[REMOVE ADS]

The Undisputed Truth - Smiling Faces Sometimes

Tell 'em Joe Pep!

Magnificent!! And that band...sounds so close to the studio track.

How long ago is this performance ??

Quote Originally Posted by dickiemint View Post
    How long ago is this performance ??
    Fellow forum member TJ Lubinsky produced this program. Maybe he can tell us.

This is a wonderful performance - and each time that the camera goes to the musicians, each one also appears to be really enjoying it too.

Thanks Marv for finding this clip.

Quote Originally Posted by gordy_hunk View Post
    This is a wonderful performance - and each time that the camera goes to the musicians, each one also appears to be really enjoying it too.

Thanks Marv for finding this clip.
    You're most welcome Gordy_hunk

It was filmed in Dec 2004. The woman on the left is Jaki Fondren. She is now a member of Kat's Marvelettes.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    It was filmed in Dec 2004. The woman on the left is Jaki Fondren. She is now a member of Kat's Marvelettes.
    I ran into Joe "Pep" Harris at the Motown in Black and White exhibit by Nancy & Al Abrams in Detroit about 3 years ago. He does not age!

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Magnificent!! And that band...sounds so close to the studio track.
    It sounds too close to the studio track! Did you notice that the song fades at the end just like the record? I don’t think that would happen with live musicians.

Quote Originally Posted by mowest View Post
    It sounds too close to the studio track! Did you notice that the song fades at the end just like the record? I don’t think that would happen with live musicians.
    You've made a good point. I didn't even notice the fadeout...I was so enamored with the overall performance.

I actually downloaded the YouTube video and synced it with the original backing track and they synced perfectly. I still enjoy this video though.

Wow! I can't believe it actually took someone pointing out the fade before it was recognized that they were performing to the studio track, that's amazing! That was obvious from the very first note. Even the stereo panning of the music is identical to the studio track. The muted horns and strings, and the rhythm guitar are panned to the right, and the maracas and additional background vocals are panned to the left. Also, there's no drummer on stage, no bass player, just one guitarist and the horn and string ensembles. When you see the musicians what they are seen doing doesn't match up with what's being heard musically. I really like that they used the studio track, that's cool, but they should have at least had a full rhythm section on stage if they were trying to give the impression that it was supposed to be a live performance. It sounds great, but it doesn't look right at all.

Quote Originally Posted by brothadc View Post
    Wow! I can't believe it actually took someone pointing out the fade before it was recognized that they were performing to the studio track, that's amazing! That was obvious from the very first note. Even the stereo panning of the music is identical to the studio track. The muted horns and strings, and the rhythm guitar are panned to the right, and the maracas and additional background vocals are panned to the left. Also, there's no drummer on stage, no bass player, just one guitarist and the horn and string ensembles. When you see the musicians what they are seen doing doesn't match up with what's being heard musically. I really like that they used the studio track, that's cool, but they should have at least had a full rhythm section on stage if they were trying to give the impression that it was supposed to be a live performance. It sounds great, but it doesn't look right at all.
    My ears and eyes are NOWHERE near the levels of most of those who post here. There have been some things pointed out in recordings and live performances that I simply never noticed before. I guess that's the difference between a casual fan and a diehard fan.

I also noticed a curious vocal doubling on the “Beware of the handshake that hides a snake” line. Live-to-track for sure; weird that they didn’t use a purely instrumental track.