[REMOVE ADS]

"I Hear A Symphony" Vs. Love Unlimited "It May Be Winter"

Have any of you noticed the incredible similarities between "I Hear A Symphony" and the Love Unlimited, Barry White-penned song "It May Be Winter Outside [[But In My Heart It's Spring)"? If not, check it out...

I recently purchased the new Love Unlimited CD "The UNI, MCA, and 20th Century Records Singles, 1972-1975," and I was re-acquainting myself with the group and their hits, I was kinda bowled over by the likeness between the Supremes/HDH classic and the Love Unlimited song. I mean... WOW!!! It is a wonder that Barry White was not sued by Holland Dozier Holland and their publishers.

For the record, the Love Unlimited CD is really, really, really good. I recall enjoying the group back in the day; I had a couple of their albums, though it has literally been decades since I have listened to Love Unlimited. I was missing out... Good girl-group sound.

Close but not exactly. Same Supremes album, though. Winter is a sound-alike of Everthing's Good About You. Yeah, I wondered why Motown never did anything about it. Love both but Everything's Good has the edge.

Love Unlimited's "It May Be Winter Outside" doesn't sound much like "I Hear A Symphony" at all but it is a dead ringer for "Everything's Good About You" [[although it is better than The Supremes production IMHO).

Barry White first recorded and released It May Be Winter Outside on Felice Taylor in early 1967.

This was years before his 70's mega-success with his own music and the female trio Love Unlimited. The song was on Love Unlimited's album Under the Influence... a lush, romantic album that included Love's Theme by the Love Unlimited Orchestra. It is a gorgeous production by Barry White.

Felice Taylor's single release was simpler but I immediately recognized the melody. People thought she was deliberately imitating the Supremes [[this was a few months before they became Diana Ross & The Supremes). I remember thinking that if she was it was not a very good imitation. I do remember a writer in a magazine or paper asking the question "What does the Supremes' Diana Ross think of Felice Taylor? or better yet, what does Motown think of the whole situation?!"

Revered music arranger Gene Page is given credit for helping and guiding Barry White [[who couldn't read or write music, at least in the early years). Apparently, Gene took Barry to a recording session where Holland-Dozier-Holland was cutting Forever Came Today for Diana Ross & the Supremes.

Gene Page is legendary. Among his credits for hundreds of recordings, he was Phil Spector's arranger on You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling by the Righteous Brothers. I thank him for the gorgeous arrangement of Diana Ross' I thought It Took a Little Time [[But Today I Fell in Love).

In the middle and late sixties Barry cut a number of sides on Felice Taylor and Viola Wills, attempting to replicate the Hitsville Sound. [[Taylor also recorded the original version of "Under The Influence of Love.") His efforts were good, but the results were more like Ric-Tic and Golden World stuff: close but no cigar. I enjoy them for what they are, though.

I-I-I Feel Love Comin' On.