[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thelma Houston Reissues on SoulMusic.com

On the Soulmusic.com FB page David Nathan talks about a forthcoming release in September that features 4 of Thelma's albums plus 2 bonus tracks on a 2-CD set.

The titles are:-

The Devil In Me
    Ready To Roll
    Ride To The Rainbow
    Reachin' all around

https://www.facebook.com/SoulMusicRe...?fref=mentions

Wow.
    Great news. The Devil on me is a favourite of mine.
    I'll be after this CD no danger

Oooooooohhhh, great news

This is long overdue, and something to look forward to.

Definitely another one for my collection. Great work all.

I have needle drop mp3's on three of these and can't wait to get cleaned up remastered tracks. And The Devil In Me is one of my longed-for recordings! This is exciting news.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I have needle drop mp3's on three of these and can't wait to get cleaned up remastered tracks. And The Devil In Me is one of my longed-for recordings! This is exciting news.
    Same thom! I just need to have "Triflin" in CD quality!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by booty View Post
    On the Soulmusic.com FB page David Nathan talks about a forthcoming release in September that features 4 of Thelma's albums plus 2 bonus tracks on a 2-CD set.

The titles are:-

The Devil In Me
    Ready To Roll
    Ride To The Rainbow
    Reachin' all around

Thanks for the great information. Unfortunately, I cannot find anything about this release using the URL above.

https://www.facebook.com/SoulMusicRe...?fref=mentions
    Thanks for the information! Great news. Unfortunately I see nothing about it using the link provided here.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    Thanks for the information! Great news. Unfortunately I see nothing about it using the link provided here.
    Scroll down the page to the first video entry [[3 times) and you will see David talking about an interview with Thelma.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    It is definitely on the way, but it may not arrive in September. These releases are often subject to delays, but it will happen and that in itself is great news.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    It is definitely on the way, but it may not arrive in September. These releases are often subject to delays, but it will happen and that in itself is great news.
    Are you involved with the release?

I saw the thread too - and thought... wow. I will definitely be buying this one - I hope David Nathan is able to issue many more LP which so many of us will appreciate having in a quality CD.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...57647867767311They did such a good job on "Sunshower", Thelma's Mowest album and on "Any Way You Like It" I was expecting an "expanded" "The Devil In Me" next. Both "Ride To The Rainbow" and "The Devil In Me" have been made available on Japanese CD releases of course). But to have the remaining 2 on CD will be great.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...57647867767311
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 07-08-2018 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    Are you involved with the release?
    No i am not, but i do know the people that are involved with it.

[QUOTE=gordy_hunk;468356]I saw the thread too - and thought... wow. I will definitely be buying this one - I hope David Nathan is able to issue many more LP which so many of us will appreciate having in a quality CD.[/QU
    A lot will depend upon the sale of this cd. Some recent reissues have sold very poorly and if that continues they will cease to be released. It is up to us to support these releases and ensure that they continue.

This is exciting news, for sure! I have the Japanese CD release of "The Devil In Me", but I wasn't aware that "Ride To The Rainbow" had also been released on CD. It's just as well! This new 2-CD set covering Thelma's final 4 Motown albums will fill a gap in my Motown CD collection very nicely. Thanks for the heads up, booty!

Yes "Ride To The Rainbow" has been released twice [[at least) on CD by Univrsal Japan. One was in a Dance Floor Fillers series with cat PCD-7256 and more recently in a general run of many Motown releases as UICY-75858. Of course it will be well worth waiting for the Soul Music foursome. Amazing how many of her tracks were not on her albums though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    No i am not, but i do know the people that are involved with it.
    Thanks.

I'll certainly pick up the set. "Reachin' All Around My Love" is a favourite from Tata Vega's final Motown album, so it will be interesting to hear Thelma's take.

It would be great if Soul Music Records gather up Gloria Gaynor's final three albums for Polydor in a similar fashion.
    Last edited by smallworld; 07-09-2018 at 05:46 AM.

Name:  CDs.jpg
Views: 2050
Size:  36.5 KB
    These are the two that were issued by P-Vine in 2016
    I still have a copy of each one still sealed.

Wouldn't it be great if the bonus tracks were the two from the "Motown Sings Motown Superstars" LP that have never been released on CD - "Reach Out I'll Be There" and "I Wanna Be Where You Are".
    Name:  41986154125_b4ed454449_z.jpg
Views: 1540
Size:  44.1 KB
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 07-09-2018 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Wouldn't it be great if the bonus tracks were the two from the "Motown Sings Motown Superstars" LP that have never been released on CD - "Reach Out I'll Be There" and "I Wanna Be Where You Are".
    Name:  41986154125_b4ed454449_z.jpg
Views: 1540
Size:  44.1 KB
    Yes, it would be great if those are the two additional bonus tracks. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Thelma recorded those two tracks!? Why have I never heard of this!!? "I Wanna Be Where You Are" is one of my favourite songs!!!!!

Great version right here!! Cleaned up CD quality would make it even better!

I think one of the bonus tracks will be "If You Won't Let Me Walk On The Water"

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Thelma recorded those two tracks!? Why have I never heard of this!!? "I Wanna Be Where You Are" is one of my favourite songs!!!!!
    I like to bring you gifts.

http://www.imwan.com/phpBB3/viewtopi...d205cd38074f8f

Description
    SoulMusic Records is very proud to present its latest reissue of classic recordings from the globally ever-popular Motown catalogue, four stellar albums [[with two additional bonus tracks) by the super-talented Thelma Houston, a mainstay artist at Motown from 1971-1979, worthy additions to previous SMR reissues of Thelma’s Motown work, including expanded editions of “The MoWest Album”, “Any Way You Like It” and two albums with Jerry Butler, “Thelma & Jerry/Two To One”.

THE DEVIL IN ME [[1977), READY TO ROLL [[1978) and RIDE TO THE RAINBOW [[1979) focus on her work in the wake of the international success of her timeless cover of ‘Don’t Leave Me This Way’, which catapulted Thelma to worldwide mainstream recognition.

Like READY TO ROLL, the album REACHIN’ ALL AROUND [[a 1982 collection of material released after Thelma left Motown in 1979) is making its worldwide first release on CD. Included on the [[37) musically-satisfying tracks featured here are the charted hits, ‘I’m Here Again’ and ‘Saturday Night, Sunday Morning’ [[Reissue producer’s note: the original READY TO ROLL LP included an edited version of this track; time restrictions did not allow its inclusion on this reissue).

Also included, two bonus tracks, 1977’s ‘If You Won’t Let Me Walk On The Water’, a non-album ‘B’ side and 1978’s ‘Love Masterpiece’, from the soundtrack of the popular movie, “Thank God It’s Friday”.

Working with top producers including Hal Davis, Michael Masser, Van McCoy and Brian Holland, Thelma demonstrated her distinctive vocal style in full effect on a range of material from her covers of The Miracles’ ‘Love Machine’ to an imaginative medley of ‘Stormy Weather’ and Ann Peebles’ ‘I Can’t Stand The Rain’ to the Stevie Wonder-Syreeta- penned ‘Just A Little Piece Of You’ and key tracks such as ‘Memories’, ‘Rhythm Of Love’, ‘Your Eyes’, ‘Imaginary Paradise’, ‘Am I Expecting Too Much’ and ‘Don’t Wonder Why’.

Liner notes by SMR’s David Nathan include 2018 commentary from Thelma along with superb CHERRY RED RECORDS * Tel 0208 9 mastering by Nick Robbins and great artwork by Roger Williams.

Tracklist
    [CD1: The Devil In Me / Ready To Roll]
    The Devil In Me:
    1. I’m Here Again
    2. It’s Just Me Feeling Good
    3. I Can’t Go On Living Without Your Love
    4. Triflin’
    5. Give Me Something To Believe In
    6. Memories
    7. I’ve Got The Devil In Me
    8. Baby, I Love You Too Much
    9. Your Eyes
    Bonus Track:
    10. If You Won’t Let Me Walk On The Water [[Non-Album ‘B’ Side)
    Ready To Roll:
    11. Love Is Comin’ On
    12. I Wanna Start My Life All Over Again
    13. Midnight Mona
    14. Pardon Me
    15. Everybody’s Got A Story
    16. Strange
    17. Am I Expecting Too Much
    18. Can’t We Try

[CD2: Ride To The Rainbow / Reachin’ All Around]
    Ride To The Rainbow:
    1. Saturday Night, Sunday Morning
    2. I Wanna Be Back In Love Again
    3. Love Machine
    4. Imaginary Paradise
    5. Just A Little Piece Of You
    6. Ride To The Rainbow
    7. Paying For It With My Heart
    8. Give It To Me
    Reachin’ All Around:
    9. You Never Were My Friend
    10. Reachin’ All Around My Love
    11. I Can’t Go Home Again
    12. Lies
    13. Don’t Wonder Why
    14. I Never Took No For An Answer
    15. Rhythm Of Love
    16. [[I’ve Given You) The Best Years Of My Life
    17. Little Bit Of Heaven And A Little Bit Of Hell
    18. Medley: Stormy Weather/I Can’t Stand The Rain
    Bonus Track:
    19. Love Masterpiece [[From ‘Thank God It’s Friday’ O/S/T)Name:  THELMA-HOUSTON-555x555.jpg
Views: 2379
Size:  72.9 KB
    Last edited by jack020; 07-23-2018 at 03:22 AM.

Thanks for this exciting news, Jack! I knew it was coming but you've nailed it in detail. Can hardly wait!

"Love Masterpiece" YESSSS!!!

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/.../#tab_test_tab

Like READY TO ROLL, the album REACHIN’ ALL AROUND [[a 1982 collection of material released after Thelma left Motown in 1979) is making its worldwide first release on CD. Included on the [[37) musically-satisfying tracks featured here are the charted hits, ‘I’m Here Again’ and ‘Saturday Night, Sunday Morning’ [[Reissue producer’s note: the original READY TO ROLL LP included an edited version of this track; time restrictions did not allow its inclusion on this reissue).
    Last edited by smallworld; 07-23-2018 at 09:19 PM.

I believe this is the Ready to Roll version.

The Ride to the Rainbow version:

Fantastic song

It took a while, but I finally got it. In case anyone else was confused by the producer's note, I had completely forgotten that Thelma's "Saturday Night, Sunday Morning" was included on both her "Ready To Roll" album [[in a short, edited, 3+ minute version) AND her "Ride To The Rainbow" album [[in a full, 6+ minute version). Due to time constraints, they're simply leaving out the shorter version which would also prevent duplication. [[At first, I thought they were leaving "Saturday Night, Sunday Morning" off altogether! I KNEW that couldn't be right. Heaven forbid!)

But is the shorter version a different mix? And if it was the original version, isn't it more correct to describe the later release as an Extended Version? It may seem pedantic but I question the wisdom of such revisionism.

I bought Tata Vega's Try My Love a while back. I wouldn't have been pleased if Andy Skurow had elected to substitute the 12" version of "Just Keep Thinking About You Baby" for the shorter LP version "to prevent duplication". Andy wisely included both versions, thereby respecting the original album's integrity.

I don't remember the two versions sounding any different, smallworld. As the producer's note stated, the shorter version was an "edited" version of the full-length version which implies that they're from the same mix.

As regards SNSM, I don’t have the original LPs, but I have two markedly different vocals of the track on two different Thelma comps. The first is the 6+ minute version from 1991’s BEST OF THELMA HOUSTON [from the GREATEST HITS AND RARE CLASSICS series]; the shorter alternate vocal version is included on Spectrum’s best-of-Thelma [which shares the same title as the Motown comp]. Can some Thelma completist chime in and confirm which appeared on which original album?

On the CD of "Ride To The Rainbow", SNSM runs to 6:20 which corresponds with the extended version on the US "Best Of" CD [[MOTD5492)

On the UK Spectrum "Best Of" the track runs to 3:56 whereas it's 3:40 on the "Don't Leave Me This Way" compilation [[31455-1070-2) and 3:35 on the Britannia "Motown The History" series CD [[31453-0718-2).

I've taken some time to compare the 3:56 and 6:19 versions of "Saturday Night, Sunday Morning". The 3:56 is not simply edited down from the 6:19. There are vocal parts that are quite different, not to mention some different mix choices.

The first thing that jumped out on me is that Thelma's opening line on the 12"/Rainbow version is truncated slightly. Compare the opening "W" of "We're fooled by first impressions" in the 12" version [[circa 0:41) to the 3:56 version [[circa 0:27).

This rough 'n' ready approach to vocal editing continues on the 12" version. At 1:27 on the 3:56 version, the lyric is as follows: "Yeah, baby / Make me feel so happy / When I'm lying here beside you". On the 12" version, the remixer made an abrupt cut after "Yeah" [[circa 1:41), discarding the "baby" entirely. It's a bizarre choice as this doesn't give way to a proper instrumental break. The next lyric [["Make me feel so happy") comes in quite soon after, so we're just left with a messy edit with no payoff.

The other really abrupt vocal edit happens at the "Shine, shining / Shine, shining" section of the 12", at the lyric "Oo-wee baby, sh-" [[the "sh-" is what's left of the word "shine"), which gives way to an instrumental break. What's most notable here is that the "Shine, shining" section is very stripped back in terms of mix [[3:04 onwards). This section is not similarly stripped on the 3:56 version [[listen circa 2:50), with strings and backing vocals present.

The long instrumental break of the 12" introduces an extra percussive element at 3:56 that remains for the rest of the track. I can't hear this element on the Ready to Roll version. If it's there, it's certainly not mixed up front like the 12", so again, we're talking noticeable mix differences here.

On the 12" version, Thelma comes back in at 5:04 with the lyric "Saturday Night / IS shining". The comparable part on the 3:56 version begins at 3:16 with "Saturday Night / Keeps on shining". Thelma's ad libs sound quite different between the two versions for the remainder of the song. Most noticeably, on the fade of the 3:56 version, Thelma goes higher on the lyric "Sunday Morning face, baby!" [[circa. 3:48). She sounds like Gladys Knight here. This ad lib is not present on the 12" version.
    Last edited by smallworld; 07-25-2018 at 02:09 PM.

Here's a thread from Pat Downey's site, which concludes that the 3:56 version was edited down to 3:40 for the 45.

http://www.top40musiconcd.com/forum/...?TID=2822&PN=1

The song was recently played on the Netflix TV series "Dear White People."

I've taken some time to compare the 3:56 and 6:19 versions of "Saturday Night, Sunday Morning". The 3:56 is not simply edited down from the 6:19. There are vocal parts that are quite different, not to mention some different mix choices.

The first thing that jumped out on me is that Thelma's opening line on the 12"/Rainbow version is truncated slightly. Compare the opening "W" of "We're fooled by first impressions" in the 12" version [[circa 0:41) to the 3:56 version [[circa 0:27).

This rough 'n' ready approach to vocal editing continues on the 12" version. At 1:27 on the 3:56 version, the lyric is as follows: "Yeah, baby / Make me feel so happy / When I'm lying here beside you". On the 12" version, the remixer made an abrupt cut after "Yeah" [[circa 1:41), discarding the "baby" entirely. It's a bizarre choice as this doesn't give way to a proper instrumental break. The next lyric [["Make me feel so happy") comes in quite soon after, so we're just left with a messy edit with no payoff.

The other really abrupt vocal edit happens at the "Shine, shining / Shine, shining" section of the 12", at the lyric "Oo-wee baby, sh-" [[the "sh-" is what's left of the word "shine"), which gives way to an instrumental break. What's most notable here is that the "Shine, shining" section is very stripped back in terms of mix [[3:04 onwards). This section is not similarly stripped on the 3:56 version [[listen circa 2:50), with strings and backing vocals present.

The long instrumental break of the 12" introduces an extra percussive element at 3:56 that remains for the rest of the track. I can't hear this element on the Ready to Roll version. If it's there, it's certainly not mixed up front like the 12", so again, we're talking noticeable mix differences here.

On the 12" version, Thelma comes back in at 5:04 with the lyric "Saturday Night / IS shining". The comparable part on the 3:56 version begins at 3:16 with "Saturday Night / Keeps on shining". Thelma's ad libs sound quite different between the two versions for the remainder of the song. Most noticeably, on the fade of the 3:56 version, Thelma goes higher on the lyric "Sunday Morning face, baby!" [[circa. 3:48). She sounds like Gladys Knight here. This ad lib is not present on the 12" version.
    Good work smallworld! One of the things that always annoyed me about the 12 inch were the jarring edits you mention. You've now got me interested enough to go back and compare them myself, the single version versus the 12 inch.
    This is a Hal Davis project , and I'm sure he was disappointed that this didn't take. It wasn't for lack of trying. Motown seems to have properly worked this song, remixing it into a longer version and making it commercially available [[also putting the song on two albums). And the b side of that 12" is a beautiful INSTRUMENTAL version, in which Hal Davis' intricate studio work really shines and can be best appreciated.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 07-25-2018 at 04:07 PM.

Thanks so much for this in-depth analysis!

You got me listening to Thelma! SNSM is my favorite. Besides not being the same ole disco groove, I have experienced the lyrics [[I hope everyone has sometime). I'm partial to the Ready to Roll version 'cause I heard it first on that album. On my queue right now: SNSM, Midnight Mona [[don't put nothin' past her!), I'm Here Again, I Can't Go On Living Without Your Love [[the best Holland brothers return-to-Motown, imo), Am I Expecting Too Much, Can't We Try. Just dancin' and mellowin' out. Thank you, Thelma.

Wow, wow, wow! Thanks for this smallworld! I wish I had ears that picked up nuances as yours have.

Lucky2012:
    I Can't Go On Living Without Your Love is my favorite TH song
    Love the instrumental intro!

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Lucky2012:
    I Can't Go On Living Without Your Love is my favorite TH song
    Love the instrumental intro!
    I do, too, Jack020! But it's just one of the many amazing iconic intros by Holland-Dozier-Holland. Motown, in general, knew the importance of the intro to pull the listener into the song.

I was hoping for the two songs she did for the Bingo Long and the Traveling All Stars Soundtrack also.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTOWNLYNDA View Post
    I was hoping for the two songs she did for the Bingo Long and the Traveling All Stars Soundtrack also.
    If you’re open to mp3s, they’re readily available, last I checked.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    If you’re open to mp3s, they’re readily available, last I checked.
    Thanks, I will check them out.