[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ground-breaking Broadway Musical 'Don't Bother Me, I Can't Cope' Returns for 5 Perfs

Good on Savion! My mother wore the grooves out on the original cast album when I was small.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Good on Savion! My mother wore the grooves out on the original cast album when I was small.

Apparently you had a cool-mom with great taste! I really want to see the revival -

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Apparently you had a cool-mom with great taste! I really want to see the revival -
    She was dynamite! You should've heard her singing along [[not a great singer, but with gusto, humor and heart). Brings back wonderful memories.

I, too, want to see this. I wonder if this will be staged with 1970s production values or updated for our post-hip-hop era.
    Last edited by sansradio; 07-12-2018 at 02:02 PM.

There is an organization in NYC called Encores! whose mission is to present musicals that have faded from the public's eye. It started as concert presentation which abridged the book of the musical and presented the music in it's entirety. The cast used their scripts because they have minimum rehearsal time for the 6 performances that they present. It has morphed in almost full production values, and most of the performers are not using scripts now. A couple of years ago, they started Encores! Off Center, which does 3 Off-Broadway musicals during the summer. These do not seem to have the production values of the regular series, but the off Broadway productions were not usually as production heavy as their Broadway counterparts. What they do try to provide is the score as it was originally presented. Sometimes they augment the orchestrations so the sound is bigger, and in the case of the recent Songs For A New World, the composer wrote all new orchestrations for a full band instead of the original combo. These productions are usually pretty good, well cast, complete and worth seeing, especially if you've only heard about a show but never had the opportunity to see it. There is a lot of excitement building for Don't Bother Me I Can't Cope. I'm looking forward to finally seeing this in person rather than through a stereo speaker!