[REMOVE ADS]

Who Deserves A Great Box Retrospective That Has Not Had One?

I say Mr. Walter Jackson.

Gladys Knight and the Pips

Dionne Warwick

Gladys Knight and the Pips are way overdue of the honor. I wonder if haphazard licensing deals from various labels have prolonged the curation of a career-spanning. multi-disc retrospective from ever coming to fruition.
    Roberta Flack
    Chaka Khan
    Rufus & Chaka Khan [[Rhino had an two-disc anthology on them that was in the works, but it never materialized. I forgot the story about what derailed it.)

Zapp & Roger. Roger Troutman was a stone genius who made the talkbox a lead instrument. His influence is still prevalent today.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    Zapp & Roger. Roger Troutman was a stone genius who made the talkbox a lead instrument. His influence is still prevalent today.
    This wasn't necessarily a box set retrospective per se, but it came very close to being a pretty exhaustive anthology that covered the full scope of Roger Troutman and Zapp's artistry.

Can't think of any besides the ones mentioned. :/

Whitney is the only one I can think of for biased reasons because she goes as far back as 1978 with her recordings [["Life is a Party" with Michael Zager was her first real lead) so that would be great to get EVERYTHING from Whitney in that 34-year period [[1978-2012).

I would agree that Dionne Warwick could use a comprehensive box, especially if it contained previously unreleased material. But with her, my goodness, where would you start????

The rest of my answer would be primarily Motown-related, so on that front, I can think of the following that deserve the Anthology treatment: Edwin Starr, Tata Vega, High Inergy, and I don't think there has been a comprehensive Isley Brothers Motown collection has there? If I missed it, forgive me.

Oh and someday I would love to see Hodges, James and Smith's four albums appear on CD, along with whatever else might be out there that was never released.

I don't know about Tata and High Inergy but I wonder about Edwin Starr. I don't think the Isleys recorded much at Motown for one. Most of their stuff were from self-released material so that was the majority that made it to their box sets and there were also leftovers from their pre-Motown days.

Cameo. They may be a little late for some of you, but Larry Blackmon's band stayed hot for almost two decades, even after the studio forced him to cut down the ensemble from 11 artists to three.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    I would agree that Dionne Warwick could use a comprehensive box, especially if it contained previously unreleased material. But with her, my goodness, where would you start????

The rest of my answer would be primarily Motown-related, so on that front, I can think of the following that deserve the Anthology treatment: Edwin Starr, Tata Vega, High Inergy, and I don't think there has been a comprehensive Isley Brothers Motown collection has there? If I missed it, forgive me.

Oh and someday I would love to see Hodges, James and Smith's four albums appear on CD, along with whatever else might be out there that was never released.
    There was a comprehensive collection for The Isley Bros. on Motown. It's The Motown Anthology [[Motown UK/UMG-2009). With 52 tracks on 2CDs, it's got everything from their two albums on Tamla & tracks from the vaults.

I'd love for The O' Jays to get the 'box set' treatment.

Bobby Womack. He'd deserve more than one box !

Quote Originally Posted by brandosoul View Post
    This wasn't necessarily a box set retrospective per se, but it came very close to being a pretty exhaustive anthology that covered the full scope of Roger Troutman and Zapp's artistry.

Thank You Bran, I have this anthology already and I like it. However, I feel Roger deserves a collector's box that combines all 9 Zapp & Roger albums with the works. We've only got one outtake since his untimely death, "Superman". There must be a plethora of unreleased tunes between the Troutman family and Warner Bros. Roger was a lot like his great friend Prince in that they were supremely creative and had their own studios to utilize freely. I've been trying to convince somebody to do it,even Rhino who's less than enthusiastic about a project like that. There also seems to be some issues with his estate that his children are working to straighten out. Hopefully it'll happen though,not unlike what Sony/Legacy did in honor of Sly & The Family Stone in 2007.

Hodges, James and Smith

Last edited by lakeside; 08-05-2018 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Hodges, James and Smith
    PREACH ON PREACH ON!!!! Maybe if enough of us request it, someone will heed the call one of these days!!

Dionne Warwick for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by brandosoul View Post
    Rufus & Chaka Khan [[Rhino had an two-disc anthology on them that was in the works, but it never materialized. I forgot the story about what derailed it.)
    I'd love to know why there hasn't been a comprehensive collection for Rufus & Chaka Khan. They did all their albums & hit singles for ABC/MCA Records [[except for the Stompin' At The Savoy-Live LP and the single "Ain't Nobody" for WB) so UMe should be able to put together a 2CD set on the spot.

The singin chipmonks?

There are some great suggestions here, and i have to agree that Gladys, Dionne, Rufus and Chaka,Bobby Womack and the O'Jays are particular deserving cases. It is quite astounding that these magnificent artists have not been given the box sets that they deserve.Might i also add Al Green and the Dells to this list please?

I submit a career-spanning box for Esther Phillips.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    There are some great suggestions here, and i have to agree that Gladys, Dionne, Rufus and Chaka,Bobby Womack and the O'Jays are particular deserving cases. It is quite astounding that these magnificent artists have not been given the box sets that they deserve.Might i also add Al Green and the Dells to this list please?
    Al has had at least one boxed set, but if I remember correctly, it concentrated on the Hi recordings.

Might i also add Al Green and the Dells to this list please?
    Al Green received the 'box set' treatment with Anthology [[The Right Stuff/Capitol-1997). With 61 tracks over 4CDs covering the period from his first hit [[1967's "Back Up Train" with The Soul Mates) to the final recordings for Hi Records [["Belle", "Wait Here" & "Chariots Of Fire"). And I agree with you that The Dells deserve to a career-spanning box set.

I pretty much agree with all as well and especially my beloved Dells!

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    I submit a career-spanning box for Esther Phillips.
    That would be amazing, starting out with the Little Esther years & right up through 'A Way To Say Goodbye'. I wonder if there's anything in the vaults by Phillips?

Ray Charles.

But seriously, just wondering, why there is not really all that many deeply comprehensive reissues on his ABC catalog?

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    Ray Charles.

But seriously, just wondering, why there is not really all that many deeply comprehensive reissues on his ABC catalog?
    There was the Singular Genius-The ABC Singles [[Concord-2011) 5 CD collection. It was a limited edition set so it came and went. Before that, there was the two volume His Greatest Hits [[DCC-1987) collections which dealt with the 1961-1972 period at ABC. These came out early in the CD era and were far from comprehensive [[for me, they were a godsend at the time).

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Al Green received the 'box set' treatment with Anthology [[The Right Stuff/Capitol-1997). With 61 tracks over 4CDs covering the period from his first hit [[1967's "Back Up Train" with The Soul Mates) to the final recordings for Hi Records [["Belle", "Wait Here" & "Chariots Of Fire"). And I agree with you that The Dells deserve to a career-spanning box set.

Thank you for that. I somehow missed this one. Having said that i do have all the original albums but i shall investigate this one.

The New Birth....the most underrated of all soul bands.

The Sweet Inspirations

Shirley Brown.

I think of Shirley often. Wonder if she is still performing and/or might record again someday?

I feel that WAR deserves a comprehensive box set of their peak years in the '70s. They've have 2CD sets in the past but they don't really do justice to their work [[especially since they had long album tracks that were edited for their singles and various compilations).

Cmon, JUNIOR WALKER!

Quote Originally Posted by BritishTony View Post
    Cmon, JUNIOR WALKER!
    Yes, yes, and yes! Long overdue.

The O'Jays recorded for so many labels that it would be very hard to get everything licensed. I think their Bell, Neptune and Philadelphia International is with Sony/BMG and their Imperial, Capitol/EMI, and MCA are with Universal Music. Maybe a UK reissue label could get it done. They would surely do a nice job on the packaging too. Most of The Dells recordings are affiliated with Universal Music, so a box set would be more possible there. Maybe Universal UK can tackle it. I would be psyched to have at least a three disc set of Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes [[a CD of their 60s recordings for various labels like "My Hero" and "Get Out and Let Me Cry", a CD plus of their Teddy-led Philadelphia International recordings, a CD of their best David Ebo-led ABC/MCA recordings, and a couple of tracks from their mid-80s Philly World album). If anyone needs detailed liner notes with a group member timeline, it is the Blue Notes/Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes! As with the O'Jays, you have several labels involved, with many key recordings owned both of the two mega conglomerates Sony/BMG and Universal Music. Hard to imagine it happening, but I can dream.
    This is a great thread. I love everyone's suggestions. For Gladys Knight & the Pips, I make do with a Motown singles set, Gold which covers highlights throughout their career, and this one that has all of the singles from their Buddah and Columbia years: https://www.amazon.com/Midnight-Trai...ys+knight+pips .

Quote Originally Posted by JimBagley View Post
    The O'Jays recorded for so many labels that it would be very hard to get everything licensed. I think their Bell, Neptune and Philadelphia International is with Sony/BMG and their Imperial, Capitol/EMI, and MCA are with Universal Music. Maybe a UK reissue label could get it done. They would surely do a nice job on the packaging too. Most of The Dells recordings are affiliated with Universal Music, so a box set would be more possible there. Maybe Universal UK can tackle it. I would be psyched to have at least a three disc set of Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes [[a CD of their 60s recordings for various labels like "My Hero" and "Get Out and Let Me Cry", a CD plus of their Teddy-led Philadelphia International recordings, a CD of their best David Ebo-led ABC/MCA recordings, and a couple of tracks from their mid-80s Philly World album). If anyone needs detailed liner notes with a group member timeline, it is the Blue Notes/Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes! As with the O'Jays, you have several labels involved, with many key recordings owned both of the two mega conglomerates Sony/BMG and Universal Music. Hard to imagine it happening, but I can dream.
    This is a great thread. I love everyone's suggestions. For Gladys Knight & the Pips, I make do with a Motown singles set, Gold which covers highlights throughout their career, and this one that has all of the singles from their Buddah and Columbia years: https://www.amazon.com/Midnight-Trai...ys+knight+pips .
    I think that a comprehensive box set for The O'Jays could easily be done. There's only two large record conglomerates to cross-license the songs from [[and remember Sony's 4CD set, Love Train: The Sound Of Philadelphia, many songs on it were licensed from other labels).

Sylvester, The Pointer Sisters, Anita Baker