyssey opened for Heatwave who, equally, contained no members of the hit band but who did, however, include one guy who had been with the band at the start. They weren't so tight, however, but it's not unknown for the opening act to be better than the headliners.

So, in 2019, I'm just grateful when people keep the music alive.

I am grateful too that we at least still have Duke Fakir of the original Four Tops and several others from back in the day still singing for us. It's been more than 50 years after all.

Absolutely! Duke mentioned in that group interview with Mary and Claudette that they had talked to Universal about a new recording.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    You already know the answer to that question Marv!
    Let them both play with each other dear Bluebrock. At least we know they are one and the same. LOL

Always surprised to find that so many fans find classic group members so replaceable. For me, no Levi = Faux Tops.