[REMOVE ADS]

Scherrie Payne- Invictus solo

I never knew she did solo stuff on Invictus--details? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzAwM...eature=related

Scherrie also recorded [[but didn't release) Want Ads. Id kill to hear that

So would I.

Yea I had heard that; I think this label says 1972 so I guess this was pre-Glass House.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Yea I had heard that; I think this label says 1972 so I guess this was pre-Glass House.
    Glasshouse had its first Invictus release in 1969 or 1970. It was always the the company's intent to record Scherrie Payne with and without Glasshouse. Word says Scherrie was signed to Invictus at the same time or shortly after sister Freda signed.

Fans used to claim Freda was on the phone with one of the Hollands or Lamont Dozier conducting business when sister Scherrie decided to sing and play a few original songs in the background... prompting a: :Who is That?" querie from the label owners.
    Don't know how true it is, but it sounds good.
    Last edited by Motown_M_1056; 04-12-2011 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown_M_1056 View Post
    Glasshouse had its first Invictus release in 1969 or 1970. It was always the the company's intent to record Scherrie Payne with and without Glasshouse. Word says Scherrie was signed to Invictus at the same time or shortly after sister Freda signed.

Fans used to claim Freda was on the phone with one of the Hollands or Lamont Dozier conducting business when sister Scherrie decided to sing and play a few original songs in the background... prompting a: :Who is That?" querie from the label owners.
    Don't know how true it is, but it sounds good.
    It's true. Scherrie confirmed this herself.

I thought her version of Want Ads was issued on an Invictus/Hot Wax comp CD several years ago.

According to this discography http://www.soulfulkindamusic.net/invictus.htm, the only official single release for Scherrie was VIP b/w It Ain't The World [[It's The People In It) on single 9114 in 1972. VIP credited to her as a solo was included on 'The Best Of Invictus Records Vol1; Invictus Unconquered' by Deepbeats Records in the UK through Castle in 1997. Whether these two tracks are the same as those included on the recent The Glass House compilation by Demon [[again UK), I don't know.

Yes, I always knew she had a solo single on Invictus, "V.I.P.", which was also the B side of Honey Cones' "Want Ads".

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    It's true. Scherrie confirmed this herself.
    The evidence is in the Invictus Story-Band of Gold

It's on youtube at present.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    The evidence is in the Invictus Story-Band of Gold

It's on youtube at present.
    So it's possible both Payne Sisters were signed to Invictus around the same time, but Freda was launched as a solo act and the company built Glass House around Scherrie's talents.
    I could see how this could have been possible. It would have been slightly confusing to have two singers named Payne competing with each other on the charts. I saw Glass House for the first time on some Detroit dance program in early 1970. I forget if it was Swingin' Time or another show. They were promoting I Can't Be You...which was a local hit.
    Last edited by Motown_M_1056; 04-12-2011 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Scherrie also recorded [[but didn't release) Want Ads. Id kill to hear that
    I wonder if Scherrie has a copy or track of it....

Is the single version of "V.I.P" always sourced from vinyl when it's appeared digitally?