[REMOVE ADS]

Strung Out On Motown

In 1982, an album was released on the Motown label in the US by Regal Funkharmonic Otchestra entitled "Strung Out On Motown" [[6014ML). The album consisted of medleys by The Supremes, The Temptations, The Four Tops, Commodores and Rick James.
    There was a series of albums and singles released in Europe in the early 80s by Stars on 45 which was a Dutch novelty pop act who sung interpretations of popular tunes segued together and I was wondering if "Strung Out" was a similar type of album or were the tracks sung by the original artists.
    Last edited by masterblaster; 07-13-2018 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Clarification

I had never ever ever heard or read about this before. How had this escaped my Motown obsessed self? Thank you masterblaster for bringing it to my attention.

I have tried to find the tracks online but have had no luck. Do you have the album?

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    In 1982, an album was released on the Motown label in the US by Regal Funkharmonic Otchestra entitled "Strung Out On Motown" [[6014ML). The album consisted of medleys by The Supremes, The Temptations, The Four Tops, Commodores and Rick James.
    There was a series of albums and singles released in Europe in the early 80s by Stars on 45 which was a Dutch novelty pop act who sung interpretations of popular tunes segued together and I was wondering if "Strung Out" was a similar type of album or were the tracks sung by the original artists.
    I remember "Stars of 45" they had a very popular record here that was a medley of Beatles hits back around 1981.

I highly doubt "Strung Out" tracks were sung by the original artists if he was recorded and released in 1982.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    In 1982, an album was released on the Motown label in the US by Regal Funkharmonic Orchestra entitled "Strung Out On Motown" [[6014ML). The album consisted of medleys by The Supremes, The Temptations, The Four Tops, Commodores and Rick James.
    They are not by the original artists.

Gil Askey William Bryant Eddie Summers and Dave Blumberg were involved.

Aquired it back then, still own it, but haven't played it since.
    It did not catch on in the clubs for which it was intended.
    I seem to remember it being entirely instrumental.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 07-14-2018 at 02:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I had never ever ever heard or read about this before. How had this escaped my Motown obsessed self? Thank you masterblaster for bringing it to my attention.

I have tried to find the tracks online but have had no luck. Do you have the album?
    No I haven't got the album but there a few vinyl copies available on Ebay.
    Track listing from The Motown Story & Album Discography as follows:

6014ML - Strung Out on Motown - Regal Funkharmonic Orchestra [7/82] Strung Out On Motown Medley: Fingertips, Dancing In The Street, Uptight [[Everthing's Alright), I Can't Help Myself [[Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch), Going To A-Go-Go, I Second That Emotion, The Tears Of A Clown, Shotgun, ABC, I Want You Back, What's Going On, You Are The Sunshine Of My Life, For Once n My Life, Sir Duke, Ain't No Mountain High Enough/Strung Out On The Supremes Medley: Reflections, You Keep Me Hangin' On, Where Did Our Love Go, Baby Love, Stop! In The Name Of Love, Stoned Love, i Hear a Symphony/Strung Out On The Temptations Medley: Girl [[Why You Wanna Make Me Blue), The Way You Do The Things You Do, Beauty Is Only Skin Deep, Get Ready, Psychodelic Shack, Cloud Nine, Runaway Child, Running Wild, Ball Of Confusion [[That's What The World Is Today), [[I Know) I'm Losing You//Strung Out On Four Tops Medley: It's The Same Old Song, I Can't Help Myself [[Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch), Standing In The Shadows Of Love, Reach Out I'll Be There, Baby I Need Your Loving, Bernadette/Strung Out On Commodores Medley: Sail On, Easy, Three Times A Lady, Just To Be Close To You, Still/Strung Out On Rick James Medley: Mary Jane, You And I, Give It To Me Baby, Super Freak, Standing On The Top

i enjoyed what I've heard of the Motown project with the London Philharmonic Orchestra.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Aquired it back then, still own it, but haven't played it since.
    It did not catch on in the clubs for which it was intended.
    I seem to remember it being entirely instrumental.
    Yes, it was instrumental...sort of an updated San Remo Strings.

I have the Stars on 45 long play Supremes medley; I think it was a series of LP's and I think this one was #3. I don't remember if it was actually called Stars on 45 though? I'll have to dig it out and see.

Thanks144man.

There is also a Stevie Wonder STARS ON 45 medley.

Listened to the title track of this today.... really enjoyed it... it's like a game of guess the song each time a new one starts...